HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

BC Provinicials 2011

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bball guy

PostSubject: BC Provinicials 2011   Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:33 pm

Does anyone know how many teams from each zone gets into Provincials at the junior level? I think there are 8 zones in BC.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach fabio

PostSubject: Re: BC Provinicials 2011   Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:24 pm

In vancouver there are two teams that get in: the winner of the cities gets in and then van2 plays inpepent1 for a berth.

I believe that 4 teams get in from the fraser valley (correct me if wrong)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
True bball

PostSubject: Re: BC Provinicials 2011   Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:01 am

Only 3 teams get in from the valley. It's sad that either Mouat, Pitt, walnut grove, or wrca will not have a chance at the title. All easily top 10 teams
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach fabio

PostSubject: Re: BC Provinicials 2011   Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:10 am

same with vacouver only 2 of Kits, Churchill, and VC get in. Is there a wild card tournament this year?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BB fanatic

PostSubject: Re: BC Provinicials 2011   Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:50 pm

coach fabio wrote:
same with vacouver only 2 of Kits, Churchill, and VC get in. Is there a wild card tournament this year?

There should be! There are going to be some very good teams not at the Provincials! And some very ordinary teams there!
I really do not understand why this happens every year and nothing is ever done about it! Isn;t the whole idea about seeing the best teams get together at the end of the year to see who's who (The best). What a shame we will have to speculate again!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach fabio

PostSubject: Re: BC Provinicials 2011   Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:04 pm

Now that the playoffs are coming up who are some of the favourites to come out of each zone?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Re: BC Provinicials 2011   Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:11 pm

BB fanatic wrote:
coach fabio wrote:

There should be! There are going to be some very good teams not at the Provincials! And some very ordinary teams there!
I really do not understand why this happens every year and nothing is ever done about it! Isn;t the whole idea about seeing the best teams get together at the end of the year to see who's who (The best). What a shame we will have to speculate again!

You'll still see the best team win though. If a team doesn't make it out of their zone during playoffs, it means they weren't deserving to rep their zone. Whoever wins provincials will have to beat the teams that did make it out of each zone. So at least you we can be confident in crowning a champion. And, most importantly, Provincials represents all of BC with at least 1 rep from each zone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
justdoit

PostSubject: Re: BC Provinicials 2011   Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:33 am

okanaganbball wrote:
BB fanatic wrote:
coach fabio wrote:

You'll still see the best team win though. If a team doesn't make it out of their zone during playoffs, it means they weren't deserving to rep their zone. Whoever wins provincials will have to beat the teams that did make it out of each zone. So at least you we can be confident in crowning a champion. And, most importantly, Provincials represents all of BC with at least 1 rep from each zone.
Is it fair that the Valley gets 4 seeds, while Independent gets half a seed and Vancouver gets one? The "best" team could even end up not making it to the provincials, I mean every team has suffered multiple losses.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cj35

PostSubject: Re: BC Provinicials 2011   Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:48 am

I have a feeling Van Island will have 4 seeds.....3 plus the host. SMU and Claremont are deserving. I have a feeling that Van Island #3 and 4 may not deserve to be there more than say Van #2 Churchill.

But it is difficult to balance the power of each region...a wildcard like they do in Gr 9 is not a bad idea. It's very inconsistent how the seeds change so drastically from grade 8,9 and 10.

In the end it is nice that volunteers and schools host and allow the tournament to happen.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
BBfun

PostSubject: Re: BC Provinicials 2011   Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:25 am

I hope there is a wildcard, in the Valley there is WRCA, Pitt, Walnut Grove and Mouat. All of these teams are great teams and are top 10 material !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mikeyb

PostSubject: Re: BC Provinicials 2011   Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:06 am

At the end of the day, the teams that don't qualify for provincials have their grade 12 year to look forward too! That is when it really counts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachx

PostSubject: Re: BC Provinicials 2011   Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:16 am

how many teams get in provincials? 15?
And how many from valley and V&D's?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
senthil

PostSubject: Re: BC Provinicials 2011   Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:45 pm

It will be really sad to see one team from each region not travelling to Victoria. Just one bad day will end their season at their respective regionals.

FV - Pitt, WRCA,Walnut grove & Mouat
V&D - Burnet, Mcmath & south
Vancouver - Kits, Churchil, VC

Back to top Go down
View user profile
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Re: BC Provinicials 2011   Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:16 pm

justdoit wrote:
okanaganbball wrote:
BB fanatic wrote:
coach fabio wrote:

Is it fair that the Valley gets 4 seeds, while Independent gets half a seed and Vancouver gets one? The "best" team could even end up not making it to the provincials, I mean every team has suffered multiple losses.

It is based on how many schools are within a zone. And as I already said, if they lose in their zones and don't make it to provincials then they aren't the best team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach fabio

PostSubject: Re: BC Provinicials 2011   Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:40 pm

They may not be the best team in there zone but what they are saying is they may be better than a team that makes it to provincials, from another zone. But I guess if you get in through your zone you don't deserve to be the provincials anyway.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cj35

PostSubject: Re: BC Provinicials 2011   Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:25 pm

I'm very sure that at the senior level that it is based simply on number of schools. So...for instance last year in the lowermainland there were 4 AAA berths and this year 5, based on more schools in AAA.

Every year in grade 9 there are 2 Vancouver city berths and in grade 10 1 berth. I'm not sure a numeric formula is used for grade 8, 9 and 10 provincials, perhaps someone can clarify if this is indeed true.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HeartBBall

PostSubject: Re: BC Provinicials 2011   Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:31 am

cj35 wrote:
I'm very sure that at the senior level that it is based simply on number of schools. So...for instance last year in the lowermainland there were 4 AAA berths and this year 5, based on more schools in AAA.

Every year in grade 9 there are 2 Vancouver city berths and in grade 10 1 berth. I'm not sure a numeric formula is used for grade 8, 9 and 10 provincials, perhaps someone can clarify if this is indeed true.

I remember from last year's grade 9 provincials, the official sheet said that 1 berth is given to every 7 teams in a league, that means, Vancouver has total of 13 teams(they counted as 14), so they gave two berths to Vancouver last year. I'm not sure how the 10s work
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BC Provinicials 2011   Today at 8:53 pm

Back to top Go down

BC Provinicials 2011
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1