HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Rankings So Far For AAA and AA - Change as season progresses

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Rankings So Far For AAA and AA - Change as season progresses   Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:15 pm

doesn't Nepean's 20 point victory over St. Pats only two days ago at least get them in the top ten and perhaps even ahead of St. Pats?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
613Ball

PostSubject: Re: Rankings So Far For AAA and AA - Change as season progresses   Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 pm

coachc wrote:
doesn't Nepean's 20 point victory over St. Pats only two days ago at least get them in the top ten and perhaps even ahead of St. Pats?

Yeah maybe. They lost to Hillcrest and St. Matthew and those two teams are in the 6-10 range so you can't knock those two out. Maybe they can fight for 10th with Bell/Pius. Good point I forgot about that win. But they can't be ahead of St. Pats. If they are ahead of St. Pats, does that mean they should be ahead of Hillcrest and St. Matts? Maybe we will see how they play against SRB because right now, I don't think they deserve to be above 9.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Rankings So Far For AAA and AA - Change as season progresses   Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:07 pm

1. SRB (6-0)
2. Sacred Heart (4-2 but solid tournament record)
3. Ashbury (6-0)
4. St. Pats (6-1 but loss to Nepean and barely beat Hill in OT)
5. Colonel By (4-2 but both losses came early in the season and were close...playing well right now)
6. Bell (3-3 but beat #2 SH and are much improved from start of season)
7. St. Matts (5-2 but lost to CB and St. Pats so can't move them up yet)
8. LBP (4-0 Likely better than 8th but loss to St. Matts this past weekend hurts)
9. St. Joes (4-2 new most underrated team now that CB is getting respect. Played SH close this week.)
10. Nepean (4-3 but big win over undefeated St. Pats reminds us all what this team is capable of.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bellbasketball

PostSubject: Re: Rankings So Far For AAA and AA - Change as season progresses   Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:35 pm

Fortunately sham will be back to assit bel in the playoff run and i am still optimistic that bell can still make a solid run with all winable games remaining and bell is still solid. Colonel by is definitley picking up momentum at the right time with mehdi leading them, and Nepean losing by 20 to sir wil was a definate shocker, did Justin play that game?Deslaurier is finally being tested by playing notre dame losing to them by 1 and playing mac tommorow will state a lot but i still believe ashbury is the clear favourite for single A. johnny on lbp hit two free throws in the dying seconds to beat ashbury by 1 (2nd time beating them including tournament) ashbury is no longer undefeated in league play. Before the exam break i believe things wll be much more clear as they are definitley begining to clear up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
613Ball

PostSubject: Re: Rankings So Far For AAA and AA - Change as season progresses   Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:08 am

coachc wrote:
1. SRB (6-0)
3. Ashbury (6-0)
5. Colonel By (4-2 but both losses came early in the season and were close...playing well right now)
8. LBP (4-0 Likely better than 8th but loss to St. Matts this past weekend hurts)
9. St. Joes (4-2 new most underrated team now that CB is getting respect. Played SH close this week.)
10. Nepean (4-3 but big win over undefeated St. Pats reminds us all what this team is capable of.)

Bell as 6th?? They don't deserve that at this moment. Remember, they beat Sacred Heart w/out Sean Stoqua and just lost to All Saints. They also lost to St. Joes in the beginning of the year. Also, if you are going to put Nepean up there, you have to put Hillcrest somewhere in there. They beat Nepean, lost to St. Matts by 3 and took St. Pats to Overtime. If they don't deserve to be in that top 10 then Bell shouldn't be there either
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shotmaker

PostSubject: Re: Rankings So Far For AAA and AA - Change as season progresses   Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:40 pm

613Ball wrote:
coachc wrote:
1. SRB (6-0)
3. Ashbury (6-0)

Bell as 6th?? They don't deserve that at this moment. Remember, they beat Sacred Heart w/out Sean Stoqua and just lost to All Saints. They also lost to St. Joes in the beginning of the year. Also, if you are going to put Nepean up there, you have to put Hillcrest somewhere in there. They beat Nepean, lost to St. Matts by 3 and took St. Pats to Overtime. If they don't deserve to be in that top 10 then Bell shouldn't be there either

Bell lost to All Saints with 6 guys dressed, 4 of whom are permanent spots on the team. They currently have two injuries and two suspensions, all players who average heavy minutes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
homecourt

PostSubject: Re: Rankings So Far For AAA and AA - Change as season progresses   Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:45 pm

Heard SH wasn't very successful in Mother T tournament but were up against some serious competition

Pickering 61 SH 43
London Beal 65 SH 51
SH 54 West Hill 49

I know it's still early but does Ottawa ball have a chance at AAAA?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Rankings So Far For AAA and AA - Change as season progresses   Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:33 am

In the past few years it has been incredibly difficult for teams from Ottawa to compete with the elite AAAA teams. This year, there has been a significant defection of the top players from the top teams to the USA. Perhaps the gap has closed a bit, but it does seem that one of the top Ottawa teams had difficulty competing with some of the teams that will likely contend at AAAA ofsaa. My understanding is that Sacred Heart is the only AAAA team that will contend for an ofsaa spot in Ottawa. If they do not make the city finals, we will be sending a AAA representative to the AAAA championship.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
homecourt

PostSubject: Re: Rankings So Far For AAA and AA - Change as season progresses   Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:15 am

Coach C/Anyone, what have you heard about Ottawa sending 2 AAA reps? One winner and Ottawa getting an additional spot because St. Matts (Ottawa team) winning AAA OFSAA last year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Rankings So Far For AAA and AA - Change as season progresses   Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:21 am

I don't know that it is automatic for Ottawa to get an extra birth. I know that the host association gets an additional one (upt to two spots total) and then, I believe that if there is an additional birth to be awarded, it will go back to the association that won the previous year. I do not believe that there is an additionaly birth this year as Kingston (host) normally only has one birth so them taking an additional one will likely mean that there is not one to be awarded to our association
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Rankings So Far For AAA and AA - Change as season progresses   Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:13 am

Some more solid games this week that could have implications for rankings as some teams are now crossing over to play teams from the other division. Tonight: SRB vs St. Matts, St. Pius vs Colonel By and tomorrow has Sacred Heart vs St. Patrick
Back to top Go down
View user profile
613Ball

PostSubject: Re: Rankings So Far For AAA and AA - Change as season progresses   Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:28 pm

coachc wrote:
1. SRB (6-0)
3. Ashbury (6-0)

Yup, like I said, I think it is time to take Nepean off this list. They were just wayy too overhyped in the pre-season. Losing to EOM? They might even end up 5-5 since they have SRB left so this team is not as good as everyone thought. Bell tho deserves to stay where they are as they had back-to-back wins while still missing 3 of their main players. Everything else should stay the same except for Nepean. Probably put Hillcrest in there instead.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Rankings So Far For AAA and AA - Change as season progresses   Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:04 pm

I will agree with the Nepean / Hillcrest switch. Something else to consider is that LBP beat Ashbury by one last week so LBP likely moves to top 5 and Ashbury somewhere 6-10.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hmm

PostSubject: Re: Rankings So Far For AAA and AA - Change as season progresses   Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:41 pm

coachc wrote:
I will agree with the Nepean / Hillcrest switch. Something else to consider is that LBP beat Ashbury by one last week so LBP likely moves to top 5 and Ashbury somewhere 6-10.

Apparently EOM double-teamed Justin and that was enough to win the game.

Over the season it becomes clear that Nepean depends so heavily on Justin that any team successfully guarding him will win with them.

Still Nepean should finish with min. 5 wins while Hill is facing after exam brake 3 best teams in the city, so proly Hill finishes with 4 wins.

Therefore I would not be so fast with Nepean/Hill switch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CBBasketball

PostSubject: Exam Break   Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:10 pm

So now that we've reached the exam break for all the teams, where do we stand? SRB has solidified themselves as the undisputed #1 but to me it seems as though 2-10 could almost be interchangeable. LBP is undefeated in league play, Sacred Heart has a good tournament record but has suffered a couple of tough losses in season play (and some tough wins too). Colonel By has heated up when we needed to and teams like Bell, St. Matt's, St. Pat's and St. Joe's are all in the mix. It seems to me that there is a level of parity in the city this year that hasn't been seen in the recent past. Now with a week to think about it, where do people shake out? Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballhard

PostSubject: Re: Rankings So Far For AAA and AA - Change as season progresses   Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:31 pm

CBBasketball wrote:
So now that we've reached the exam break for all the teams, where do we stand? SRB has solidified themselves as the undisputed #1 but to me it seems as though 2-10 could almost be interchangeable. LBP is undefeated in league play, Sacred Heart has a good tournament record but has suffered a couple of tough losses in season play (and some tough wins too). Colonel By has heated up when we needed to and teams like Bell, St. Matt's, St. Pat's and St. Joe's are all in the mix. It seems to me that there is a level of parity in the city this year that hasn't been seen in the recent past. Now with a week to think about it, where do people shake out? Thoughts?

I agree that 2-10 can be interchangeable and the teams this year are very evenly matched. There aren't the usual 1 or 2 teams who solidify a spot in the finals early. I think we may see some intense quarterfinal matchups that can go either way. My rankings as of right now would be

1)Srb
2)Sacred Heart
3)St Pats
4/5) Colonel Bye and St Joseph - Haven't played each other and seem well matched so should be a good game
6) LBP
7) Ashbury
8)St Matts
9) Bell
10) Nepan? Hillcrest? Pius?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
613Ball

PostSubject: Re: Rankings So Far For AAA and AA - Change as season progresses   Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:06 pm

ballhard wrote:
CBBasketball wrote:

I agree that 2-10 can be interchangeable and the teams this year are very evenly matched. There aren't the usual 1 or 2 teams who solidify a spot in the finals early. I think we may see some intense quarterfinal matchups that can go either way. My rankings as of right now would be

1)Srb
2)Sacred Heart
3)St Pats
4/5) Colonel Bye and St Joseph - Haven't played each other and seem well matched so should be a good game
6) LBP
7) Ashbury
8)St Matts
9) Bell
10) Nepan? Hillcrest? Pius?

Its true that the teams have been very evenly matched this year except for SRB, but I think the quality of the teams are significantly lower than the previous years. We don't see teams with a solid 5-8 guys in rotation this year. The only team with that is probably SRB and they only have max 6. We now see teams rely on 2-3 players and the rest are all mediocre. Previous years had teams that go 5-8 players deep and all of them were quality players.

Back to the main topic,
I beleive Bell should be higher than 9th. They have been doing really well and they still haven't had a game with all of their main players playing. Once they get Mohamed, Shamarke, and Denis back, they will be a team that contend for the OFSAA spots. Also, Nepean and St. Pius shouldn't be in the Top 10 right now. I think Hillcrest deserves that spot for the meantime. We will see how they do in their last three games.
My rankings are:

1. SRB
2. SH
3. LBP
4. Colonel By
5. St. Patricks
6. Ashbury
7. Bell
8. St. Josephs
9. St. Matts
10. Hillcrest
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Real_Balla

PostSubject: Re: Rankings So Far For AAA and AA - Change as season progresses   Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:16 pm

I would believe bell should get more credit as there 2 pg's serving suspension but yet josh and #15(mustafa) are keeping them alive in the west
Back to top Go down
View user profile
613Ball

PostSubject: Re: Rankings So Far For AAA and AA - Change as season progresses   Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:44 am

Real_Balla wrote:
I would believe bell should get more credit as there 2 pg's serving suspension but yet josh and #15(mustafa) are keeping them alive in the west

Who would you knock off from the top to replace Bell with? All the teams above them seem to be doing much better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
K10S

PostSubject: Re: Rankings So Far For AAA and AA - Change as season progresses   Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:29 pm

what happened at the hill crest, sacred heart game? it says on fat dog that sacred lost to to hill crest by 6, were they missing sean or vik? does this change the standings?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
homecourt

PostSubject: Re: Rankings So Far For AAA and AA - Change as season progresses   Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:07 pm

That loss will definitely impact rankings and bump SH down a few spots for sure. They may even be overrated or is the East a better division? I saw SH play on Rogers and they looked average. Some big regular season games tomorrow which could have implications on play-off positioning. The upcoming Ridgemont tournament should be interesting as most of the top teams are participating.

SRB
Colonel By
LBP
St. Pats
SH
St. Matts
Hillcrest
St. Joes
Bell
Nepean
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Rankings So Far For AAA and AA - Change as season progresses   Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:23 pm

I dont know if I would move SH down too far if at all. To the best of my knowledge, they did beat St. Pats every time they played them this year and you have them below them. Also, I believe that they also won two tournaments. I am not saying that Hillcrest's win was not big, but I can't see who should be above them. You have CB 2nd but CB lost to St. Pats as well?. I think that 613ball's list is more accurate right now. Still, as you mention, there are some big games this week including the National Capital Classic which could effect these rankings. As for the comment about the east possibly being the stronger division, that could be, but it seems pretty balanced to me. Most teams are playing three cross over games to finish the season so we will see how the two divisions fare against each other. So far in the league cross over games the west has won 6 of them and lost 4.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
613Ball

PostSubject: Re: Rankings So Far For AAA and AA - Change as season progresses   Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:25 pm

coachc wrote:
I dont know if I would move SH down too far if at all. To the best of my knowledge, they did beat St. Pats every time they played them this year and you have them below them. Also, I believe that they also won two tournaments. I am not saying that Hillcrest's win was not big, but I can't see who should be above them. You have CB 2nd but CB lost to St. Pats as well?. I think that 613ball's list is more accurate right now. Still, as you mention, there are some big games this week including the National Capital Classic which could effect these rankings. As for the comment about the east possibly being the stronger division, that could be, but it seems pretty balanced to me. Most teams are playing three cross over games to finish the season so we will see how the two divisions fare against each other. So far in the league cross over games the west has won 6 of them and lost 4.

I agree, SH losing doesn't show that they should be put all the way down to 4. It just shows that they actually do have some weaknesses and are beatable. As for the moment, I would leave the list the same but if CB can manage to win their last two games, I would put them as 2nd overall. Their loss to St. Patts was by only 3 points so that game should not decide which team is better, it could go either way. But this SH does shake things up in the standings as they can sleep down to 4th now. If Bell and St. Joseph win out the rest of the season, SH will see themselves as the 4th seed, which can make an intense quarter final matchup against St. Pats/Colonel By, But for now, everything looks like it is the same. National Capial Classic and the rest of the season should probably shake some things up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MehdiTihani

PostSubject: Re: Rankings So Far For AAA and AA - Change as season progresses   Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:30 pm

When does Sham come back?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
613Ball

PostSubject: Re: Rankings So Far For AAA and AA - Change as season progresses   Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:53 pm

MehdiTihani wrote:
When does Sham come back?

Word is that Shamarke is supposed to be back for the last regular season game, if not then playoffs for sure. Colonel By's win today makes me beleive that they do deserve a spot above SH. SH lost to Hillcrest yesterday, and today CB managed to defeat them for their 7th straight win. I would change my list to:

SRB
CB
SH
LBP
St. Patricks
Ashbury
Bell
St. Josephs
Hillcrest
St. Matthews

CB does have a tough game against Bell next. If they can manage to win that one, they will have very good momentum going into the playoffs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rankings So Far For AAA and AA - Change as season progresses   Today at 4:58 pm

Back to top Go down

Rankings So Far For AAA and AA - Change as season progresses
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next