HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Been pretty quiet for AA Girls information

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
baller24

PostSubject: Re: Been pretty quiet for AA Girls information   Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:29 pm

I am sure the Tobique girls would like that but the organizers of the tourney would not so much.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slam Dunk

PostSubject: Re: Been pretty quiet for AA Girls information   Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:32 pm

Coachmac wrote:
baller24 wrote:
Most years you can not plan ahead as some #1 seeds are not determined until the last game. With Pond Hockey being the biggest event in New Brunswick there would be no way to tell them "no the gym is not available" for your dance.

You can always plan on an area as you can this year. Plan for this to be somewhere around the Woodstock area, from what I am hearing.

They could always hope for two weeks of rain. Not flood-like rains, just a nice little drizzle.

Baller has already assured us the pond will be frozen. No global warming at Tobique. Make plans for CNHS or Hartland. Still think a rematch at RNS would be nice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
20yearcoach

PostSubject: Re: Been pretty quiet for AA Girls information   Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:43 am

So it looks liek Hartland will be hosting AA Girls Regionals - now we just need to figure out rankings - sounds like in there will be one team disapppointed who will not advance from the south west regionals:
South:
GMCS
RNS
Harvey

West:
TVHS
SVHS
The south is quite a battle since the 2 times RNS played GMCS Simonds was injured and by the sounds of things she is back (JMA tournament results) and GMCS barely beat HHS (1 point). HHS have not played RNS yet. This week could be interesting - Thursday GMCS @ RNS and Saturday RNS @ HHS.
The West has been won by TVHS ( even if they are injured - they will play come play-offs) and Southern Victoria is very, very young.
My Thoughts coming out of South West will be -
1. TVHS
2. RNS
3. GMCS
4. Harvey
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: Been pretty quiet for AA Girls information   Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:59 am

One good team will definitely be disappointed coming out of these regionals.

If Tobique is healthy, and they will be by this point it does not really matter anyways who is at the regionals. It will be interesting to see the jockeying that goes on to avoid them in the sectional though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopsdawg

PostSubject: AA Girls   Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:21 am

Funny Stanley is 9th but has beaten SV, Petty , and Harvey...Lost to them by 1 at their own tourny by a dramatic comeback by Harvey girls...Harvey only lost by 1 to Grand Manan...JMA pushing RNS hard tells me that upsets will be order of the day as parity seems to be alive and kicking...

Boys...Rankings look bang on ...Might be easier for Dal and Sugarloaf to advance from conference championships as neither have to travel ...I expect Sugarloaf and Dal to be 1 2 but who knows...In the In South Harvey N then Mcadam...interesting sectionals for sure

Who is peaking and are healthy when it counts...Who do you not want to play besides Tobique Girls or Sugarloaf boys in an elimination game?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
20yearcoach

PostSubject: Re: Been pretty quiet for AA Girls information   Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:48 am

baller24 wrote:
One good team will definitely be disappointed coming out of these regionals.

If Tobique is healthy, and they will be by this point it does not really matter anyways who is at the regionals. It will be interesting to see the jockeying that goes on to avoid them in the sectional though.

Agreed - the losers of the Saturday a.m. games at Regionals will be playing their bench to avoid being in the same sectional as Tobique
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AA Fan

PostSubject: Re: Been pretty quiet for AA Girls information   Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:08 pm

Not sure of the status on Goodine's ankle but if she is not healthy no one will fear playing TV . They are easy to defend without her in the line up . Stop the post and you win .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopsdawg

PostSubject: Tobique   Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:11 pm

Will beat Grand Manan in final...RNS will fold down the stretch...Teams will take Anna away n run their bigs and get them out of the zone they been playing since ..ummmm Forever...Tobique by 30
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pastprimetime

PostSubject: Re: Been pretty quiet for AA Girls information   Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:53 pm

This talk of throwing games at any level is just way to disturbing, but to think a coach at the high school level would want to teach his players to intentionally throw a competition is just down right wrong. These are developing players who for the most part will wwALK AWAY FROM from there competitive playing days with the memory of throwing a competition. If the best we can do is teach them how to cheat, then we shpuld not be in the game.
I have lost to many championship teams and have taken pride in having competed hard, not sure I could keep my head high with intentiuonally throwing a game, not sure my players could leave me respecting in how I chose to prepare them for their future life by ducking and hiding from those who show strength.
When did high school atheltics become about how far a coach can go, I fail to see how a teenager walks away fron the experience with a positive attitude about themselves. Players and coaches alike have been banned from sport for throwing games and should here as well.
Shame on nayone who considers it a strong coaching move to throw a competition to ease your road and unfortuneately other coaches get covered with your manure spreading
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slam Dunk

PostSubject: Re: Been pretty quiet for AA Girls information   Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:53 am

[ the losers of the Saturday a.m. games at Regionals will be playing their bench to avoid being in the same sectional as Tobique[/quote]

What a great system of playoffs. This talk has been going on and throwing games in 3-4 games have actually happened Those in control of the NBIAA should be ashamed they have not fixed it. This year there are clearly 3 teams which stand above the rest of the pack and they all are in the South-West,yet one of the teams seem to be ranked as #1, "the team to beat" and with that I agree. With a proper ranking system RNS and GM would have the potential to be playing in a final game to see who would advance to Harbor Station. With the current system that game is highly unlikely if not impossible.

Having said that anything could happen on a given day. What happens should GM "happen" to beat TV, and then TV wins the 3-4 game. Are we now talking on throwing the 1-2 game? Way to go NBIAA, it is time to fix the problem! Rank 1-8, all play in one location, lose and go home. Seems to work well in Maine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AA Fan

PostSubject: Re: Been pretty quiet for AA Girls information   Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:52 am

I agree Slam Dunk . Where they come up with this SW and NE format is beyond me . With teams like GM or RNS or Campobello possibly having to travel to TV for an elimination game . What are you looking at there for Campo , a five hour plus drive ?? As far as teams throwing games I have seen it happen but this is all on the coach . The way most of these occur is when the coach sets his or her top players and it is unfortuate that our playdowns are set up so it can be advantages to do this . Our sectionals are fine as they are win or go home it is our regionals that need to be looked at . But with probably the top 3 teams all going to the same regionals the cat and mouse games will or can occur . The goal for every team going in is to get to Harbour so what is the correct coaching move ?? Win a game that puts you at a disadvantage or play your bench to set up a better match up ?? People say you owe it to your players to play to win but remember your goal . The system is without a doubt flawed !! Last year the top five teams where from the SW and you ended up with the defending champs Hartland going against RNS in an elimination game on friday at regionals. Both where top five in the province . FLAWED
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celtic

PostSubject: Re: Been pretty quiet for AA Girls information   Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:09 am

AA Fan wrote:
I agree Slam Dunk . Where they come up with this SW and NE format is beyond me . With teams like GM or RNS or Campobello possibly having to travel to TV for an elimination game . What are you looking at there for Campo , a five hour plus drive ?? As far as teams throwing games I have seen it happen but this is all on the coach . The way most of these occur is when the coach sets his or her top players and it is unfortuate that our playdowns are set up so it can be advantages to do this . Our sectionals are fine as they are win or go home it is our regionals that need to be looked at . But with probably the top 3 teams all going to the same regionals the cat and mouse games will or can occur . The goal for every team going in is to get to Harbour so what is the correct coaching move ?? Win a game that puts you at a disadvantage or play your bench to set up a better match up ?? People say you owe it to your players to play to win but remember your goal . The system is without a doubt flawed !! Last year the top five teams where from the SW and you ended up with the defending champs Hartland going against RNS in an elimination game on friday at regionals. Both where top five in the province . FLAWED

Actually it was Hartland vs GM but it doesn't matter as the same point applies. The 8 team format makes much more sense!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CharlotteCountyBall

PostSubject: Re: Been pretty quiet for AA Girls information   Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:09 pm

pastprimetime wrote:
This talk of throwing games at any level is just way to disturbing, but to think a coach at the high school level would want to teach his players to intentionally throw a competition is just down right wrong. These are developing players who for the most part will wwALK AWAY FROM from there competitive playing days with the memory of throwing a competition. If the best we can do is teach them how to cheat, then we shpuld not be in the game.
I have lost to many championship teams and have taken pride in having competed hard, not sure I could keep my head high with intentiuonally throwing a game, not sure my players could leave me respecting in how I chose to prepare them for their future life by ducking and hiding from those who show strength.
When did high school atheltics become about how far a coach can go, I fail to see how a teenager walks away fron the experience with a positive attitude about themselves. Players and coaches alike have been banned from sport for throwing games and should here as well.
Shame on nayone who considers it a strong coaching move to throw a competition to ease your road and unfortuneately other coaches get covered with your manure spreading

McAdam did this one year to get to the AC, they threw a game to avoid Grand Manan in a play off tournament.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
20yearcoach

PostSubject: Re: Been pretty quiet for AA Girls information   Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:24 pm

hoopsdawg wrote:
Will beat Grand Manan in final...RNS will fold down the stretch...Teams will take Anna away n run their bigs and get them out of the zone they been playing since ..ummmm Forever...Tobique by 30

Have you seen RNS play (with or without Simonds) they are pretty well rounded - they are not folding down the stretch!! GM is good but losing by 30 points to RNS in a game they did not even have to win to secure #1 in south - questionable. TV is in a league of their own for sure but you need to play the game to win the game. ANything can happen in play-offs - but if coaches throw games it will be disappointing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celtic

PostSubject: Re: Been pretty quiet for AA Girls information   Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:34 pm

20yearcoach wrote:
hoopsdawg wrote:

Have you seen RNS play (with or without Simonds) they are pretty well rounded - they are not folding down the stretch!! GM is good but losing by 30 points to RNS in a game they did not even have to win to secure #1 in south - questionable. TV is in a league of their own for sure but you need to play the game to win the game. ANything can happen in play-offs - but if coaches throw games it will be disappointing

I'm a bit confused 20yr...what do you mean a game they did not even have to win?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
20yearcoach

PostSubject: Re: Been pretty quiet for AA Girls information   Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:47 pm

If both teams are tied at the end of the regular season the 2nd tie breaker is - points (goals) against between the two teams - so GMCS only had to keep it close or score more points. Presently if both win to close out the year then the teams will be tied then points against between the two teams would be:
Goals against for RNS - 112 1st place
Goals against for GMCS - 122 2nd place
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: Been pretty quiet for AA Girls information   Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:55 pm

I agree that anything can happen in a one game playoff.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Been pretty quiet for AA Girls information   Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:58 pm

Its interesting that the NBIAA has a tie-break rule, when I assume each sports governing body has one.

ie, The NBIAA rule would be used in place of the FIBA tie break.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celtic

PostSubject: Re: Been pretty quiet for AA Girls information   Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:03 pm

I gotcha now. It is very interesting this year as the race seems to be on to see who can "get the ather spot at Harbour" I have to agree that unless something drastic happens, TV will be there. It just seems too bad that the 2 other best teams most likely will not even have to play each other in playoffs to earn the other spot. That 30 pt win was HUGE in enabling RNS to go all the way and just as HUGE in putting a couple 6' twin towers in the road for Veysey's gals!! I've seen him pull some tricks out before but this will be a tough one!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
20yearcoach

PostSubject: Re: Been pretty quiet for AA Girls information   Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:04 pm

Yep NBIAA rule. Even by FIBA rules RNS is ahead 61 to 56
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Been pretty quiet for AA Girls information   Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:13 pm

20yearcoach wrote:
Yep NBIAA rule. Even by FIBA rules RNS is ahead 61 to 56

Actually (I belive) FIBA goal average is calculated by dividing the total points for by total points against. Which in the case if these teams would be the same in their two games. For a ratio of 1.0. Which would then mean they would have to go to the ratio for all their conference games. (ie. for divded by against for all league games)

So in acutality the NBIAA rule is a better high school rule because it is rewarding good defense, rather then blowing each other and the other teams in your pool out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: Been pretty quiet for AA Girls information   Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:19 pm

celtic, Veysey is a great coach, but he doesnt have the athletes to compete with the big athletic girls tobique has. I am sure GM will give them some different looks they are not used to but I believe Tobique is just too athletic for GM

We will see soon though, gonna be a good playoff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celtic

PostSubject: Re: Been pretty quiet for AA Girls information   Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:33 pm

baller24 wrote:
celtic, Veysey is a great coach, but he doesnt have the athletes to compete with the big athletic girls tobique has. I am sure GM will give them some different looks they are not used to but I believe Tobique is just too athletic for GM

We will see soon though, gonna be a good playoff.

I gree totally with you....the same would be said about RNS if they were #2. TV will most likely plow through everyone. There is only 1 way to play them but most teams don't have the bench to afford the fouls.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Been pretty quiet for AA Girls information   Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:02 pm

celtic wrote:
There is only 1 way to play them but most teams don't have the bench to afford the fouls.

I'm going to disagree with that statement. The teams who have beat Tobique this year have not physically intimidated them or been foul happy. Teams that have beaten them have been able to make shots, neutralize their transition game, and have an equal or better depth of talent. Generally people say that bigger schools out athlete smaller schools, I wouldn't say that is the case for the schools that beat TV rather they had more skilled players.

These are all things that individual players and their teammates at any level could do if they had spent the off season and in season developing. No one is making kids better shooters then others they are doing it themselves. No one is making anyone better the time they put in on their own in conjunction with quality coaching does that.

At this point though it does look like tactics (physical play, force them to make free throws, junk defenses, defensive stunts, etc.) may be the only way some fo these AA teams can beat them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: Been pretty quiet for AA Girls information   Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:11 pm

I might be wrong here, but I think the only games Tobique has lost has been to Harison Trimble and FHS. 2 huge schools compared to a single A school.

These bigger schools did in fact out athlete Tobique. The did not have to play them physical. Any of the AA teams in the province can not match up athletically with Tobique so you are correct in saying that teams will have to do some different things against them to have a chance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Been pretty quiet for AA Girls information   Today at 8:51 pm

Back to top Go down

Been pretty quiet for AA Girls information
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next