HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Mid February Girls Rankings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
D-It-Up

PostSubject: Re: Mid February Girls Rankings   Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:09 pm

AMEN to that one JD!! You have to wonder where people get their info from. Isn't it funny, as soon as you are successful, there are always folks out there that want to bring you down or discredit your efforts. Cheers to making the sport of girls basketball better in Alberta.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: Mid February Girls Rankings   Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:06 am

Must have confused you with Spruce Grove.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eye/witness

PostSubject: mid -feb    Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:14 am

B-ball spirit .........SPRUCE GROVE lol! !!!!! exactly what I was thinking when reading JD's reply.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celtics

PostSubject: Re: Mid February Girls Rankings   Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:18 pm

On any given night... The St.Albert Skyhawks loose to the Paul Kane Blues in metro edmonton semi-finals 75-67.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JD

PostSubject: Re: Mid February Girls Rankings   Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:44 pm

Figured I can't just post when we win.. What a Face
Oleary girls had an easy time with PK in the finals winning by 20, 68-48. Like previously mentioned, on any given night, you need to show up.. we did not (SACHS) and we lost to a very determined PK team who shot very well from the field and the line. Can't say forsure that we were overlooking them but... We lost by 8 in the semi-finals to give PK their first win over us in 6 years. In the end, I think it emotionally drained them as the final score in the Metro final might indicate. PK rushed the floor at the end of our game, took team pictures etc. and this was the semi-final! How do you recover or get yourself up for the next game (the actual finals...). Hats off to PK who played exceptional against us and to Oleary, who as predicted win the Edmonton Metro Premier final.

Oleary and Spruce Grove (who won the public over JP) will now play to determine who is the #1 seed out of edmonton. They both however are guaranteed to go to 4A provincials. Pk will now play HA and ABJ will play JP - with the winners being the 3/4 reps. The two losers will then play to see who gets the 5th (wildcard I think). Ross Shep is in automatically as the host. However those will be the teams representing Edmonton.
Should be interesting to see who gets in.. JP I think will be automatic, but PK vs HA could be interesting if HA has their all-star guards.. PK needs to regroup and refocus on the task of making it to provincials now... Their coach (Peers) is also rumoured to be retiring after this season as well, so perhaps that might motivate some of the girls as well.

Any upsets from down south or Calgary? Raymond/Catholic Central/Cardston.... Churchill/Western/Centennial/EP Scar??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D-It-Up

PostSubject: Re: Mid February Girls Rankings   Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:04 pm

In Calgary playoffs all high ranked seeds moved on. Match ups for this week are:

Churchill (1North) vs. Grandin with winner playing winner of
Scarlett (2 South) vs. Bowness

Centennial (1 South) vs O'Byrne (beat higher ranked seed St. Francis in north) with winner playing winner of
Western (2 North) vs. St. Marys

Games go Tuesday and Thursday with final on Saturday.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
2 Fresh

PostSubject: Seeing the scores but how are the games   Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:40 am

I am following the scores and I am very surprised at some of the outcomes can someone in Edmonton give some insight. Have they been as exciting as I am thinking
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JD

PostSubject: Re: Mid February Girls Rankings   Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:37 pm

Whew... weekend is finished, time to watch some NCAA! Couple of comments about teams this year and next..
At 4a - Top 4 teams were in the semis and although O'leary did not win (ranked 1), I think most would agree that Western had the most talent that when playing together would be unstoppable - which is what happened according to reports. Adut for as awesome as she is, can only do so much - when Western comes at you with provincial team calibre size at the post AND then has provincial team guard play as well.. tough to stop. In the end, that depth is what did in Churchill as well. The scary thing is that Western gets most of their talent back (minus Hannah I believe). Oleary loses most of their upper end talent as does Churchill (PG and Bachinski). Centennial however gets most of theirs back as well, so I would expect Western / Churchill to battle it out in Calgary.
In Edmonton, JP lose 9 players I believe (most of their starters), Ainley loses Fairbanks (Emily is grade 11?), SG loses Pappy, Rene, Hooper - but do get Mclean and some of their other top couple of guards back. In Metro, ABJ gets a core of their kids back losing Erin Mckinnon who was injured most of the year anyway, Bev Facey was young this year and get most of their players back. Paul Kane loses 6 players, and much of their size (Follette - 6'2 is back). Those are some of the local teams that I am aware of..
At the 3A level - SACHS beat McCoy 74-63 - we lose Shelby Hucul (#10) and another player but return 4/5 starters and 9 of 11. Once again we are lacking in size as shelby was our giant at 5'9... We should be able to compete with the top teams in the edmonton area. McCoy who we played in the finals on saturday will be very strong and could easily compete at the 4a level - they lose no starters and have size/length with 3 girls around 6'0 and great guard play. I know at our level, George Mac will be 4a next year, Camrose lose their top 2 players, Edmonton christian will be strong returning most of their players who are very athletic, Magrath loses Jenelle who dominated their team.. So the landscape on the 3A will shift slightly, but I have high expectations of our school and that of McCoy.
Comments about games or thoughts would be great!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rawhyde

PostSubject: 3A girls final   Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:28 pm

I saw the 3A girls final in person and it was an excellent game by two very good teams. SA had a guard (#15 - Kendall) that made most everything she looked at. As with most championships, I definitely saw SA play the better defense of the two.

That's back-to-back 3A titles for SA and they only lose one starter. As mentioned above both teams return almost everyone - it will be exciting to see if anyone can challenge these two.

I hope to be in Camrose next March to watch these two do battle again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mid February Girls Rankings   Today at 1:03 am

Back to top Go down

Mid February Girls Rankings
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2