HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Western Canada Basketball Tournament in Kelowna

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
el tigre

PostSubject: Re: Western Canada Basketball Tournament in Kelowna   Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:13 pm

I don't care what you say, you will never justify a 34 to 13 foul count in a game like that where both teams are going at it with the same intensity, and a lot of Jimmy's shots were due to playing with the end of the bench because all of the starters had 4 fouls each for the whole second half.

If they called this game the exact same as the Raymond/college game, the foul count would have been about 18 to 12 and Raymond would have won by 20+. Instead, Palmer played 3/4 of a game against Raymond's subs .

As for your other comment on South's game against Raymond, I give them credit, they are a great team with great athletes. I wouldn't say mandhandled Raymond since it was about a 6 point game with 4 or 5 minutes left, but I am not complaining there, they hit the shots and ran away with it in the end. At least in that game, they let the kids decide the game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoop4life

PostSubject: Re: Western Canada Basketball Tournament in Kelowna   Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:22 pm

Awards

Tournament MVP: Ater Degal

Tournament First Team: Michael Farion (Holy Cross), Manroop Clair (B. South), Jimmy Ralph (Raymond), & Braxston Bunce (Kelowna) Vijay Dhillon (Palmer),

Tournament Second Team: 2nd Team all-stars: Billy Cheng & Mike Zayas (RC Palmer), Deboe Truss & Mitch Goodwin (Kelowna), Vince Tolentino (Vancouver College)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
el tigre

PostSubject: Re: Western Canada Basketball Tournament in Kelowna   Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:07 pm

As an outsider looking in though, I really enjoyed watching Kelowna play. They seemed to have that spirit and team unity that you like to see. It is very unfortunate that they don't have Loffler for the season because that would add so much depth and toughness to their team. It was nice to see them go out and play hard as a team in the final without all of the showboating and trash talking that seemed to come with the Burnaby team.

Good luck in provincials.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopnharm

PostSubject: Re: Western Canada Basketball Tournament in Kelowna   Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:28 pm

el tigre wrote:
I don't care what you say, you will never justify a 34 to 13 foul count in a game like that where both teams are going at it with the same intensity, and a lot of Jimmy's shots were due to playing with the end of the bench because all of the starters had 4 fouls each for the whole second half.

If they called this game the exact same as the Raymond/college game, the foul count would have been about 18 to 12 and Raymond would have won by 20+. Instead, Palmer played 3/4 of a game against Raymond's subs .

As for your other comment on South's game against Raymond, I give them credit, they are a great team with great athletes. I wouldn't say mandhandled Raymond since it was about a 6 point game with 4 or 5 minutes left, but I am not complaining there, they hit the shots and ran away with it in the end. At least in that game, they let the kids decide the game.

You can blame the refs, or you can blame Raymond for being ridiculously one dimensional and predictable. When Jimmy Ralph had an even moderately efficient shooting night, Raymond won. When he shot incredibly poorly, Raymond lost.

A point guard taking 41 shots on any night isn't acceptable and it isn't a credible basketball strategy unless you're a really good D1 point guard or NBA superstar. Jimmy Ralph is no Derrick Rose. 19 3FG's from one player in one game is disgusting, and not in a good way.

Like I said, that ball hog offense may be enough to get you a #1 ranking in Alberta, but the teams out here are different and the coaching staff should game plan accordingly instead of stubbornly continuing on with something that kids in grade 8 learn how to stop.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
johnwall2

PostSubject: Re: Western Canada Basketball Tournament in Kelowna   Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:31 am

hoopnharm wrote:
el tigre wrote:

You can blame the refs, or you can blame Raymond for being ridiculously one dimensional and predictable. When Jimmy Ralph had an even moderately efficient shooting night, Raymond won. When he shot incredibly poorly, Raymond lost.

A point guard taking 41 shots on any night isn't acceptable and it isn't a credible basketball strategy unless you're a really good D1 point guard or NBA superstar. Jimmy Ralph is no Derrick Rose. 19 3FG's from one player in one game is disgusting, and not in a good way.

Like I said, that ball hog offense may be enough to get you a #1 ranking in Alberta, but the teams out here are different and the coaching staff should game plan accordingly instead of stubbornly continuing on with something that kids in grade 8 learn how to stop.

wow you couldnt have said it any better....this el tigre guy must be Ralph's dad or something this is just ridiculous going after the refs so maliciously like this...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
el tigre

PostSubject: Re: Western Canada Basketball Tournament in Kelowna   Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:41 am

I would just love to see one of your teams leave "the holy land" and have a foul count of 34 to 13 against you and see what you guys say then.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
And 1

PostSubject: Re: Western Canada Basketball Tournament in Kelowna   Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:15 am

el tigre wrote:
I would just love to see one of your teams leave "the holy land" and have a foul count of 34 to 13 against you and see what you guys say then.

El Tigre.....go away were done listening to you. Get over it your team lost. Move on . Oh and maybe tell your coach that its a team game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigbang604

PostSubject: Re: Western Canada Basketball Tournament in Kelowna   Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:05 pm

And 1 wrote:
el tigre wrote:

El Tigre.....go away were done listening to you. Get over it your team lost. Move on . Oh and maybe tell your coach that its a team game.

el tigre, you pretty much got owned .. lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JLivingston

PostSubject: Re: Western Canada Basketball Tournament in Kelowna   Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:20 pm

el tigre wrote:

Losing is a part of sports and is a part of life. How you deal with losing directly affects how successful you will eventually be.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Re: Western Canada Basketball Tournament in Kelowna   Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:29 pm

el tigre wrote:

If we look at the National Championships where the Provincial teams play, BC usually finishes above Alberta. End of story.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopster

PostSubject: Re: Western Canada Basketball Tournament in Kelowna   Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:22 pm

I can understand el tigre's frustration. Certain coaches work the referees into calling the game for their team's benefit. I think out of respect , referees should call the game and coaches coach. I am not saying that there should be no communication between coaches and ref's, but it needs to be minimized. I have witnessed certain coaches talking to the referee 15-20 in a game and the same referee will not talk to the other coach.

Last edited by hoopster on Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
el tigre

PostSubject: Re: Western Canada Basketball Tournament in Kelowna   Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:36 pm

My goodness, just hear me out. I am not attacking BC basketball. I believe year in and year out that BC does have better teams overall. I also believe that you have a better provincial team program. I am not attacking any players, and I believe for the most part the players showed respect for each other. My only point was, show me another game at any level where the foul count is that lopsided with two quality teams playing. I'm not attacking teenage kids, not attacking coaches. I'm just pointing out the obvious differential on how it was officiated. I know that its not the refs that put all the 3's in for Palmer at the end, those kids did a hell of a job and I commend them for their come back and adjustments to the game, but they were playing against the subs for the most part, and it would be a little more rewarding for them if they did it against the starters. Games over, and means nothing in the grand scheme of things for either team, other than they can both build off the experience and take it for what its worth.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EuroHoops

PostSubject: Owned   Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:00 am

You got owned El Tigre, how is the Heck you gonna shoot FT's when 1 selfish kid is jackin all game and no inside passing is goin on. Remember how you lost in Provs last year, Jimmy boy got no layups of sloppy guard play and his 25% shooting night (morning) got exposed big time and the 'Mets were out of Provs in a stinker. If I was the coach that would have been the end of the Jimmy Show, but no, great players still go unused. You have to pound the ball inside and attack the rim to get FT's. I thought you watched the game?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hoops-9

PostSubject: Re: Western Canada Basketball Tournament in Kelowna   Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:50 pm

I say it's the coach's fault. What kind of coach lets a player shoot 40 times in a game? Some teams don't even shoot that much in games. I guess he's got the "blue light" as the commentator said.

P.S. No one blames the refs when they win. Basketball
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BallIsLifeDelta

PostSubject: Re: Western Canada Basketball Tournament in Kelowna   Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:17 pm

Whats Manroops stats this year?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Western Canada Basketball Tournament in Kelowna   Today at 1:55 am

Back to top Go down

Western Canada Basketball Tournament in Kelowna
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2