HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Official Rankings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
coach fabio

PostSubject: Re: Official Rankings   Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:13 pm

yeah Vc's tournament should be great, SMUS vs Kits 1st round, with VC on the opposite side.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BBaller

PostSubject: Re: Official Rankings   Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:55 am

Ballerboy20 wrote:
Bballer, you are incorrect on the wins and loses, Smus is still yet to be beaten, we should actually not make any rankings until after this van college tournament in early January. All the big teams will be there so it should be a fun thing to watch.

I was aware of that, but I have yet to see SMUS play and other than defeating VC I don't know who else they'e beaten.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach fabio

PostSubject: Re: Official Rankings   Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:10 am

it is hard to find out the scores on the island.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ballerboy20

PostSubject: Re: Official Rankings   Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:42 am

Smus has only played teams from the island all of them exhibition all of them won by 25-30points...they are slow starters but once the second half comes they are very hard to beat....they will have some problems with kits' size and strength but they are very quick and are tough on defense, but they lost a key starter who is there 2 guard, he was there leading scorer and lead the team and steals....so try are a weaker team right now but they might be able to pull off a win
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BurnabyBaller

PostSubject: Re: Official Rankings   Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:36 am

1.SMUS
2.Vancouver College
3.Kits
4.WRCA
5.Pitt
6.Churchill
7.Mouat
8.Tweedsmuir
9.Burnaby South
10.Walnut Grove
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach fabio

PostSubject: Re: Official Rankings   Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:45 pm

looks pretty good to me but I just geard VC lost to Mouat and Churhill so maybe they should be 5th or 6th.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rajiv

PostSubject: Re: Official Rankings   Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:07 pm

if a team loses a game it makes sense to rank the other team higher, especially if it happens over and over again
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach fabio

PostSubject: Re: Official Rankings   Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:08 pm

like whom are u speaking of, rajiv?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
valleyball

PostSubject: Re: Official Rankings   Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:18 pm

Biggest problems wiith the rankings so far

1) Too much influence or merit is being placed on the "traditional basketball powers" without analyzing each team's development or progress. For instance Vancouver College is struggling with consistency, though they are very talented. They should be much better than their present form

2) We all agree the present grade 9 class is very talented, but there are very high expectations being put on every underage player to succeed or turn their team into a provincial champion. Junior Ball is faster and much more physical than grade 8 ball, and some of the talented grade 9's are having problems adjusting or finding consistency.

3) Some teams have used the early part of the year to develop their squad rather than relying on their starting five. Afterall it is junior ball, and development of your squad is important at Provincial time. Even at the Drive Tournament, some teams rested their starters during their "exhibition games" which is probably a good idea.

Here is another suggestion

1) SMU (need to win Emerald to keep top ranking)
2) Churchill (just won high profile Drive Classic) Deserve this ranking if recent results mean anything
3) Pitt (won Kamploops tourney)
4) WRCA (talented, but have not played the top teams yet)
5) Yale (won their tournament)
6) Kits (lost to VC, but is coming around without Luka)
7) Lord Tweedsmuir (finalist in drive tourney, lost final at yale tourney final but played two tournaments that weekend (southridge and yale)
Cool Walnut Grove (needs to beat top teams)
9) Mouat (lost kamloops final and lost in semi finals at Drive, though potential for more)
10) Vancouver College (tough weekend, lost to churchill and mouat) Need to find their proper rotation

However, there is alot of parity this year, which is good for high school basketball and frankly any of these ten teams could beat each other on any given night. Who are all the teams in the Emerald and what is the schedule? Is WRCA in?

Above all, it is going to be exciting to see who advances out of the Fraser Valley's. I think only 3 spots for the Valley

Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach fabio

PostSubject: Re: Official Rankings   Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:33 pm

valleyball, Pitt and Churhill are too high. Kits beat Pitt by 15! And Kits beat churchill by 3, kits should be ahead of both of those teams.

1. SMUS
2. Kits
3. Churchill
4. Wrca
5. Pitt
thats how the top 5 should look
Back to top Go down
View user profile
valleyball

PostSubject: Re: Official Rankings   Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:36 pm

sorry can you make those changes. Your right

Happy new year to everyone on the board, and it is great to see there is more positive discussion than trash talk
Back to top Go down
View user profile
justdoit

PostSubject: Re: Official Rankings   Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:24 pm

coach fabio wrote:
valleyball, Pitt and Churhill are too high. Kits beat Pitt by 15! And Kits beat churchill by 3, kits should be ahead of both of those teams.

1. SMUS
2. Kits
3. Churchill
4. Wrca
5. Pitt
thats how the top 5 should look
Kits beat Churchill very early in the season, before teams were very prepared.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HeartBBall

PostSubject: Re: Official Rankings   Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:35 pm

I agree with the nomination of the teams, but I would rather name them the best ten teams than make the actual ranking.

Many teams have not played each other. Although some did, their games may not represent the complete strength of the team, as it may vary due to injuries, loss of players, lack of warm-ups.....

my opionion on the best ten teams:(in alphabetic order)
Churchill
Kitslano
Lord Tweedsmuir
Mouat
Pitt Meadow
SMU
Vancouver College
Walnut Grove
WRCA
Yale
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JLivingston

PostSubject: Re: Official Rankings   Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:45 pm

valleyball wrote:
sorry can you make those changes. Your right

Happy new year to everyone on the board, and it is great to see there is more positive discussion than trash talk

A good summary of all teams, Valleyball. fyi, WRCA should be ranked ahead merely because they have got Tyus allen playing down to run the point. Whether it is legal or not is another discussion point.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
elite

PostSubject: Re: Official Rankings   Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:27 pm

Who has pitt beaten to earn a top 5 rank? Im not saying they are bad i would just like to know
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mr. Basketball

PostSubject: Re: Official Rankings   Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:59 am

Why would there be a problem with Tyus playing down? Unless he played several games with the seniors this year he is allowed to play junior.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach fabio

PostSubject: Re: Official Rankings   Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:33 pm

Elite, I know Pitt has beat Wj mouat and palmer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
elite

PostSubject: Re: Official Rankings   Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:19 pm

coach fabio wrote:
Elite, I know Pitt has beat Wj mouat and palmer.

no offence to pitt but beating palmer isnt saying much and neither is mouat. I dont think they deserve a top ten ranking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mikeyb

PostSubject: Re: Official Rankings   Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:47 pm

See here is something we all need to do: take a step back and think a little bit. Junior ball is 100X harder to rank than senior.

There are more junior teams than team that play AAA in senior, which means more upsets, more moving of rankings and more debate.

Having coached baseball for over 15 years, this age group (14-16 years old) is so difficult. I can only remember maybe 3 times in 15 years where the #1 team going into baseball provincials, actually wins the whole thing. What Van College did last year was very impressive, being #1 and winning it all.

I also remember, I believe it was in 05, St. George's won the junior basketball provincials They went into the tournament ranked in the bottom half and pulled it out. That same squad did not even make provincials 2 years later in senior.

At the end of the day, what do the rankings mean ? Literally nothing when it comes to final results. They are fun to read and discuss but at the end of the day, it is a super tough job!!

Oh and if your a team from the Fraser Valley, try making it to provincials first!! How many births do they get ? 3 ? So many upsets take place in the Valley Championship!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SteveNash13

PostSubject: Re: Official Rankings   Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:58 pm

How's North Shore ball looking this year?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JLivingston

PostSubject: Re: Official Rankings   Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:31 pm

I think in few days( may be today), Howie's ranking going to come out. I would like to see whether the following changes are considered.

1. SMUS should not be at first ( between 7 to 9)
2) So is Walnut (not even HM). my source tells me that they had a tough time beating Johnston heights.( can you beleive it?)
3)VC should be at the top.
4)Pitt should also be pushed down few spots.
5) Bby south have to find a spot in top 10.
6)Tweed should be 9 or 10.
7) Wrca- not sure whether they deserve to be at top 10.
'8') McMath has to be HM

Just my thoughts and cant wait to compare my readings with Howie's when it is out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach fabio

PostSubject: Re: Official Rankings   Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:44 pm

what about Kits and Churchill?

baller41, there is a big northshore bball tourny next weekend with some pretty good teams.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JLivingston

PostSubject: Re: Official Rankings   Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:54 pm

coach fabio wrote:
what about Kits and Churchill?

baller41, there is a big northshore bball tourny next weekend with some pretty good teams.

Kits and churchil were already in the top ten in howie's ranking and they stay put and no need for drastic changes. I just mentioned the teams that drastically hurt or improved their ranking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach fabio

PostSubject: Re: Official Rankings   Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:52 pm

what about this?

1. Vancouver College
2. Burnaby South
3. Kits
4. Smus
5. Wj Moaut
6. Pitt Meadows
7. Chirchill
8. Kelowna ss
9. Lord Tweedsmuir
10. Mcmath
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JLivingston

PostSubject: Re: Official Rankings   Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:59 pm

coach fabio wrote:
what about this?

1. Vancouver College
2. Burnaby South
3. Kits
4. Smus
5. Wj Moaut
6. Pitt Meadows
7. Chirchill
8. Kelowna ss
9. Lord Tweedsmuir
10. Mcmath

cant agree with you Bby south and smus. Yes, they are top 10 material and not top 5 and may be only between 6 to 9. No team is as wildly inconsistent as bby south and that is the reason i cant give them high ranking although they beat kits and smus. cant disagree with you throwing out wrca and walnut. Pitt should be lower than churchil. Kits and VC are at the right spots.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Official Rankings   Today at 9:08 am

Back to top Go down

Official Rankings
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next