HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

THE ALL NEW "DRIVE" FORUM

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
baller1000

PostSubject: THE ALL NEW "DRIVE" FORUM   Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:31 am

We might as well rename this site as it has become a marketing vehicle for Drive.

We now have the Drive Junior Rankings, the Drive Grade 9 Rankings, the Drive Grade 8 Future Stars, the Drive Grade 9 Future Stars, the Drive Grade 10 Future Stars and the Drive Grade 8 and 9 Tournament.

The thing is, we had threads covering all these topics, but in jumps Drive to create their own threads covering the same topics to perpetuate their name in the market. This site has become a marketing vehicle for Drive that is doing battle with Basketball BC for players.

Drive is a business and it is no accident that half the posts on the front page now have the word Drive in them.

Arbitrary and subjective lists of "top" players judged by unnamed and probably unqualified anonymous posters does nothing to "promote" basketball. It is about promoting Drive and sucking those names into a tournament that will undoubtedly turn into a Drive recruiting session to sign players up for expensive coaching programs before Basketball BC starts up their regional and provincial programs.

This forum has become a joke, playing up the mostly unrealistic dreams of young players, most of which will probably not play beyond high school. (Sorry, but those are the facts.) Drive "rankings" and "future stars" add nothing to the discussion except an opportunity to reach more kids and get parents to open their wallets.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Raising the Bar   Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:48 am

What an entirely negative attitude. Why not simply contribute to the areas you would like to offer comments rather than decrying their efforts. I do not recall seeing anyone from Drive forcing you to read any posts or prevent you from offering comments or new constructive ideas. It simply happens that Drive contributes a lot to this forum and to basketball in BC. The reason parents take their kids to Drive and the reason kids want to play there is because they offer an outstanding service in a high quality, professional and fun environment for the kids. Plus, they get excellent competition. My son attends Drive because, in my opinion, it is the best place in BC to improve his skills.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BB fanatic

PostSubject: Re: THE ALL NEW "DRIVE" FORUM   Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:20 pm

baller1000 wrote:
We might as well rename this site as it has become a marketing vehicle for Drive.

We now have the Drive Junior Rankings, the Drive Grade 9 Rankings, the Drive Grade 8 Future Stars, the Drive Grade 9 Future Stars, the Drive Grade 10 Future Stars and the Drive Grade 8 and 9 Tournament.

The thing is, we had threads covering all these topics, but in jumps Drive to create their own threads covering the same topics to perpetuate their name in the market. This site has become a marketing vehicle for Drive that is doing battle with Basketball BC for players.

Drive is a business and it is no accident that half the posts on the front page now have the word Drive in them.

Arbitrary and subjective lists of "top" players judged by unnamed and probably unqualified anonymous posters does nothing to "promote" basketball. It is about promoting Drive and sucking those names into a tournament that will undoubtedly turn into a Drive recruiting session to sign players up for expensive coaching programs before Basketball BC starts up their regional and provincial programs.

This forum has become a joke, playing up the mostly unrealistic dreams of young players, most of which will probably not play beyond high school. (Sorry, but those are the facts.) Drive "rankings" and "future stars" add nothing to the discussion except an opportunity to reach more kids and get parents to open their wallets.

Are you capitulating? It’s not a coincident that a very large percentage of the talented skilled basket ball players we are watching have participated with one of drive’s programs at some point or another! Most parents that have spent their money with a drive program appreciate what they are getting back in return. The players that they produce are advertizing in itself. This is a free form… I see nothing wrong with drive being part of this forum! I really do not get your agenda… I understand Drives and support their quest to keep kids in the gym and off the streets. I do not know who you are, but it almost seems like you are a little jealous of their success. Your comments are yours and I have a choice to read or not to read. Therefore I have no problem with your personal opinion!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bball guy

PostSubject: Re: THE ALL NEW "DRIVE" FORUM   Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:12 pm

I am a big fan of DRIVE. Who can't support the great work Chad and Pascha do to promote basketball within the community. Parents today have choice, and many parents are happy sending their kids to DRIVE.

Yet, if you were to look at the last five years of U17 Provincial team players vs U17 Drive Elite Players, the evidence would be overwhelming that Provincial team players secure a better basketball playing future post high school (CIS or NCAA) than the boy's from Drive. This is no disrespect to DRIVE, its just a simple fact that the Provincial program attracts the best players from the entire Province, where DRIVE competes (with other clubs) for the best players from Vancouver / Lower Mainland. I think the next five years will be interesting as DRIVE expands their business geographically and expands their reach. These guys know how to market to a younger audience through tools such as Hooplife Forum, Twitter, website, and maybe over-hyping their guys just a bit (top 20 game is being picked by Drive guys so chances of kids being picked without some affiliation, well, do the math), But who cares, this stuff works and is working for them. I t creates dialogue and promotes basketball as well as Drive..........all the power to DRIVE for doing this. In this business, all publicity is good publicity. When was the last time anyone received a Twitter, email, or any type of promotion from BC Basketball. In the world of marketing basketball in BC, the guys at BC basketball are dinosaaurs compared to the guys running DRIVE. They may know basketball, at BC Basketball but they are out of their league in terms of promoting the game when compared to the boys from DRIVE.

BUT, I think the system is flawed for player development of our top guys. There is a lot of $$$'s available, and the DRIVE guys know this. We live in a free enterprise system....so good on them. It would be great if DRIVE, other clubs, and BC Basketball could figure it out so the best players from across the province get the training and exposure they need to devleop and promote themselves. We are not there yet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Teamwork....   Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:22 pm

You make some good points bball guy in a positive way. Thanks. I do not think this is a Drive versus Basketball BC issue. BBC serves a different purpose than do the club teams. Drive is simply one club doing some great work. There are others such as 3D and All-Ball, and of course the great work Ken does out of Bonsor for SBMC (or the long-standing league that Richard runs with RBL - promoting the game at the grassroots level). Drive has not been around long enough to have developed players at the U17 level from their earliest playing days. I think that you will see that the competition that Drive has helped spur (and the training from an early age) will result in a greater number of outstanding players. Their superb group of players at U15 (Mindy, Tristan, Jadon, Corey, Varoon, Elijah, Will, Matt etc..) will hopefully make a strong impact for Drive and for Basketball BC. Teamwork.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Re: THE ALL NEW "DRIVE" FORUM   Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:15 pm

bball guy wrote:
I am a big fan of DRIVE. Who can't support the great work Chad and Pascha do to promote basketball within the community. Parents today have choice, and many parents are happy sending their kids to DRIVE.

Yet, if you were to look at the last five years of U17 Provincial team players vs U17 Drive Elite Players, the evidence would be overwhelming that Provincial team players secure a better basketball playing future post high school (CIS or NCAA) than the boy's from Drive. This is no disrespect to DRIVE, its just a simple fact that the Provincial program attracts the best players from the entire Province, where DRIVE competes (with other clubs) for the best players from Vancouver / Lower Mainland. I think the next five years will be interesting as DRIVE expands their business geographically and expands their reach. These guys know how to market to a younger audience through tools such as Hooplife Forum, Twitter, website, and maybe over-hyping their guys just a bit (top 20 game is being picked by Drive guys so chances of kids being picked without some affiliation, well, do the math), But who cares, this stuff works and is working for them. I t creates dialogue and promotes basketball as well as Drive..........all the power to DRIVE for doing this. In this business, all publicity is good publicity. When was the last time anyone received a Twitter, email, or any type of promotion from BC Basketball. In the world of marketing basketball in BC, the guys at BC basketball are dinosaaurs compared to the guys running DRIVE. They may know basketball, at BC Basketball but they are out of their league in terms of promoting the game when compared to the boys from DRIVE.

BUT, I think the system is flawed for player development of our top guys. There is a lot of $$$'s available, and the DRIVE guys know this. We live in a free enterprise system....so good on them. It would be great if DRIVE, other clubs, and BC Basketball could figure it out so the best players from across the province get the training and exposure they need to devleop and promote themselves. We are not there yet.

I agree with what you've said. It is hard to get the entire province in, Basketball BC tries but is not always successful. There are biases towards LM guys usually, unwarranted biases sometimes. Every system has its flaws, but at least someone is doing something to promote basketball.

For instance, Basketball BC sets up their RTC's all over the province but they posted the wrong date this year for the tryout for one of the RTC's locations and were informed of it well before the tryout but never changed the date. They said the kids who were committed would learn about the incorrect date... But, Basketball BC has also done many great things for basketball in the province.

DRIVE does great things and has its flaws as well, but no one is perfect. I like the competition that these young guys have created, it will force Basketball BC, DRIVE, 3D, etc. to always be improving their systems, their employees, and how they're run.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller1000

PostSubject: Re: THE ALL NEW "DRIVE" FORUM   Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:28 pm

My opinion only relates to the fact this forum and others like it have been able to successfully debate, discuss, rank and talk about players, teams, coaches, conferences etc without businesses chiming in to add their rankings.

Drive coaches, if they wanted to, are free to post here and add to the discussion. The problem I have is that rankings of teams and players have now been hijacked and renamed DRIVE. That is about self promotion and advertising and that should not be what this forum is about IMHO.

We had rankings and player discussions and I don't see the DRIVE opinions as any more valuable or relevant. Like I said, they could make all those points without tagging them DRIVE. But then again, they wouldn't get their name out.

That the moderators and some of the other posters don't have a problem with that, is fine by me. I just don't agree with that view. Drive has their own website and they could just as easily post their DRIVE rankings and ratings there for anyone interested rather than post them on this free forum that is (I thought) supposed to be for players and fans to talk about basketball.

Taken further we could see all kinds of other advertising disguised as commentary and this forum will be unrecognizable, polluted with companies pushing their agendas.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: THE ALL NEW "DRIVE" FORUM   Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:54 pm

Your rhetoric is over-the-top Baller1000. "Polluted with companies pushing their agendas?" "Highjacked rankings?" Why so much negativity my friend? Come on now, celebrate these young entrepreneurs for promoting a game we care about. Drive is a few young guys promoting basketball and it is a small business. It is not Exxon. We should be cheering what they are doing (or trying to provide a better product). They should not be expected to work for free and keep a respectful silence.

And I do not see how they have highjacked the rankings. They took the initiative to create three games for 60 of the best young players in the lower mainland (grade 8s 9s and 10s) and wanted feedback from the community (isn't that good?). They started a new forum here for each game. There is nothing stopping any other academy or government organization from innovating in the same way. But they did not.

I do not think we want to have all of basketball wisdom dominated by one government mandated organization, regardless of how good they are. We want competition, new ideas, cooperation and enthusiasm for the sport.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Naismith

PostSubject: Re: THE ALL NEW "DRIVE" FORUM   Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:56 am

Mark Scott - DRIVE does benefit from having their name in the title of every post. Just do a little research on how Google sorts their results and you'll know why. Companies have been using the tactic used by DRIVE with quit a bit of success. It's all about getting your name on as many websites as many times as you can.

Also, you criticize baller1000 for his negativity but your blind devotion to DRIVE is interesting as well. You seem unable to accept any negative comment on the subject of DRIVE. Certainly you must know that not all things are perfect.

Your experience at DRIVE is not the same experience shared by all. Your son, Ethan Scott, is an phenomenal basketball talent. He has been since a young age. It is this natural talent that attracts the DRIVE coaches to him. They want to take credit for what he does so that they can market themselves. They do not pay as much attention to the less talented kids.

From what I can see DRIVE is competing directly with BasketballBC. This is particularly evident with the opening of their Langley gym. Perhaps Pasha is worried that the talented trio of Tristan Etienne, Corey Hauck, and Jadon Cohee are going cite distance (Langley/Abby are quite a distance from Richmond) to choose BasketballBC over DRIVE.

By competing with BasketballBC, DRIVE is depleting the talent that is available to play at the national level. I don't think that is a good thing. Others may have a different opinion. To each their own.

bball guy - I completely agree with you. BasketballBC is run by a bunch of old guys who have gotten a little too comfortable in their jobs. They need to bring in some new people with fresh ideas. It's too bad DRIVE and BasketballBC can't work together to increase the basketball talent in this province. For all the negative I said about DRIVE I do have to give them credit for innovation and fresh ideas. Something that is lacking at BasketballBC.

okanaganball - I lived in the Okanagan over 25 years ago and played basketball there. The Lower Mainland ignored us then and they will continue to ignore you now. It just won't change. The rest of BC is to the LM what Canada is to the USA or what BC is to Ottawa. You basically don't exist. But I have to give you credit for tirelessly standing up for the kids that play ball in the rest of BC. Keep it up!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller1000

PostSubject: Re: THE ALL NEW "DRIVE" FORUM   Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:22 am

Mark Scott wrote:

Your rhetoric is over-the-top Baller1000. "Polluted with companies pushing their agendas?" "Highjacked rankings?" Why so much negativity my friend? Come on now, celebrate these young entrepreneurs for promoting a game we care about. Drive is a few young guys promoting basketball and it is a small business. It is not Exxon. We should be cheering what they are doing (or trying to provide a better product). They should not be expected to work for free and keep a respectful silence.

And I do not see how they have highjacked the rankings. They took the initiative to create three games for 60 of the best young players in the lower mainland (grade 8s 9s and 10s) and wanted feedback from the community (isn't that good?). They started a new forum here for each game. There is nothing stopping any other academy or government organization from innovating in the same way. But they did not.

I do not think we want to have all of basketball wisdom dominated by one government mandated organization, regardless of how good they are. We want competition, new ideas, cooperation and enthusiasm for the sport.

I wasn't trying to be rhetorical; just realistic. The rankings have been hijacked because quite obviously they are trying to take over the rankings of players and teams that the members of this board were already doing. Just take a look at the number of posts for team rankings and best players etc. that we already had. We seemed to be getting along fine without rankings marked with the branding of Drive.

Similar forums don't allow this type of marketing / self promotion. Why? Because then this type of board could be "polluted" with all manner of self promotion. We don't need 3D rankings, Athelite rankings, RBL rankings or Hoopstars rankings, any more than we need Drive rankings.

I do have to give Drive credit for their marketing savvy. Having discovered that no one will stand in their way, they are exploiting this forum to maximum benefit. First: enter the already in process ranking conversation and relabel it to create the "Drive top 20" brand rankings for each age group, so kids aspire to make "DRIVE top 20". Second: ask public for input to identify any players they missed. Third: hold tournament for players thus identified. Fourth: point out number of Drive players at tournament. Fifth: encourage players at tournament to sign up for Drive. Sixth: follow up on other players suggested by forum members not in top 20, to sign up for Drive; "you want to make the Drive top 20 next year, don't you Billy?". Lastly and most importantly, do it all before Basketball BC gets the regional programs going so you can get first crack at the kids, tell them you'll take them to Div 1 and encourage them not to sign up for Basketball BC.

IMHO Drive is free to do all that and more.....on their own website. If they have an announcement about a camp or tryout, fine, do it here. Its one thing to crash a party and hand out business cards (already tacky) but quite another to then take over the conversation to have everyone talking about your business and then also ask for more leads.

I don't expect to win this argument as the moderators don't have any problem with what Drive is up to. But please, lets not confuse it with promoting basketball. This is about promoting Drive.

So looking forward to the weekly Drive Rankings and Drive Top 20 that we will be discussing going forward.
Rolling Eyes Who's on your Drive top 20?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TightD

PostSubject: Re: THE ALL NEW "DRIVE" FORUM   Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:14 am

I agree with Naismith and baller 1000. While Drive has been a great succes their shameless selfpromotion on this forum is getting a bit tiresome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach fabio

PostSubject: Re: THE ALL NEW "DRIVE" FORUM   Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:23 pm

Drive has done nothing wrong. If you don't like what they are doing don't read it. I think that we all enjoy reading the drive rankings or the drive allstars, they are just contributing to the forum. There is nothing wring with that!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BB fanatic

PostSubject: Re: THE ALL NEW "DRIVE" FORUM   Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:59 am

TightD wrote:
I agree with Naismith and baller 1000. While Drive has been a great succes their shameless selfpromotion on this forum is getting a bit tiresome.

Shameless self promotion... are you serious, come on they are good for basketball in BC, and I myself enjoy the input they have supplied to this forum. Get over it and move on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TightD

PostSubject: Re: THE ALL NEW "DRIVE" FORUM   Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:43 pm

BB fanatic wrote:
TightD wrote:

Shameless self promotion... are you serious, come on they are good for basketball in BC, and I myself enjoy the input they have supplied to this forum. Get over it and move on.

Shameless and over the top.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Re: THE ALL NEW "DRIVE" FORUM   Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:56 pm

How is it that different from McDonald's sponsoring a game/team and putting their name on it? On boards in the States there could easily be topics titled "McDonald's All-American Game Discussion", "McDonald's All-American Game Nominees", etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TightD

PostSubject: Re: THE ALL NEW "DRIVE" FORUM   Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:24 pm

okanaganbball wrote:
How is it that different from McDonald's sponsoring a game/team and putting their name on it? On boards in the States there could easily be topics titled "McDonald's All-American Game Discussion", "McDonald's All-American Game Nominees", etc.

Mcdonalds doesn't pick the players and isn't involved in basketball from a club team perspective....just PAYS for naming rights.
don't want to sound obnoxious but your point really has no relevance in this case. I admit Drive has been very successful but i am getting tired of it in this forum. It is like a constant barrage of advertising. Just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach fabio

PostSubject: Re: THE ALL NEW "DRIVE" FORUM   Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:15 pm

when we talk about the drive allstars it is the same thing as talking about talking about top grade 10 players; it is just Drive promoting bball! The only reason you have a problem with it is because it has the name drive on the topic rather than just grade 10 allstars. It is completly irrelevant if it says drive, people have there own reasons for disliking drive I have no problem with that but they have the right to post there allstars and rankings there are posting on the FREE forum, and nothing is wrong with that!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Re: THE ALL NEW "DRIVE" FORUM   Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:39 pm

TightD wrote:
okanaganbball wrote:

Mcdonalds doesn't pick the players and isn't involved in basketball from a club team perspective....just PAYS for naming rights.
don't want to sound obnoxious but your point really has no relevance in this case. I admit Drive has been very successful but i am getting tired of it in this forum. It is like a constant barrage of advertising. Just my opinion.

It has relevance. You're saying Drive is slapping their name on everything, so does McDonald's. At least Drive actually promotes basketball and cares about making players better, McDonald's just wants to advertise and sell more burgers through advertising. And yes, I'm aware the proceeds from the game are donated.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: THE ALL NEW "DRIVE" FORUM   Today at 3:15 pm

Back to top Go down

THE ALL NEW "DRIVE" FORUM
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1