HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Any Ladies Potato Barrel Classic predictions?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
baller24

PostSubject: Any Ladies Potato Barrel Classic predictions?   Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:44 pm

Let's hear your thoughts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AA Fan

PostSubject: Re: Any Ladies Potato Barrel Classic predictions?   Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:56 am

Woodstock would have to be favorites going in . They have won two tourneys over the last few weeks . You can never count out FHS with there depth of talent, add harrison tremble and that should be the top 3 going in . Tantramar and CNHS are maybe a step below these 3 . I have no idea where to rank Tobique Valley but am interested to see how they compete at this level .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: Any Ladies Potato Barrel Classic predictions?   Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:36 am

Should be a great tournament.

Tobique can play with all of these big dogs, if they keep their starters in for the majority of the game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: Any Ladies Potato Barrel Classic predictions?   Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:21 pm

I will make a guess that Tobique comes in a close second to Woodstock.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
student

PostSubject: Re: Any Ladies Potato Barrel Classic predictions?   Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:39 pm

kats got the best bigs for nb either aa or aaa.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: Any Ladies Potato Barrel Classic predictions?   Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:09 pm

anybody know the schedule for the Potato Barrel?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: Any Ladies Potato Barrel Classic predictions?   Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:41 am

The Kats should have the best "bigs" in NB with 1500 plus students at their school. For a team like Tobique to be able to compete ( and they will give them all they can handle) should be unheard of.

But the Kats will not even be the best team there. Woodstock and Tobique in the final????
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pastprimetime

PostSubject: Re: Any Ladies Potato Barrel Classic predictions?   Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:04 am

The pace and style of play will be the hardest thing for TVHS to adjust to. The top AAA will play 10 players against TVHS's 3. TVHS play a 2-3 zone for the most part and at the AA level this works because of a lack of consistent perimeter shooting and interior players who like the physical game. While TVHS may be able to hand inside with their size their perimeter have not played the likes of Anderson, Vase, Hazellette and will find it tough to stop their penetration. They have not faced shooters like Leblanc, Wilson or post players like McGatten, Amy. Here I am only touching on the player depth of the AAA teams who will be in attentance
The ability of Trimble, Woodstock and FHS to continually push the ball and pick up full court will wear TVHS down especially the further the tournament goes.
That said the top teams in one division normally can stay with the next division, at least in my experience any time I have had a strong team i was able to compete with the upper level teams in the next division.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celtic

PostSubject: Re: Any Ladies Potato Barrel Classic predictions?   Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:06 am

pastprimetime wrote:
The pace and style of play will be the hardest thing for TVHS to adjust to. The top AAA will play 10 players against TVHS's 3. TVHS play a 2-3 zone for the most part and at the AA level this works because of a lack of consistent perimeter shooting and interior players who like the physical game. While TVHS may be able to hand inside with their size their perimeter have not played the likes of Anderson, Vase, Hazellette and will find it tough to stop their penetration. They have not faced shooters like Leblanc, Wilson or post players like McGatten, Amy. Here I am only touching on the player depth of the AAA teams who will be in attentance
The ability of Trimble, Woodstock and FHS to continually push the ball and pick up full court will wear TVHS down especially the further the tournament goes.
That said the top teams in one division normally can stay with the next division, at least in my experience any time I have had a strong team i was able to compete with the upper level teams in the next division.

You may be right, they will surely see a different game than they have played all year. It will be interesting to see how they adjust. I am still picking them to be in the final vs WHS.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: Any Ladies Potato Barrel Classic predictions?   Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:22 pm

I do not imagine Tobique will get too worked up if they lose to these big schools. They should not even be able to compete. They will just use this to get ready for playoffs and get some competition and maybe have their starters play some decent minutes.

Would be nice for them to knock one of these big ones off though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballfan

PostSubject: Re: Any Ladies Potato Barrel Classic predictions?   Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:35 pm

I'm from Alberta and have been following your thread related about Tobique or TVHS, a small school that dominates its division. From what I have read it seems that the majority of the replies believe that TV will not be able to complete against the cream of the AAA schools.

In Alberta, we have a similar situation, whereas a small high school, (a smaller school may declare at the beginning of each season if they choose to compete in a higher division then they would normally compete in), from Raymond (small town south of Calgary), with an enrollment of approx 300 students, year after year competes and often wins at our provincial bball playoffs against the large high schools (in excess of 1250 students). In fact they won the provincial bball title two years ago for both the boys and girls.

So its possible that TV could upset these big schools, it happens all the time in Alberta.

Good luck to TV.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
student

PostSubject: Re: Any Ladies Potato Barrel Classic predictions?   Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:40 pm

very interesting. would you have schools much bigger than 1250 students?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Any Ladies Potato Barrel Classic predictions?   Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:59 pm

student wrote:
very interesting. would you have schools much bigger than 1250 students?

Student: who plays post along side Appleby this year at FHS?

I think TV can compete athletically, and may even be able to control the boards. The issue as I see it is if they can adjust to playing vs this competition. In AA they are happy to zone up and then rebound and run to outscore people badly. I don't know that they want to track meet, but I'm not sure their zone D can stop the FHS's and WHS's from scoring?? It will be interesting.

My guess is FHS vs WHS final but I do think TVHS could and possibly should beat the other teams there.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slam Dunk

PostSubject: Christmas Cheer???   Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:23 pm

" I don't know that they want to track meet, but I'm not sure their zone D can stop the FHS'sand WHS's from scoring??"

I think I have had too much egg nog!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
student

PostSubject: Re: Any Ladies Potato Barrel Classic predictions?   Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:04 pm

coach djr, beaney and e mcleod are the other 2 main bigs. both saw action at nationals u15 and u17
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Any Ladies Potato Barrel Classic predictions?   Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:08 pm

Slam Dunk wrote:
" I don't know that they want to track meet, but I'm not sure their zone D can stop the FHS'sand WHS's from scoring??"

I think I have had too much egg nog!

That may not have been overly clear.

My point was I'm not sure how they (or I if I had input) would game plan to beat FHS or WHS with Tobique's players. If they choose to play at speed and try to "track meet" (fast break, open, up and down basketball) these teams have more firepower. They could also try to control the pace of play and make it a half court game but I'm not sure their half court zone defense is good enough to stop FHS/WHS from scoring efficiently in the half court. So either way they appear to be in trouble to me, and I'm not sure which they would be more likely to use.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Any Ladies Potato Barrel Classic predictions?   Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:12 pm

student wrote:
coach djr, beaney and e mcleod are the other 2 main bigs. both saw action at nationals u15 and u17

Thanks I'm familiar with both players, I feel they are both skilled players, though I'm not sure either matchups up well m2m vs. Oulette or Goodine. Though Appleby has the athletcism to handle either. If these 3 combine to attack them offensively though I could see them putting them in foul trouble.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
student

PostSubject: Re: Any Ladies Potato Barrel Classic predictions?   Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:58 am

matchups is a huge point but the factor i see is those three will block out a huge area for themselves
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celtic

PostSubject: Re: Any Ladies Potato Barrel Classic predictions?   Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:30 am

student wrote:
matchups is a huge point but the factor i see is those three will block out a huge area for themselves

Have you seen Goodine or Ouellette? Trust me, getting blocked out is not in their vocabulary. TV will play their game...get rebounds and run the ball.. that is what they are good at. If they get beat, they get beat but i'll guarantee you that the other teams will know who they are before the weekend is out!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AA Fan

PostSubject: Re: Any Ladies Potato Barrel Classic predictions?   Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:56 pm

I agree with celtic . Tobique will play there game and will not change . As far as players that went to nationals FHS has two , Woodstock has three ( Wilson,Anderson and Mchatten) , Harrison Tremble has two ( Leblanc and Vass) and Tobique has two . Ouellette with the under 15 two years ago and Goodine this year . Sudent if you think that FHS will push TV around you are sadly mistaken . Ouellette is 6 foot and probably around 180 , Goodine is 6 foot with a 6 foot two wing span , Glass is 5'9 and Hillary Ouellette is 5'9 and both are very strong .They might out skill them but they will not push them around . TV had to many wars against Hartland last year and the year before to be worried about that and they are not scared to play anyone. Whether TV wins a game or not this weekend does not matter. Everyone is talking about FHS and Woodstock but correct me if I am wrong but did Harrison Tremble beat FHS once already this year ??? They will be in the mix also . I predict some very good ball with all that talent but if I had to pick one I would say Woodstock . Should be some great medal games !!!! If TV can compete and I think they will it will be a great achievement for a school that is graduating 46 kids that is male and female !!! I hat to say GO Panthers as I am from the southern end of Victoria county but GO Panthers!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: Any Ladies Potato Barrel Classic predictions?   Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:46 pm

Tobique has a starting line up that can track meet and rebound with anyone. If they can keep their starters in for most of the game they have a chance. They will not get pushed around, but could get out benched by these big schools. Should be interesting to see how it turns out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HS11-13

PostSubject: Re: Any Ladies Potato Barrel Classic predictions?   Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:09 am

Any score yet for the mens and womans guys at the PBC
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: Any Ladies Potato Barrel Classic predictions?   Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:26 am

On the girls side. Tobique over Carleton North by 3. Must have been a good one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballers

PostSubject: Re: Any Ladies Potato Barrel Classic predictions?   Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:05 pm

TRHS Lady Titans upset Woodstock Lady Thunder 60-56! Never under estimate the UNDERDOGS!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Any Ladies Potato Barrel Classic predictions?   Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:58 pm

Woodstock Beats FHS.

Trimble thumps CNHS.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any Ladies Potato Barrel Classic predictions?   Today at 1:50 am

Back to top Go down

Any Ladies Potato Barrel Classic predictions?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next