HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Offical rankings....by me.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
coach12

PostSubject: Re: Offical rankings....by me.   Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:43 pm

Not saying that you don't care about AAA ball, but it's quite clear that there are a bunch who pay no attention at all...and that's fine with me, but all I was saying is that there are a TON of rivalries that bring out a lot of people for AAA games. I watched the FHS Leo Hayes game @ the Pit and it was jammed...and that was after it had been cancelled from the previous night.(with no students/all basketball people)

I've watched a ton of games at both levels and think that FHS/Woodstock and LHHS/FHS and RHS/BMHS rivalries are every bit as strong as Boisetown/Stanley and Harvey/McAdam...I think the crowds are just as big, just as vocal and the games are just as intense that's all and I've watched them all.

Definately am looking forward to a great weekend of watching ball though...and I don't think there are going to be any "real" upsets tomorrow...maybe for seeding, but that's it.

Predictions for South/West:

1) Leo Hayes
2) KVHS
3) FHS
4) OHS

Predictions for North/East:

1) Bathurst
2) RHS
3) BMHS
4) MHS

Breaking it down a little further:

Bathurst beats KV in Bathurst
Leo Hayes beats FHS @ Leo Hayes

Then an all out war between Leo Hayes and Bathurst @ Harbour Station.
Bathurst wins by 12 pts. on the back of Matt Daley(who might be the best pg the province has seen in years)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lebronrocks

PostSubject: Re: Offical rankings....by me.   Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:56 pm

Great post C12...I have to agree with your picks to come out of the SW regional , but not so sure about the order. KV has been the hottest team in High school ball this last month and they are playing at home. But LHHS certainly has a reputation for being tough at tournament time. FHS certainly has a championship mind set that comes from being in these types of games year after year. So anything can happen in the SW.
RHS has certainly had a tougher schedule of late than BHS so will be on top of their game in the regional and could catch a very skilled BHS squad off guard (no pun intended)
A Bathurst - LHHS match-up will be a war but it may have to take place up north in a regional final.
One thing we can all agree on , there will be some great basketball played right across NB this weekend at all levels.
To reuse my earlier NCAA reference , its just like the opening rounds of march Madness. The best ball happens here and most of the upsets occur here.
Wouldn't it be something if, like the NCAAA , all games were web cast and you can watch em all at your conveinience.

Wow , now that's wishful thinking. Basketball damn!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Offical rankings....by me.   Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:44 pm

I like that this thread has taken on a happier life of its own.

I think the crowd issue is about consistency of crowd. Huge games in AAA are ridiculously better, bigger and louder from a fan stand point then most any AA game you could name. However because of the disparity between the top and bottom of AAA along with the large number of games (most at max with a lot of bonus games in there) there are a lot of games that are not important and with other options in cities less well attended. A lot of AA schools the ball games are the best ticket in town, have rivalries where every game seems like a big game and for a lot of smaller out of the way schools play less games so each one means more.

AA fans are there and loud all the time, AAA fans show up when it matters in force. FYI I will put a couple of meaningful competitive WHS vs CNHS games in Carleton County up against any pair of games in this province.

In terms of playoffs AAA boys is anyone's race RHS, LHHS, FHS, BHS could all be there and depending on this weekend be needing to play each other in unfamiliar surrondings. KVHS still has a punchers chance too.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
student

PostSubject: Re: Offical rankings....by me.   Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:47 pm

got to say i see fhs and the lions at the top of s/w. then kv and sussex
bhs in the east and no one else is close
we probably get rhs next wk and bhs gets the lions
Back to top Go down
View user profile
casualobserver

PostSubject: Re: Offical rankings....by me.   Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:25 pm

Oh, good old 'A' -- where a lot of the most dedicated fans lie. Back when the 'A' games were played on Friday night at the Aitken Centre, the numbers in attendance always bested the 'AA' and 'AAA' games. Consistently, year after year, the classic rivalries of small places where basketball is 'the' sport -- not like larger locations -- hockey, university, etc -- go on with little recognition.

Sure, I can appreciate the big 'AAA' rivalries of Leo Hayes vs. FHS, etc, but those aren't games that involve an entire community - 600 out of 50,000 isn't that impressive compared to 450 in a gym for Harvey vs. McAdam, Campobello vs. Grand Manan, etc., where a good chunk of the population shows up to root on their team.

Really would be nice if some of the local papers realized that--giving some coverage to more than just the 'big' schools. People forget that NB is half rural.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Once a Warrior...

PostSubject: Re: Offical rankings....by me.   Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:52 am

casualobserver wrote:
Oh, good old 'A' -- where a lot of the most dedicated fans lie. Back when the 'A' games were played on Friday night at the Aitken Centre, the numbers in attendance always bested the 'AA' and 'AAA' games. Consistently, year after year, the classic rivalries of small places where basketball is 'the' sport -- not like larger locations -- hockey, university, etc -- go on with little recognition.

Sure, I can appreciate the big 'AAA' rivalries of Leo Hayes vs. FHS, etc, but those aren't games that involve an entire community - 600 out of 50,000 isn't that impressive compared to 450 in a gym for Harvey vs. McAdam, Campobello vs. Grand Manan, etc., where a good chunk of the population shows up to root on their team.

Really would be nice if some of the local papers realized that--giving some coverage to more than just the 'big' schools. People forget that NB is half rural.

Could'nt agree with you more. Back a few years ago when Grand Manan sent both boys and girls on Friday nights to the Aitken Centre it was jammed packed... I think the only person left on the island was the light house keeper!!! O' the good ole days...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach12

PostSubject: Re: Offical rankings....by me.   Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:45 am

Like I said...I'm not trying to take away from the great rivalries of the smaller schools, where a lot of the community comes out to support. That's GREAT...and I wish that was everywhere, but in fact, in bigger cities there is more to do, so you don't have as many people, because there's more than a couple of things to do on a weekend. If we want to talk "percentages" then the Toronto Maple Leafs clearly don't have great fan support because they only get 20,000 in a city of a couple of million. Even if we didn't have a limit on seating, they still couldn't compete with the percentage of people that would show up.

Yes, it's all relative...I agree. The games that are close in AAA are packed, the same way the games that are close in AA are packed. The gym isn't packed for FHS to play SJHS the same way it isn't packed when Harvey plays Blackville...because the games aren't close.

When the games are close at either level...the gyms are full.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Campo02

PostSubject: Re: Offical rankings....by me.   Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:46 am

Wow, please don't talk about the Friday night games... It makes me remember how much I miss them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Offical rankings....by me.   Today at 3:22 pm

Back to top Go down

Offical rankings....by me.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2