HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Live streaming of NorthEast Regional and JV Provincial

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
lubindent

PostSubject: Re: Live streaming of NorthEast Regional and JV Provincial   Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:31 pm

Coachmac wrote:
lubindent wrote:
I won't go too detailed into our setup, but each streaming site consists of 3 computers, with a 2.8 Ghz - 4Gb ram doing the heavy lifting. The three major bottlenecks that we have are:

1.) Camera Resolution: The cameras are professional cameras, but are only "SD" or Standard Definition.

2.) Bandwidth: We have a 50/Mbps down - 30/Mbps up dedicated fibre optic internet connection, but the bottleneck remains on your internet connection(s) mostly being capped at at 1.5 Mbps meaning that we can only send so much information down the line.

3.) Content Distribution Network (Ustream) / Codec: We use Ustream to distribute our content, and that requires us to use the "Flash Media Encoder" which is not exactly top notch quality, but is also VERY VERY CPU intensive, we would literally need a supercomputer to push out a super high quality stream. Thate is the big issue right there.

Always thinking about how we could do this better...

What brand of camera are you using? Also, do you know the approximate cost of the dedicated fibre op line?

Good job, btw.

I have no clue about the specifics of our connection, I'm told it is provided by Rogers. It is our schools standard connection, we just ask staff and students to limit their access to the internet to "the essentials" during streaming hours. We use Panasonic DV cameras.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lubindent

PostSubject: Re: Live streaming of NorthEast Regional and JV Provincial   Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:35 pm

Last edited by lubindent on Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Once a Warrior...

PostSubject: Re: Live streaming of NorthEast Regional and JV Provincial   Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:31 pm

[quote="lubindent"][quote="Once a Warrior..."]The live feed was great guys...job well done. We had grandparents watching from PEI, family members from Nova Scotia and all over New Brunswick. This is a great tool for those who could'nt be there. You guys went well out of your way to pull that off. Tournament was well run and congrats to Southern Victoria.

Last edited by Once a Warrior... on Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lubindent

PostSubject: Re: Live streaming of NorthEast Regional and JV Provincial   Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:46 pm

Last edited by lubindent on Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ThePhoenix

PostSubject: Re: Live streaming of NorthEast Regional and JV Provincial   Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:06 pm

Will Sugerloaf be doing the same thing for the next round of the AA playoffs. and maybe this is something every school should look into. so many more people can watch the games who other wise would never get to chance to see thier (grandchild, friend, cousin, old team, old teamate, really insurt whatever you would like) play!

Last edited by ThePhoenix on Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coachmac

PostSubject: Re: Live streaming of NorthEast Regional and JV Provincial   Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:28 pm

Last edited by Coachmac on Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.homesmoncton.com
obcnamtaf

PostSubject: Re: Live streaming of NorthEast Regional and JV Provincial   Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:42 pm

I don't think Harvey fans should be criticizing anybody else about behavior during big games.....I seem to remember a drunk harvey fan staggering out onto the floor during an aitkrn center final a few years back...it was hilarious.....but the old saying about glass houses comes to mind....or a mcadam fan....cause I remember a large paper mache indian head mascot (warrior) insulted a lot of first nation leaders as it mocked their proud culture.....so maybe you shouldn't throw stones...??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
casualobserver

PostSubject: Re: Live streaming of NorthEast Regional and JV Provincial   Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:25 pm

I agree that 'Once a Warrior' may be a bit misguided in his post -- he potentially should have specifically messaged those responsible for the video feed if he was concerned about the action, but he brings up a key point -- the lack of respect present in our game at times.

While I no way intend to speak about the previously discussed event, I would like to point out that countless times, as a coach, player or fan, I have witnessed the absence of respect for participants--players, fans, officials and referees. Does being a coach give you the right to speak to a player however you see fit? NO. Does being a fan give you the right to berate officials, players and coaches? NO. We should all remember that.

At times, it is very appropriate to call someone out on their misguided actions, hopefully in an appropriate fashion. To watch idly as human beings and potentially children are poorly treated is unacceptable. We can be better people if we learn from our errors, instead of resorting to turning this into an episode of name calling and attempting to humiliate communities for the sake of making ourselves feel better.

Let's all try not to be immature and childish. Instead, let's turn what may have been a negative event turn into a good learning point.

Dan Fletcher

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Once a Warrior...

PostSubject: Re: Live streaming of NorthEast Regional and JV Provincial   Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:41 am

[

Last edited by Once a Warrior... on Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
guest321

PostSubject: Re: Live streaming of NorthEast Regional and JV Provincial   Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:13 am

Come on guys, give it a breeak, if he swore he swore if he didnt he didnt, im pretty sure he is a man and is capable of making his own decisions, every one makes mistakes. even if he did do it he probably regretted it. What does it change in any of your lives if he did? And knowing how some fans can be i could actually understand the lash out, i myself tend to get into a game and yell at refs ect, im not going to denie it, and if they say something back well then thats their choice and frankly i probably deserved it, if your gonna dish it out you should know how to take it back. The point being that who cares what this guy did, hes human and we all make mistakes. He can do whatever he likes. Its his life none of ours Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rudas

PostSubject: Re: Live streaming of NorthEast Regional and JV Provincial   Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:21 pm

Could someone please tell me if there are ANY english teachers who still exist in our New Brunswick high schools??!! If so, what are they teaching our students??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
student

PostSubject: Re: Live streaming of NorthEast Regional and JV Provincial   Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:11 pm

how about some cheese with that whine
Back to top Go down
View user profile
guest321

PostSubject: Re: Live streaming of NorthEast Regional and JV Provincial   Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:19 pm

There always has to be a complainer doesnt their, its a basketball forum not a ELPA.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
student

PostSubject: Re: Live streaming of NorthEast Regional and JV Provincial   Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:02 pm

actually i was laughing at all that "he said she said" stuff. or was it "she said she said". and what is elpa?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
guest321

PostSubject: Re: Live streaming of NorthEast Regional and JV Provincial   Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:37 pm

English Language Prophichancy** Assessment

Not too sure how to spell the p, isnt that ironic haha. And its the big english test everyone must complete before they can graduate high school, well thats what it was back when i was in high school, not too sure about now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach12

PostSubject: Re: Live streaming of NorthEast Regional and JV Provincial   Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:03 am

[center]Proficiency
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lebronrocks

PostSubject: Re: Live streaming of NorthEast Regional and JV Provincial   Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:53 am

not to change the subject away from our struggles with the english language , but the long range forecast on the weathernetwork.ca says a mojor storm is heading this way , on the weekend. 10-15cm friday , 10-15cm saturday.
What is the procedure for play-offs in this situation? Has it ever happened before? What will they do ? I know it's early yet and forecasts change , but I was just wondering what possible scenarios there may be?
Anybody know?
You can correct my grammar at a later time :-)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopsdawg

PostSubject: wondering   Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:00 am

Good point...Travelling to Harvey ourselves...be nasty drive in snow n wind!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: NBIAA Handbook   Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:56 am

O.R. 9 - WEATHER POLICY
The safety of players, coaches, management and spectators is the primary
concern in any weather event that occurs during all NBIAA sanctioned
activities. By understanding and following the information below, the safety
of everyone shall be greatly increased. Ultimately the referee has the final say
over delaying or restarting a match due to weather. Referees are expected to
act responsibly when dealing with such events during matches they are
controlling. (See Lightning Protocol in the Appendix Section of the Handbook)Page 47
OPERATING REGULATIONS

9.1 No NBIAA sanctioned league games, exhibition games or tournaments are
allowed to be played if any school involved is closed by their district’s
superintendent. When school districts are closed, all NBIAA activities
within that school district are cancelled and teams are not permitted to
travel, regardless if the weather improves throughout the day.

9.2 The NBIAA will suspend regional playoffs and provincial championships
if the schools involved in these competitions are closed by their district’s
superintendent.

9.3 All schools hosting regional playoffs and provincial championships are to
contact the NBIAA Executive Director to prepare alternate schedules that
would come into effect if the events are postponed.

9.4 For safety reasons, all private schools are to be considered closed if their
local school district is closed.
Back to top Go down
Rudas

PostSubject: Re: Live streaming of NorthEast Regional and JV Provincial   Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:28 pm

[quote="lebronrocks"]not to change the subject away from our struggles with the english language , but the long range forecast on the weathernetwork.ca says a mojor storm is heading this way , on the weekend. 10-15cm friday , 10-15cm saturday.
What is the procedure for play-offs in this situation? Has it ever happened before? What will they do ? I know it's early yet and forecasts change , but I was just wondering what possible scenarios there may be? Not sure where you are getting your weather info from but the weather network site is calling for 2-4cm on Friday and 5-10cm Saturday for the Fredericton/Harvey area. AA girls games were ppd a few years ago due to snow and had to be played on the following Monday. I remember some wanted to go on the Sunday but St Stephen's best player was pentecostal and could not play on Sunday.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Maripac30

PostSubject: Re: Live streaming of NorthEast Regional and JV Provincial   Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:41 pm

Forecast is 10- 15 cm on Friday and 10 - 15 cm on Saturday for the Dalhousie / Campbellton area. This would affect all the teams coming to Sugarloaf and DRHS going to Harvey.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lebronrocks

PostSubject: Re: Live streaming of NorthEast Regional and JV Provincial   Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:16 pm

Wow. Our forecast is only for about 15cm in total. Just enough to play havoc with the schedule. Thanks for the information everyone. Lets hope the forecast changes significantly over the next few days as it has done all winter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Live streaming of NorthEast Regional and JV Provincial   Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:13 am

Does anyone know if Sugarloaf is streaming the games again this weekend?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Jaxxson

PostSubject: Re: Live streaming of NorthEast Regional and JV Provincial   Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:50 am

yes they will be streaming the games all weekend again
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pg7

PostSubject: Re: Live streaming of NorthEast Regional and JV Provincial   Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:32 pm

Looks like Harvey is going to stream games as well.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/aa-sectionals
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Live streaming of NorthEast Regional and JV Provincial   Today at 10:59 am

Back to top Go down

Live streaming of NorthEast Regional and JV Provincial
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next