HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Mid February Girls Rankings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Southfan

PostSubject: Mid February Girls Rankings   Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:35 pm

This one will be a crap shoot, would like to here peoples ideas.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: Mid February Girls Rankings   Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:50 pm

Here is a shot:
1. Western
2. Winston Churchill
3. O Leary
4. Cent
5. Jasper Place
6. Spruce Grove
7. Catholic Central
8. Raymond
9. Cardston
10. St. Marys

HM:
ABJ
Scarlett
LCI
Paul Kane
H A

There can be a lot of but they beat so and so and so on, but I think Western is #1 and the top 10 are the top 10 period.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JD

PostSubject: Re: Mid February Girls Rankings   Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:01 pm

Here are some thoughts...
Western has to be one. They lost early to Centennial and then have not lost since. Beat Spruce Grove as well as Churchill
Oleary has lost once - to Raymond in OT. This is still a top 10 loss so they cannot drop too far. They are also the number 1 Edmonton seed.
Churchill - has lost to Western in 2 finals in the last 3 weeks. Have not lost to anyone else.
Jasper Place - lost to Cardston in Tri-Prov but those results are for final ranking. Beat Spruce Grove in League play by 1
Centennial - cleaned house down south but lost to St. Albert (#1 3A) by 2 in their final. That probably puts them down a few.
Raymond - beat #1 Oleary
Spruce Grove - lost to Western, then Ross Shep (beat them in league 3 days later) and lost to JP by 1
Harry Ainley / Cardston should be somewhere in the mix. Cardston beat Ainley in the Triv Prov final. Ainley is tough IF they have both their all-star guards playing.
Catholic Central lost to Magrath (I believe) and have had some mixed results lately..
PK - lost to St. Albert by 14 in the St. Albert Showdown final as well as ABJ by 9 (who PK had beaten by 20 a week earlier). They did go down south and win against some 3A schools (WR Myers tournament champions)

Once again the old adage that any of the top 10 teams can beat one another on a given day is holding true... We (SACHS) some how hung on to beat an outstanding Centennial team in their final and if anything only woke up Western to come out guns blazing as we play them in the opening game of the Spruce Grove tournament. We are outsized at every position but I do look forward to seeing the top team in action.. even if it is against us:)
Other matchups are Spruce Grove vs. Raymond and Oleary vs Sir Winston Churchill.

I don't know who would be the #4 team out of Calgary or out of the South (after Raymond, Cardston, CC..)
Anyhow.. those are some of my educated guesses for 4A..

For 3A there is some status quo at the top as I think St. Albert, McCoy and Magrath are solid. Louis St. Laurent is playing excellent under Coach Valpreda and should crack top 5. After that HTA, George Mac, Highwood, Edm.chr are all solid top 10 choices...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: 3A girls    Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:10 pm

if Leduc is 3A size still they should be ranked for girls saw them destrory Westikan over the weekend good three point shooting displained could be a tough out
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: Mid February Girls Rankings   Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:08 pm

I would like someone who knows to clarify which games have been taken into consideration to make the new rankings?
Rareair, you are a ranker jump in here and clarify!!!!!!
Or anyone who knows or has an opinion here!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: girls ranking    Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:48 pm

theyhad to be in last wednesday the 9 so triprov didn't count for instances
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: Mid February Girls Rankings   Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:27 am

If the 9 th is the cutoff for games then how does Raymond ( who knocked off #1) fall out of top 10 to HM, and CCHS who loses to Magrath and LCI stay in the top ten. And who did EP Scarlett beat to move up?????
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: Mid February Girls Rankings   Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:56 pm

This is how screwed up the rankings are! EP Scarlett actually lost to Bishop Grandin and moved up in the rankings!!
Would love to see the justification on these rankings!!! Wow
Maybe a little, I scratch your back, you scratch mine with Calgary and Edmonton ranker
Come on rareair quit hiding,
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SlowPoke

PostSubject: Re: Mid February Girls Rankings   Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:41 pm

A funny situation is brewing that will affect our top four teams from Calgary that will be going to the Provincials. By virtue of Scarlett winning against Mary's earlier in the season and then Mary's losing to both Centennial and Western in there regular season draw, Scarlett will most likely come second and Mary's third in the South Division. (Dispute getting beat by Grandin) Their only other tough game is against Western so even if they lose two games they come in second. Now for the funny part. Our playoff scheme calls for the Souths number 3 team to playoff against the Norths number 2 team and on the other side of the bracket the Souths number 2 plays against the Norths number 3. Mary's will most likely playoff against Churchill allowing Scarlet an easy ride against one of a number of unknown teams. (Bowness, Diefenbaker or Notre Dame) The four teams that win the first round of the playoffs will likely be our representatives at the Provincials. So even though Scarlett is ranked lower than Mary's and lost to a pretty poor team, Scarlett will most likely hold onto fourth place and and be Calgary's wild-card pick.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andone

PostSubject: Re: Mid February Girls Rankings   Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:09 pm

Please correct me if wrong, but because of the Calgary North/South crossover games this season, all 16 teams are going to make the playoffs.

That is to say that No.1 N(North) will play No.8 S(South) and vice versa.
It follows that 2 plays 7; 3 plays 6; and 4 plays 5.

Is it then possible that there may be a slightly different outcome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SlowPoke

PostSubject: Re: Mid February Girls Rankings   Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:34 am

Your half right. All 16 teams make the playoffs. However only the top four teams in each division (North and South) playoff for the Division 1 title. The bottom four from each division playoff for the Division 2 title.

End of the day, Western, Churchill from the North and Centennial, Scarlett from the South. Unless there is an upset, can pretty much count on these four making it to provincials.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buffalo

PostSubject: FINAL RANKINGS & EDMONTON PREDICTIONS    Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:33 pm

According to the ASAA website there is still one more ranking to come out.
FINAL / ADDITIONAL RANKINGS that will be released on Monday, March 7, 2011. This will include Provincial top 10 and honourable mentions for all classifications.
Edmonton's playoffs will be over on the Saturday March 5th and the rankings posted on the Monday. Do the rankers take the finals into consideration or not?

Does anyone have any predictions for Edmonton?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
D-It-Up

PostSubject: Re: Mid February Girls Rankings   Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:22 pm

Also, for Edmonton - do they get 5 spots at provincials this year. Ross Shep is hosting, so they are in. Does that leave another 4 spots?

I am guessing as well that 3 come from the south and 4 from Calgary. Can anyone clarify?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bambamballer

PostSubject: Re: Mid February Girls Rankings   Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:59 pm

Could be another interesting weekend for girls b-ball coming up at the St. Mary's tourney. I'm thinking the teams visiting from down south will have something to prove after the Mid-February rankings. It will be interesting to see how Mary's, Scarlett, and the other Calgary teams fair against the top teams from the South.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: Mid February Girls Rankings   Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:58 am

Generally yes. Edmonton and Calgary get 3 berths but will normally receive the wildcards for 4 total, plus Edmonton will get the host bid. 2 from the south plus a wildcard makes 3 from that zone. The other zones rarely receive a wildcard and some years one zone will receive 2 wildcards.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D-It-Up

PostSubject: Re: Mid February Girls Rankings   Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:17 pm

Western is not in the St. Mary's tournament but will play an exhibition game against Raymond on Saturday.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JD

PostSubject: Re: Mid February Girls Rankings   Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:05 pm

Just when you thought the 4A girls were starting to settle out... Oleary girls lost to Paul Kane tonight by 5. Oleary looked tired and disinterested in the first half (that is all I happened to see - Pk was up by 11 @ half). We play Oleary tomorrow so they will seeking some retribution I'm sure after this upset... Just goes to show on any given night....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celtics

PostSubject: Re: Mid February Girls Rankings   Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:07 pm

Yes it does go to show! This should make for an interesting game tomorrow. But if I am correct the O'Leary girls did win the Panther Classic by beating Churchill, Spruce Grove, and Western to win that tournament so fatigue may have played a factor in playing the other top teams in Alberta as well as injuries. Playoffs will be good!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JD

PostSubject: Re: Mid February Girls Rankings   Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:36 pm

physical and emotional.. I'm sure coach kutney had the girls ready to play those top teams - and they HAD to be ready.. it would be easy to overlook a PK team that you had beaten easily before - that is the nature of high school sports especially Shocked I'm sure that the Oleary girls simply kept thinking that at some point shots were going to fall etc.
In addition, PK used their size to score inside. Adut can only do so much and PK bombarded the offensive glass in the first half. They also play a 1-4 zone that forced all the Oleary penetration into PK's version of Adut (Whitney - 6'2 and Kelly Fagan - 6'0)...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buffalo

PostSubject: Edmonton Metro Heats Up    Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:27 pm

Very interesting news coming out of the Edmonton Metro?
PK beat the Spartans tonight, so does that make tomorrow nights SACHS/ O’Leary game the first place game?

Things are really tightening up in the Metro. Last week Jordan beat PK and tonight PK beat O’Leary.
What’s next ? Maybe a St. Albert upset of O’Leary?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JD

PostSubject: Re: Mid February Girls Rankings   Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:42 am

We ended up losing to Oleary by 6 (75-69) after leading almost the entire game. I've yet to see it via video as I was not on the bench due to back spasms / disk issues (I had to guarantee my Dr. that I would sit the entire time.. no sudden movements.. hmmm).
Adut dominated scoring over 40, something that she has not traditionally done against us so back to the drawing board a little bit. Apparently a lot of 1-3-1 zone as well - perhaps taking a litte bit out of westerns playbook.
Top of Metro looks like;
Oleary
SACHS
PK
ABJ
The bottom 4 will be determined by some of tonights winners/losers. Playoffs start monday. The only forsure match-up is Oleary vs. Romero (1vs8)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andone

PostSubject: Re: Mid February Girls Rankings   Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:32 pm

Some updates from Calgary

Calgary South-Centennial 1st; Scarlett 2nd.
Churchill over Western in league play by 12 last night.
Calgary North should be Churchill 1st; Western 2nd.
Churchill has 2 games in hand but should be of no consequence.
Other teams playing next week are fighting for 3rd 4th etc.

Calgary Div 1/2 playoff seeding format with all 16 teams is posted.
8 winners of the seeding round go to Div 1 and losers to Div 2.

From the St. Mary's tournament:
Raymond over St. Mary's
Scarlett over Cardston
Catholic Central ahead at the half vs St. Mary's.
Cardston vs Centennial in progress
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SlowPoke

PostSubject: Re: Mid February Girls Rankings   Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:46 pm

SlowPoke wrote:
Your half right. All 16 teams make the playoffs. However only the top four teams in each division (North and South) playoff for the Division 1 title. The bottom four from each division playoff for the Division 2 title.

End of the day, Western, Churchill from the North and Centennial, Scarlett from the South. Unless there is an upset, can pretty much count on these four making it to provi
ncials.

Looks like I spoke too soon. Appearantly, there is a seeding round playoff series to determine who makes the Division 1 and/or Division 2 playoff. Basically, the thing turns out the same with the top four teams playing off as predicted but there is a chance a lower team could knock off one of the three / four teams in the North or South divisions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: Mid February Girls Rankings   Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:28 pm

It will be very strange to see someone other than SACHS sitting atop the 3A rankings as Mccoy knocked off the Skyhawks this weekend and only have 2 losses on the year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JD

PostSubject: Re: Mid February Girls Rankings   Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:00 pm

I think McCoy should go 4a... Very Happy Come people, I get that arguement all the time...
In all seriousness, they are a very good team who simply have not played a lot of top 4a schools so don't get some of the same "press" that we might get. They have handled all 3a competition with their only losses coming to Catholic Central (top 10 4a) and I believe an out of province team. I will have to look at the tape to see where we need to improve in order to get the better of them at provincials.. I missed the game due to back issues so can't go too crazy without reason. The tournament was fitting in that we had to beat Magrath (4th) and they have to beat Highwood (7th) so it set up a great final!
I believe that like the 4a girls - the 3a top teams can beat each other on any given night.. Churchill beating Western in league play, after Oleary beat them both who then got beat by Paul Kane - just shows you have to be ready to play every night.

Couple of funny stories the past week regarding our program.. our girls were rumoured to be on "mystery" supplements / heavy protein meals due to some of the girls being larger than rival parents could remember.. so that one was put to rest when I told them all I have is a fridge in my room which our team uses for food storage.. our second story was from parents from Southern alberta who called us "team alberta" since I recruit from all over alberta (this was to my principal sitting in the crowd). When asked how I was able to do this, the parents replied that I was the provincial team coach (which of course I am not..) to which my principal responded that the only other team I coach is my daughters U13 Bantam team. He also added that if I was such a great recruiter that perhaps I might have gotten someone over 5'9.... This seemed to stump the parents...

My point to this is... if anyone has a story or a question about anything involving girls basketball @ SACHS or other programs in general - do your best to get the truth before you start spreading inuendos and misconceptions (read the Jimmy Ralph threads..). We have worked very hard for our success to this point - ask any girl that played in our program.. I will continue to advocate girls basketball and contribute to intelligent discussions whenever possible.. cheers Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mid February Girls Rankings   Today at 1:00 am

Back to top Go down

Mid February Girls Rankings
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next