HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

AA and AAA boys surprise players

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
believer

PostSubject: AA and AAA boys surprise players   Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:50 pm

we are halfway through the season... are there any players in AA and AAA boys that surprise you or have caught you off gaurd and you find yourself thinking "wow that kids pretty good, where did he come from?!" are there any players that disappoint you and you are left wondering "what so great about him?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
guest321

PostSubject: Re: AA and AAA boys surprise players   Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:21 pm

Brandon Moffit - Overrated.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rudas

PostSubject: Re: AA and AAA boys surprise players   Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:32 am

guest321 wrote:
How are things on Grand Manan guest321?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardfouls

PostSubject: Re: AA and AAA boys surprise players   Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:53 am

Some names that come to mind from the AAA Southern Conference...

JD Kent (KVHS) is having a great season so far.

I thought Andrew McGillicuddy would put up bigger numbers at SJHS but he's definitely helped turn that program around.

Liam Shea has put up huge numbers (a couple 50+ games already) while keeping Rothesay in the playoff hunt.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hardfouls.com
coach12

PostSubject: Re: AA and AAA boys surprise players   Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:47 pm

I've had the chance to watch some games around the province. I've seen Leo Hayes play in Fredericton a couple of times. I think the player that is having a great year, that most didn't speak about before the season started, is Sam Goucher. He has kept the Lions in many games and continues to impress.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
guest321

PostSubject: Re: AA and AAA boys surprise players   Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:08 pm

Rudas wrote:
guest321 wrote:
How are things on Grand Manan guest321?

Trying to imply thats where im from? Guess again. and i just think all the hype is about him cause he drops like 30 per game, but hes probably the only one in the double digits, basketball is a team sport. the best playeers are those who make everyone around them better, and arent jsut out there to look good. Thats just my opinion tho.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rudas

PostSubject: Re: AA and AAA boys surprise players   Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:54 pm

I'm not sure why you would feel Moffitt is overrated. From what I have seen on here he has been acknowledged as one of the top two or three players in AA. Do you really think he is below that? As far as the McAdam team goes, they are averaging over 70 points a game. If Moffitt gets 30 well that leaves a few more and either Coburn, Demerchant, or Cleghorn are in double digits every game. They lost in the ganong final to a very good Calais team only by six points. They actually led by one with just over a minute to go. Stop sh***ing on this kid. Moffitt is a good player bottom line. Yes he scores about 30 a game AND has double digit rebounds and assists, plus 2-3 blocks a game and half a dozen steals. I might start to see your point if he was on a bad team and simply shot all the time but that's not the case. To quote Calais coach Leeman from last weekend, "that number 11 on McAdam can just about do it all."

Last edited by Rudas on Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball Player 06/08-10

PostSubject: Re: AA and AAA boys surprise players   Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:38 pm

Rudas wrote:
I'm not sure why you would feel Moffitt is overrated. From what I have seen on here he has been acknowledged as the top two or three players in AA. Do you really think he is below that? As far as the McAdam team goes, they are averaging over 70 points a game. If Moffitt gets 30 well that leaves a few more and either Coburn, Demerchant, or Cleghorn are in double digits every game. They lost in the ganong final to a very good Calais team only by six points. They actually led by one with just over a minute to go. Stop sh***ing on this kid. Moffitt is a good player bottom line. Yes he scores about 30 a game AND has double digit rebounds and assists, plus 2-3 blocks a game and half a dozen steals. I might start to see your point if he was on a bad team and simply shot all the time but that's not the case. To quote Calais coach Leeman from last weekend, "that number 11 on McAdam can just about do it all."

Nobody said he wasn't good. Hell, he is a great player. But you know from the games I have seen and used to play in, if you give the guy a shove he will pretty much walk out of the key. But that's the only fault in his game that I can find so yes he is a very good player.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nbball

PostSubject: Re: AA and AAA boys surprise players   Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:42 pm

hmm... seems some people may be still ticked off for him shooting a three at the end of the game rendeer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NB Basketball

PostSubject: Re: AA and AAA boys surprise players   Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:33 pm

Ball Player 06/08-10 wrote:
Rudas wrote:
I'm not sure why you would feel Moffitt is overrated. From what I have seen on here he has been acknowledged as the top two or three players in AA. Do you really think he is below that? As far as the McAdam team goes, they are averaging over 70 points a game. If Moffitt gets 30 well that leaves a few more and either Coburn, Demerchant, or Cleghorn are in double digits every game. They lost in the ganong final to a very good Calais team only by six points. They actually led by one with just over a minute to go. Stop sh***ing on this kid. Moffitt is a good player bottom line. Yes he scores about 30 a game AND has double digit rebounds and assists, plus 2-3 blocks a game and half a dozen steals. I might start to see your point if he was on a bad team and simply shot all the time but that's not the case. To quote Calais coach Leeman from last weekend, "that number 11 on McAdam can just about do it all."

Nobody said he wasn't good. Hell, he is a great player. But you know from the games I have seen and used to play in, if you give the guy a shove he will pretty much walk out of the key. But that's the only fault in his game that I can find so yes he is a very good player.

Say what you want about Moffit but don't say he is a weak player. If he gets knocked down he gets right back up and if you push him or one of his teammates he will be the first player in your face. If Moffit so called gets shoved and stops being aggresive then how does he score so much because he is continuously roughed up in every game but always goes right back into the key. Also if you have seen that team play this year they are a team that likes to get a little rough and tumble with you sometimes especially Moffit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball Player 06/08-10

PostSubject: Re: AA and AAA boys surprise players   Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:46 pm

NB Basketball wrote:
Rudas wrote:

Say what you want about Moffit but don't say he is a weak player. If he gets knocked down he gets right back up and if you push him or one of his teammates he will be the first player in your face. If Moffit so called gets shoved and stops being aggresive then how does he score so much because he is continuously roughed up in every game but always goes right back into the key. Also if you have seen that team play this year they are a team that likes to get a little rough and tumble with you sometimes especially Moffit.

Listen, I am not criticizing him because he is a much better player than I was. All I am saying is that with a shove you don't have to worry about him being in the paint on that particular play. But he can shoot the lights out so he doesn't even really need to be in the key in the first place. Like I said I wasn't criticizing. Just stating what I have saw.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rudas

PostSubject: Re: AA and AAA boys surprise players   Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:58 pm

Not sure how many times you have seen him but he doesn't shy away from the physical play at all. As a matter of fact his coach has had to talk to him about stopping the chirping and getting sucked into confrontation with specific players who try to get under his skin. It sounds like you have graduated. If so you would have played against him when he was in grade nine or ten. A very different player now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball Player 06/08-10

PostSubject: Re: AA and AAA boys surprise players   Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:08 pm

Rudas wrote:
Not sure how many times you have seen him but he doesn't shy away from the physical play at all. As a matter of fact his coach has had to talk to him about stopping the chirping and getting sucked into confrontation with specific players who try to get under his skin. It sounds like you have graduated. If so you would have played against him when he was in grade nine or ten. A very different player now.

Fair enough. Anyways back on topic. How about Tyler Howlett anyone? Really impressed me so far. Without Ben and Jake he has taken over in a huge way. In my opinion anyway. Howlett vs Moffit for MVP in the South for sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
believer

PostSubject: Re: AA and AAA boys surprise players   Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:16 pm

what about mvp candidates in the north, east and west too?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball Player 06/08-10

PostSubject: Re: AA and AAA boys surprise players   Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:17 pm

believer wrote:
what about mvp candidates in the north, east and west too?

Would love to hear some names as I don't get to see teams from these divisions very often.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EastSide

PostSubject: Re: AA and AAA boys surprise players   Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:19 pm

West it's got to be Brandon Meikle.
South Moffit is a now brainer.
North most like Pat McNaughton.
East is a throw up, Justin Corey from Minto, Eric Lewis or Kody MacPhail from JMA. Could go either way, depends how the teams do.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
guest321

PostSubject: Re: AA and AAA boys surprise players   Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:27 pm

Funny how everyone sais dont say he isnt a good player, i never stated he wasnt a good player, all i said was hes overrated.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EastSide

PostSubject: Re: AA and AAA boys surprise players   Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:28 pm

How can a high school player be overrated? Where not talking about the NBA here, were talking about high school, stop hating because you were never mentioned as a top player in the province when you were in hs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball Player 06/08-10

PostSubject: Re: AA and AAA boys surprise players   Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:30 pm

guest321 wrote:
Funny how everyone sais dont say he isnt a good player, i never stated he wasnt a good player, all i said was hes overrated.

That's why I was trying to stand up for you. Oh well I guess. It just seems like everyone on here thinks he is gods gift to NB basketball, got nothing against the guy.

And yes of course Meikle, I should've known that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EastSide

PostSubject: Re: AA and AAA boys surprise players   Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:32 pm

No one thinks he is gods gift, but he is definitely top 3 in AA.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball Player 06/08-10

PostSubject: Re: AA and AAA boys surprise players   Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:34 pm

EastSide wrote:
No one thinks he is gods gift, but he is definitely top 3 in AA.

And I agree. Probably number 1. And I am sure guest321 agrees as well. Just seems like he is the only thing ever talked about. I want to hear about guys like Meikle and how Gillis is doing in the boys league(good from what I have heard). I guess you probably get it, I know the guy is good but I am interested in more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EastSide

PostSubject: Re: AA and AAA boys surprise players   Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:37 pm

yeah well in the east you have Justin Corey, big guy from Minto.

Eric Lewis and Kody Macphail from JMA who can drop 30 any given night.

West you have meikle who can light it up, has been doing it since he was in grade 9 playing for DP.

South has Robinson from Harvey who clean up the board..does all the dirty work. Tyler Howlett from Camp, is pretty good, but I don't think Campo has it in them this season.

Sugarloaf has Pat Macnaughton in the north. Most of their team is really good though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball Player 06/08-10

PostSubject: Re: AA and AAA boys surprise players   Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:45 pm

EastSide wrote:

West you have meikle who can light it up, has been doing it since he was in grade 9 playing for DP.

South has Robinson from Harvey who clean up the board..does all the dirty work. Tyler Howlett from Camp, is pretty good, but I don't think Campo has it in them this season.

Sugarloaf has Pat Macnaughton in the north. Most of their team is really good though.

Alright, I am pretty sure I have played against the guys from JMA. Two very good players. Played Meikle a few times, fella does it quietly but when you look at the score sheet at the end always has great numbers, much respect to him.

I know Campo is weak because it's basically a one man wrecking crew(no offense to any of the other guys, I know they all work their butts off as does everyone in the province and that's what it is all about). Don't remember much about Harvey, I think it's a very strong team and one player doesn't outshine the rest too much. McAdam surprised me the team must have worked hard before the season because the game plan is played perfectly. Haven't had a chance to see Fundy yet but I know they were quick last year and worked hard and that's how they won games. Saint John High changed a lot not sure what that team looks like this year but apparently quite a bit better. I have heard that Simonds got a little bit stronger from last year.

Anyone know anything about St.Stephen? Interested to hear about them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NB Basketball

PostSubject: Re: AA and AAA boys surprise players   Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:54 pm

EastSide wrote:

Alright, I am pretty sure I have played against the guys from JMA. Two very good players. Played Meikle a few times, fella does it quietly but when you look at the score sheet at the end always has great numbers, much respect to him.

I know Campo is weak because it's basically a one man wrecking crew(no offense to any of the other guys, I know they all work their butts off as does everyone in the province and that's what it is all about). Don't remember much about Harvey, I think it's a very strong team and one player doesn't outshine the rest too much. McAdam surprised me the team must have worked hard before the season because the game plan is played perfectly. Haven't had a chance to see Fundy yet but I know they were quick last year and worked hard and that's how they won games. Saint John High changed a lot not sure what that team looks like this year but apparently quite a bit better. I have heard that Simonds got a little bit stronger from last year.

Anyone know anything about St.Stephen? Interested to hear about them.

From what I have seen Simonds still needs major work and Saint John High has changed alot they have a good thing going for them right now. Not a top AAA obviously but are getting better, it's a hit and a miss with them aometimes they play awesome and other times it looks like they have no clue what they are doing. As for St. Stephen they are a young and decent team. Alot of grade 10's on their team. Everyone talks about Marshal Elesmore but they should really look at his brother not sure of his name but he is good and their left handed guard he is number 9 not sure of the name.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball Player 06/08-10

PostSubject: Re: AA and AAA boys surprise players   Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:56 pm

thanks for the info. Now I just wish I could make it to more "out of market" games. Really interested in teams outside of the South.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AA and AAA boys surprise players   Today at 1:12 pm

Back to top Go down

AA and AAA boys surprise players
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next