HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Girls Churchill Tournament - Jan 28-29

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
D-It-Up

PostSubject: Girls Churchill Tournament - Jan 28-29   Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:03 am

Well I think a lot of the questions around who is the top 4A team in the province - at least mid season - will be answered at this tournament.

Here is the first round draw:

Raymond (7) vs O'Leary (1)

Chuchill (5) vs Ainley (HM)

Western (3) vs Spruce Grove (6)

Ross Shep vs Centennial (2)

Should be a good tournament!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SlowPoke

PostSubject: Re: Girls Churchill Tournament - Jan 28-29   Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:56 pm

This line up presents some interesting match-ups. Not sure why Cent (2) get an unranked to begin with and O'Leary (1) has to take on (7) Raymond. O'Leary should have the lowest ranked team in Ross Shep and and Cent should have Ainley (HM). Western (3) should take on Raymond (7) and Churchill (5) gets Spruce Grove (6). Spruce Grove (6) gets the worst of it having to take on Western (3) in the first round. Regardless, O'Leary and Centennial move on and it looks like Churchill has stacked the deck to ensure they make it to the second round. Spruce Grove may have to take on a real tough opponent in Western in the first round however that may be one of the best games of the tournament. I'm sure Western wants another crack at Centennial. O'Leary has the easiest ride but I'm sure it won't be a walk. Looks like a great tournament with 6 of the top 10 teams in it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballfan

PostSubject: Re: Girls Churchill Tournament - Jan 28-29   Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:41 pm

Yes, this could have a number of great games.

I agree that Churchill carefully avioded playing the Calgary teams in the early rounds, but it is their tournament.

I think that the final should feature Centennial and OLeary, with OLeary having an easier path to the final. Centennial will be in tough with either Spruce Grove or Western. If Spruce Grove is heathly (does anyone know) then teams better beware. Same with Western, if they have their point guard back (again does anyone know if Hannah G is playing yet) then they could easily be in the final.

Whoever gets to the final, it should be a great game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eye/witness

PostSubject: Churchill Tourney   Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:28 pm

The draw for the tourney is set up carefully with a couple great matchups bounce .....it looks like the draw has been intentionally set with SOUTH TEAMS playing NORTH teams in the first round which makes absolute sense as you want to play as many teams from different areas of the province to get a true picture of rankings etc afro .... I believe that Raymond is the bottom South team in this tourney Basketball .....just my thoughts and Ross Shep should try to get out of the tourney and trade with a ranked team to set a Provincial type of tourney atmoshere..... Twisted Evil Western match up with Spruce Grove is a good one -----as you will see who the Panthers have picked up with transfers this year as well as Western (Chestermere).....haven't heard much from Rareair this year........Chuchill will surprise teams and will start to make a move after this tourney.....should be a great weekend of basketball etc............. Basketball
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lycurgus1011

PostSubject: Re: Girls Churchill Tournament - Jan 28-29   Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:22 pm

Does anyone have the draw with game start times?
Thanks, Gus
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JD

PostSubject: Re: Girls Churchill Tournament - Jan 28-29   Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:58 pm

Spruce Grove is healthy.. they got their provincial team post back along with their U15 prov team member (wing) back from wrist injury.
That tournament looks great.. how about an invite for a small 3A school in St. Albert Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eye/witness

PostSubject: churchill tourney   Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:17 am

Yes JD Basketball you can take the place of SHEP Twisted Evil or Ainlay bounce .....then it would be an awesome tourney.... afro as it stands right now one of the best !!!!!!....lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
runninred

PostSubject: Re: Girls Churchill Tournament - Jan 28-29   Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:40 pm

i'm just wondering how come st albert doesn't play up to 4a like raymond and cardston do? i mean over the last few years they've been proving they have the talent level
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JD

PostSubject: Re: Girls Churchill Tournament - Jan 28-29   Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:09 pm

Good question bounce Here is my theory.. while we have had been good enough to be a top 10 4a school the last couple of years and should be the next couple to come (crossed fingers on that one), it is a lot harder to make 4a provincials in edmonton than it is for raymond/cardston in the south- even if edmonton gets 5 berths. We would consistently have to be as good as HA, JP, SG, Ross Shep, Scona in public and Oleary, BF, ABJ in Metro. Those are the consistent teams - throw in a PK or St. FX who have had or presently have the potential to compete and its a log jam.

Until we are solid year after year and have the tradition of a Raymond / Cardston it is a tough sell - especially when we end up going against tough teams in 3A anyway. We have a chance to win the 3a level - we do not (at this point) have that opportunity at the 4a level... We've shown that we can compete decently at that level but we're still very cyclical....plus not sure how much longer I'm going to be coaching anyway so the "new blood" can make those tough decisions at that point..

I'd actually be interested to see arguments for or against moving up out of curiousity... we already play in the premier division (all 4a schools for girls), attend pretty tough tournaments, so the argument that our players would be exposed to a higher level of play on a consistent basis is moot... I could certainly be out coached, but that is always a concern, even down to the community level for me Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iggy

PostSubject: Re: Girls Churchill Tournament - Jan 28-29   Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:40 am

Would someone please post the draw with game start times?

Thanks, Rick
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andone

PostSubject: Re: Girls Churchill Tournament - Jan 28-29   Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:29 pm

After much asking around here is the schedule for the Rose.

Friday:

Churchill vs Ainlay at 2 pm
Raymond vs O'Leary at 6 pm
Winners Sat 11:30 am Losers Sat 8 am

Western vs Spruce Grove at 4 pm
Ross Shep vs Centennial at 8 pm
Winners Sat 1:15 pm Losers Sat 9:45 am

Now for predictions?

2nd round:
Churchill plays O'Leary
Western plays Centennial

Final: Churchill plays Centennial
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celtics

PostSubject: Re: Girls Churchill Tournament - Jan 28-29   Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:03 pm

Andone how do you come to the prediction that #5 Churchill will upset #1 O'leary in the secound round? Have you seen O'Leary play this year because that is a pretty bold prediction?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andone

PostSubject: Re: Girls Churchill Tournament - Jan 28-29   Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:23 pm

I suppose that's why they call them predictions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andone

PostSubject: Re: Girls Churchill Tournament - Jan 28-29   Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:04 pm

Update for the Rose tournament:

Churchill over Ainlay
Raymond over O'Leary in ot
Churchill vs Raymond at 11:30 am tomorrow

Western over Spruce Grove
Centennial vs Ross Shep in progress
Western plays the winner at 1:15 pm tomorrow

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andone

PostSubject: Re: Girls Churchill Tournament - Jan 28-29   Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:53 pm

More updates from the Rose:

O'Leary over Ainlay by 4 in ot
Ross Shep over Spruce Grove by 2
Churchill over Raymond by a lot
Western over Centennial handily

Spruce Grove is playing Ainlay for 7th
O'Leary vs Ross Shep for Consolation
Raymond vs Centennial for 3rd
Churchill vs Western for the final

Very interesting weekend of Girls basketball
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bambamballer

PostSubject: Re: Girls Churchill Tournament - Jan 28-29   Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:13 pm

I guess Andone's prediction that O'Leary would be up-set was a pretty good one, all be it the up-set came sooner than anticipated/predicted. Very interesting weekend of ball. I guess maybe Calgary is a bit tougher than folks in Edmonton and down south thought. Next weekends Centennial Tourney could be an interesting one too. Will Centennial rebound after a tough loss to Western? How will Scarlett match-up against St. Albert? That one could be a track meet. Centennial is big inside but can their guards deal with the pressure from St. Albert ... or Scarlett for that matter?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SlowPoke

PostSubject: Re: Girls Churchill Tournament - Jan 28-29   Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:56 am

Wow. This tournamnet sure sounded exiting. Overtime, upsets and probibly some of the best games of the season so far. All I need to know now is, who won the tournament?

I wasn"t sold on Churchill being #5i n the province before but my mind could be changed depending on how they do against Western.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JD

PostSubject: Re: Girls Churchill Tournament - Jan 28-29   Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:11 pm

I also want to hear how Raymond beat Oleary - how did the handle Adut?
How did Shep beat Spruce Grove? Injuries? Ross Shep's youth stepping up (they have talent but are young!)
Western beating Centennial sounds OK but a blow-out?
This does sound like it was a great tourney - love to know details.. sets things up for a great second half with the rankings being scrambled up now...

On another note, we had the St. Albert Optimist this past weekend as well and although we had no where near the same field as in Calgary, notable games on the girls side for 4a/3a were: St.Albert beating Paul Kane by 14 in the finals (our shooting and pressure in the first half saved us as we were up 20 and hung on to win with PK's size hurting us huge in the 3rd quarter + foul trouble to key players)
ABJ beat St. FX for 3rd by about 15+

I'm looking forward (i think) to travelling to calgary this weekend and playing some solid Calgary teams at the Centennial tournament. Then we open up the Spruce Grove tournament with a game against Western.. yayyyy Very Happy

Lets get some of the game details going!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eye/witness

PostSubject: Churchill Results    Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:58 pm

Sounds like a great weekend of B ball Basketball , perhaps re shuffle the deck for another week.Maybe the most surprising team was Spruce Grove 2 losses in a row . one to the eventual winne ,howver a loss to Shep ....Maybe Spruce Grove needed to get out of town before the second dump of snow came .... not a fun driving weekend we heard in Calgary .If the rankings were re-done today would Calgary now get the # 5 seed for provincials Very Happy as Edmonton kinda went home with tail betweeb legs type of thing .....any thoughts....it is a long way to go and some great tourneys coming up ... should be interesting to say the least ..Was the guard for Western back yet the little fire plug who goes ninety miles an hour who has been hurt ... imagine them when she comes back ... how did the Chestermere transfer Mad do for Western last night as well .... Evil or Very Mad afro
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lycurgus1011

PostSubject: Re: Girls Churchill Tournament - Jan 28-29   Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:43 pm

The O'Leary vs. Raymond game story wasn't really about handling Adut. She had a solid performance with 29 pts. The real story was how our girls failed to adapt and cover #6 who scored 39 pts. She was on fire! They're also a very physical team and we haven't seen much of that so far this year.
In the last few minutes of the 4th the game see-sawed and end up tied at 0:00 In OT both Adut and Meg fouled out, leaving us in a bad spot. Without our top post and one of our best guards on the floor, Raymond pulled ahead and took the win 88-83.

There was some unexpected results.
For Raymond, #6 only scored 10 in their second game against Churchill. I'd have liked to have seen what they did to shut her down. She was back in fine form playing for 3rd vs Centennial but they came up short.

I was quite surprized to see SG lost to RS. We seen a bit of SG's first game and they looked good, despite the loss. I thought they'd take it to RS and go on to the consolation final. Who'd have thought SG vs HA playing for 7th? Certainly no one on this side of Red Deer! :-)
We played RS for the consolation and they maybe had nothing left after beating SG as we took them by 46.

Overall, the Rose was good for our girls as they havent been that pushed hard since the REB final. Going into this tourment they were 14-0 on the season. Coming out they're 16-1 but had two games go into overtime (vs Raymond & vs. HA). I'd say that now they have a sense of what it'll take to be successful in two weeks at the Panther and in mid March in provincials.

-Gus
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D-It-Up

PostSubject: Re: Girls Churchill Tournament - Jan 28-29   Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:01 pm

These are my thoughts on some of the games that I saw.

I think that the results are not necessarily indicative of where teams are at. There were some very close, hard fought games that took a lot out of some teams and they came out flat in their next outing - example SG vs. Shep and Raymond vs Churchill. Also, O'Leary, came out flat after the Christmas break in their first two games. Even though they did not have a great tournament, they are still arguably one of the best bets to win provincials.

Churchill certainly proved that they are worthy of serious consideration. They played exceptional in the final against Western, with many players contributing. Izzy, cadette team player for Western, was amazing in the final, scoring 37 points. Hannah, Western's injured point guard, has not played yet. The game went into overtime and was a nail biter to the end with Western winning 75-71.

As you can see by a tournament such as the caliber of this one, the initial match ups can make a big difference in final outcomes. A tough first game and you are out of the mix. There are a lot of good tournaments coming up with good cross over for north and south teams. They will have a significant impact on where the seedings will go for provincials.

It will be fun to watch and read about. Keep the posts up!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andone

PostSubject: Re: Girls Churchill Tournament - Jan 28-29   Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:00 pm

A win is a win and a loss is loss and that's why they keep score.
On any given day any team can have an excuse for not winning.
Let's give credit where credit is due.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
voice of reason

PostSubject: Re: Girls Churchill Tournament - Jan 28-29   Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:38 am

I agree with Andone let's not make any excuses to why teams performed well or poorly. The tournament had a lot of great games and showed if you don't come prepared to play every game there are enough good teams this year to make you pay. To win at provincials you have to put together multiple strong games. I know it still early in the season but based on this weekend I would have to think Western, Centennial, and Churchill would be the favourites. Spruce Grove showed potential and probably should also be considered however outside of this it did not appear teams had the depth or guard play to be serious contenders.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: Girls Churchill Tournament - Jan 28-29   Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:26 am

SACHS defeats the number 2 4A team in Alberta, will any 3A school even stay within 20 of the Hawks this year. And forget about next year with almost every player returning. The run may end at 3 straight provincial titles after next season. Has any school won 3 straight provincial titles? Amazing work with this program.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Girls Churchill Tournament - Jan 28-29   Today at 5:28 am

Back to top Go down

Girls Churchill Tournament - Jan 28-29
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1