HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

JV Basketball

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CoachDJR

PostSubject: JV Basketball   Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:17 pm

This isn't specifically about conferences or teams as much as it is about the idea of JV basketball province wide.

How do you fix junior basketball province wide? (Before you say its not broken lets look at some the issues I bring up)

Right now you've lost junior level leagues in many other sports at the AA level.

AA JV girls is barely hanging on with some large disparities from top to bottom. The only schools who can seem to field AA JV teams in basketball consistently appear to be a couple of select western schools, most of the southern conference, and a couple of schools on and off in north the east?

Province wide:

-In theory you could have kids in their 2nd year of high school (10th grade) playing against 6/7th graders? You could (on paper) have 16-17 year olds playing against 11 year olds? You can have provincial team players up against a 7th grader who decided to come to tryouts?

- Initially JV was implemented to avoid having multiple competitive teams at schools and have a 2nd team be primary a developmental or feeder program? Now every year: we seem teams and schools wanting it to resemble the competitive level of senior and be organized as such, we see schools and teams suggesting rule changes to make it more competitive and developmental, and we see schools with upset kids/player/coaches about the games these "competitive-developmental"??? teams haves to play.

- Top coaches/programs want to tweek the playoff format to create a fairer finals, while small schools and weaker teams want to be able to offer JV teams without getting killed?

- Seasons have been shortened in terms of games. And while they bumped the schedules to start a week sooner if schools are waiting to start basketball until soccer ends this will not help.

What rule changes need to be made? What regulations or operating guidelines needs to change? Does JV need to be treated differently then varsity rule wise/philosophy wise/competition wise? Is there actually nothing wrong with JV basketball province wide?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: JV Basketball   Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:49 pm

As I see it, part of the problem is differing philosophies - winning vs development, etc
Maybe the Canada Basketball philosophy would help, if JV is truly a developmental environment -
No zone defences, no zone presses, no ball screens, etc
Maybe an NB rule that you can't press once you are up by 40?
Maybe even a rule that everyone has to play x number of minutes?
Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
EastSide

PostSubject: Re: JV Basketball   Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:07 pm

I don't understand the whole development process..Most kids start before grade 9 and 10, let them play and compete. If they are good enough let them play varsity. most aa schools don't have JV team because of the lack of kids. AAA JV programs work well, but AA JV is difficult. I think every school should offer the possibility of playing JV, but if the interest isn't their it's hard to get a team on the court.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: JV Basketball   Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:44 pm

EastSide wrote:
I don't understand the whole development process..Most kids start before grade 9 and 10, let them play and compete. If they are good enough let them play varsity. most aa schools don't have JV team because of the lack of kids. AAA JV programs work well, but AA JV is difficult. I think every school should offer the possibility of playing JV, but if the interest isn't their it's hard to get a team on the court.

Well the developmental process is part of the issue. Some people look at JV as the final preparation step to varsity while the Long Term Athlete Development model has kids who play jv (11-16+) at various developmental levels with different recommendations for each.

I would hope most kids playing in this province would have played before grades 9-10 (though i know this isn't always the case). That being said what levels they've played at obviously different and again JV is not just grade 9-10 athletes.

If kids are good enough they probably should play varsity, but there are schools that run JV programs as exclusively certain grades and varsity as others. There are also schools in order to make the numbers work must leave better kids down. Again a case of a wide variety of schools viewing it differently.

I wouldn't say most schools don't have JV programs because of a lack of kids. Some of the smallest schools in the province run junior programs (GM, Campobello, etc) I would say there are schools without numbers of committed basketball playing athletes and coaches willing to compete at that level (because of the previously mentioned reasons), while other schools will put kids on rosters and find non basketball players to put on teams just to keep leagues/conferences functioning. I think most schools could run a JV program if they knew it could be a place to develop younger players safely and positively regardless of their current level.

I would agree without interest its tough, but how much interest are schools drumming up and how often is it easier to just have one team or club teams with less restrictions/travel.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
driver59

PostSubject: Re: JV Basketball   Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:31 pm

in some cases its the lack of coaches , some of the smaller schools in the east have the advantage of the MKMBA in the Moncton area and there is pretty good particapation , however there is a cycle as far as the number of players coming out , But i can say at JMA we have had enough players for a jv team for the last few years , its been the lack of coaches here , we lucked out this year with Richard Hoar , having him as a jv coach will ensure we have competitive SR teams in the future .( just my opinion)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: JV Basketball   Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:05 pm

So how do you get more qualified coaches, willing to step up?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
student

PostSubject: Re: JV Basketball   Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:51 am

make sports a priority in the education system. when will the superintendents realize that physical activity compliments acedemic achievement. you build healthy active kids with purpose. build school spirit and interest. create leadership and desire to sucseed. when you make sport a priority you will fill the ranks of athletes and give the coaches the encouragement they need to step forward. think i'm crazy? this comes from a book about sport
Back to top Go down
View user profile
driver59

PostSubject: Re: JV Basketball   Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:09 am

yes that would help student , also it wouldnt hurt to have the NBIAA or even the school themselves to actively recruit coaches for all the sports that each school offers , its a darn shame to have students that want to be involved in sports and cant because an adult cant be found to coach .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chevy

PostSubject: Re: JV Basketball   Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:39 pm

Or why a varsity coach drops back to coach JV to ride the bus.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
obcnamtaf

PostSubject: Re: JV Basketball   Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:49 am

student wrote:
make sports a priority in the education system. when will the superintendents realize that physical activity compliments acedemic achievement. you build healthy active kids with purpose. build school spirit and interest. create leadership and desire to sucseed. when you make sport a priority you will fill the ranks of athletes and give the coaches the encouragement they need to step forward. think i'm crazy? this comes from a book about sport

Don't know if "make sports a priority in schools " is ever possible or even the best thing. The priorities of every high school basketball player , should be faith , family, school, basketball and then everything else.
If educational leaders would even support this concept it would be an improvement. It puts a little responsibility on everybody. Players need to manage time better , putting basketball before friends , texting , tv...etc but behind academics.....
Educational leaders need to understand the value of athletics , physically , socially , emotionally and even, as you pointed out, to academic success. They need to stop throwing up hurdles to school based physical activity and sport , simply because they want to off load liability and responsibility in case something goes wrong. They need to provide incentives for quality leadership (coaches ) as well. The schools are quick to insist on 701 courses , first aid courses , defensive driving courses , travel guidelines paperwork , ....not things that attract people to coaching (though necessary evils in todays coaching world.) Just once I would like to see them organize, and pay for, a Coaching course (level 1 ,2 or 3) for the volunteer coaches in their schools.
Parents need to understand the value and importance of physical activity and sport in the lives of their children. They need to take the bubble wrap off their kids and let coaches coach. Coaches are probably one of the last bastions in our society that can be honest with kids. When they suck , they need to be told they suck , but when they do things right they need to be told that as well. To many of todays institutions ( schools , parenting ) want kids to experience success but never failure. But without failure it is harder to learn , to improve , to develop attitudes and work ethics to be successful. Sport is one of the last places left in our society that can teach these lessons.
Coaches need to understand they are educators first , teaching valuable lessons that kids can't get in the classroom. The pursuit of a 'banner" is a good thing as long as it is a means to teaching more valuable life lessons. It is not "the lesson" but a teaching tool.

Everyone has a role making sport beneficial to the lives of its participants.
Physical health aspects of sport are important too and need to become a priority , but that is for PE classrooms , households , community recreation programs , to educate and provide for folks. It is obviously inherent in high school sport , but there are more important lessons to be taught in high school sport .

sorry for the rant....just scrambling down some thoughts (after reading it over , scramble is certainly the right word ;-)

what'd ya think ??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coachmac

PostSubject: Re: JV Basketball   Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:58 am

obcnamtaf wrote:
student wrote:

Don't know if "make sports a priority in schools " is ever possible or even the best thing. The priorities of every high school basketball player , should be faith , family, school, basketball and then everything else.
If educational leaders would even support this concept it would be an improvement. It puts a little responsibility on everybody. Players need to manage time better , putting basketball before friends , texting , tv...etc but behind academics.....
Educational leaders need to understand the value of athletics , physically , socially , emotionally and even, as you pointed out, to academic success. They need to stop throwing up hurdles to school based physical activity and sport , simply because they want to off load liability and responsibility in case something goes wrong. They need to provide incentives for quality leadership (coaches ) as well. The schools are quick to insist on 701 courses , first aid courses , defensive driving courses , travel guidelines paperwork , ....not things that attract people to coaching (though necessary evils in todays coaching world.) Just once I would like to see them organize, and pay for, a Coaching course (level 1 ,2 or 3) for the volunteer coaches in their schools.
Parents need to understand the value and importance of physical activity and sport in the lives of their children. They need to take the bubble wrap off their kids and let coaches coach. Coaches are probably one of the last bastions in our society that can be honest with kids. When they suck , they need to be told they suck , but when they do things right they need to be told that as well. To many of todays institutions ( schools , parenting ) want kids to experience success but never failure. But without failure it is harder to learn , to improve , to develop attitudes and work ethics to be successful. Sport is one of the last places left in our society that can teach these lessons.
Coaches need to understand they are educators first , teaching valuable lessons that kids can't get in the classroom. The pursuit of a 'banner" is a good thing as long as it is a means to teaching more valuable life lessons. It is not "the lesson" but a teaching tool.

Everyone has a role making sport beneficial to the lives of its participants.
Physical health aspects of sport are important too and need to become a priority , but that is for PE classrooms , households , community recreation programs , to educate and provide for folks. It is obviously inherent in high school sport , but there are more important lessons to be taught in high school sport .

sorry for the rant....just scrambling down some thoughts (after reading it over , scramble is certainly the right word ;-)

what'd ya think ??

I liked the rant. Made some great points.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.homesmoncton.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: JV Basketball   Today at 1:15 pm

Back to top Go down

JV Basketball
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1