HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Top defensive players in the South AA Boys

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
defense lover

PostSubject: Top defensive players in the South AA Boys   Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:18 am

I believe defense is a huge part of the game as my coach always said growing up offense wins games but defense wins championships Just wanted some input and wanted to read some threads and see what other people's thoughts are on this topic alot of kids deserved to be mentioned ? any suggestions ? i seen the grand manan breakers play in mcadam this past weekend Im not quite sure of his name i did not see him on the team last year? but i believe it was # 23 , he showed tremendous heart an hustle, an his defense blew me away held Brandon Moffit to only 21 pts, not to mention Moffit has about a full foot on this kid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rudas

PostSubject: Re: Top defensive players in the South AA Boys   Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:31 am

ONLY 21 points...I like that, that's a career night for some players. By the way Moffitt had 17 assists in that game. Grand Manan played a box and one. Moffitt simply found others who were open because of it. That being said, the player you speak of is certainly tenacious.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: Top defensive players in the South AA Boys   Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:39 am

defense lover wrote:
I believe defense is a huge part of the game as my coach always said growing up offense wins games but defense wins championships Just wanted some input and wanted to read some threads and see what other people's thoughts are on this topic alot of kids deserved to be mentioned ? any suggestions ? i seen the grand manan breakers play in mcadam this past weekend Im not quite sure of his name i did not see him on the team last year? but i believe it was # 23 , he showed tremendous heart an hustle, an his defense blew me away held Brandon Moffit to only 21 pts, not to mention Moffit has about a full foot on this kid

The kid's name is Justin Parrell, and when you say Moffitt had a foot on him, I think that is a bit of an understatement. When it comes to tenacious D, GM is right there with the best of them, they fall short in their offensive execution it seems.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boas 98-02

PostSubject: Re: Top defensive players in the South AA Boys   Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:08 am

OK, just wondering why every other thread is top this or that in the South??? If we are talking about top anything, shouldn't it be a league wide discussion??? I have nothing against the South, it's a very competitive division, but let's get rid of the tunnel vision and see the bigger picture. I don't think anyone can argue that Devon Park is the best defensive team in the league, Matthew Harrington can take a charge like it's noones business and their press is a monster in any gym, not just their own. They play D with their feet and don't commit to many stupid fouls.

Dalhousie can be very tenacious aswell with Joe Maxwell leading the way, very physical and tremendous feet here to. When they feed off of him they can stop you at will, they do fall asleep though from time to time, but if they play as a team they are tough to score on.

CNBA can play D with the best of them to, held Moffit to 11, also shut down Ryan Hunter and Eric Lewis, they have their times like everybody else of falling asleep behind the wheel but this is high school basketball, the mistakes are gonna happen, but if you look at their pts against, they aren't getting scored on a lot.
Clinten O'Donnell and John Collins work hard every night for CNBA on D to shut down the top scorers, and their success rate is very high.

Justin Parrell is a pain in the a@$ no doubt about it, loves stealing the ball and is intense start to finish, not fun to play against him at all!!

I guess these are the guys that stick out to me so far this year, I know I'm forgetting other great defenders, I'm sure someone will bring them up though.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
defense lover

PostSubject: Re: Top defensive players in the South AA Boys   Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:21 pm

Rudas wrote:
ONLY 21 points...I like that, that's a career night for some players. By the way Moffitt had 17 assists in that game. Grand Manan played a box and one. Moffitt simply found others who were open because of it. That being said, the player you speak of is certainly tenacious.

Only 21 i will admit thats a career high for some players, but this kid apparently drops about 40 a game, i seen the mcadam tourney the week before, he dropped 54 on SJHS, and to correct you, they played a diamond and one, anywhere moffit was, #23 was right there i dont think he broke eye contact the whole game, and sorry boas, not taking anything away from any other players, i just havent seen any teams besides the ones in the south so im sorry, im sure up north and all over the province there is excellent defensive players so feel free to mention them, i dont want to leave any kids out and exclude them, hard work goes un noticed alot of the time, so i wanna credit all this kids, so my bad im sorry, lets just forget the south an talk about the overall best defenders in the whole league , 39 forever, there is no understatement, moffit is a center, 23 from the breakers is a guard, but moffit did find the open man, he played a solid game, but yes i will agree grand manan offense is lacking, they need a go to guy down the stretch, an they need to execute better, well said. im not arguing, i just want to give credit to these hard worker players
Back to top Go down
View user profile
believer

PostSubject: Re: Top defensive players in the South AA Boys   Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:05 pm

belleisle and GM seem to have a lot in common. i havent seen GM play but i have seen belleisle. belleisle always plays with great intensity on defense but lacks in offensive execution (generally only scores 60-75 point per game and lots of turnovers). but they also cause as many turnovers as they commit. i have to give credit to belleisle's center (#11) (does anyone know his name?) he gets a ton of blocks a game. also (#4) has really quick feet and works hard and takes charges. its a shame they have lots of individual talent but struggles to bring it all together on offense. in my opinion, best defensive team in the east. (im sure this will get some argument)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celts4

PostSubject: Re: Top defensive players in the South AA Boys   Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:50 pm

believer wrote:
belleisle and GM seem to have a lot in common. i havent seen GM play but i have seen belleisle. belleisle always plays with great intensity on defense but lacks in offensive execution (generally only scores 60-75 point per game and lots of turnovers). but they also cause as many turnovers as they commit. i have to give credit to belleisle's center (#11) (does anyone know his name?) he gets a ton of blocks a game. also (#4) has really quick feet and works hard and takes charges. its a shame they have lots of individual talent but struggles to bring it all together on offense. in my opinion, best defensive team in the east. (im sure this will get some argument)

#11 - Daniel Hughes
#4 - Matt Cookson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EastSide

PostSubject: Re: Top defensive players in the South AA Boys   Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:40 pm

I think you are correct, JMA doesn't really play anything..they just ball..and Caledonia is an unorthodox team. Belleisle is all hustle, but lack the offensive execution.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celts4

PostSubject: Re: Top defensive players in the South AA Boys   Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:43 pm

EastSide wrote:
I think you are correct, JMA doesn't really play anything..they just ball..and Caledonia is an unorthodox team. Belleisle is all hustle, but lack the offensive execution.

caledonia has a good trap, but that's all their defense. once teams can break their trap caledonia is done.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top defensive players in the South AA Boys   Today at 7:35 am

Back to top Go down

Top defensive players in the South AA Boys
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1