HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

NBIAA 2011-2012

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
obcnamtaf

PostSubject: NBIAA 2011-2012    Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:57 am

A lot a good discussion in other threads about school size , playing up, playing down, who is gonna win , who isn't , two divisions , 3 divisions or 4...so this year is the third year for two divisions....the issue is up for discussion at the NBIAA AGM....we've been predicting who is gonna win and lose this season....any predictions on whether we will will have
a) status quo - two divisions
b) three divisions
c) four divisions
for next years NBIAA sports calendar ??

Thoughts anyone ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: NBIAA 2011-2012    Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:12 pm

It will not matter what we want. The NBIAA will do whatever they want. The vote last AGM was something like 70-6 in favour of 4 divisions for playoff purposes. The NBIAA then went and did another vote to the principals, with a lot of principals not responding. These non votes were counted as NO. It was rediculous. Hopefully they go back to A, AA and AAA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CharlotteCountyBall

PostSubject: Re: NBIAA 2011-2012    Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:54 pm

If i were eligible to cast a vote, it would be for the quadrouple divisions or aka 'AAAA' however you wanna call it like some provinces (ie. NFLD, BC) or just simply AA/AAA with the tier process. The three divisions developed good rivalries against communities and schools roughly the same size and great competition. For an example (McAdam vs Harvey, GM vs Campobello). The 'AA' present league still has the same mind set in the 'A' with only few major schools staying stationary in the move (Dalhousie and Sugarloaf). The point im trying to get across is their's no hopes in Blackville, MFR, SJDA, TVHS up against borderline 'AAA' schools like Dalhousie and Sugarloaf, but DPCS has proven us wrong to have a great coaching system and to make something out of their size which is a rare occurence with a 50 student high school wing. And speaking for the present 'AAA' theres no tension, passion, competition when you have hometown schools like Riverview playing L'ecole O'dysee. And to speak for all for Saint John schools who havent had a championship even play-off contending team in 3 years being the most urban city in the province! To state my reasons down in a chart will come clearer to more people. If i were to run the show, Coaches can pick after they selected their desired team, whether to stay at their current school size or promote to a higher level based on there skill set.

This is my vision of a good provincial high school basketball format would be if this was to take place this year based on counterparts of school size and also schools skill, experience. Also to note that this is what it would look like if you had coaches set their team to either to stay or promote to their desired skill level:

'A' or 'AA' Tier 2: Minto, SJDA, Blackville, TVHS, John Caldwell, Nackawic, ESA, MFR, BRHS, Caledonia etc

'AA' or 'AA' Tier 1": GMCS, Harvey, McAdam, Campobello, Fundy, Sugarloaf, DPCS, CNBA etc

'AAA' or 'AAA' Tier 2: SJHS, HVHS, St. Malachys, Simonds, Hampton, L'Ecole Odysee, MVHS, Dalhousie, James. M. Hill, Tantramar, Oromocto etc

'AAAA' or 'AAA' Tier 1: FHS, Leo Hayes, KVHS, Sussex, Riverview, Bathurst, Moncton, St. Stephen
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: NBIAA 2011-2012    Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:04 pm

CharlotteCountyBall wrote:

This is my vision of a good provincial high school basketball format would be if this was to take place this year based on counterparts of school size and also schools skill, experience. Also to note that this is what it would look like if you had coaches set their team to either to stay or promote to their desired skill level:

'A' or 'AA' Tier 2: Minto, SJDA, Blackville, TVHS, John Caldwell, Nackawic, ESA, MFR, BRHS, Caledonia etc

'AA' or 'AA' Tier 1": GMCS, Harvey, McAdam, Campobello, Fundy, Sugarloaf, DPCS, CNBA etc

'AAA' or 'AAA' Tier 2: SJHS, HVHS, St. Malachys, Simonds, Hampton, L'Ecole Odysee, MVHS, Dalhousie, James. M. Hill, Tantramar, Oromocto etc

'AAAA' or 'AAA' Tier 1: FHS, Leo Hayes, KVHS, Sussex, Riverview, Bathurst, Moncton, St. Stephen

This makes sense to me and I like it. The only two issues would be as follows:

- What is the criteria or opporunity for moving up and down levels or tiers? This is obviously not done by school size, rather program strength (traditionally)? So who and how do you decide who goes where? Also these are great for basketball but lousy for other sports so would schools be tiered and leveled sport to sport???

- I'm not a big fan of this not knowing every year or even every 3 years what the leagues are going to be. Schools and areas can't make program and long term decisions about sports and interest this way. Whatever comes out of this meeting needs to be more permanent and felixible enough that people aren't going to be looking to change it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CharlotteCountyBall

PostSubject: Re: NBIAA 2011-2012    Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:09 pm

CoachDJR wrote:
CharlotteCountyBall wrote:

This makes sense to me and I like it. The only two issues would be as follows:

- What is the criteria or opporunity for moving up and down levels or tiers? This is obviously not done by school size, rather program strength (traditionally)? So who and how do you decide who goes where? Also these are great for basketball but lousy for other sports so would schools be tiered and leveled sport to sport???

- I'm not a big fan of this not knowing every year or even every 3 years what the leagues are going to be. Schools and areas can't make program and long term decisions about sports and interest this way. Whatever comes out of this meeting needs to be more permanent and felixible enough that people aren't going to be looking to change it.

Oh yes this is based on the skill set, also the rule would be. if your not so hot on your team this year, demote yourself and the team back to your school size level
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: NBIAA 2011-2012    Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:33 pm

No system would be perfect, that's for sure. In this format, TV Sr girls would be in the bottom tier, and they are as good as any AAA school today. I am not sure what the answer is, all I know is that the participation alone was much better in the 3 tier system we had for so many years. Now, in sports like baseball, JV boys volleyball, etc, there is only one tier, AAA, whereas in the old system there was at least 2 or 3 tiers in every sport.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: NBIAA 2011-2012    Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:34 pm

The classes are just too big. That is why some schools have lost programs. Nobody likes getting beat by huge scores. When we had the three classes there was more sports being played.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: NBIAA 2011-2012    Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:57 pm

baller24 wrote:
The classes are just too big. That is why some schools have lost programs. Nobody likes getting beat by huge scores. When we had the three classes there was more sports being played.

One of the reasons the classes were put into 2 was specifically to make them bigger. Principals (the ones who get to decide in theory) wanted less travel and to avoid as many interlocked leagues in multiple sports.

I totally get the lack of teams playing things, but in most sports that have leagues the top teams are stronger and there are more of them. Instead of 2-3 teams dominating 3 leagues you've got 4-8 teams that can all give each other a game at the top. The real problem is in the gap of between those top teams and everyone else in the major sports along with the number of teams at the bottom.

The Nackawic's and Petti's of the world were no better off in AA basketball when they had to play Rothesay, Woodstock, Tantramar and CNHS. There are just now more clearer top and bottom teams. No one was crying for re-alignment for Blackville was getting killed in A, or JCHS in AA, or Hampton in AAA. It was just the way it was. Now people just want to use that as a reason to say we need to go back to the way it was.

I think the alignment issue is a real problem, but the way it was before is now is really no better from a competitive standpoint then what we have now. Just more travel, and some traditionally stronger schools get to go back to being traditionally stronger because of a lack of depth in those divisions.

Until we can come up with a way to play localized, meaningful schedules and then allow teams to compete in a meaningful playoff at their level I don't know what the easy answer is.

To me the simple and easiest answer is to have the AA and AAA divisions as is then at playoff time if you qualify for playoffs you play it out. If you don't then you play tier 2 playoffs in each. That way when you end up more meaninful balanced games late, 4 champs AAA t1 -t2, AA t1-t2. It would be easy to manage. Nothing changes except you have more playoff games.

This isn't perfect either but it seems the simplest to me to give everyone what they want.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: NBIAA 2011-2012    Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:02 pm

Your theory of the tiering system was a huge hit at the AGM. It is unfortunate that the NBIAA took it upon theirselves to stop it by having another vote that was poorly answered. There was no need for this vote as the membership sent a strong message to the NBIAA at the AGM. Nothing will get fixed until they stop doing whatever they want!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: NBIAA 2011-2012    Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:21 pm

baller24 wrote:
Your theory of the tiering system was a huge hit at the AGM. It is unfortunate that the NBIAA took it upon theirselves to stop it by having another vote that was poorly answered. There was no need for this vote as the membership sent a strong message to the NBIAA at the AGM. Nothing will get fixed until they stop doing whatever they want!

Actually this is less elaborate then the proposed tierring system last year.

The original proposal allowed for schools of a certain size in each league to decide which playoff system to enter while others would have been stuck in tier 1 because of their size.

The changed proposal the NBIAA sent to principals required teams to be tiered specficially by school size without room for movement during the trial period.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: NBIAA 2011-2012    Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:16 pm

I actually like this tier system as you describe it now, probably the best solution on the table.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NBIAA 2011-2012    Today at 4:59 pm

Back to top Go down

NBIAA 2011-2012
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1