HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

So you can dunk in the warm up!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Maripac30

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:19 pm

bballislife wrote:
Well first off swish, BHS is the total opposite of leaving there starters on the floor when up by alot. BRad only playesd 15 minutes all game and only 2 mins in the second half. the starters played at the most 20 minutes all game. And they still won by 80 points. so what the big kid had 12 dunks. that just means he is a monster.

I like how everyone just wants to talk about the win over ESN. Who cares, BHS has won the lions den where they beat some of the best teams in the province and he had some huge dunks on people. then in there exhibtion win over riverveiw the big kid had a huge stat line of 42 points and 18 rebounds and hit 2 clutch free throws with one second left to win the game. he lead the team to the win with daley on the bench.

why talk down on something great like this when the province has not seen a kid this skilled and athletic in so long. so just leave it be and sit back and enjoy the kid dominating the game.

1. No where in his post does Swish mention BHS,
2. The stat line I was given was 24 points from dunks; that would be 8 not 12

Apparently Math and reading comprehension are not your strong points.

3. It is no doubt that he is a very skilled player who can dominate a game but to say that we have not seen someone at his level in this province for a long time is not only inaccurate but insulting to some very good players we have had in this province in the past few years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EastSide

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:21 pm

I think getting dunked on 8 timess or how many times in a game would be embarrassing. I would take it personally if I was playing against him and not let him have a clean lane to the bucket. That being said, if your dominating someone that bad then you can work on other aspects of your game like shooting and passing. If and when I play against weaker opponents I always try to get my teammates going and look to get them open shoots etc opposed of going off on a very weak team. I'd feel to bad against the bad team. If I was coach I would tell him to stop dunking and work on getting better looks for your teammates. I heard this States kid has quite the ego to. Can anyone clarify that?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
whoknows11

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:39 pm

1) we all know the topic was the game that BHS was in

2) 24 points from dunks is 12 dunks . each one worth 2 points. who cant count now.

3) I agree that it was insulting to say that about past players because there has been some very skilled and athletic players in the past also.

And i agree it would be very embarrising to get dunked on that many times. From what i hear the ESN team was not upset and didnt try and get in the way. so what do you expect him to do. In the NBA they will be up by 30 and still dunk it every time because they can. He does it because he can. He plays the exact same no matter what the score and if i was playing against him, i would respect that. And yes when up by alot your star players should get the other players to score and get involved. the states kid probly would of done so if he even played the second half. From what i heard he didnt even try to dunk in the second half when he played 2 minutes and he had oppurtunites to. NO ego there. I Dont know what his personality is like but he just seems like a hard working kid who wants to play. And give the fans and his teamates a little showtime.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballislife

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:42 pm

I didnt mean to insult past players. Im just saying that we should stop trashing on the kid and just be glad to see him play and have that much skill. Just leave the kid play and see how he does in crunch time. (Im expecting big things)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Maripac30

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:47 pm

whoknows11 wrote:

2) 24 points from dunks is 12 dunks . each one worth 2 points. who cant count now.
Embarassed Got me there, I guess that's what I get for being on here when I am supposed to be working and only half paying attention to what I am doing. if you only knew what I did for a living
Course the fact that he dunked 12 times and not 8 only makes it worse and emphasizes my point even more.

And I don't think I trashed anybody. I saw something done that I thought was wrong and I spoke up about it. I haven't said anything personal about him. I criticized the action . If , in our world of political correctness and hypersensitivity, you can't see the difference that is your problem.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
whoknows11

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:27 pm

Oh its fine..your too busy to count right, totally understandable:P
Well you may not think that you are trashing him but all we seem to talk about is bad things about him and saying he bailed on his old school and beat them. saying he has a big ego. etc. maybe we should just be happy for his success and talk about the good things he is doing and how well is he playing against every team in the province.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Maripac30

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:58 pm

whoknows11 wrote:
Well you may not think that you are trashing him but all we seem to talk about is bad things about him and saying he bailed on his old school and beat them. saying he has a big ego. etc. maybe we should just be happy for his success and talk about the good things he is doing and how well is he playing against every team in the province.
Does anybody read anymore???
I didn't say I was too busy to count, I said I was doing more than one thing at a time, not really paying attention and screwed up the math and since I work with numbers everyday knowing what I did would make it even more embarrassing.
No where in any of my posts have I mentioned ego (his, yours ,mine or anyone else's)
In my first post I did mention bailing on his old school but in my second I admitted that I shouldn't have and it was uncalled for.
We are just talking around in circles so I am done. No matter what anyone comes back with I will not post on this again.

Bottom line: In one man's opinion (agree or disagree I really don't care) If you are beating a team by a extremely large score, throwing down 12 or so dunks is unnecessary

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EastSide

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:08 pm

Maripac30 wrote:
whoknows11 wrote:
Does anybody read anymore???
I didn't say I was too busy to count, I said I was doing more than one thing at a time, not really paying attention and screwed up the math and since I work with numbers everyday knowing what I did would make it even more embarrassing.
No where in any of my posts have I mentioned ego (his, yours ,mine or anyone else's)
In my first post I did mention bailing on his old school but in my second I admitted that I shouldn't have and it was uncalled for.
We are just talking around in circles so I am done. No matter what anyone comes back with I will not post on this again.

Bottom line: In one man's opinion (agree or disagree I really don't care) If you are beating a team by a extremely large score, throwing down 12 or so dunks is unnecessary

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.......

+1000

I agree completely.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:13 pm

[quote="whoknows11"]1) we all know the topic was the game that BHS was in

The topic referred to game held in Fredericton not Bathurst; two local teams at that, you got to read the topic man! I said this guy dunked 6 times in warm up and had ZERO points in the game and his team lost by 96.
Back to top Go down
bballislife

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:30 pm

[quote="scorekeep"]
whoknows11 wrote:
1) we all know the topic was the game that BHS was in

The topic referred to game held in Fredericton not Bathurst; two local teams at that, you got to read the topic man! I said this guy dunked 6 times in warm up and had ZERO points in the game and his team lost by 96.

Yeah well that topic lasted a total of 4 comments. then the talk quickly changed to BHS and the states kid dunking on ESN 12 times.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dixon34

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:16 pm

i love how ,this topic is about people complaining about dunking ... if the guy wants to throw it down .. then let him.. dont complain about it . remember its still worth two points. its worth 2 if its a shot , lay up, or dunk.. common guys . find a new topic to complain about ..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Campo02

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:30 pm

dixon34 wrote:
i love how ,this topic is about people complaining about dunking ... if the guy wants to throw it down .. then let him.. dont complain about it . remember its still worth two points. its worth 2 if its a shot , lay up, or dunk.. common guys . find a new topic to complain about ..

Agreed, if you can't stop the dunk then you deserve to be dunked on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EastSide

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:13 am

you guys obviously don't understand the argument, and have no respect for the game. We are saying it's cool to dunk, but rubbing it in, dunking on teams your are blowing out is not cool. It's just embarrassing. Let's get a game going with all you guys against 6'5 player in front of all your peers, watch you get your asses kicked and then the players keep dunking on you, with no remorse. Then you will understand what the point is we are trying to get across.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:19 am

You clowns make me laugh. I said a big guy dunks in warm up 6 times and gets ZERO points in the game and his team losses by 96 (here in Fredericton). This has nothing to do with the Bathurst team (I know you guys think the sun rises and sets on the north).

If you take pride in dunking in warm up go ahead, your real talent gets exposed at tip off. game time is game time, hot dog in warm up for your 7th grade fans.
Back to top Go down
EastSide

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:48 am

Scorekeep, if you haven't noticed, the conversation and derived into a new topic. We understand it's not the original, but this is how forum work...
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:49 am

right you are eastside, right you are.
Back to top Go down
EastSide

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:55 am

Put if you want we can derive back onto the original Basketball

I think if you can dunk in warmup you should only be doing flashy dunks, but that's only if you can score in games. if not you are just hot dogging to the pre-teens.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:06 am

This seems to me to be more of a cultural deal. We don't have the athletes and builds of athletes in NB to routinely see dunking anywhere but warm up. As a result there is this idea that dunking is hot dawgin and showing off. If you go to large centres in the states in some middle schools and most high school games you will see dunks being thrown down just about every break and semi regularly in the half court. The larger the schools the more frequently this happens.

Dunking is not part of the culture of basketball around here: its unique. No one is training kids to dunk, just like no one is training kids to be shot blockers both of which are skills that are developed and groomed other places.

I get very nervous about people who say "take it away" because in my head the only way I'm envisioning stopping a kid in mid air from completing a dunk is for a less athletic kid to be endangering the high flyer with contact to his lower body once he's airborne. This is reckless, and players who do not play at that level of elevation have no idea how precarious the act itself is.

That being said, to stay on topic. Its a dunk. If you are only dunking in warmup and your team is losing, maybe you should use those 20 minutes a night 20-30 times a year as skills work to improve your team rather then time to show your fans what you can do. If in the regular flow of the game a kid can make an athletic play, let em.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dixon34

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:52 am

to me its not a big deal , if there gunna dunk let them dunk. ive have it happen to me before , when i was in high school kamba from ESN dunked on me twice . but i still played the game. just becasue someone on the other team can dunk doesnt mean that you give up. if they wanna run the score up let them. as long as you keep playing the game of basketball thats all that matters.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
obcnamtaf

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:20 pm

well , if folks had seen the (1st quarter) one hand catch and throw down ally-oop dunk the BHS kid threw down vs LHHS last night , I think even those of you trying to bring this kid down ( a NB thing I think ) would have been impressed....jaws dropped on the fans from both sides...even the gr 7's....not something we see a lot of in NB high school ball , or ACAA or CIS for that matter..... and by the way the kid dropped 36 pts in a 30 point win over the Lions....so was he showing off again ? Damn !.......
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:26 pm

obcnamtaf wrote:
well , if folks had seen the (1st quarter) one hand catch and throw down ally-oop dunk the BHS kid threw down vs LHHS last night , I think even those of you trying to bring this kid down ( a NB thing I think ) would have been impressed....jaws dropped on the fans from both sides...even the gr 7's....not something we see a lot of in NB high school ball , or ACAA or CIS for that matter..... and by the way the kid dropped 36 pts in a 30 point win over the Lions....so was he showing off again ? Damn !.......

Like I said fat man the sun rises ans sets on you guys. Thanks for bringing it all back into perspective. This entire post is all about Brad States.
Back to top Go down
obcnamtaf

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:37 pm

ooooooh ....don't be hatin.. Smile

MERRY CHRISTMAS Scorekeep....
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:46 pm

you guys are the best.

Have a safe and relaxing break my friend.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So you can dunk in the warm up!   Today at 3:17 am

Back to top Go down

So you can dunk in the warm up!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2