HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Boys rankings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Boys rankings   Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:42 pm

So the rankings come out tommorow who has any predictions for provincial top 10?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NuthinButNet

PostSubject: Re: Boys rankings   Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:14 pm

These are just my thoughts on the top 10:

1.Raymond
2. Western Canada
3.Ross Sheppard
4.Bishop Grandin
5. Jasper Place
6. Catholic Central
7. Harry Ainlay
8. Paul Kane
9. St. Francis Xavier
10. Cardston

HM-?????
Back to top Go down
View user profile
canuck

PostSubject: reasonable but...   Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:14 pm

Ah, tis the season, here is my top 5:

Yesterday I would have picked Western to be #1 as they only graduated 2 important players from last years provincial championship team (that had a deep bench). In fact, this team looks better right now than it did at the end of last season. If you haven't seen them play, they move the ball better than many college teams. They've won every game they've played this season, including a tournament in BC. It seems they're on their way, well - until last night.

In the gold medal game at the Bert Church tournament, JP came in and stunned this talented club handing them their first loss on a silver medal!

So, should Jasper Place get the nod? There are lots of nay-sayers out there (perhaps Stanley regrets his choice) as this team has the best chance JP has had in several years being in contention come March. They will have a good season and despite this win over WC, I don't know if they have the depth to finish the season on top - however winning = respect!

Raymond - congrats on the provincial football 3-peat! Impressive. In just a few days you switched from the pigskin to the round one and are letting the south know you are for real. Not only that, you put the gears to the Titans of Ainley to win the Cougar Classic. The only battle in the south this year will be for second place. The question is whether Raymond can put it together and not choke at provincials. They've proven they can win - just look at all those 4A banners they have (more than any other school in Alberta) with the most recent from 2009. I think their early out at last provincials will give this team all the fuel they need to be at the final game in March.

Grandin - spoilers of last season, have also given Raymond their closest game so far this year - can they sneak back in? Never count out the Ghosts.

The remaining teams are in a swirling pool at this point. Look for Ainley (who beat Shep at their own tournament) to take the 5th spot with the likes of Paul Kane, St FX and Shep etc to round out the top ten. With the dilution of talent in Lethbridge (the new High School) and the change of coaching in Cardston I just don't see the south having the strength of the past - at least this season. Calgary is a bit of mystery - lots of talk but aside from Grandin, no-one is visible behind Western.

I have to laugh a bit at Catholic Central being considered top 10 in the province, with an 6 point win over Magrath, you're barely in the top 10 in the south. There is a disconnect between being a mid-sized fish in a small pond and actually deserving recognition in the big pond - feel free to earn that spot this year. I predict you'll lose your next game to Magrath! If you do, will you please stop voting yourself into the top 10?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Boys rankings   Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:58 pm

Catholic Central is in the mix but for sure not ahead of Cardston. It shouldn't surprise anyone if they're placed in the top 10 when it comes out considering the south 4a ranking committee.
Back to top Go down
kraull

PostSubject: Re: Boys rankings   Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:05 pm

Rankings out.
1 Raymond
South
2 Jasper Place
Edmonton
3 Western Canada
Calgary
4 Ross Sheppard
Edmonton
5 Harry Ainlay
Edmonton
6 Henry Wise Wood
Calgary
7 Bishop Grandin
Calgary
8 Paul Kane
Edmonton
9 Cardston High
South
10 Father Lacombe
Calgary

Honorable Mentions (alphabetical order)
Bishop O'Byrne
Calgary

Catholic Central
South

Foothills Composite
South Central

St. Francis Xavier
Edmonton

Sturgeon Composite
Edmonton

Back to top Go down
View user profile
cowtown23

PostSubject: rankngs   Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:06 pm

there are a few problems with the rankings

#1 - how the heck are some of these teams ranked?

- like Lacombe, Catholic Central and St Frances

I saw St fransis play Notre Dame at SFI and they were down like 30 points - note dame isnt even good - they only beat some terrible team that even st francis browns beat

Lacombe is ok but even bishop macnally is better than them

what about teams that arent ranked like
- St Mary's?
- LCI
- Magrath
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kraull

PostSubject: Re: Boys rankings   Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:05 pm

Funny, girls 4A is still up, but now the Boys 4A ranking is gone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tallboy

PostSubject: Re: Boys rankings   Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:15 am

"what about teams that arent ranked like
- St Mary's?
- LCI
- Magrath"

LCI has nothing but a bunch of give-up. Lots of talent but no heart. Magrath is ok but no coaching. Cardston is tough with a bunch of talent kids but too small. But they play tough every possession and live by the long ball. Catholic Central is good but consistency may be a problem.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
disturbed

PostSubject: new rankings   Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:44 pm

I think the new rankings come out early next week. Does anyone have any guesses with who will move up/down?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Boys rankings   Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:47 pm

Tallboy wrote:
"Magrath is ok but no coaching.

I would say watch out for Magrath in the second half of the season. With Allen Gallup coaching they will get better.
Back to top Go down
treyfactor

PostSubject: Re: Boys rankings   Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:08 pm

A pig with lipstick is still just a pig. Don't think the second half of the season will help them any....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
qvbsballer

PostSubject: Re: Boys rankings   Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:37 pm

As for the rankings coing out soon, i think it will relativley remain the same, with maybe a few minor drops and rises. I think the biggest jump could be Bishop Grandin going into the top 5 maybe even top 3, they have played well this season and have given Raymond their toughest game to date, and seeing some of these Edmonton teams on a regular basis i dont believe Ainlay or Jasper Place could compete with the Skill of Raymond, Western Canada, or Bishop Grandin.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: Boys rankings   Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:44 pm

Interesting that you say that the Edmonton teams cannot compete with Western. If you check the scores you will see that JP has already beaten Western so I think your observation is misfounded. Bishop Grandin's loss to Lacombe will keep them from moving up, expecially since Lacombe lost to Oleary in the foothills final. Edmonton will show well by the end of the year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Boys rankings   Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:31 pm

i think that putting bishop grandin into the top 5 is absurd, have they beat any top five teams? sure they gave raymond their closest game but they lost so that is irrelivent, i also think that jp and ainly are both better teams that grandin and western
Back to top Go down
View user profile
unregistered user

PostSubject: Re: Boys rankings   Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:35 pm

I agree. I cant see Grandin moving up. They haven't beaten anybody and lost to Lacombe. If anything they move down a spot or two. Having said that they will definitely be a challenge for any team come zones and if they make it provincials. I don't see any change in the top five other than Ainlay and Shep switching places.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: Boys rankings   Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:28 am

Shep will drop after the bad loss to Scona.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
qvbsballer

PostSubject: Re: Boys rankings   Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:51 pm

I do apologize, i have been behind in checking my southern 4a teams and didnt realize towhat extent Bishop Grandin had lost, i do agree that JP could definitley make a huge impact and win provs this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: Boys rankings   Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:32 pm

New rankings are out. A couple of questions. 1 How does Wisewood get a top ten ranking when they have ONE score entered on the ranking page. 2. How does a team with 6 losses get an HM especially since 4 of those losses are against unranked teams when there are several other teams with 3 losses(PK and Sturgeon) to ranked opponents?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: Boys rankings   Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:49 am

I have to eat my words about Henry Wisewood, as they knock off JP in the BOB final. However, I am still curious as to why they do not post scores for the rankers?
Raymond goes 1-2 loses the 3rd place game by 8 at Kelowna, Grandin goes0-3. Boxscore reveals that BG should have won their last game but were horrible from the line, ouch. That looked like an amazing tournament.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Edmontonball

PostSubject: Re: Boys rankings   Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:55 pm

The draw was brutal. I think JP lost to Wisewood in the 1st round.

Who played in the final? Wisewood vs. BOB?? Who won?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Boys rankings   Today at 5:48 am

Back to top Go down

Boys rankings
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1