HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Longer Regular Season

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
20yearcoach

PostSubject: Longer Regular Season   Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:34 pm

With Christmas and Exams does anyone feel that the schedule has to be extended? Maybe join the sectionals and finals - play the finals on the Sunday of sectionals - and push back regionals a week. This would give schools time to play their regular season games - especially now when parents/principals/supers are so quick to cancel games b/c of weather - Having to squeeze games in at the end is tough especially while trying to ensure that all teams get a fair shake at gym times.
thoughts????

Last edited by 20yearcoach on Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardfouls

PostSubject: Re: Longer Regular Season   Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:51 pm

End the first semester at XMas. Write 1st semester exams before XMas break like we use to. If they need to balance the semester then start school mid-august and end sooner in June.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hardfouls.com
Fundy 89

PostSubject: Re: Longer Regular Season   Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:20 pm

Somethings gotta give.

As of today, Fundy needs to go to GM, RNS and McAdam the week after exams to make up lost games.

If they beat GM by 4 points, I believe they sneak into the playoffs. If so, 4 games in 5 days, with the last probably against DP or Sugarloaf. Shocked

No matter the results, it'll be a long week.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Longer Regular Season   Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:17 pm

So basically after exams you've got 10 days (if you count exam friday night) before all your league commitments are supposed to be done. Then 4 days to get ready for regionals if you qualify.

That being said you can probably squeeze in a couple more days if it is desperate to solve a playoff situation, which is more and more common.

I'm not sure there is a good solution. Longer season takes you into and past March break which is another break. You can't start earlier, with schools already needing to be 2+ weeks behind others waiting for the end of soccer season.

There was an interesting suggestion about changing the school year as a whole, I'm not sure what that would involve.

Not to be that guy but if you had a playoff format where everyone made a playoffs (have 2,3,4 tiers whatever you like), and seeding was done based on your overall record then completing all these games wouldn't be as big a deal. (Maine?) Its having a lot of games (30-40) and most teams playing the ones they want early and the ones they have too late that causes problems. If everyone could pick who they played all year long it would be less of an issue. Maybe blowouts would be too.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coachmac

PostSubject: Re: Longer Regular Season   Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:47 pm

20yearcoach wrote:
With Christmas and Exams does anyone feel that the schedule has to be extended? Maybe join the sectionals and finals - play the finals on the Sunday of sectionals - and push back regionals a week. This would give schools time to play their regular season games - especially now when parents/principals/supers are so quick to cancel games b/c of weather - Having to squeeze games in at the end is tough especially while trying to ensure that all teams get a fair shake at gym times.
thoughts????

Or maybe people could just plan better. We will play 32 games and won't be having to cram a bunch of games into the last week. Season is plenty long.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.homesmoncton.com
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Longer Regular Season   Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:17 pm

Coachmac wrote:

Or maybe people could just plan better. We will play 32 games and won't be having to cram a bunch of games into the last week. Season is plenty long.

I don't often disagree with Coach's Mac's point of view but I will here. I think good planning can prevent a lot of these hassles, particularly if the concerned parties communicate well. That being said I think that is an issue that is easier for some schools to overcome then others.

-If you've got a school that has to play league games on weekends and you get a couple of cancellations that is bear.

-If you are at a school with one gym and 2-3 teams, re-scheduling is much different then if you are at a school with 7-8 teams and one gym.

-You also have schools that in order to play the game have to co-ordinate schools schedules, teams schedules, coaches work schedules, parent/district transportation schedules, and check with officials to make sure it is ok to have a game that night. At some schools not all these issues come into play in scheduling depending on resources, availability etc.

That being said I find the biggest problem in scheduling (other then the added layers of red tape I've seen over the last few years) is still that some schools/teams are very well organized and getting things done is priority and another school/team they need to work with it is not.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coachmac

PostSubject: Re: Longer Regular Season   Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:35 pm

CoachDJR wrote:
Coachmac wrote:

I don't often disagree with Coach's Mac's point of view but I will here. I think good planning can prevent a lot of these hassles, particularly if the concerned parties communicate well. That being said I think that is an issue that is easier for some schools to overcome then others.

-If you've got a school that has to play league games on weekends and you get a couple of cancellations that is bear.

-If you are at a school with one gym and 2-3 teams, re-scheduling is much different then if you are at a school with 7-8 teams and one gym.

-You also have schools that in order to play the game have to co-ordinate schools schedules, teams schedules, coaches work schedules, parent/district transportation schedules, and check with officials to make sure it is ok to have a game that night. At some schools not all these issues come into play in scheduling depending on resources, availability etc.

That being said I find the biggest problem in scheduling (other then the added layers of red tape I've seen over the last few years) is still that some schools/teams are very well organized and getting things done is priority and another school/team they need to work with it is not.

All good points.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.homesmoncton.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Longer Regular Season   Today at 9:05 am

Back to top Go down

Longer Regular Season
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1