HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Western Canada Basketball Tournament in Kelowna

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ebe

PostSubject: Western Canada Basketball Tournament in Kelowna   Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:55 pm

The Western Canada Tournament in Kelowna is always one of the best tournaments of the year and this year's tournament will feature four of BC's top teams as well as top teams from Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba. The tournament runs from Feb 3rd to 5th.
DRAW Thu Feb 3rd
Burnaby South vs. Kelvin (Winnipeg MB) 2:30
Vancouver College vs. Raymond (Raymond AB) 6:00

Palmer vs. Bishop Gradin (Calgary AB) 4:15
Kelowna vs. Holy Cross (Saskatoon Sask) 8:15

The finals and the third/fourth game will be broadcast live on www.sportscanada.tv
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopster

PostSubject: Re: Western Canada Basketball Tournament in Kelowna   Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:51 am

Burnaby South vs. Kelvin (Winnipeg MB) 2:30
Vancouver College vs. Raymond (Raymond AB) 6:00

Palmer vs. Bishop Gradin (Calgary AB) 4:15
Kelowna vs. Holy Cross (Saskatoon Sask) 8:15

Who does Raymond play in round two, South or Kelvin as the games above look like they are aligned to the draw.
Is this schedule online somewhere? It may be worth going to this tournie just to watch the best in BC play against Raymond.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
highschoolref

PostSubject: I found the schedule here.   Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:01 pm

http://www.bcboysbasketball.com/leagues/schedules.cfm?selectedMonth=2&selectedYear=2011&selectedTeamID=0&leagueID=13336&clientID=2192&embedLID=13336&embedCID=2192
Back to top Go down
View user profile
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Re: Western Canada Basketball Tournament in Kelowna   Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:44 pm

Howie's write up on it from The Province:

Quote :
The top four teams in The Province's most recent Big 10 B.C. senior boys Triple A basketball rankings will headline the draw at the Western Canada Invitational set to run today through Saturday at Kelowna Secondary School. Joining B.C.'s top four will be some of the best teams from Alberta and Manitoba.

On the top side of the draw, the first quarterfinal (2:30 p.m.) features No. 2 Burnaby South Rebels against Winnipeg's Kelvin Clippers, ranked No. 2 in Manitoba's highest Quad-A tier. The other quarterfinal (6 p.m.) pits the No. 3 Vancouver College Fighting Irish against Raymond, the No. 1-ranked team in Alberta's highest Quad-A tier.

On the bottom side of the draw, No. 1-ranked R.C. Palmer of Richmond faces Bishop Grandin of Calgary, Alberta's No. 9-ranked Quad-A team ina 4:15 p.m. tip. In the other game, the host and No. 4-ranked Kelowna Owls meet the unranked Holy Cross Crusaders of Saskatoon.

Semifinals are slated for 6 and 8:15 p.m. on Friday with the championship set for a 7:45 p.m. tipoff on Saturday.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoop4life

PostSubject: Re: Western Canada Basketball Tournament in Kelowna   Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:03 pm

Burnaby south beat Kelvin Clippers 79-70.
Top Scorers:
South
Ater Degal 23 points 7 assists
Manroop Clair 20 points 2 rebounds 3 assits

Kelvin
Randall Viray 16 points 4 rebounds
Michael Thorton-Finch 15 points 11 rebounds
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ebe

PostSubject: Re: Western Canada Basketball Tournament in Kelowna   Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:48 am

Palmer 85 Bishop Grandin (Calgary) 64
Vijay Dhillon 20 points, 9 rebounds
Billy Cheng 20 points, 5 assists, 7 steals
Maziar Arjmandi 20 points (6 for 7 on three-pointers)

Game was tied after one at 27 and tied at the half at 44 but we played great defense in the last two quarters to pull away. Kelowna also won so we will play them in one semi final tomorrow and South won but VC lost to the #1 team in Alberta, Raymond, so South and Raymond will play in the other semi.

Last edited by ebe on Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoop4life

PostSubject: Re: Western Canada Basketball Tournament in Kelowna   Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:25 pm

Kelowna 88 Holy Cross 77
Braxston Bunce 21 points 15 rebounds 3 blocks
Charlie Lewthwaite 21points 3 rebounds
Mitchell Goodwin 14 points 10 assists 5 rebounds
DeBoe Truss 14 poinds 4 assists

Holy Cross
Michael Farion 35 points
Adam Beitel 14 points 6 rebounds
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoop4life

PostSubject: Re: Western Canada Basketball Tournament in Kelowna   Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:29 pm

Raymond 84 Vancouver College 76

Raymond
Jimmy Ralph 33 points 8 assists
Tyson McIntyre 18 points 17 rebounds
Owen Sieban 13 points 6 rebounds

Van College
Reiner Theil 21 points 14 rebounds
Vincent Tolentino 17 points 2 rebounds
Cole Penman 12 points 7 rebounds
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoop4life

PostSubject: Re: Western Canada Basketball Tournament in Kelowna   Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:21 pm

Day 2
Vancouver College 82 Kevin Clippers (Winnipeg) 78

Van College
Vince Tolentino 24 points 6 rebounds
Reiner Theil 17 points 7 rebounds 5 assists
Adam Konar 11 points 5 rebounds 5 assists

Kelvin
Randall Virjay 17 points 6 rebounds
Jordan Ankrah 13 points
Stephen Jones 12 points 13 rebounds
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BJH

PostSubject: Re: Western Canada Basketball Tournament in Kelowna   Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:52 pm

Lots of great prospects battling it out.

http://www.flagrantfouls.com/2011/02/feb-3-6-weekend-schedules-nationally-ranked-prospects/
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hoopstarscanada.com
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Re: Western Canada Basketball Tournament in Kelowna   Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:08 am

Kelowna beats Palmer in a tight one, 73-69, and Burnaby South hands Raymond a loss 81-66. A Kelowna-Burnaby South final! Should be a great showdown. It doesn't seem like that #1 AAA spot is safe ever, does it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoop4life

PostSubject: Re: Western Canada Basketball Tournament in Kelowna   Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:34 am

Kelowna
DeBoe Truss 22 points
Braxston Bunce 14 points 12 rebounds
Mitch Goodwin 12 points 8 rebounds 5 assists

Palmer
Mike Zayas 16 points 15 reboounds
Vijay Dhillon 15 points 5 assists
Ranjodh Hare 11 points 10 rebounds
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ButteryFlow

PostSubject: Re: Western Canada Basketball Tournament in Kelowna   Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:15 pm

I hear the Sunrise/Cookie backcourt combo is the most dominant in the province
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: Western Canada Basketball Tournament in Kelowna   Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:16 pm

ButteryFlow wrote:
I hear the Sunrise/Cookie backcourt combo is the most dominant in the province

I personally like a Sunset and a nice Okanagan Merlot Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
hoopster

PostSubject: Re: Western Canada Basketball Tournament in Kelowna   Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:26 pm

I see a rematch of South and KSS in the finals. Palmer looked unbeatable at the Legal Beagle, good to see some new teams this season battling it out. How are the Kelowna refs treating the big boys? Seems to me they call a lot of touch fouls on blocked shots. Good to see #13 back in the line up for KSS he was impressive at the Beagle.
I see South handled Raymond in the semis so it looks like the West is the Best with 2 BC teams in the finals.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
And 1

PostSubject: Re: Western Canada Basketball Tournament in Kelowna   Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:58 am

hoopster wrote:
I see a rematch of South and KSS in the finals. Palmer looked unbeatable at the Legal Beagle, good to see some new teams this season battling it out. How are the Kelowna refs treating the big boys? Seems to me they call a lot of touch fouls on blocked shots. Good to see #13 back in the line up for KSS he was impressive at the Beagle.
I see South handled Raymond in the semis so it looks like the West is the Best with 2 BC teams in the finals.

South 81 Kelowna 69 in the final
Back to top Go down
View user profile
el tigre

PostSubject: Re: Western Canada Basketball Tournament in Kelowna   Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:14 pm

High quality teams.
BC should be embarrassed of themselves though. It was very obvious that the refs were not going to let the out of province teams come in and win some games.
RC Palmer vs Raymond --- foul count against Raymond was 34 to 13 with Palmer making over 30 foul shots. I can handle a 30 to 20 foul count even, but there is no way justifying that gong show. There is no use for these out of province teams to travel to these tournaments if this is the treatment they receive. It is a waste of thousands of dollars for the schools and unfair to the innocent teenagers just trying to play the game of basketball. At least the proof is on the tape, and something needs to be done.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TightD

PostSubject: Re: Western Canada Basketball Tournament in Kelowna   Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:36 pm

I wasn't there so i can't comment about that particular game but in 6 games pitting BC teams against out of province teams BC had a 113 to 110 ft att advantage. Do not have the figures for Holy Cross/VC. Maybe somebody who was there could comment.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
unregistered user

PostSubject: Re: Western Canada Basketball Tournament in Kelowna   Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:01 pm

Looked it up.

Fouls Raymond 34 RC 18
Free throws Raymond 13 RC a whopping 43.

Here's the link

http://www.cybersportsusa.com/Webgames/BoxScore.aspx?sport_id=1&tc_id=2367&team_id=11859&sch_id=77210&seas_id=2010&xmlfile=RayRC02052011630.xml

Looks a little one sided to me but not being there it is hard to say.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopnharm

PostSubject: Re: Western Canada Basketball Tournament in Kelowna   Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:00 am

In the BC forum:

el tigre wrote:

BC should be embarrassed of themselves though. It was very obvious that the refs were not going to let the out of province teams come in and win some games.

In the Alberta forum:

el tigre wrote:
The bc refs are great. They will let the boys beat the hell out of each other before they call a fouls. For Raymond to end the game with 11 fouls, and play the same way they do in Alberta, you know something is different. In Southern Alberta, they would have been called for 40 fouls that game, and the other team for about 50.

Hilarious. Of course it would be the ref's fault Raymond lost, and not because Jimmy Ralph took 41 shots to hit 37 points to go along with that pristine 4/5 assist/turnover ratio. Of course.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoop4life

PostSubject: Re: Western Canada Basketball Tournament in Kelowna   Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:01 am

hoopnharm wrote:
In the BC forum:

el tigre wrote:

In the Alberta forum:

el tigre wrote:
The bc refs are great. They will let the boys beat the hell out of each other before they call a fouls. For Raymond to end the game with 11 fouls, and play the same way they do in Alberta, you know something is different. In Southern Alberta, they would have been called for 40 fouls that game, and the other team for about 50.

Hilarious. Of course it would be the ref's fault Raymond lost, and not because Jimmy Ralph took 41 shots to hit 37 points to go along with that pristine 4/5 assist/turnover ratio. Of course.

that is very true. When I heard that Jimmy Ralph was averaging 35 points per game, I didn't figure he would need to shoot 30-40 shots to make that 35 points. Against South he shot 7 for 31 and 3 for 16 from 3. He is very talented indeed, but I just don't believe a single player should be taking that many shots regardless of how talented he is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopster

PostSubject: Re: Western Canada Basketball Tournament in Kelowna   Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:42 am

I watched a bit of the finals and 3rd/4th games of the Kelowna Western Canada classic online via sportcanada TV. The archive link is available but not working. I apparently missed some of the most exciting parts of the games. I thought Raymond had 3rd place wrapped up against Palmer so I only watched about 10 minutes of the first half. Is this link just not working yet or do you now have to buy the DVD to watch it?
Jimmy Ralph must have gone cold in the second half, of the Palmer game, but he can shoot. Several of the Raymond players were role players that were on the floor to play D and get the ball to Jimmy. I heard he was launching and hitting NBA 3's against VC in the Thursday night game. So yes he took lots of shots, but this must be coaches decision as he consistantly shoots lots. Does anyone know of posted footage on any other web sites of Raymond vs VC.
I also heard a rumor that KSS's Goodwin had his nose broken against Palmer with a nasty elbow? I guess this was a rumor as he played in the final against South.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
el tigre

PostSubject: Re: Western Canada Basketball Tournament in Kelowna   Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:29 pm

I can easily justify the comments on the forums that I made. First, I made the comment on the Alberta forum stating how great it was that the refs let the teams play ball without calling every little touch foul.

Then, the refs did a 180 and Raymond did not change their game at all, and went from a game with 11 fouls called against College to one with 34 fouls called against them with Palmer. Seems the two teams were held to very different standards and the refs were very inconsistent. It not only happened against Raymond, it only took a 4 minute stretch in the 3rd quarter of Grandin vs Palmer for the fould count to reach 8 to 0, and a tie score to run up to a 12 point lead for Palmer to turn the game around.

As for Jimmy, Yeah he shoots a lot, and yes it is tough to shoot a higher percentage when your elbows are being tipped and being bumped as soon as you jump in the air.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Re: Western Canada Basketball Tournament in Kelowna   Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:44 pm

hoopster wrote:
I watched a bit of the finals and 3rd/4th games of the Kelowna Western Canada classic online via sportcanada TV. The archive link is available but not working. I apparently missed some of the most exciting parts of the games. I thought Raymond had 3rd place wrapped up against Palmer so I only watched about 10 minutes of the first half. Is this link just not working yet or do you now have to buy the DVD to watch it?
Jimmy Ralph must have gone cold in the second half, of the Palmer game, but he can shoot. Several of the Raymond players were role players that were on the floor to play D and get the ball to Jimmy. I heard he was launching and hitting NBA 3's against VC in the Thursday night game. So yes he took lots of shots, but this must be coaches decision as he consistantly shoots lots. Does anyone know of posted footage on any other web sites of Raymond vs VC.
I also heard a rumor that KSS's Goodwin had his nose broken against Palmer with a nasty elbow? I guess this was a rumor as he played in the final against South.

Goodwin's nose did get broken in the Palmer game, but he got it patched up and played against South. Sometimes SCTV takes awhile to archive games, I am pretty sure they will archive the ones from the WC tournament, just might take longer.

In regards to others posting about the refs... You really can't blame the outcome of a game on refs. Your team could have gotten better shots instead of NBA range 3's, for example, or made more layups, etc. Unless the refs are actually determined all game to get one team to win, which I have never seen, it is always on the team and coaches to control a game regardless and adapt to referees' calls. If Raymond had the game in hand, then it was them who let the lead slip away not the refs. Sure, the refs have some impact, but it is never completely their fault for a 40 minute basketball game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopnharm

PostSubject: Re: Western Canada Basketball Tournament in Kelowna   Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:24 pm

el tigre wrote:
I can easily justify the comments on the forums that I made. First, I made the comment on the Alberta forum stating how great it was that the refs let the teams play ball without calling every little touch foul.

Then, the refs did a 180 and Raymond did not change their game at all, and went from a game with 11 fouls called against College to one with 34 fouls called against them with Palmer. Seems the two teams were held to very different standards and the refs were very inconsistent. It not only happened against Raymond, it only took a 4 minute stretch in the 3rd quarter of Grandin vs Palmer for the fould count to reach 8 to 0, and a tie score to run up to a 12 point lead for Palmer to turn the game around.

As for Jimmy, Yeah he shoots a lot, and yes it is tough to shoot a higher percentage when your elbows are being tipped and being bumped as soon as you jump in the air.

Translation: The refs were great and fair when Raymond was able to win against College. Please note that Jimmy Ralph shot 44% this game. In their losses? 23% and 37%. Coincidence? I doubt it.

When Raymond isn't able to overcome a 15/41 shooting night from their superstar, the blame goes to the refs for "not allowing a team from outside of BC to win" despite Raymond already having notched that nice win against Van College. This type of awful shot chucking and ball hogging may work in Alberta, but it obviously wasn't going to fly in BC, and it then becomes the onus of the coach to come up with a game plan other than "get the ball to Jimmy and hope he scores".

The fact that you're basing this supposed ref bias on one game is hilarious, I guess we'll just completely ignore B. South's manhandling of Raymond because it suits your agenda. South shot 29 FT's and Raymond shot 24 FT's. The common denominator with Raymond's other loss? Jimmy Ralph's efficiency, or lack thereof, needing 31 shots to get 24 points.

P.S. There are a few players on that Raymond team other than Jimmy Ralph. Brad Baker went 5/6 from the field and had 6 assists against Palmer, maybe if Ralph shares the ball a tiny bit more, Raymond doesn't give up that 20 pt lead?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Western Canada Basketball Tournament in Kelowna   Today at 1:17 pm

Back to top Go down

Western Canada Basketball Tournament in Kelowna
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next