HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Emerald Senior Boys Tourney Jan 20 - 22

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Re: Emerald Senior Boys Tourney Jan 20 - 22   Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:04 am

hoop4life wrote:
Kelowna will have their hands full with Fox or Tamanawis tomorrow night.

Or vice versa.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
foxball21

PostSubject: Re: Emerald Senior Boys Tourney Jan 20 - 22   Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:28 pm

i predict kelowna over fox by 10 tomorrow. Fox won't have an answer for braxton
Back to top Go down
View user profile
And 1

PostSubject: Re: Emerald Senior Boys Tourney Jan 20 - 22   Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:22 pm

foxball21 wrote:
i predict kelowna over fox by 10 tomorrow. Fox won't have an answer for braxton

Fox has a grade 11 6ft 6 Ryan Slater that comes with alot of game as well. They also have alot of guys that can rotate in to give Braxton trouble. Fox probably wont have Macdonald again tonight as well.

I was surprised that Pitt played the whole game behind Braxton i assume that coach Chambers will have a few other ideas

After saying all that i would have to agree with you that kelowna by 10 but the Best of Fox has not come to the table yet. who knows maybe tonight ??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoop4life

PostSubject: Re: Emerald Senior Boys Tourney Jan 20 - 22   Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:43 pm

I say fox by 10 tonight
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mikeyb

PostSubject: Re: Emerald Senior Boys Tourney Jan 20 - 22   Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:56 pm

Without MacDonald in the lineup, I think Hind and Grade 11 PG Nesterenko might struggle with the trapping 2/3 zone of Kelowna. I saw how it swallowed up Soloman from VC and Degal and Clair from Burnaby South.

If Chambers can figure out a way to get past it, I say Fox can give them a game. It also could be interesting to see if Fox pulls out their special high 1/3/1 trap zone. They have not used it as much without MacDonald in the lineup.

Bunce might have his hands full with lanky Ryan Sclater and tough as nails Matt Trimble.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trey

PostSubject: Re: Emerald Senior Boys Tourney Jan 20 - 22   Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:31 am

Any updates from the Emerald?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trey

PostSubject: Re: Emerald Senior Boys Tourney Jan 20 - 22   Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:42 am

Just got an update from VC.
VC beat Tupper by 3 in OT. 67-64?
Fox beat Kelowna 81-80.
Both were great games apparently.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
And 1

PostSubject: Re: Emerald Senior Boys Tourney Jan 20 - 22   Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:36 am

Trey wrote:
Just got an update from VC.
VC beat Tupper by 3 in OT. 67-64?
Fox beat Kelowna 81-80.
Both were great games apparently.

Fox played Macdonald for the first time in weeks as he came off the bench in the 2nd quarter. Hines was on fire knocking down 3 ball after 3 ball. Fox mixed there defences up and didnt let Kelowna get in a groove. First team i have seen this year not back down from the big guy at Kelowna .

Tupper played well and kept coming from behind. College was in foul trouble . smythe couldve won it on the foul line but missed similar to the South game at the Beagle.

College vs Fox will be another good game.

Fox by 6
Back to top Go down
View user profile
theboss

PostSubject: Re: Emerald Senior Boys Tourney Jan 20 - 22   Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:24 pm

Recap of the late game last night:

Fox led the whole game, i think they were up by 10-15 and kelowna came back to tie it and fox iced it from the line at the end. Gutsy effort guarding Braxton without Ryan Sclater for most of the game due to foul trouble. Mitch Goodwin got off to a good start, but bret macdonald played great d in the second half.

Leading Scorers:

Scott Hind- 39
Braxton Bunce- 19
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trey

PostSubject: Re: Emerald Senior Boys Tourney Jan 20 - 22   Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:04 am

Tupper over Kelowna 74-73
VC over Fox 73-58
Back to top Go down
View user profile
theboss

PostSubject: Re: Emerald Senior Boys Tourney Jan 20 - 22   Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:13 am

Can anyone post the award winners?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bball_6319

PostSubject: Re: Emerald Senior Boys Tourney Jan 20 - 22   Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:56 am

Van College played a great game. They owned the second half. Have to say I was pretty disgusted by the VC football team led by their quarterback Jeffrey Tichelman. I don't have a problem with anything that a fan does (within reason) during a game, but to boo the award winners from Fox and non-VC teams was pretty low. I would think that good Catholic boys would have been taught and raised better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mikeyb

PostSubject: Re: Emerald Senior Boys Tourney Jan 20 - 22   Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:58 am

Tournament MVP: Vincent Tolentino - VC

1st Team All Stars:

Mitch Goodwin - Kelowna
Scott Hind - Terry Fox
Warren Liang - Tupper
Malcolm Williams - Pitt
Reiner Theil - VC

2nd Team All Stars:

Trevor Severinski - Pitt
Daniel Kim - Tupper
Ryan Sclater - Terry Fox
Braxton Bunce - Kelowna
Will Ondrik - WRCA

All in all, Van College deserved to win the game. They were able to score (at will at times) and Theil and Tolentino dominated for most of the game.

Unfortunately, a great game was sort of overshadowed (at least in the stands) by a very rowdy group of Van College students. Cheering and chanting is one thing but actually chanting and yelling directed towards specific players is completely bush league. Hearing the tiny Van College fans calling every one of Fox's players pinners was laughable.

Also when the Fox players were getting their tournament awards, they actually had the balls to boo the players ?? How low can you get ? Booze involved perhaps?

All in all, College winning the tournament is good for them but in the long run, means squat. If I am not mistaken, doesn't the independent team have to qualify through the mainland tournament ?? They will have to play such teams as Burnaby South ? RC Palmer ? Tupper ? Kits ?

With the lack of depth Van College has, they may have trouble getting out of the mainland.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
And 1

PostSubject: Re: Emerald Senior Boys Tourney Jan 20 - 22   Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:24 am

mikeyb wrote:
Tournament MVP: Vincent Tolentino - VC

1st Team All Stars:

Mitch Goodwin - Kelowna
Scott Hind - Terry Fox
Warren Liang - Tupper
Malcolm Williams - Pitt
Reiner Theil - VC

2nd Team All Stars:

Trevor Severinski - Pitt
Daniel Kim - Tupper
Ryan Sclater - Terry Fox
Braxton Bunce - Kelowna
Will Ondrik - WRCA

Congrats to Van College on a strong effort but i think they may have been played by Fox. Very good game at half tied at 35. Second half Fox pulled way back and gave the bench most of the playtime. I think Fox has a different game in mind and that game comes in March

Very dissapointed in the College supporters. Never seen taunting and abuse thrown at a visiting team like what happened tonight. Where were the superiors within the school. Just never seen it like what i saw tonight.

All in all, Van College deserved to win the game. They were able to score (at will at times) and Theil and Tolentino dominated for most of the game.

Unfortunately, a great game was sort of overshadowed (at least in the stands) by a very rowdy group of Van College students. Cheering and chanting is one thing but actually chanting and yelling directed towards specific players is completely bush league. Hearing the tiny Van College fans calling every one of Fox's players pinners was laughable.

Also when the Fox players were getting their tournament awards, they actually had the balls to boo the players ?? How low can you get ? Booze involved perhaps?

All in all, College winning the tournament is good for them but in the long run, means squat. If I am not mistaken, doesn't the independent team have to qualify through the mainland tournament ?? They will have to play such teams as Burnaby South ? RC Palmer ? Tupper ? Kits ?

With the lack of depth Van College has, they may have trouble getting out of the mainland.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigman101

PostSubject: Re: Emerald Senior Boys Tourney Jan 20 - 22   Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:30 am

I throughly enjoyed my time at the emerald tournament, there was some classic games out there like fox vs kelowna, exciting game, exciting finish. the final started off like a classic, fans on both sides. with Brett McDonald's second game back from injury, he added a spark to the team, which further pumped up the fighting Irish. with a tie game at half, it was looking forward to being even better than the last. although fox couldn't until the end of the game, they put up a solid fight. there bench had some great minutes at the end, while playing against VC's starters, they brought it back to 15. but thats all she wrote.

the game was great, the fans were very into it on both sides. although van college's fans were very unoriginal with basically saying the same thing every time, to every player. but I'm fine with that. the part i was very disgusted with was during the awards ceremony. as fox's Matt Trimble was receiving his award for best defensive player, the fighting Irish fans continued to boo and yell, even though the game was over? I'm sorry in my mind that was one of the worst display of sportsmanship i have seen in a while. during the game the players are fare game, to a certain extent, but after the game? while excepting his award?? that crosses a line with me, and would expect more from a great private school like Vancouver college.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopster

PostSubject: Re: Emerald Senior Boys Tourney Jan 20 - 22   Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:46 pm

[quote="bigman101"]I throughly enjoyed my time at the emerald tournament, there was some classic games out there like fox vs kelowna, exciting game, exciting finish. the final started off like a classic, fans on both sides. with Brett McDonald's second game back from injury, he added a spark to the team, which further pumped up the fighting Irish. with a tie game at half, it was looking forward to being even better than the last. although fox couldn't until the end of the game, they put up a solid fight. there bench had some great minutes at the end, while playing against VC's starters, they brought it back to 15. but thats all she wrote.

McDonald played very well against Kelowna, he is likely not in game shape yet and looked a bit tired in the finals, but played very well for the most part.

In the semis, Kelowna played without their top scorer Truss, so McDonald shadowed Goodwin in the 4th quarter to wear him down. Don't know if Fox can pull a win over KSS when they are healthy though.

What was Hind's final 3 fg %? I figure he shot 11/14 against Kelowna? What a show!
The ref's let a lot of clutching and movement go on the picks. Which sometimes helped Hind get open, otherwise nice ball movement by Fox and poor defending by KSS.

VC and Fox should move up in the rankings. I think Fox would take VC in a neutral gym. Fox also had 3 tough games, VC had an easier draw though Tupper made it interesting in the semis. As far as the jeering against Fox and other players; it is called Karma and it will bite VC in the backside.

Tupper also had a huge tournament. Lost to VC in OT and beat KSS by 1. I don't know how far they will move, but they should move up the rankings. This was the team to watch at the Emerald' fast and moved the ball very well. This was the team that lost to South by 1 at the Legal Beagle. Well done Tupper!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shoota

PostSubject: Re: Emerald Senior Boys Tourney Jan 20 - 22   Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:53 pm

bigman101 wrote:
I throughly enjoyed my time at the emerald tournament, there was some classic games out there like fox vs kelowna, exciting game, exciting finish. the final started off like a classic, fans on both sides. with Brett McDonald's second game back from injury, he added a spark to the team, which further pumped up the fighting Irish. with a tie game at half, it was looking forward to being even better than the last. although fox couldn't until the end of the game, they put up a solid fight. there bench had some great minutes at the end, while playing against VC's starters, they brought it back to 15. but thats all she wrote.

the game was great, the fans were very into it on both sides. although van college's fans were very unoriginal with basically saying the same thing every time, to every player. but I'm fine with that. the part i was very disgusted with was during the awards ceremony. as fox's Matt Trimble was receiving his award for best defensive player, the fighting Irish fans continued to boo and yell, even though the game was over? I'm sorry in my mind that was one of the worst display of sportsmanship i have seen in a while. during the game the players are fare game, to a certain extent, but after the game? while excepting his award?? that crosses a line with me, and would expect more from a great private school like Vancouver college.

Some of the posts are absolutely right. Home court advantage is just that - you need to play the game and the sixth man (the crowd). HOWEVER, when the game is over and the awards ceremony starts, all fans should cheer for recipients or at the very least be quiet if it's not your player. Hopefully, VC's administration will have a talk with their students about sportsmanship to ensure this doesn't happen again.

If the booing and dissing continued player after player during the ceremonies (I wasn't there), then I take exception to the VC coaches and administrators who were there and did not stop the behavior. I've seen public school's coaches and administrators stop "disrespectful" behavior. VC coaches need to enroll in proper conduct schooling!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
highschoolref

PostSubject: Re: Emerald Senior Boys Tourney Jan 20 - 22   Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:51 am

Money might recruit the players they want but it can't buy "class".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller1000

PostSubject: Re: Emerald Senior Boys Tourney Jan 20 - 22   Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:47 am

highschoolref wrote:
Money might recruit the players they want but it can't buy "class".

Is it "class" to make unfounded allegations?

Like you, I too was taken aback when a few idiots in the VC cheering section, booed the first Fox player when his award was announced. It was definitely a dumb move by a few overzealous students.

To be fair, a coach did go over and the booing stopped. There was applause and cheering for all the award winners.

I don't think any school, including VC, would condone that behaviour. To suggest otherwise is wrong.

Despite the best efforts of parents and teachers, kids still do stupid things. I am sure, that like everyone else here, VC is not happy with them.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ButteryFlow

PostSubject: Re: Emerald Senior Boys Tourney Jan 20 - 22   Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:25 pm

They got shot down cause they're overzealous?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Emerald Senior Boys Tourney Jan 20 - 22   Today at 3:17 am

Back to top Go down

Emerald Senior Boys Tourney Jan 20 - 22
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2