HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Top Coaches in the City?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
homecourt

PostSubject: Top Coaches in the City?   Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:15 pm

Who are some of the best coaches, the forum is posting players what about coaches? Doesn't always mean they come from the top teams but who's getting the most out of what they have. Who's running some good systems, seem to have control of their team...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NOS

PostSubject: Re: Top Coaches in the City?   Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:20 pm

I'd Say coach Alex from Glebe has to be up there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldtymeballer

PostSubject: Re: Top Coaches in the City?   Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:37 am

It's a very subjective topic but one of the ways would be to look at the improvement a team makes between their grade 10 year and their graduating year. Using that basis for judgement, I think Alex Overwijk is definitely up there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
XavierJay

PostSubject: Re: Top Coaches in the City?   Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:31 pm

da

Last edited by XavierJay on Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cairinewilsonfan

PostSubject: Re: Top Coaches in the City?   Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:57 pm

Bill Arden of Cairine Wilson would be right up there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldtymeballer

PostSubject: Re: Top Coaches in the City?   Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:24 pm

Considering St. Matt's unlikely run to the league final, a year after losing pretty much every key contributer from the AAA OFSAA championship squad, I think that Coach Wren deserves consideration. Plus he runs a pretty good tournament every year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tritacke

PostSubject: Re: Top Coaches in the City?   Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:38 pm

In my opinion, some of the best coaches DO NOT coach high school basketball, but club ball. If were talking about the best high school coach for this age group, definetly former Carleton player Shawn Mccleary has to be considered (guardsmen coach) as he has every single year a guardsmen team that competes for a provincial championship.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller29

PostSubject: Re: Top Coaches in the City?   Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:35 pm

tritacke wrote:
In my opinion, some of the best coaches DO NOT coach high school basketball, but club ball. If were talking about the best high school coach for this age group, definetly former Carleton player Shawn Mccleary has to be considered (guardsmen coach) as he has every single year a guardsmen team that competes for a provincial championship.
Can we not turn this into a debate between HS or CLub ball Ofssa Misson statment has a clear explanation of the differnce between club and School sports
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tritacke

PostSubject: Re: Top Coaches in the City?   Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:03 am

If were talking about the best coaches in the city for this age group, they have to be considered. I've also heard that the Pheonix coach is quite good
Back to top Go down
View user profile
McCoach

PostSubject: Re: Top Coaches in the City?   Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:47 am

I wonder if we can get a little revival of this topic around the 2010-2011 seasons!

Some that make my list are:
- Tony House - Sacred Heart
- Alex O - Glebe
- J Purdy - Rideau
- B Arden - Carine Wilson
- McLean - Sr Girls SRB and Jr Boys Lisgar
- Sutton - Ridgemont
- S Desousa - Hillcrest
- Elliot - LDH

What other names should be in that list?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aceforever

PostSubject: Re: Top Coaches in the City?   Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:59 pm

best coaches is tough cause we don't see them run practices, some are great in games but what about practices, some might not seem to do as much in games but that may be their style and it works for their team (ala Phil Jackson not to put any of our coaches at that level, just saying)

the coaches that are named, great for what reasons? I agree btw on most of them, don't know them all but do agree, just curious what attributes you used to say they were strong ones is all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VincentLamarCarter

PostSubject: Re: Top Coaches in the City?   Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:16 pm

I seem to be a tad confused on why Mike Rowley is never in the conversation for best coach in the city. He's been a champion and knows how to win, if anything next year the Mother Teresa Titans are a team to watch out for, his star player Omar Dirie is back and the team is slowly going to start gaining that positive and winning atmosphere.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
McCoach

PostSubject: Re: Top Coaches in the City?   Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:23 am

Aceforever wrote:
just curious what attributes you used to say they were strong ones is all.

I chose a lot of these coaches based on watching a lot of games and admiring over the years how they have been able to adapt their styles to the players they have and be able to run good programs. Some may not be as successful as other, but they are creating players.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Top Coaches in the City?   Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:24 am

Not sure that I agree that coaches "create players" as McCoach seems to suggest. Saying that really takes away from the players and gives too much credit to the coaches in my opinion. Coaches can guide players to help them reach their potential but if the player does not have athletic ability or a desire to learn and work, then I would doubt that the coach will make him a great player. Perhaps if you stick with the original poster's criteria of top coaches, then you might be able to generate a list. His criteria was the coach that gets the most out of their players. For example, coach Wren coached a St. Matts team to ofsaa gold. This was a terrific achievement. But under this criteria, does he make the list when he clearly had the best players as well? Maybe not, but he definitely should make the list once you look at the following year and see that he coached his team to the city final when he clearly did not have the best players. This is also why guys like Coach Arden (Carine Wilson) and Coach O (Glebe) would make this kind of list.

I also think that the role of the high school coach vs the role of the community coach is very different. This is especially true when the high school coach is a teacher or a principal (as is the case with coach Arden from Carine). Ensuring that the players are meeting academic responsibilities is another significant responsibility of these coaches that many club coaches do not have. Thus comparing high school and community coaches, as one poster suggested, might be like comparing apples and oranges. I am not suggesting that club coaches do not care about their players' academic progress, but they are not necessarily as immersed in it as teachers and principals who coach.

Let's face it, all coaches who give up the amount of time required to coach a team do a great service to the athletes they work with. This point perhaps gets lost when we have a discussion of who the top coaches are. I also believe that all (or perhaps most?) coaches genuinely care about the athletes they work with which is why they are willing to give up so much time, and thus they all have something great to give to their players.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
McCoach

PostSubject: Re: Top Coaches in the City?   Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:35 am

Coachc I agree with a lot of what you are saying. However, I would like to clarify what I mean by creating players. Often, Coaches step into roles where a school does not have the best skilled athletes, however the team can play and compete amongst some of the better teams. McLean at SRB with the Girls, Has gone through two seasons of no superstar(s) and just having athletically talented kids, and somehow these kids compete as a squad and play well against stronger more talented teams. He was able to create/teach 'players' out of athletes.

What is your opinion of outside volunteer coaches? Many of whom have to give up a lot of personal and career time to help out the schools they are coaching at. Many of these coaches are not getting the salaries anywhere near that of teachers, who are expected to be involved in extra-curricular activities. Don't get me wrong, the teacher coaches I had were great and so were the volunteers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Top Coaches in the City?   Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:00 pm

I include all high school coaches together and do not separate them in terms of time commitment for coaching. When I talked about high school vs community coach, I was referring to those that coach high school basketball vs those that coach club basketball. Sorry if this created some confusion.

I should clarify that no teacher nor principal gets paid to coach. It is as much a volunteer activity for the teacher/principal as it is for the outside volunteer and should be appreciated equally in my opinion. The salary of a teacher who coaches is the same as the salary as a teacher who doesn't. The salaries the teacher gets is for teaching only and any comparison of salaries to the outside coach is irrelevant to a discussion about basketball. There are more teachers who coach because it fits our schedule perhaps a little better than the outside coach. Practices and games are when we are not teaching a class whereas an outside coach will likely have more difficulty balancing their work schedule with the team's schedule. Still, all coaches who coach high school sports do it voluntarily and are asked to make sacrifices to do so. This is why I said earlier that they all do a great service for the athletes they work with.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
inthehouse

PostSubject: Re: Top Coaches in the City?   Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:44 pm

Every coach should be acknowledged for taking the time to work with their respective teams. It takes a huge commitment from both sides (athlete and coaching staff) and there are so many who do it well. Over the years there have been many who weren't even basketball guys but put the time in, learned by reading books, going to coaching clinics and they are to be commended.

I might be a little biased but I think one of the reasons Ottawa HS teams can compete provincially is because of coaching. If you look at the history, take AAAA out of the picture we always challenge for and win medals. We don't always have the most talented, athletic teams but I believe we can more than hold our own on the sidelines against some of the most reputable coaches in the province.

There are a lot of good coaches who are running excellent "programs" - you have to look at the original post and see who's getting the most out of their players. At the end of the day you need players, Phil Jackson couldn't win an NBA title with the Toronto Raptors but there's also a skill-set to deal with and manage loads of talent (egos and personalities) so yes he's a great coach!

Lots of talk about player development, I've always been one to follow "players are made in the summer, teams in the fall/winter" - players have to work on their game in the summer, going to camps... a coaches focus has to be more on team goals. Yes, we'll do some guard and forward focused drills in practice and of course players will improve but it's all about team. I always want to challenge my teams by playing the best schedule possible. You'll learn more from a 20 point loss than a 20 point win hands down.

Anyways, I think Ottawa overall has superior coaching - look at the presence of Ottawa players in post-secondary institutions, these kids don't do it by themselves. We have a lot of good basketball "people" in the area doing some great things both on and off the court. Be proud and keep it up!!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller29

PostSubject: Re: Top Coaches in the City?   Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:40 pm

Last edited by baller29 on Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Top Coaches in the City?   Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:11 pm

I think that Inthehouse has said it all. Well put.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top Coaches in the City?   Today at 5:12 am

Back to top Go down

Top Coaches in the City?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1