HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Long Term Athlete Development

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Coachmac

PostSubject: Re: Long Term Athlete Development   Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:30 pm

student wrote:
hoping you are involved with bnb coachmac and will let them know that there are some things that could change

I'm not involved with BNB. Send your suggestions to them in an email.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.homesmoncton.com
EastSide

PostSubject: Re: Long Term Athlete Development   Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:37 pm

I'll give my two cents..

I believe the NBIAA and BNB need to work together for basketball. They are two separate entities, which would be frustrating in communities. Correct me if I am wrong, but to register for BNB, you must have all your info during the NBIAA season. BNB also doesn't want affiliation with the school, which I think just absorb.

Also, I am assuming some people may not know this, but the Governments cut basketball Canada's budget 500,000$ from last year. Right now the budget has been cut to 700,000 $. They have had to cut developing programs such as NEDA, and believe me more cuts are coming all around basketball in Canada. I do like the ideas of bringing in coaches, but right now, it comes down to volunteers, and coaches advancing their knowledge and starting kids in communities at young ages.

I also agree with a public forum approach, of course moderated, or in person. Whichever works, I mean discussion is discussion, people who are honestly concerned will make their voice heard publicly and privately, it will not effect them.

Their is a reason that they set 2020 to be a powerhouse, which I am hoping they will attain. For now it has to be a collective effort for people to step up within their communities, gain knowledge and share it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coachmac

PostSubject: Re: Long Term Athlete Development   Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:45 pm

EastSide wrote:
I'll give my two cents..

I believe the NBIAA and BNB need to work together for basketball. They are two separate entities, which would be frustrating in communities. Correct me if I am wrong, but to register for BNB, you must have all your info during the NBIAA season. BNB also doesn't want affiliation with the school, which I think just absorb.

Also, I am assuming some people may not know this, but the Governments cut basketball Canada's budget 500,000$ from last year. Right now the budget has been cut to 700,000 $. They have had to cut developing programs such as NEDA, and believe me more cuts are coming all around basketball in Canada. I do like the ideas of bringing in coaches, but right now, it comes down to volunteers, and coaches advancing their knowledge and starting kids in communities at young ages.

I also agree with a public forum approach, of course moderated, or in person. Whichever works, I mean discussion is discussion, people who are honestly concerned will make their voice heard publicly and privately, it will not effect them.

Their is a reason that they set 2020 to be a powerhouse, which I am hoping they will attain. For now it has to be a collective effort for people to step up within their communities, gain knowledge and share it.

I think BNB has less problem being affiliated with NBIAA then the other way around. I'm not certain of this, but I would assume it's for insurance reasons.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.homesmoncton.com
driver59

PostSubject: Re: Long Term Athlete Development   Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:54 am

very good points . it seems to me and im sure others that if the resorces for basketball in canada are getting smaller then we need to rid our programs of duplication and having NBIAA and BNB working closer together would do that , same data base , players coaches officals , sponsership , volunteers, it just seems to make more sense to have them both working together .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Long Term Athlete Development   Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:04 pm

While I think it would be nice if BNB and NBIAA could work together on certain issues more easily (and same could said for any of the sports bodies in the province I'm sure), I don't think you can have them as one entity.

BNB's priority is the development of basketball in the province. The NBIAA's priority is not basketball or even sport development it is management of interscholastic sports in the province under the direction of schools and administrators.

The priorities and underlying purposes of these two groups mean that while they could work together in certain areas they need to exist as seperate entities.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
driver59

PostSubject: Re: Long Term Athlete Development   Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:21 pm

does BNB still put on basketball camps at the request of comunities and organizations , i know they have in the past, if they do then i think its up to us who are involved in the sport to see to it that there isnt an open week anywhere , in the summer i mean and try to clump a few camps together in surrounding comunities so that everyone that wants to atend can and if there is a few kids that want to travel to anothe comunity to attend all the better , it would help develope players and give new players a leg up in there first year . any thoughts on this ? of course a good volunteer base is needed to pull that off.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
driver59

PostSubject: Re: Long Term Athlete Development   Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:23 pm

it would be nice to hear from all areas of the province on this please.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
student

PostSubject: Re: Long Term Athlete Development   Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:44 pm

start a summer league. even if it's outdoor courts. especially if it's outdoor courts. gain some competition and fun cheap
Back to top Go down
View user profile
driver59

PostSubject: Re: Long Term Athlete Development   Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:09 pm

thats a good idea , then see where it goes from there
Back to top Go down
View user profile
student

PostSubject: Re: Long Term Athlete Development   Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:01 pm

should be doable. if teams just start early enough might even get into summerfest. plus there are some good outdoor courts around the prov. nothing like ashfalt to toughen up a player. who knows might get some players a look with new skills
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Long Term Athlete Development   Today at 1:16 pm

Back to top Go down

Long Term Athlete Development
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2