HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Alberta Ball 2011-2012

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
big_fan

PostSubject: Alberta Ball 2011-2012   Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:22 pm

Who's going to be the strength out of Alberta for the 2011-2012 season? Is Western Canada still going to be dominant in Calgary? Is Raymond going to be the strength in the south? Jasper Place and Harry Ainlay, and Ross Sheppard in Edmonton?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
treyfactor

PostSubject: Re: Alberta Ball 2011-2012   Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:27 pm

I have always tried to figure out why people try to talk about next year in the middle of the current season. Is it because they are out of contention or just truly looking forward to the NEXT season. Calgary is very interesting this season and should be just as much as NEXT Season.
I think this is a rebuilding year in Edmonton and Peterson and the boys from Edmonton should be fun to watch next at Ainley.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bballjunkie

PostSubject: Ainlay   Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:29 pm

Looking forward to see Peterson and Annets play together this year and next....they both move the ball real well and like to run. Saw them play head to head against each other in a tournament a couple years ago and it was fun to watch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Alberta Ball 2011-2012   Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:24 pm

There are a few very good teams this year with leadership coming from a grade 11 core. Very good this year and in provincials contention in both 3A and 4A. The further they go this year, the better they are next year.
Back to top Go down
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: Alberta Ball 2011-2012   Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:27 pm

Such as?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Alberta Ball 2011-2012   Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:37 pm

BG, HA and Chestermere have to be at the top of that list. Cardston isn't that far behind.
Back to top Go down
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: Alberta Ball 2011-2012   Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:14 pm

PK will be returning 9 players, 3 of whom start as well as the first 2 off the bench. After a full year with coach Stanley they should be up near the top as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
voice of reason

PostSubject: Re: Alberta Ball 2011-2012   Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:47 am

Outside of the obvious I think there is a lot of good talent coming up. I hear St Mary's has a very good guard playing Jr's and also Catholic Central has a lot of returning players. They may be the team to beat next year. In Calgary churchill is very young and improving. Be aware I think they will be a shake up at the top next year
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Alberta Ball 2011-2012   Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:48 am

I've heard about this St. Mary's guard. He's supposed to be a one man wrecking crew. Anyone have any information on him?

Catholic Central has some young guys coming up and Dino does a great job with that program but I'll be very surprised if they're in the top 3 in the south next year.

Mike is nearing the end of his time at Churchill. They have always attracted a lot of out of area talent but I'm not sure that program will continue to be as strong as it has been in the past.
Back to top Go down
unregistered user

PostSubject: Re: Alberta Ball 2011-2012   Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:30 am

voice of reason wrote:

Catholic Central has a lot of returning players. They may be the team to beat next year.

Catholic Central has a lot of returning players? Really? They have exactly three players on the senior team that are returning next year and one of them should not be on the senior team at all. Coaches kid. Even with that they should finish in the top three in the south next year.

Cardston has a strong jv program and four players on the senior team. They will be strong in the south next year.

Raymond will be in the mix again next year. Obviously not as strong as this year but they have three grade 11's on the senior team. One starter who is in grade 11 and there third leading scorer in grade 11. there jv team is weak though so not sure if they can step it up next year.

The Ainlay team is interesting for next year with if I am correct three starters coming back next year I think. Annetes, Peterson and Gedes.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Alberta Ball 2011-2012   Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:01 pm

Raymond is always in the mix but as far out in front of everyone as Raymond is this year, Bishop Grandin will be that far ahead of everyone next year. I'm guessing cities, provincials and an undefeated season. But a lot of things could happen over the summer.
Back to top Go down
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: Alberta Ball 2011-2012   Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:08 pm

Guess that depends on how many CYDC kids transfer schools to attend Grandin vs how many kids move over to Ainley over the summer. Must be about time for a 5A category where there are no boudaries or rules related to player transfers or recruiting. It is good to see that Calgary is now catching up to Edmonton in this area. I tip my hat to the south where they make good every year without pulling kids from other schools. You did not see abunch of Cardston and Magrath kids switch to Raymond this year because they had the best chance of winning. And win they will as noone is even in the same league.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Alberta Ball 2011-2012   Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:19 pm

It is certainly nothing new for Calgary. SWC has been actively recruiting out of area players for years - Bachinsky, Clarke, Jacobson. So has Western - Prochnau, Crowfoot, Fidler. Bert Church of the Gallup era with Coward et al. And I would emphasize "actively" recruiting. Look where Bert Church is now without that.

Programs like Raymond, Magrath and Cardston who build from within and stay strong year after year are not typical. They require a lot of dedicated volunteers from the ground up on a consistent year to year basis. And they have to retain kids in their programs. That is easier for these schools. Its a matter of simple geography.
Back to top Go down
Ominous

PostSubject: Re: Alberta Ball 2011-2012   Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:03 am

CYDC wrote:
It is certainly nothing new for Calgary. SWC has been actively recruiting out of area players for years - Bachinsky, Clarke, Jacobson. So has Western - Prochnau, Crowfoot, Fidler. Bert Church of the Gallup era with Coward et al. And I would emphasize "actively" recruiting. Look where Bert Church is now without that.

Programs like Raymond, Magrath and Cardston who build from within and stay strong year after year are not typical. They require a lot of dedicated volunteers from the ground up on a consistent year to year basis. And they have to retain kids in their programs. That is easier for these schools. Its a matter of simple geography.

Oh people, the south is not that squeaky clean. There have been transfers going on for years. I am sure they are not always sports related but football in Raymond.....basketball in Cardston does happen. When you have a lot families with relatives on both sides of the highway there is bound to be some transfers.

And let's not forget, if a student enters your school in grade 10, screw the boundaries. One can actively recruit anyone they want in grade 9. But, once that player has chosen a school they need to stick with it. I know there are students that "move" with their families and that is something I think needs to be addressed in the ASAA.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: last comment    Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:15 pm

I agree kids need to go to school where the area they live
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ominous

PostSubject: Re: Alberta Ball 2011-2012   Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:25 am

westwind Bball wrote:
I agree kids need to go to school where the area they live

I am not saying that a kid needs to go to the school where they live- just live with the decision that you make in grade 9 to 10. You want to play for Harry Ainley in grade 10...do it. Don't transfer in in your grade 12 year. If your parents want you to go to Churchill in grade 10, great- just stay there.

I guess one of the problems is that we never hear of any of the students transferring out of the big schools. We all are concerned when some stud moves to Shep, Raymond, Grandin, etc. But, we rarely pay service to those transferring out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alberta Ball 2011-2012   Today at 10:58 pm

Back to top Go down

Alberta Ball 2011-2012
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1