HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

All-Canadian HS Nominees - All Canada Classic

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
inthehouse

PostSubject: All-Canadian HS Nominees - All Canada Classic    Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:08 pm

Congratulations to four local players being selected to the Top 100 watch list for the All-Canada Classic at the ACC in Toronto June 20, 2011:

Justin Shaver (McCrae)
Jean-Pierre Charles (Ashbury)
Sean Stoqua (Sacred Heart)
Ryan Evans (Earl of March)

Quite an accomplishment to be on this list with the very best across the country. Not sure if any will make the final 20 but great for the Ottawa basketball scene for sure. Thoughts??

For more info -
http://www.flagrantfouls.com/2011/01/2011-all-canada-classic-100-watch-list/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
McCoach

PostSubject: Re: All-Canadian HS Nominees - All Canada Classic    Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:42 pm

my guess is that Jean and Justin will make the top 20. Sean is with stiff competition. I am yet to see why Ryan is making these lists. No doubt he is one of the top players in Ottawa, but not sure if he is on the same level as the other 3.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: All-Canadian HS Nominees - All Canada Classic    Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:33 pm

Ryan's size alone has him very highly recruited and I imagine that Roy Rana has some influence (his new coach at Ryerson for next year). Ryan is deserving of the recognition in my opinion. I think that sometimes people who are quite larger than other guys they play against get a bad rap because so much more is expected of them simply because of his size. We played Earl recently and Ryan made some tough shots, rebounded tough and can pass from the post. These were things that many have criticized him for in the past but as he continues to grow into his body he will only get more dominant as you cannot teach 6'10". My only concern is whether or not he has the work ethic to get to that point. I dont know him that well so I cannot judge that but I hope he does as he can be a dominant force (IMO) at the next level if he is willing to commit to it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bbfan

PostSubject: Re: All-Canadian HS Nominees - All Canada Classic    Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:25 pm

I just went to the link and noticed that Chris McComber of John McCrae is also on the list of 100.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
McCoach

PostSubject: Re: All-Canadian HS Nominees - All Canada Classic    Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:35 pm

I'm not disputing Ryan's skills. He is obviously one of the most dominant players in Eastern Ontario. I just question if he is in the same level and Justin, Jean and Sean? We'll see when he gets playing at Ryerson.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
inthehouse

PostSubject: Re: All-Canadian HS Nominees - All Canada Classic    Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:10 pm

bbfan wrote:
I just went to the link and noticed that Chris McComber of John McCrae is also on the list of 100.

My apologies to Chris, went through the list quickly - congratulations and good luck!

Interesting for sure, just don't know the selection criteria but I think it will be a stretch for all of them? Only 4 players for each position?

As much as I love Sean (for obvious reasons) there are so many great PG's from Ontario let alone Canada - the likes of Pangos and Kabongo are locks so only 2 more selections - wow!!

As for Justin and Chris, where will the committee have seen these guys, playing Tier 2 with John McCrae - does this hurt their chances? I've never seen Chris play but I know he is young so to even be included in the list is great. As for Justin he is a legit top power forward with a solid reputation playing Provincially so maybe that will help.

Same with JP at Ashbury, he's highly skilled (currently ranked 2nd of all small forwards) but he's in a group with a lot of depth and breadth which includes Andrew Wiggins (Vaughan), Aaron Best (Eastern) and Leon Alexander (J Clarke). Will the committee be Torontocentric?

Ryan may have a shot - he did play for Canada so he has a reputation Nationally already. I'm not sure who's coaching but Roy Rana is involved with Canada Basketball and could have some influence. At his size he has the most potential of anyone to be great at the next level. He's got all the tools but like you CoachC I don't know him well but he sometimes go unnoticed in games which is scary for someone of that size. Anyways, hope he continues to improve but he may have the best chance to be selected.

Good luck to all!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
IrishCK

PostSubject: Re: All-Canadian HS Nominees - All Canada Classic    Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:41 pm

Add Local product Shayok Shayok who is currently playing at IMG Prep in Florida after playing at Hawthorne Public and St. Patrick's (for grades 9, 10and 11) to the list of finalists.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: All-Canadian HS Nominees - All Canada Classic    Today at 5:00 pm

Back to top Go down

All-Canadian HS Nominees - All Canada Classic
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1