HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Question for all of you coaches

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
John Stockton's Shorts

PostSubject: Re: Question for all of you coaches   Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:31 am

McCoach wrote:
From my experience it is not uncommon for the fans to make noise during foul shots. However, the last time I checked there was a rule against noise makers being used. The noise during foul shots is part of the game, and will definitely become part of the game as the athletes we coach move on to higher levels. It is something they will have to get used to and now is a great time to help train the athletes to clear their minds from all distraction and focus on the shot.

I guess it was just the change from what was currently the norm. Especially when they lost big. It was the noise makers that set everybody off.

I guess the air horns are out! Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
inthehouse

PostSubject: Re: Question for all of you coaches   Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:36 am

John Stockton's Shorts wrote:
I am not sure if this is the same province-wide but here the fans are quiet during the foul-shooting process for both sides.

Last night during the semi-final the visiting team brought out fans (which is cool - the money goes into our schools coffers) but with them they brought all kinds of noisemakers and cow bells which they used vociferously during our foul shots. I know that I might be over-sensitive but we felt that they were being BD's for starting this during a play-off game. We are already organizing air horns and extra load noisemakers for our next meeting which might be over-the-top but so be it.

A little feed-back would be appreciated. Twisted Evil

My two cents...Unfortunately this isn't the same culture as golf or tennis where there's no noise during a swing or point. If you've been to an NBA or College game there are some "hostile" environments to play in, and free-throw shooting is a challenge for sure. As a former player who played in some great HS finals at Carleton, we knew what to expect (going from 10 fans at a regular season game to 1,500 for a City final) and it was a phenomenal atmosphere. I know in that situation there were cowbells and airhorns on every FT from the opposing fans.

Personally, I'm fine with it and would expect it - although in a small HS gym the airhorn is over the top and probably can effect the shooter. It's basically part of the game in most venues/arenas - you definitely hear crowd making noise, thundersticks, fans behind backboard waving arms, signs, posters of girls in bikinis...during a free-throw. I know it's only HS but we of course tend to emulate what they do in the big leagues.

I think you can expect this for play-offs or Championship game where the stakes are higher and more kids from each school come to cheer for their team. We try to simulate this in practice when we shoot but it's still not the same when you add the pressure of a real game. I'm not sure you can do anything but deny access or confiscate at your home gym. It's part of the culture in some form, what I'm against is obsceneties or disparaging remarks being voiced against athletes/teams - that is poor taste/sportsmanship and isn't good!!

Good luck!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Stockton's Shorts

PostSubject: Re: Question for all of you coaches   Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:54 am

inthehouse - You are totally correct, I guess that people in general do not like change, especially in times of stress, whether good or bad.

But I can say that I was at the beginning of a new trend in Soo basketball
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller29

PostSubject: Re: Question for all of you coaches   Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:33 am

i have a question for the coaches. If you are one of the few "A" schools in the leauge but your team is not competitive enough to play in tier 1 competition against the AA schools would you put your team in tier 2 so that your players can have a better playing experience or play in tier 1 and have a shot at ofsaa? and in the case of this year of ashbury and louis riel playing up this year there is only 2 teams in the "A" classification
Back to top Go down
View user profile
McCoach

PostSubject: Re: Question for all of you coaches   Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:24 am

Baller, It depends on which coach you ask. A lot of us will have different answers for you. If they are a Class A school that is significantly weaker than the rest of the A, AA field then I would go into tier two for a couple of years to develop and really work with a Junior squad. When the Junior squad gets to Senior I would then re-classify into tier 1 A. But many coaches will have different opinions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question for all of you coaches   Today at 6:08 pm

Back to top Go down

Question for all of you coaches
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2