HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Any thoughts on Vancouver AAA players?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
coachBC

PostSubject: Any thoughts on Vancouver AAA players?   Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:54 am

I have been out watching many games lately and have seen some great performances lately:

Andy Vo: DT - Scoring with a variety of shots and beating his man off the dribble. Not much is known about him, but from what I've heard, and his stats, he made it onto the list.

Warren Liang: carrying his team (6) Tupper Tigers against most opponents with notable performances against D.T, (1) R.C Palmer, Van Tech, and Burnaby South. Not much to be said about this big man, offensively he finishes where he wants when he wants and is easily the best at his position in the city, if not Lower Mainland. He has a nice stroke to his shot and can even hit the 3. Shooting 10/30 from behind the arc this season.

Sunny Brar: DT - Very quick and athletic beating his man down the floor often for the easy layup. Must get a little stronger but all around not a bad package. Difficulty scoring against a solid in-shape defender. He can take an opponent of the dribble usually finishing at the rim with a tear drop or floater. His basketball I.Q is note worthy and is something to worry about for defenders in these coming playoffs.

Nemanja Djajic: VT - Notable performances against Killarney, DT, and Windemere explained why he is pretty much the top scorer in the city. Often leading his team in points, and not far from top in rebounding he has good defence against many types of positions. He has shown hustle and great on-court leadership and for sure one to watch coming playoffs.

Also mentioned:

Osaro Obaseki: Brittania Bruins Great defender, not yet the total package. Athletic and wiry, he must develop a jump shot to get on this list. Offensively not many skills brought to the table skill wise, but athletically there is an advantage over many of his defenders. With a good game against Killarney who just narrowly beat the Bruins by 3 pts. More leadership is needed on a team missing much of the talent of previous years.

Amin Benkadmir: VT - I have had the chance to see him play recently against Killarney where he really impressed me with an outstanding offensive and defensive performance. I am not sure of official stats but almost perfect from the floor scoring easily 30+ points and dominating in both rebounds and blocks. Also, good games against the tough big men duo of the Tupper Tigers (6) solidified his mention. Easily finishing over the 7" Cam Smythe of the Tigers, with tremendous hustle. Not much seen of him is what lands him only a spot on the mention list, but look for him during playoffs.

Gabriel Corpuz - Tupper Tigers. - He has accepted his duty as a role player. Hitting the open shot, and finishing at the basket when set up. He does not create too much of his own, but will finish when given the opportunity. With 11.4 pts a game he has helped the Tigers to the Provinces number 6 spot. Good role player, fundamentally sound. With the potential to become a great role player with better spacing and learning to come off screens.

THIS IS JUST FROM PERSONAL ACCOUNTS OF PLAYERS PERFORMANCES. I HAVE WATCHED ABOUT 23 AAA EAST VANCOUVER LEAGUE GAMES AND HAVE BEEN KEEPING AN EYE OUT. HOWEVER, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD YOUR OPINIONS AND ADD TO THE LIST. THANKS. Coach BC.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachBC

PostSubject: Eastside / Westside   Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:58 am

I have only watched East Side teams unfortunately, so to those with knowledge of players dominating on the West Side please feel more than welcome to post.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
greatbasketballcoach

PostSubject: Re: Any thoughts on Vancouver AAA players?   Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:16 pm

coachBC wrote:
I have been out watching many games lately and have seen some great performances lately:

Andy Vo: DT - Scoring with a variety of shots and beating his man off the dribble. Not much is known about him, but from what I've heard, and his stats, he made it onto the list.

Warren Liang: carrying his team (6) Tupper Tigers against most opponents with notable performances against D.T, (1) R.C Palmer, Van Tech, and Burnaby South. Not much to be said about this big man, offensively he finishes where he wants when he wants and is easily the best at his position in the city, if not Lower Mainland. He has a nice stroke to his shot and can even hit the 3. Shooting 10/30 from behind the arc this season.

Sunny Brar: DT - Very quick and athletic beating his man down the floor often for the easy layup. Must get a little stronger but all around not a bad package. Difficulty scoring against a solid in-shape defender. He can take an opponent of the dribble usually finishing at the rim with a tear drop or floater. His basketball I.Q is note worthy and is something to worry about for defenders in these coming playoffs.

Nemanja Djajic: VT - Notable performances against Killarney, DT, and Windemere explained why he is pretty much the top scorer in the city. Often leading his team in points, and not far from top in rebounding he has good defence against many types of positions. He has shown hustle and great on-court leadership and for sure one to watch coming playoffs.

You should take Nemanja Djajic and Sunny Brar off this list. Osaro Obaseki should replace Sunny Brar because Osaro can the run fast break and finish at the rim. Osaro can post up against bigger/stronger defenders, Sunny can't. Sunny puts up stats because his team is good. On the other hand, Osaro plays an individual game and can show he is capable. If Sunny Brar was matched up against Osaro, Osaro would win hands down. Osaro is better overall. Puneet Aujla should replace Nemanja because their outside game is almost the same, but Puneet can finish at the rim against bigger defenders. Again, Nemanja does well because of his good team. Puneet can find the openings in defences and penetrate, while Nemanja's game is more based on shooting. Puneet is better overall.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
yescoach

PostSubject: Re: Any thoughts on Vancouver AAA players?   Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:52 pm

@coachbc : definitely a extensive report. it looks like you have really been out to the games.

@greatbasketballcoach : Sunny and Nemanja are definitely deserving of their recognition. Sunny's athleticism fuels the DT offense, which is strictly based on quick inbounds and run and gun. Without him, they would be a completely different team. Osaro fails to play under the Brit system and is stagnant without the ball, failing to lead them to the playoffs. Skill is there, but at times seem to lack intensity. Puneet's outside game is definitely not better than Nemanja's. Nemanja is the best shooter in Vancouver and one of the top all around Vancouver players. His basketball IQ is levels above the avg good player in Vancouver. His passing ability is definitely worth mentioning also.

I think you may have mistakened causation and correlation. Although Nemanja may have a better supporting cast than Puneet, its Nemanja's ability to make others around him better that makes Tech a reputable team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopnharm

PostSubject: Re: Any thoughts on Vancouver AAA players?   Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:46 am

You must be a coach at Van Tech or something because there is no way that kid is the best shooter in Vancouver. Also, Osaro is better than any player on Tech or DT. Britannia failed to make the playoffs because they don't have much talent.

Where were you last year when Britannia was smashing Thompson and Tech by 30+ each and no one was shutting down anyone on Brit? Pretty convenient for you to pick their down year to come out of the woodwork and talk reckless about the second best player on Vancouver East.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
yescoach

PostSubject: Re: Any thoughts on Vancouver AAA players?   Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:01 am

The post wasnt to pick at anyone's down year. but more so to give credit where it is due. Sunny from DT has had a great season. and so has Nemanja from VT. if he isnt the best shooter in Vancouver, tell me who is. Im not taking nothing away from Osaro's game, hes a great offensive player and a great helpside shotblocker. So are you a coach from Brit? How many games have you seen of theirs? Ive seen a handful of their league games and just telling it like I see it.

We're in 2011 so I'm talking bout 2011. Fact is, Brit has had a poor showing. That doesnt take away anything from their previous AA championships. They started the season ranked 1st in double A, but once again, that means nothing since its in the past. If we were to do that, we should just start bringing up the Demitri Harris' and the other glory years Brit has had.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachBC

PostSubject: Re: Any thoughts on Vancouver AAA players?   Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:03 am

to YesCoach: I have definitely attempted to make it out to all of the AAA Senior Boys games possible in Vancouver. More specifically East Vancouver. I have seen many players with promise and potential.

greatbasketballcoach:
I fully disagree with your suggestion that Puneet is an okay open-gym player. However, against even a slightly skilled defender he has failed to demonstrate skill. 1 on 1 as well as in a team dynamic he has not shown anything special in my opinion as I have been to about 4 of his games. I have had the opportunity to see Nemanja play just under 10 games, about 4 being exhibition/tournament games. He has impressed me with not only his skill, but his knowledge of the game, he is a great shooter that knows when to use it. Unlike Puneet who often does not take the best shot opportunity and is not as skilled in the art of shot selection. Nemanja often passes up a free shot, for a free layup on most plays. He is a team player, and when needed he can hit the clutch 3. Even contested, hitting the and1 3 is not outside Nemanjas skill set. As showed against Notre Dame in the Police Invitational Tournament where he put on a excellent performance.

As far as Osaro replacing Sunny on the list, performance does not warrant any changes to be made. Sunny, as YesCoach pointed out, is the fuel to the hi-tempo offence of the David Thompson team. He pushes the ball, and finishes the ball more times than not. He can be counted on to finish under pressure in anytime of the game, as shown during games between VanTech and Tupper. Osaro has blatantly came up short this season, failing to fulfill the potential shown last season. Despite a weak supporting cast, Osaro often relies on athleticism alone to score. Shortage of skills in the post, as well as poor handles, and a less than average shot leave him off the list. His defence allow him to be considered as a potentially good player.

Amin and Gabriel were also borderline on making the list, and having to settle on the mentionable list. Due to lack of knowledge about their games and skills set. I have watched many VanTech games, about half where Amin has not played, and some where he had not dressed at all. With the outstanding performance delivered at Killarney, he had caught my eye. It is rare to find a quality player who can finish off the dribble, with the jump shot, or set up his teammates in Vancouver. However, further supporting Amin's Killarney performance was his performance against Tupper in the last season game for both teams. Coming out strong with a good shooting performance, hitting 3 straight shots with a high level of difficulty over the outstretched arms of Tuppers 7 footer Cameron Smythe (another leading force of the Tigers for the year to come), and a early dunk which excited the VanTech roster, and pushed them to within 10. He has fantastic hustle. Gabriel also played well in that matchup between the Talisman and Tigers, which was surprisingly a closer game than expected. He was needed that night, and delivered. With a poor performance from Cameron, one of the pillars of the Tupper offence, Gabriel stepped up. From the 3 Tupper games I have watched, Gabriel was finishing from anywhere within 12 feet of the rim. Not much is known of him because, unfortunately, of the lack of games I had the opportunity to watch. He has shown glimpses of great skill hitting a contested shot against VanTech's Naseem Addus, and drawing the foul against VT's John Tzikas, while finishing the layup.

I have documented all games that I have had the chance to see, and often go through them while writing my player profiles and opinions. If I had missed someone, they probably did not stand out, or I had not taken notice in any of my notes. I am only human, and unfortunately cannot be at all games all the time. This is not meant to take-away from anyones game, but to recognize them for their skill.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
CharlesII

PostSubject: Re: Any thoughts on Vancouver AAA players?   Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:07 am

yescoach wrote:
The post wasnt to pick at anyone's down year. but more so to give credit where it is due. Sunny from DT has had a great season. and so has Nemanja from VT. if he isnt the best shooter in Vancouver, tell me who is. Im not taking nothing away from Osaro's game, hes a great offensive player and a great helpside shotblocker. So are you a coach from Brit? How many games have you seen of theirs? Ive seen a handful of their league games and just telling it like I see it.

We're in 2011 so I'm talking bout 2011. Fact is, Brit has had a poor showing. That doesnt take away anything from their previous AA championships. They started the season ranked 1st in double A, but once again, that means nothing since its in the past. If we were to do that, we should just start bringing up the Demitri Harris' and the other glory years Brit has had.

The best shooter in vancouver is Andrew Mavety, hands down.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachBC

PostSubject: Re: Any thoughts on Vancouver AAA players?   Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:31 am

I have not seen much of Andrew this year, however, in the 2 league games I have seen him play he did show his shooting talent. I have seen him in the past in the club basketball program circuit, he is driven. The difference being, Nemanja is more of the set play shooter, which he does do very well. While Andrew can create more off the dribble, hitting a step back 3 against Prince of Wales. He really helps Point Greys shooting percentages, which can most likely be attributed to his years at Drive basketball under Pasha Bains. He is not at the level of consistency that Nemanja plays at yet, reflected in his stats. Nemanja is the best in strictly shooting in East Vancouver, if not Vancouver as a whole.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachescorner

PostSubject: Re: Any thoughts on Vancouver AAA players?   Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:20 am

Osaro is the second best player in Van East no doubt. If you put any single player on Van East and replace Osaro the results would be the same. His team is mediocre and its easy to stop a player without a supporting cast. Throw in Warren for Osaro, no one would be able to get Warren the ball leaving him to play point guard possibly which is just silly. Osaro gelled last years team with his defensive ability and rebounding. Put Osaro on a decent team and your team will be THAT much better.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
theman7

PostSubject: Re: Any thoughts on Vancouver AAA players?   Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:26 am

^ Very very good point. Please don't forget Osaro Obaseki was a 1st team at the AA provincials. Honestly, I have never heard of these Vancouver players that most of you have mentioned because none are on top AAA teams. Obviously these guys would be having good seasons statistically, because they are playing on teams that aren't that good. Is anybody forgetting Cameron Smythe? 7 foot center that has had NCAA Div I interest and all of Canada recruiting him. Also, Kits has couple of very talented players in Paulius and Edvin

Last edited by theman7 on Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachBC

PostSubject: Re: Any thoughts on Vancouver AAA players?   Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:28 am

Osaro definitely is up there regarding only the East. However, he is outside top 5 in my opinion. Easily top 10, however, he has failed to perform. He has much to improve on if he wishes to be higher up on the list. Including, shot, handles, and foot work. Not simply relying on athletic ability to bail him out. Defensively he is excellent, denying off the ball, and playing help side defence. He is a shot blocker and changes many shots. However, he is just not yet at that level. His hustle is not great and coach-ability is questionable as an outsider looking in he usually goes solo despite the coach's instructions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
theman7

PostSubject: Re: Any thoughts on Vancouver AAA players?   Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:30 am

They say that Defensive wins Championships. Osaro has won a AA title, enough said. He is the second best player in East Van for the Senior class.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach E

PostSubject: Re: Any thoughts on Vancouver AAA players?   Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:31 am

Osaro and Warren are a whole new level from the other players. The other players may be good but then Osaro and Warren are much much better. They both played on the same team at Drive Basketball all summer which is not an easy team to make. Osaro may not have a great jumpshot but then his defence is outstanding. He is an amazing slasher aswell due to his agressiveness and his ability to finish near the paint. He gets a lot of assists aswell. He probably got a triple double or two this season it's just that hes in a really weak team this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachBC

PostSubject: Re: Any thoughts on Vancouver AAA players?   Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:31 am

to theman7, this is primarily for grade 12 seniors graduating in the '10 - '11 season. Cam has a lot of potential as well. He is pushed around quite a bit this season, bulking up a little would be tremendous for his game. Without a doubt a player to watch going into the next season. Few will be able to stop him in the '11 - '12 season.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
theman7

PostSubject: Re: Any thoughts on Vancouver AAA players?   Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:34 am

Oh, I wasn't too sure because you listed Gabriel Corpuz from Tupper there, when I saw on the site it says hes only in grade 11
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachBC

PostSubject: Re: Any thoughts on Vancouver AAA players?   Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:35 am

Osaro is good don't get me wrong. However, he just isn't at that high level of playing yet. It is true defence wins championships. But Osaro is unable to score against many defenders. Warren is on another level all together. He is offensively and defensively sound and hard to match up against for most players. Osaro is not on Warrens level, nor is any other big man in Vancouver.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachBC

PostSubject: Re: Any thoughts on Vancouver AAA players?   Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:36 am

theman7
Oh, in my notes he's listed as a grade 12. Possibly an error on my part.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachescorner

PostSubject: Re: Any thoughts on Vancouver AAA players?   Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:36 am

I respect your opinion coachBC but Coach E is right. I'm not sure but I know Osaro has at least 3-4 triple doubles this year. If you actually pay attention to his team, they are absolutely clueless. That's why Ibrahim quit the team. I'm pretty sure the only player that can guard Warren in Vancouver is Osaro.

Cam Smyte is definetly a player to look out for next season his fade away jumper and jump hook are unblockable!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
theman7

PostSubject: Re: Any thoughts on Vancouver AAA players?   Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:41 am

I've seen Tupper player a lot in tournaments and stuff. Warren Liang has really impressed me. I wasn't too sure if he would accomplish what he did last year, because James Lum (starting pg at Cap) made his job so much easier. He looks like he has bulked up and is just a bully in the paint. Wondering where he will end up signing next year. There's no questions he's going to a CIS school with size not being a concern.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachBC

PostSubject: Re: Any thoughts on Vancouver AAA players?   Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:57 am

Osaro has 3-4 triple doubles, however, he is taking the majority of the shots for the team. 75% of the offence is allocated to Osaro and when he is off they do not score. Reason being, Osaro is a good player on a bad team. Not because he is excellent on a good team, because on a team with others who can play he would not be used as much because he is not that much better than the average defender in Vancouver - Offensively. Meaning the average defender is able to give Osaro difficulty, his athleticism helps as he does score a lot off offensive rebounds. I do not believe Osaro can defend Warren Liang, as he is outmatched physically, and skill wise. Warren can hit the shot, and likes to shoot if you give him too much room. Stay up on him and he will blow by you for a slap the backboard layup.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachescorner

PostSubject: Re: Any thoughts on Vancouver AAA players?   Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:01 am

I have seen last years battles and this years lopsided wins between Brit and Tupper and I honestly believe Osaro can guard Warren, I know for a fact he can guard Warren. Osaro may lack height but his wingspan makes up for it and he definetly has quicker feet than Warren.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachescorner

PostSubject: Re: Any thoughts on Vancouver AAA players?   Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:09 am

But still, I like how we are debating about things in Vancouver. Its fun, entertaining and interesting to see other peoples point of views on things!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopnharm

PostSubject: Re: Any thoughts on Vancouver AAA players?   Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:31 am

coachBC wrote:
because on a team with others who can play he would not be used as much because he is not that much better than the average defender in Vancouver - Offensively.

Sorry, did you miss all of last year? Osaro was the 2nd option on a good Brit team and basically manhandled almost everyone in Vancouver that tried to guard him. He can't be excellent on a good team? Are you serious? We're talking about a 1st team all star from the AA provincials, right? The second best player from the 2010 AA champions, right? Come on.

I'd like to see these other kids you're hyping up playing alongside 4 clueless players, trying to do everything, I guarantee they'll look much worse than Osaro did this season.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachescorner

PostSubject: Re: Any thoughts on Vancouver AAA players?   Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:34 am

Absolutely agree with you hoopnharm but I don't think Osaro was their 2nd option. Semir was their first option obviously, but they had MANY second options including Osaro! This takes nothing away from Osaro he is averaging double his points since last year but losing 5x the amount which is a terrible trade.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any thoughts on Vancouver AAA players?   Today at 3:17 am

Back to top Go down

Any thoughts on Vancouver AAA players?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next