HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Recruiting etiquette

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
justadad

PostSubject: Recruiting etiquette   Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:23 pm

I just found out about this forum and I see theres some very knowledgeable people who post on here.
I'm hoping I can draw on those knowledgeable people for their experience
As a parent with a high calibre player, how do we best deal with the college scouts/recruiters that are sniffing around? Now I'm not talking about NCAA but local ACAC and CIS interests.
What should we expect? At what point in the season do they come with official offers and if they do, when should the player commit? Are there rules about them contacting the player?
Comments appreciated, thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballfan

PostSubject: Re: Recruiting etiquette   Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:32 pm

As a parent that has gone through this process as well, I can sympathize.

It would be helpful if you could tell me if your child is male or female and what grade they are in?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
justadad

PostSubject: Re: Recruiting etiquette   Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:10 pm

Sure - female, grade 12 - Thanks
I don't want to provide any identifying details as I'm unsure of who reads these forums and how this questioning could be perceived ...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
justadad

PostSubject: Re: Recruiting etiquette   Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:44 pm

As a follow up, I received a PM from an accomplished coach who posts here. Great insight and guidance.
It helped our daughter determine her priorities. We'll see how the recruiting process unfolds and if it matches up with those priorities
Back to top Go down
View user profile
j_rank1

PostSubject: Re: Recruiting etiquette   Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:16 am

The most important thing an athlete and parent can do if research the program and the coach. Seek out former players, look into the coaches record of athletes who have graduated. If you notice that there is a lot of turnover of players and a low graduation rate then if you want a good education (the main priority) then maybe that isn't the place for your child.

Most importantly force the coach to tell you the "truth" about the academic program (most coaches are not strong in this area) your child is going to enter and the expectation of first year players in their basketball program. Its rare for a first year athlete to come in and dominate or start and any coach who is telling you that is giving you a line. Also remember that coaches will recruit all the time so the commitments they make in the spring might not be the commitments they are willing to commit to in the fall (ex. Men's basketball at NAIT!).

Also make sure you know how many courses and what grades are expected for your athlete to keep playing. Also ensure your aware of what conditions are wrapped around the scholarship money that is offered.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recruiting etiquette   Today at 3:05 pm

Back to top Go down

Recruiting etiquette
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1