HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Top 3A schools

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bball150

PostSubject: Top 3A schools   Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:04 am

Anyone have any ideas?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basketballfan101

PostSubject: Re: Top 3A schools   Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:36 am

Cochrane, wetaskiwin, camrose, holy trinity from Edmonton. Those are my top 4
Back to top Go down
View user profile
earlmanigalt

PostSubject: Re: Top 3A schools   Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:47 am

I would say the best ones are Cochrane, Wetaskiwin, Canmore, Chestermere. I saw Camrose play last year and they aren't that good. Their best player was a grade 10 kid who would be 6th or 7th best player from the other teams I have mentioned. Cochrane has a lot of grade 12s, won the LCI tournament (it was a weak tournament) but played brutal at the REB. Wetaskiwin has most of their nucleus in tact and have looked good early this year. Canmore's JVs were a good team last year and most of those players are seniors this year. Chestermere has an amazing young group with a lot of potential. They are the team no one will want to play at playoff time.

I would also throw Holy Trinity in there but as a distant 5th.

Last edited by earlmanigalt on Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopsnut

PostSubject: Re: Top 3A schools   Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:50 pm

I haven't seen too many of the teams south of Red Deer. I saw the JP Reb tournament and the Ross Sheppard tournament and I would say that Cochrane would have to be in the top 5. Cochrane ran up agaianst a tough team from the USA and should have won the game against Scona. They looked good nonetheless. They have a dynamite little guard #8 and a great power big guy (#15). They were a big team, and I think most of them are garde 12s. And apparently they won the LCI tournament, which is usually a very tough tournament.

Wetaskiwin is tough. I have seen them play this year and they are very strong. The only knock on them is that they are playing very weak teams but they cann't control the strength of their league. They have a great 3 point shooter and a great point guard. They will be tough because most of them are 12s this year I think.

Chestermere is a little team but they have a great guard. He is a 6'5 east indian kid who can do it all. They also have a couple of great big kids who were a force. They shouild have beaten Ross Sheppard but couldn't hit free throws. Then they beat Foothills from Okotoks. Their only issue is that the tournament program said they were all grade 11s.

Holy Trinity from Edmonton should be in the top 5 also because they were great last year and I think most of their team is back this year and are mainly 12s. They also get pretty good competition in Edmonton all year. Anyone know if they are playing Premeir or City division this year?

I watched the provincials last year and Canmore looked like a great squad. They have enough guys who can score and again I think most of them are 12s. I haven't seen them this year though.

I agree with the last person about Camrose. I think they play weak teams and they were not that good when I saw them last year. But in 3A, they should get ranked in the top 10 for sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Top 3A schools   Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:11 pm

Chestermere is almost all grade 11s. Jasdeep Gill is the 6'4/5" kid that is their main guy. A well coached team. They'll be extremely good next year. They aren't at the same level as Cochrane judging from the RVSA league scores. Cochrane is about half grade 12s and half grade 11s and split between bigs and guards. They have 2 grade 10 kids on their JV team that are have something like 50 pt quadruple double games already this year. I don't know why they don't have them on their senior team but I guess every program is run differently. Seems strange though. Camrose has the connor foremen kid who will be a huge difference maker this year and next. They have to be considered in the top 3. Canmore will be a step back from Camrose and Cochrane.

Wetaskiwin will be a team to watch and I don't think their central league is all that weak relative to what other teams are playing in. We need some more cross games to compare.
Back to top Go down
albertahighhoops

PostSubject: Re: Top 3A schools   Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:17 am

central is the strongest 3a zone,
wetaskiwin who placed 2nd last year in provs are very strong this year again
camrose blessed with size and shooters
lacombe is looking pretty sharp
ponaka is playing better as of late
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopsnut

PostSubject: Re: Top 3A schools   Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:51 pm

q

Last edited by hoopsnut on Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
albertahighhoops

PostSubject: Re: Top 3A schools   Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:45 am

central with 3 in the top 6
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopsnut

PostSubject: Re: Top 3A schools   Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:43 am

We are splitting hairs. I could have said SC has 3 of the top 7 with 4 of the remaining 8 also (#9 and 3 HMs). Plus who cares. It's 3A!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopsnut

PostSubject: Re: Top 3A schools   Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:51 pm

With the poor showing at the Louis St. Laurent tournament, the central zone teams should all move down the rankings and the south central teams should move up. Also, Crescent Heights from Med Hat should move up. Holy Trinity from Edmonton secures the #1 spot with Cochrane as #2. After that, I can see the remaining SCZ teams in the top 6 and the Central zone teams 7-10.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Top 3A schools   Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:47 pm

Crescent Heights from Medicine Hat doesn't have the depth to really compete with the top teams in 3A. They took all of their senior varsity grade 11 players into a local JV tournament in their league on the weekend and got beat up badly. If they're relying in those players to come off their varsity bench they are razor thin.
Back to top Go down
albertahighhoops

PostSubject: Re: Top 3A schools   Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:37 pm

the rise of central is an unstoppable event they dominate all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopsnut

PostSubject: Re: Top 3A schools   Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:32 am

Not to toot my own horn, but I told all of you at the start of the year...

Cochrane provincial champs
Wetaskiwin silver
Chestermere bronze
Holy Trinity fourth

Never doubt hoopsnut again

hoopsnut wrote:
I haven't seen too many of the teams south of Red Deer. I saw the JP Reb tournament and the Ross Sheppard tournament and I would say that Cochrane would have to be in the top 5. Cochrane ran up agaianst a tough team from the USA and should have won the game against Scona. They looked good nonetheless. They have a dynamite little guard #8 and a great power big guy (#15). They were a big team, and I think most of them are garde 12s. And apparently they won the LCI tournament, which is usually a very tough tournament.

Wetaskiwin is tough. I have seen them play this year and they are very strong. The only knock on them is that they are playing very weak teams but they cann't control the strength of their league. They have a great 3 point shooter and a great point guard. They will be tough because most of them are 12s this year I think.

Chestermere is a little team but they have a great guard. He is a 6'5 east indian kid who can do it all. They also have a couple of great big kids who were a force. They shouild have beaten Ross Sheppard but couldn't hit free throws. Then they beat Foothills from Okotoks. Their only issue is that the tournament program said they were all grade 11s.

Holy Trinity from Edmonton should be in the top 5 also because they were great last year and I think most of their team is back this year and are mainly 12s. They also get pretty good competition in Edmonton all year. Anyone know if they are playing Premeir or City division this year?

I watched the provincials last year and Canmore looked like a great squad. They have enough guys who can score and again I think most of them are 12s. I haven't seen them this year though.

I agree with the last person about Camrose. I think they play weak teams and they were not that good when I saw them last year. But in 3A, they should get ranked in the top 10 for sure.
king king
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rawhyde

PostSubject: 3A provincials   Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:31 pm

hoopsnut - you definitely got it right!!

A very good provincial tournament with probably 7 teams capable of winning. Wetaskwin suffered bad luck when their point guard went down less than 4 minutes in and couldn't return. Cochrane showed poise in both the semi-final vs Chestermere (a great game I was told) as well as against Wetaskwin who led by double digits as Cochrane struggled on offense in the first half. I did see the final live and it was a great game.

The provincial seeding was made difficult as both Cochrane & Wetaskwin had lost zone finals. In the end, there were lots of great games and a well-hosted provincials by Chestermere.

As I know motives are often questioned on this forum, I am a dad of a Crescent Heights (Medicine Hat) player. While our team had a bad day and ran up against a pumped-up host team playing great, I felt the provincials were excellent and just proved the depth the 3A boys level had this year.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top 3A schools   Today at 3:16 pm

Back to top Go down

Top 3A schools
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1