HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

New Provincial Rankings for 4A Girls

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bballfan

PostSubject: New Provincial Rankings for 4A Girls   Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:44 pm

New rankings for the 4A girls are out and I have to pretty much agree with them.

Question: with the Provincials scheduled to be played in Edmonton this year, how many teams out of the Lethbridge area are eligible for the provincials, 2 or 3?

If only 2 teams from the south are eligible, then Cardston should not be ranked in the top ten because they will not even make it into the provincials, (it will be Raymond and Catholic Central).

Since EP Scarlett is most likely the 4th team out of Calgary to make the provincials, should not they of been ranked 10th?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballfan

PostSubject: Actual standings   Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:48 pm

For those that did not know where to look, here are the new 4A girls rankings:

2010-11

Semester
Break Ranking

Team

Zone

Archbishop O'Leary

Edmonton

Centennial High
Calgary

Western
Canada

Calgary

Spruce Grove Composite

Edmonton

Sir Winston Churchill

Calgary

Jasper Place

Edmonton

Catholic Central
South

Paul Kane
Edmonton

Raymond

South

Cardston High

South
Honorable Mentions (alphabetical order)

HM

Archbishop Jordan

Edmonton

HM

Dr. EP Scarlett

Calgary

HM

Harry Ainlay

Edmonton

HM

Lethbridge Collegiate Institute

South

HM

St. Mary

Calgary
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: New Provincial Rankings for 4A Girls   Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:40 pm

Good questions. How many teams from the south would go to provincials this year? Isn't there usually 3 teams from the south that go to provincials?
But is should not matter how many from each area go to provincials, the rankings are based on the top 15 teams.
If that was the case we should have teams from central, north east, and north west also in the rankings and if Edmonton and Calgary get 4 each then they could only have 4 teams in the rankings!!?????
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballfan

PostSubject: Re: New Provincial Rankings for 4A Girls   Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:14 pm

Southfan, I agree that rankings should ordinarily be used to indicate the best teams. But if look at the final ranking for last year, they were made based on the teams that went to the Provincials only. Also these rankings are used to seed the teams for the Provincial tournament. Based on this logic it would seem that the rankings should not be based solely on the talent level of a team but also in the area in which they play.

Just a thought.

I
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: New Provincial Rankings for 4A Girls   Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:26 pm

bballfan,
Yes, the FINAL RANKINGS are for seeding for provincials, but mid season rankings are exactly that, and should be based on the actual top 10 and 5 HM at that point, and they are then used to determine who gets the wild cards. As it sits Edmonton will get 3 + 1 wild card + 1 host, Calgary 3 + 1 wild card, South 2 + 1 wild card, then 1 each for NE,NW, C, AND SC. for 16 berths.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballfan

PostSubject: Re: New Provincial Rankings for 4A Girls   Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:27 pm

Good point.

Thanks for the explantion pertianing to the provincial seeding.

When Calgary hosted a few years ago they had a playoff for a 5th team to participate at the provincials, that is why I assumed Edmonton being the host this year would receive that 5th seed? I could be wrong.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: New Provincial Rankings for 4A Girls   Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:07 pm

Bballfan,
If you read my last post carefully, it does add up to Edmonton getting 5 seeds, (3 + 1 wild card + 1 for hosting = 5)
So 5 Edmonton, 4 Calgary, 3 South, and 1 each for NW,NE,Central, and South Central = 16.
If I may say, very deserving for Edmonton cause they have had some strong teams stay home the past years.
But I will admit that I have a little trouble with teams that have provincial players congregate to 1 team to play, a little more incentive for the rest to beat them I guess and more pressure on them to perform!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Provincial Rankings for 4A Girls   Today at 7:18 am

Back to top Go down

New Provincial Rankings for 4A Girls
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1