HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Mid Season Report

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
obcnamtaf

PostSubject: Mid Season Report   Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:44 am

We are at the half way point in another high school season.

Any issues ?

1) Rule changes that affected play ? i.e. Advancing the ball to the opponents 3pt line extended in the last two minutes. Has that been a factor. Teams scoring more ? Any thoughts ?
2) Is it me or is there more parity ? Top AA teams as good as a lot of middle of the pack or even top AAA teams. Could having two tiers actually be an Ok thing for MOST teams , but not all ? Jusy askin ?
3) Also are there more and more tournament organizers , looking for teams at the last minute ? Are more teams than usual not honoring their committments to attend tournamnets ? Reasons for this are ? travel rules ?, increasing cost ?
4) Mid season rankings ? Any teams that are surprising anybody ? Surprises - Dominance of TV girls in AA ? Is anyone gonna be able to stop Sugarloaf Boys ? Is AAA boys really as wide open as it appears with anyone of 5 teams capable of winning it all ? Is there anyone in NB ball that can challenge the RHS girls ?
5) Officiating so far this year....pretty good ? Getting better ? Getting worse ?

There that should give us some stuff for discussion over the Xmas break. Lots to BS about here , I think , so go for it. Very Happy

How about between now and Jan 1st we nominate and later vote on any post we read here that we feel deserves , the Hooplife PHD ( Pile it Higher and Deeper ) Award. (not counting this one scorekeep.... Smile )

Thoughts anyone? Looking forward to some good holiday reading ...heheheh...

merry Christmas everyone!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coachmac

PostSubject: Re: Mid Season Report   Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:10 pm

obcnamtaf wrote:

Any issues ?

1) Rule changes that affected play ? i.e. Advancing the ball to the opponents 3pt line extended in the last two minutes. Has that been a factor. Teams scoring more ? Any thoughts ?
I like the shot clock 14 second rules.

2) Is it me or is there more parity ? Top AA teams as good as a lot of middle of the pack or even top AAA teams. Could having two tiers actually be an Ok thing for MOST teams , but not all ? Jusy askin ?
AA girls seem rather even, with the exception of TV. But, they are only 4-6 turned ankles from coming back to the rest of us.

3) Also are there more and more tournament organizers , looking for teams at the last minute ? Are more teams than usual not honoring their committments to attend tournamnets ? Reasons for this are ? travel rules ?, increasing cost ?
I was wondering about this, myself. I don't think it has to do with travel rules or costs, but not sure what the reasons are.

4) Mid season rankings ? Any teams that are surprising anybody ? Surprises - Dominance of TV girls in AA ? Is anyone gonna be able to stop Sugarloaf Boys ? Is AAA boys really as wide open as it appears with anyone of 5 teams capable of winning it all ? Is there anyone in NB ball that can challenge the RHS girls ?
I don't see Sugarloaf losing, but then again all you need to do is hit one hot shooting team and go cold yourself in that opening round and you are going home. Of course, as weak as the east is, the 4th place team is going to have to shoot the lights out.

5) Officiating so far this year....pretty good ? Getting better ? Getting worse ?
I don't think it is getting worse or better. I will say I had a terrible ref in Hillsborough the other night(and it is rare I complain about a ref). People have been claiming he is getting worse, but I saw it for myself. He did know the rule about tucking in their shirts though, because he told players repeatedly during the game. I judge ref's in both soccer and basketball by their obsessions with the shirt tuck. Watch for yourself. You will see the good ones mention it once, to start, and never mention the rest of the game. But then again, I was a terrible basketball ref and didn't care about the shirt....lol.

There that should give us some stuff for discussion over the Xmas break. Lots to BS about here , I think , so go for it. Very Happy

How about between now and Jan 1st we nominate and later vote on any post we read here that we feel deserves , the Hooplife PHD ( Pile it Higher and Deeper ) Award. (not counting this one scorekeep.... Smile )

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.homesmoncton.com
Maripac30

PostSubject: Re: Mid Season Report   Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:55 pm

1. I don't think any of the rule changes have had a major impact. At least not in the games I have seen

2. Bite your tongue, how could you even suggest such blasphemy Smile

3. Definitely seems like every tournament is having a difficult time getting and then keeping teams. Not sure why. One excuse seems to be that the parents / schools are not as committed as the players / coaches.

4. BHS is a better than I expected ( knew they were good but didn't expect their dominance so far) , not really sure how you can say AAA is wide open, BHS has won every tournament they have enterd so are definitely the team to beat. Sugarloaf is still top dog in AA. Their reliance on the 3 may be their undoing if they go cold at the wrong time.

5. Officiating is "same old same old". the good ones are still good, the bad ones are still bad.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AA Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mid Season Report   Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:07 pm

1. 14 second rule O.K. by me .Never really noticed any other during games

2. Not touching this one yet

3.For the first time I can recall I have seen start times of tourneys changed by nbiaa because of complaints from teachers .

4. AA and AAA girls seem to have dominate teams at the top but the rest is wide open from 2 to 7 on any given night could change . AA boys are led by Sugarloaf but there are some teams knocking at the door . AAA boys is probably the most open but BHS looks good early . But not suprised . Riverview players show up at 6 am to shoot and Tobique has played more games than anyone in the province by a lot . Sugarloaf runs b-ball all year with all players showing up . Its not shocking when the most dedicated teams win !!!

5 . Officials are like always it depends on what part of the province you are playing in and the teams that can adjust do well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Jaxxson

PostSubject: Re: Mid Season Report   Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:13 pm

Yes Sugarloaf does rely on their 3's but if it works for them then i guess it works. BHS is still the front runner in my eyes proven themselves after every tournament that their the best team right now. Also, I think Sugarloaf even though undersized a bit and rely on the 3 could of played AAA this year and would have done ok in my opinion
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Mid Season Report   Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:20 pm

obcnamtaf wrote:

Any issues ?

1. I don't think any specific rule changes have had a major impact. I like most of them so far. It seems to me that I've been concerned for a couple of years about all the rule changes to make things unsportsmanlike, fearing things would get out of hand. This year I've seen more but most of them have had to do with a discrepency in what is considered excessive contact rather then rules adjustments.

2. I think there is more parity in the AA and AAA ranks. I'm sure the middle of the pack teams in each feel like they are far and removed from the top teams, but that has more to do with what teams are doing in the off season then school size. I still think bad AAA and bad AA teams need somewhere to play if they have no interest in having competitive programs, but that is another issue.

3. My theory on this is the nature of scheduling and reality of most schools. While the NBIAA seems to be under the impression that everyone is scheduling exhibition games after league schedules get put together in Nov., everyone who knows anything about basketball is aware that if you want a top schedule you must schedule your tournaments and exh. year to year and as early as may/june of the year before. A lot of schools are having to replace coaches or find coaches right up to the start of the season. The coaches they find may not be as interested or able to meet the commitments schools/ad's/previous coaches worked hard to find. Combine this with the increased responsibilty on parents to travel in some communities where one sick driver or family emergency can eliminate a group of kids from travelling . . . I think it is silly and ridiculous but we haven't got enough space to talk about things I think are silly/ridiculous.

4. I'm ok with basketball we're seeing province wide. I don't think 2 tiers is perfect, but from a competitive stand point there are certainly more really good teams (imo) then there were when we had 3 tiers. RHS and TV are tops in girls but TV will be more human in the future, most other AAA teams are young and not doing quite as much as RHS so that's fair too. The top 3-4 AA boys teams in the province would all be in the top 2-4 in their respective AAA counterpart conferences. I think its great. Clearly the gap between the top and bottom is bad but most of the complaining I hear comes from the middle.

5. THe officiating is what it is. We need to find more young blood to officiate in the province, particularly the rural corners but it is what it is. The only problem I see is the chronic one year in and year out of inconsistency from region to region. My most recent evidence is we've got a player who has fouled out of every single game we've played in the southern conference. In games outside the south the same player has not fouled out of a single game and is averaging 2 per game. Don't even get me started on the unsportsmanlikes . . .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: Mid Season Report   Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:44 pm

1) Rule changes are a good addition.

2) There is a lot of parity in the AA and AAA IF you take out the top team in each. There are some definite favourites this year.

3) Not too sure about why teams seem to be dropping out of tournaments. It could be that they book as soon as they can for fear of not filling game caps. Then pull out at last minute when something better comes up??? Not sure.

4) No surprises on the AA side with TV. They were last years champs with all players returning and adding some great JV's. Sugarloaf should not be a surprise either.

5) I agree with most on this one. Officiating can be great or horrible, just depends on who you get.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mid Season Report   Today at 8:03 pm

Back to top Go down

Mid Season Report
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1