HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Top 6 from Vancouver going to Lower Mainlands?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
coachBC

PostSubject: Top 6 from Vancouver going to Lower Mainlands?    Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:16 am

What do many of you think the city playoff will look like? Who's going, and who's not? What place, and why?

My thoughts
1. Tupper
2. Kitsilano
3. VanTech
4. David Thompson
5. Point Grey
6. Churchill

VanTech and David Thompson are interchangeable. I have watched 1 game @ VanTech between the two, with DT narrowly prevailing. Despite the regular season victory, I believe VT will take it during playoffs, due to the variables needed for DT to win again. In the game I had watched, questionable calls by the referees had landed VT's starters on the bench. Also, inconsistent shooting by DT will have to be at a high level during playoffs. They were hot during the VT game but I am not convinced they can repeat the shooting performances.

Last edited by coachBC on Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachescorner

PostSubject: Re: Top 6 from Vancouver going to Lower Mainlands?    Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:49 am

Churchill will be higher in my opinion. They man handled David Thompson when i watched them play at a tournament this season.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
yescoach

PostSubject: Re: Top 6 from Vancouver going to Lower Mainlands?    Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:00 pm

@coachBC: Top 4 looks reasonable to me. I havent seen much of the west side teams but I wouldnt sleep on the lower seeded east side teams that crept in. I recall churchill having a solid squad last year, but not sure how many of them returned.

Killarney (E5) defeated (W3) Lord Byng today with a pretty convincing final score. Byng got out played by smaller Killarney players. And this is the killarney team that was in a 3way tie in the East for a city playoff birth.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachBC

PostSubject: Re: Top 6 from Vancouver going to Lower Mainlands?    Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:22 pm

coachescorner wrote:
Churchill will be higher in my opinion. They man handled David Thompson when i watched them play at a tournament this season.

I agree, I had seen that game. They are another squad that have the potential to make it into the 5 spot, if not 4. Matchup wise, they were far greater than DT. We will have to see how the match ups unravel this week.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FBP

PostSubject: Re: Top 6 from Vancouver going to Lower Mainlands?    Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:26 am

E4 John Oliver 40 vs W5 King George 68
W3 Lord Byng 45 vs E6 Killarney 68
W4 Churchill 80 vs E5 Windermere 55
E3 Van Tech 97 vs W6 Prince of Wales 65

match-ups for tomorrow

Kitsilano vs King George
David Thompson vs Killarney
Charles Tupper vs Churchill
Point Grey vs Van Tech
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cj35

PostSubject: Re: Top 6 from Vancouver going to Lower Mainlands?    Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:05 pm

Anyone have a breakdown of the Point Grey and Van Tech game last night?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
r-macbball

PostSubject: Re: Top 6 from Vancouver going to Lower Mainlands?    Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:29 pm

Games today are

Kits vs DT
PG vs Tupper
SWC vs Tech
KG vs Killarney

I can see Kits, Tupper, Churchill and King George moving on, with a Kits/Tupper (finals) SWC/PG (3rd/4th) DT/KG (5th/6th) and Tech getting 7th. Since KG is AA, Tech should get the last LM berth out of the cities.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachBC

PostSubject: Re: Top 6 from Vancouver going to Lower Mainlands?    Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:25 am

VanTech just won against Churchill, clenching a berth to Lowers. 103-102 in overtime. With Nemanja Djajic leading the way with 28 points and 19 rebounds. He has certainly stepped up to the plate. 3 VT starters and both VT's 6th and 7th man fouled out. Tremendous heart by both teams, with Tech just edging out the win. Brian Tang, Jordan Punsalan, John Tzikas, Elvin Ansah, and Amin Benkadmir all fouled out of the game, but deserve kudos for a well played game. Good team work, and the ability to leave their man to help was what set these performances apart. Defensively each player could leave and still be safe because of the quality defence of their peers. Churchill had good performances by Nick Atwal and Ranjod, leading the way offensively. Driving and finishing was the story of the night for Churchill. The ability to finish with a Talisman contesting and stepping up set them up for a close finish. With great clutch free throws by many Churchill players.

Tomorrow will be a interesting matchup between David Thompson, and Vancouver Technical. With either team having a chance to take the W. Look for Nemanja Djajic, and Andy Vo to lead the way for both teams.

Another interesting matchup will be between the Kitsilano Blue Demons, and Tupper Tigers. A match of the Vancouver juggernauts will definitely be a exciting game to watch. Warren Liang, and Paulius Makulavicius will in all likelihood be leading the way for the match-up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FBP

PostSubject: Re: Top 6 from Vancouver going to Lower Mainlands?    Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:02 am

ranjod didn't even play for the churchill bulldogs.. were you even there?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trey

PostSubject: Re: Top 6 from Vancouver going to Lower Mainlands?    Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:03 am

anyone have see the semi final games today?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachBC

PostSubject: Re: Top 6 from Vancouver going to Lower Mainlands?    Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:08 am

My mistake Manpreet Parmar #12 of Sir Winston Churchill is the player. I had wrote the wrong number down in my book, but re-checked through the tournament program.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
yescoach

PostSubject: Re: Top 6 from Vancouver going to Lower Mainlands?    Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:23 am

Kits vs DT: Incredibly scrappy game especially in terms of backcourt pressure imo. I wasnt sure what the refs had in mind for that game. All the fouls that are normally called werent, whereas weaker ones were. Greg Patoc and Sunny Braar both got into foul. Paulius Makulavicius was a man among boys, breaking down the DT defense at will.

Tupper vs PG: PG jumped out to a 20 point lead in the first quarter with Kyrill Fourik hitting three 3's back to back. Warren Liang got into foul trouble early picking up 2 in the first quarter and Tupper seemed to play into the an uncomfortable rythm. Cam kept them in the game with inside presence causing the PG defense to collapse leading to outside jumpers. Tupper eventually fought back and closed the half down 2 and won by 7.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachBC

PostSubject: Re: Top 6 from Vancouver going to Lower Mainlands?    Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:19 am

I had missed all games of the Vancouver city tournament today, can anyone fill me in on game details? For the most part I was not surprised at the scores listed. VanTech coming off a close game victory had a moral boost, while David Thompson were thoroughly defeated yesterday so I assumed VanTech would come out strong. The W was well deserved I'm sure. Point Grey defeated King George which was closer than expected. As well as Churchill easily taking care of the Killarney Cougars.

How did the games play out? Specifically Point Grey - King George, and VanTech - DT.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
yescoach

PostSubject: Re: Top 6 from Vancouver going to Lower Mainlands?    Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:00 am

VT vs DT:
The game was close for the majority of the first quarter. VT earned an 11pt lead to go into the half. Coming out of the third, VT pushed their lead to 15. Sunny Brar (DT) as well as the three bigs from VT (Amin Benkadmir, Naseem Addus, and Elvin Ansah) all got into foul trouble. They all managed to refrain themselves from committing any more fouls. DT turned up the full court pressure in the last 5 minutes of the 4th to make it a close game. Freethrows were traded by Andy Vo and Naseem Addus. A few offensive rebounds by Amin Benkadmir helped sealed the game. The two teams were lead by Andy Vo and Nemanja Djajic in scoring. Andy had about 22pts, while Nemanja finished the game with a triple double: 26pts, 10ast, 11rebs.

PG vs KG
PG came out strong as they have in their past games this week. They built a lead worth about 10pts for the first half. KG slowly chipped away at the lead and was leading at one point at the end of the third by 3. PG struggled to take control of their defensive boards and KG made them pay with second chance points. PG was able to fight back with some back court and onball pressure leading to a few turnovers and force shots. KG was lead by an all around team effort while Guy Ostrovsky and Andrew Mavety carried the load for PG.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachBC

PostSubject: Re: Top 6 from Vancouver going to Lower Mainlands?    Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:25 am

VT-DT: Fouls seem to plague the VanTech big men as of late, surprisingly, because in the majority of previous games watched they had been good in that area. It's good to see VT could carry their moral and intensity from previous matches into this game. In past games their initial intensity has been something to improve on. I guess this was the game they did it. Rebounding wise Amin has always impressed me, so the offensive rebounding in todays game should not have caught any of the DT players or coaches off gaurd. As far as Nemanjas Djajic (VT), and Andy Vo (DT), both are very talented and are leaders on each team respectively. Nemanjas triple double further cements his place among Vancouver's elite.

PG-KG: Point Grey have consistently came out strong, surprising many teams. Their quick rotation of the ball has led to knock-down 3's which I assume is what helped push the lead. KG's Nenad Popovic is good at crashing the board and has allowed the Dragons to take advantage of many second chance points.

Thanks a bunch for the updates. They have been great. Looking at past notes, everything sounds characteristic, and I believe today the better teams won.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
yescoach

PostSubject: Re: Top 6 from Vancouver going to Lower Mainlands?    Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:03 am

Which teams does everyone have for tomorrow's games.

Kits Vs. Tupper
VT vs. PG
DT vs. KG
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachBC

PostSubject: Re: Top 6 from Vancouver going to Lower Mainlands?    Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:20 am

Tupper - Final score being within 10 points, as I imagine a close game.
Coin Toss: VT Or PG - a win being within 10 points, a close one as well.
DT - DT taking the early lead and maintaining it throughout the game. 10+ point Win.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballinismyhobby

PostSubject: Re: Top 6 from Vancouver going to Lower Mainlands?    Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:00 pm

Tupper all day
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trey

PostSubject: Re: Top 6 from Vancouver going to Lower Mainlands?    Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:05 pm

tupper won by 4 in OT. Great game. tupper made adjustments, Kits didn't.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopnharm

PostSubject: Re: Top 6 from Vancouver going to Lower Mainlands?    Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:03 am

Who was 3rd?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
yescoach

PostSubject: Re: Top 6 from Vancouver going to Lower Mainlands?    Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:28 am

1) Tupper
2) Kits
3) Van Tech
4) Point Grey
5) King George
6) David Thompson
7) Churchill
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top 6 from Vancouver going to Lower Mainlands?    Today at 5:02 pm

Back to top Go down

Top 6 from Vancouver going to Lower Mainlands?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1