HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

So you can dunk in the warm up!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:22 pm

I witnessed a player dunk the ball 6 times during a game warm up this week. There were high fives and big smiles all around, I was expecting big things.

During the game he scored zero points and his team lost by 96.

You want some ketchup with that hot dog?
Back to top Go down
Boas 98-02

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:29 pm

HAHA lots of kids can dunk I'm noticing, very few do it in a game. The majority of kids that dunk aren't noticed when the game starts, it's weird! And scorekeep, I'm a mustard fan lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ForceHimLeft

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:05 pm

scorekeep wrote:
I witnessed a player dunk the ball 6 times during a game warm up this week. There were high fives and big smiles all around, I was expecting big things.

During the game he scored zero points and his team lost by 96.

You want some ketchup with that hot dog?
hahahaha. point proven, thanks for the laugh.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:58 pm

I relish the thought of someone dunking in warmup.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boas 98-02

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:14 pm

baller24 wrote:
I relish the thought of someone dunking in warmup.

chachacha, nice lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
obcnamtaf

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:38 am

sorry guys....no matter what your favorite condiments are....you wanna see dunking...gotta see a BHS game...not just the warm-up ( though they do a nice one where the guard tosses it off the side edge of the backboard and the big kid comes behinnd him , catches it and throws it down with two hands) the game dunks, like off the opening tap , they run a back door screen for an ally-oop two handed power dunk......also the kids from other schools that have been postered by the BHS big kid...it has been a long time since high school ball in NB has seen a kid that can throw it down like this...then the kid from KV goes to the rim with power and throws it down in a crowd( not just warm-up)....enjoy your small school warm-up staged dunks Boa , but in the real world of AAA there are kids that throw it down hard regularly....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Maripac30

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:05 am

Personally I think dunking is one of the most overrated skills in sport. It is really not that big a deal when you are 6'5. Now a small kid dunking is a different story. Like the kid from Oshawa who played in the Dalhousie tournament a couple of years back. He was about 5'10 and could fly. HE was impressive.
Yeah the BHS big laid in some nice ones this weekend in the Dal tournament. He also missed 3 in the semi against DRHS. On the third one he fell hard into the wall, landed on his ass. Hate to think you would lose your all star big on a nothing play in a 40 point game cause he wants to show off.
The BHS big definitely dominates the game (especially now since he has Daley there to keep his head under control) , but does it with his ability to control the boards at both ends ( rebounding , shot blocking and second chance points) and his ability to back off and shoot the 3 on a consistent basis. Not because he goes "Showtime" a couple of times in a game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
obcnamtaf

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:21 am

hahahaha...maripac...excellent points and all true...You sound like you must be a coach...but for thus of us who pay a few bucks to get in to a high school game and watch , we enjoy a little "showtime"....it's kind of like fighting in hockey , an unnecessary , dangerous part of the game....but the rink sure gets louder when it happens and people go to the games , because of the chance to see it happen... just sayin....
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:26 am

Remember my comment was about slamming in warm up and getting the BIG ZERO on the score sheet. Dunking in a game is cool however dunking in the warm up is like kissing your sister, its a kiss but its your sister.
Back to top Go down
obcnamtaf

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:24 pm

BHS beat up on ESN in a Northern Conference lague game....their big kid #21 ....had 29 points in 15 minutes of floor time....24 of them on dunks......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Maripac30

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:19 am

obcnamtaf wrote:
BHS beat up on ESN in a Northern Conference lague game....their big kid #21 ....had 29 points in 15 minutes of floor time....24 of them on dunks......
Sorry just not that impressed. But I shouldn't be too harsh, it's not everyone who has the opportunity to return to their former school, the one you left for "greener basketball pastures", and embarrass the players and program you bailed on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
salmonking

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:38 am

thats funny!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
salmonking

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:46 am

ESN has had some good players come out of that school only to lose them to BHS, 2 yrs ago they could have had Kamba, Branch and States, Good opportunity for any coach wanting to start a basketball program, they have the numbers>>
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Maripac30

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:15 pm

salmonking wrote:
ESN has had some good players come out of that school only to lose them to BHS, 2 yrs ago they could have had Kamba, Branch and States, Good opportunity for any coach wanting to start a basketball program, they have the numbers>>
Matt Nowlen was also at ESN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
obcnamtaf

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:52 pm

Sorry guys , be jealous if you want....but no matter how many good athletes ESN has had in the past , they just do not get the coaching or support from their school , for the sport of basketball...this years ESN varsity team has 6 games on its schedule ( not counting the ones they play before Nov 1st).....they are given gym time by the school , two days a week , two hours at a time...that's it ..and the JV and varsity teams have to share it... and they have to fight to get that . Volleyball and soccer (club teams ) get the rest.
It's easy to criticize but I personally can't blame those kids that left ESN for "Greener pastures" rather than stay in the "barren wasteland" that is ESN basketball.
Their JV team will likely be top two in AAA JV Northern Conference this year but will not play outside the north or in any tournaments, this year or at the varsity level...just their 10-12 league games and provincials...when they leave the north and lose , they quit....no school support...not a long line up for coaching volunteers....maybe some of you guys that are criticizing the bathurst guys could sign up to coach and build the esn program...then kids won't bail.....
Last night ESN had 6 players. 4 showed up 20 minutes late and game was a half hour late getting started.....that irked some BHS players and fans....this school registered nbiaa at the last minute...messed up the season schedule for bhs....show up late for games...show no respect for BHS or its players or their program or the sport. Every other sport in that school (the ones they are good at ) they show up early , are ready to go and are the first to pound the crap out of opponents...11-0 soccer wins over JMH as an example...when it happens to them everyone is quick to jump to their defense....BHS played its bench kept the score under 100 and entertained what was a fairly decent crowd for a little bit....so easy to pass judgement...aint it :-)
Thinkin "glass houses" here Maripac...weren't there some kids that transferred to your school a few years back to help make them competitive at AAA ?..... just sayin hahahahahaha!
As for dunking , not as easy to do as people think, even if your 6'5". It requires a lot of athleticism and skill to do. There are a lot of 'bigs" in NB who can't do it except in warm up.( i am betting if they could they would ) Ironically the most I have seen it done in game play is from Northern schools. The big kid from DRHS would do it on a regular basis last year , and now the BHS player this year. I am seeing it as a sign that athleticism and skill are growing among Basketball players in NB....another good thing.

" don't blow out someone elses candle , just to make yours shine brighter " ;-)
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:10 pm

Now this topic is interesting . . .

I love sitting in meetings and listening to coaches say that people should just build programs if they want to compete. You've got places in this province where you have kids and coaches that want to compete, but they are told they can have half gyms 2/3 times a week for 90 minute practices in season and out of season may not be in the gym. That isn't kids or coaches that is schools and communities.

You've got some schools that try to enforce fairplay policies or no cuts playing under the same rules and same leagues as schools with multiple practice facilities, going 5-6 times a week in and out of sesason.

This is why blowouts happen.

Yeah there are also schools and teams and coaches who don't respect a sport or all sports and incur the wrath of schools who give a crap. There are also schools that know they are just putting in teams to improve and play hard that are subjected to teams made up of elite kids all interested in banners and playing at higher level.

Yeah people could register exh (which seems more popular lately) but if the schools don't want to run a competitive program my guess is they don't have the commitment to find and travel to games all over this province and they only way they get games guaranteed close to home is if they play in a league.

NBIAA is currently in charge of legislating every type of sport team at one of the highest levels in the province, with a huge number of schools that all have a very different view point on what high school sport should be.

But sure lets just go build a program Wink

Last edited by CoachDJR on Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Maripac30

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:47 pm

obcnamtaf wrote:
Thinkin "glass houses" here Maripac...weren't there some kids that transferred to your school a few years back to help make them competitive at AAA ?..... just sayin hahahahahaha!
Actually those kids live within the boundaries for our school and were technically supposed to be going to our school all along Wink .

just sayin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
whoknows11

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:22 pm

Well Brad and the Matt kid transferred in grade 10 because the program at ESN was not serious and they wanted a chance to excell at there game. In my opinion they made the best decision. The big kid for BHS is now one of the most talked about players in the province. If he stayed at Esn who knows how he would turn out as a player. They love the game and want to excell as players and now they will have a run at the AAA championship with there new team at BHS.

For the dunking during games and the difference in warmups. Alot of kids can dunk in Warm up and this big kid from BHS can do some crazy dunks. Not many that i have seen high school kids do in a while. LIke windmills and 360 and off side of the backboard. this kid may be tall but can straight up jump. And when he gets into a game, he has no problem flying over kids to get the crowd and his teamates into the game. for you who is sayin its no impressive then you really need to see the kid play in action. Also its not rubbing it in our being cocky. From the veiw of basketball players and coachs, it just looks as a easy way to score for BHS team and they use it few time and very well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Maripac30

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:08 am

I love how these topics take on a life of their own.
All I said was that I was not impressed by 8 dunks against a weak sister like ESN and especially since one of the reasons they are a weak sister is that most of their actual talent left including the player making the 8 dunks.
No where did I condemn any player for transfering to a better situation , no where did I condemn BHS , its program or its coaches.
But yet I am reading posts defending all these things.
I stand by my original post, throw down 8 vs Leo Hayes or FHS or some other team that can defend and then I'll be impressed, against a team like ESN , nope sorry
As for the other stuff, fill your boots debate at will, but it wasn't in my original point
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:10 am

Hey like I said dunking in warm up is like kissing your sister. Dunking against ESN is no different. Lip gloss is lip gloss.
Back to top Go down
Maripac30

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:14 am

OK and I also took a shot at the kid for sticking it to his old team. Probably shouldn't have done that on a public forum. But I stand by it. Difference between beating a team and embarrassing a team. IMO 8 dunks was overkill in a game where you are pouding your opponent but We all have different opinions on where you cross the line from just playing hard to rubbing it in. I guess I am a bit of a Pollyanna.

On of my favorite quotes:
Win without arrogance, lose without alilbi
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Swish

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:24 am

Maripac30 wrote:
OK and I also took a shot at the kid for sticking it to his old team. Probably shouldn't have done that on a public forum. But I stand by it. Difference between beating a team and embarrassing a team. IMO 8 dunks was overkill in a game where you are pouding your opponent but We all have different opinions on where you cross the line from just playing hard to rubbing it in. I guess I am a bit of a Pollyanna.

On of my favorite quotes:
Win without arrogance, lose without alilbi

There are definitely a few coaches in this province that have no idea how to win properly. The unfortunate thing is that most of them are at big schools with plenty of feeder schools. It doesn't come back to bite them because it would rarely if ever happen to them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
whoknows11

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:56 am

Not impressed well i would love to see you get up and dunk. The fact that he can do it on regular basis in any game and not just on a break away. on people in traffic. even if its against a sister school like ESN. dont matter the team, you dont play down to your competition. you play as hard as you can every minute. And if i recall he had some nice dunks against river veiw and FHS and leo in the lions den tourni. the big kid from bhs has proven he can do it on all calibre teams. The fact about how some coachs dont know how to win. well thats true. if they make there team press up by 90 points and playin there starters. but if they are simply just playing weaker team and there bench players who hardly see the floor get a chance to play then they are going to work there butts off to show coachs what they can do. so if the score runs up that way its not the coachs fault
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Swish

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:00 am

whoknows11 wrote:
Not impressed well i would love to see you get up and dunk. The fact that he can do it on regular basis in any game and not just on a break away. on people in traffic. even if its against a sister school like ESN. dont matter the team, you dont play down to your competition. you play as hard as you can every minute. And if i recall he had some nice dunks against river veiw and FHS and leo in the lions den tourni. the big kid from bhs has proven he can do it on all calibre teams. The fact about how some coachs dont know how to win. well thats true. if they make there team press up by 90 points and playin there starters. but if they are simply just playing weaker team and there bench players who hardly see the floor get a chance to play then they are going to work there butts off to show coachs what they can do. so if the score runs up that way its not the coachs fault

I completely agree. What I was referring to was coaches who play their starters exclusively when they still have a big lead and continue to press when they have a big lead. I would never expect a coach to tell his players to not play hard.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballislife

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:06 pm

Well first off swish, BHS is the total opposite of leaving there starters on the floor when up by alot. BRad only playesd 15 minutes all game and only 2 mins in the second half. the starters played at the most 20 minutes all game. And they still won by 80 points. so what the big kid had 12 dunks. that just means he is a monster.

I like how everyone just wants to talk about the win over ESN. Who cares, BHS has won the lions den where they beat some of the best teams in the province and he had some huge dunks on people. then in there exhibtion win over riverveiw the big kid had a huge stat line of 42 points and 18 rebounds and hit 2 clutch free throws with one second left to win the game. he lead the team to the win with daley on the bench.

why talk down on something great like this when the province has not seen a kid this skilled and athletic in so long. so just leave it be and sit back and enjoy the kid dominating the game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Today at 1:55 am

Back to top Go down

So you can dunk in the warm up!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next