HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Big trouble for Burnaby South

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
eagleball

PostSubject: Big trouble for Burnaby South   Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:27 pm

Check out the article from the bunaby paper everybody looks like some major sh$t going down at south.

Burnaby School District to deal with coach's complaint
By Tom Berridge, Burnaby Now February 15, 2011 An unofficial coach's code of conduct complaint against Burnaby South Secondary School basketball coaches will now be dealt with by the Burnaby School District.

The complaint in question, e-mailed to B.C. High School Sports on Friday, named more than 20 student athletes who were or are currently enrolled at South, who were allegedly recruited through the South Burnaby Metro Club basketball system to play Rebels' high school basketball.
However, the school district is not recognizing the complaint as it was not processed according to school district rules.
"I think the important thing to know is there is no complaint," acting communication manager Gillian Dusting told the NOW Monday. "As far as we know, there is no complaint. But we will be talking about this internally."
The complaint in question was filed by Byrne Creek Secondary School head boys' basketball coach and B.C. high school coach of the year Wayne Best.
B.C. School Sports executive director Sue Keenan confirmed to the NOW on Monday morning that she had received the complaint file.
But hours after the story went public, Best was informed by Keenan that the complaint needed to have been signed by the Byrne Creek principal to be considered official.
All further communication on the issue has since been handled through the school district.
"It's been taken seriously and will be dealt with immediately," added Dusting. "But it's important to know that this is not condoned or signed off by the system."
But Best says he will stand by his complaint and see how it is dealt with by the school district.
"Nothing in there is made up. It's factual. It was not done with mal intent and not without trying to address it," Best said, adding he has no plans to withdraw the complaint.
"I didn't make a mistake," he said. "I guess, we'll just see where it all goes. We'll see what happens from here."
Among those named in the complaint were some of South's top players on the No. 1 provincially ranked AAA boys' basketball team.
Named in the complaint were South coaches Mike Bell, Randy Edwards, Jason Price and senior boys' head coach Greg Matic, who led South to an eighth-place finish at the B.C. high school AAA provincial championships last season.
To escape the transfer rules that affect senior players as set down by B.C. School Sports, the majority of the players named were encouraged to do so before Grade 10, the complaint alleges.
When contacted by the NOW, a shocked Matic said he had not seen the complaint.
"All I know is I have positively not recruited anybody from South Burnaby Metro Club to come. ... There is no way I recruited," said Matic.
Keenan outlined the process B.C. High School Sports would take when dealing with an official complaint.
The first step in the process is to review the report and speak with the complainants and those against whom the complaint is being filed within the next 48 hours. From those conversations, Keenan would then determine whether a hearing should be called.
If a complaint is justified, a hearing panel would be assembled and both parties would have the opportunity to put their cases forward and to rebut each other's testimony, she added.

Read more: http://www.burnabynow.com/Burnaby+School+District+deal+with+coach+complaint/4288055/story.html#ixzz1E9i0K23D
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachb

PostSubject: Re: Big trouble for Burnaby South   Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:05 pm

If this is true then it is actually funny. The coach from Byrne Creek has stood up in a number of meetings and openly championed the cause of students being able to choose where they want to play.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller1000

PostSubject: Re: Big trouble for Burnaby South   Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:28 pm

coachb wrote:
If this is true then it is actually funny. The coach from Byrne Creek has stood up in a number of meetings and openly championed the cause of students being able to choose where they want to play.

Kids having choices is one thing. Recruiting them is another and I assume, is the point of the complaint.

Will be interesting to see how it comes out. Seems like the Byrne coach is pretty adamant, from the article.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
And 1

PostSubject: Re: Big trouble for Burnaby South   Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:49 pm

baller1000 wrote:
coachb wrote:

Kids having choices is one thing. Recruiting them is another and I assume, is the point of the complaint.

Will be interesting to see how it comes out. Seems like the Byrne coach is pretty adamant, from the article.

I think its great that this has come to a head...There is no more cocky team ( coaches and players included )its hard to cheer for these guys and if its true ( which i believe it is ) i hope they throw the book at them
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopster

PostSubject: Re: Big trouble for Burnaby South   Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:47 pm

Will be interesting to see how it comes out. Seems like the Byrne coach is pretty adamant, from the article.[/quote]

I think its great that this has come to a head...There is no more cocky team ( coaches and players included )its hard to cheer for these guys and if its true ( which i believe it is ) i hope they throw the book at them[/quote]

It is too bad this has gone public. I think that BC School Spoprts should deal with these matters before it goes public. If the kids are encouraged by a club/school coach to transfer then it needs to be dealt with. The hard thing is to punish kids that move on their own to get exposed to higher level of competition, do you say no you can not move. Sometimes kids move because they have friends on the school team that they played club with, is this considered recruiting? I do believe that kids should not move unless the family is relocating.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Recruiting   Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:44 pm

If a player is "recruited" in grade 9 then they are fair game to anyone that wants to talk to them or make promises to them.

If these players were NOT in grade 10 or later then there are no rules broken here.

Once a player is in grade 10 and they are "recruited" then you have issues.

When a player is in a "system" (grade 10, 11 or 12 at a school) then there are some teeth in the rules and the coaches involved could be a risk of a punishment. But a lot of time it's parent to parent, used as "intermediaries", that do the recruiting for a program. This is done sometimes with the knowledge of a program and sometimes is done without the knowledge of a program.

Should be interesting how this one filters out.

Lyle Dhur
Sportvictoria

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
bloodclot

PostSubject: Re: Big trouble for Burnaby South   Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:45 am

Lyle- Do you coach? Cause if you did you would realize how hard it is to have a kid, put time into that kids game and then have them leave to another school where they think the opportunities are better.

To say that a kid in Grade 9 is fair game is ridiculous. That right there is the whole issue with what is going on. If kids attend high schools and play for a program (a system is what you run on offense, a program is who you play for) then they are a part of that program and shouldn't be talked to by any other schools about transferring at all. How can it be any other way regardless of what Grade they are in?

Just because BC High School Sports says Grade 10 is the cutoff year doesn't 1- Make it right or 2- Make any kid "fair game". That's just nuts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldbulldog

PostSubject: Re: Big trouble for Burnaby South   Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:43 am

coachb wrote:

I agree with coachb's comments. The Byrne Creek coach used very similar wording to help defeat Ebe's motion at last years AAA Boy's AGM
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachS

PostSubject: Re: Big trouble for Burnaby South   Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:53 am

If memory serves me correctly, back when he was coaching at Alpha (when Matt Rachar was there), I remember hearing rumours that they had a couple of guys from the Queen Charlotte Islands (now known as Haida Gwaii) transfer over. Juwaun States also played on those teams - can't remember for sure if he was a transfer as well or not.

I also heard that Balloholics Youth Basketball uses Byrne Creek as one of it's program sites. If it is true, looks like SBMC has some competition.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Recruiting   Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:08 am

bloodclot wrote:
Lyle- Do you coach? Cause if you did you would realize how hard it is to have a kid, put time into that kids game and then have them leave to another school where they think the opportunities are better.

To say that a kid in Grade 9 is fair game is ridiculous. That right there is the whole issue with what is going on. If kids attend high schools and play for a program (a system is what you run on offense, a program is who you play for) then they are a part of that program and shouldn't be talked to by any other schools about transferring at all. How can it be any other way regardless of what Grade they are in?

Just because BC High School Sports says Grade 10 is the cutoff year doesn't 1- Make it right or 2- Make any kid "fair game". That's just nuts.

I coached high school, for more than 15 years, in Greater Victoria - so thanks for the hack.

If you actually read my post you will see that I was stating fact, not an opinion.

If you want an opinion... mine is simple... I don't like recruiting, nor do I encourage it.

I wasn't saying I agree with it at all. I truly don't. It does not make it right in anyway, shape or form. The fact is, under the rules that are structured right now; well let's just say they need more teeth as this is happening way too much. There also needs to be some hard and fast rules about communication with kids – have a 3rd party do it cannot be allowed. Dropping hints, all the innuendos - it also cannot be allowed. It needs to stop.

If a coach openly recruits a player like asking them to come to their school, even as a grade 9, the coach will be toast. But there a lot of ways a player can be "nudged" without crossing the current lines and that is how people do it. Is it right under a 'letter of the law'... well... it's a grey area... charcoal in fact. Once a player is in grade 10, if they switch schools there is a good chance they will lose a year of eligibility.

I started a club league in Victoria several years back but it was with a coach of a program, coaching his OWN kids there were from his OWN program. Not a group from somewhere else. In Victoria there used to be “league” that offered something to both boys and girls where kids entered as individuals and then were put on teams. Then a coach was given a team made up of players from all over. I saw, and heard about, a lot of recruiting. That was my one and only year in that "league". That is why I started the club league where TEAMS were formed with players ALL FROM ONE PROGRAM. Then there were far less issues with recruiting. I still saw some parents form teams and try to build all-star teams with players from around Greater Victoria (this I did not encourage).

Lyle Dhur
Sportvictoria
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
baller1000

PostSubject: Re: Big trouble for Burnaby South   Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:41 pm

From BC School Sports. Seems like there are plenty of "teeth".

Competitive Rules & Regulations
PART B: COACH'S RESPONSIBILITIES
Section B1: RECRUITING
BCSS is strongly opposed to the recruiting of student-athletes. Recruiting runs contrary to
BCSS’s longstanding commitment to the principle that interschool athletic competition best
serves the overall interests of student-athletes by being fair and balanced.
B1.1 RULES PROHIBITING RECRUITING
B1.1.1 No coach, administrator, athletic director or athletic coordinator shall,
either directly or indirectly, recruit a student-athlete.
B1.1.2 For the purposes of these Competitive Rules and Regulations, to recruit
is to encourage a student-athlete to attend a school other than the
school into which the student-athlete’s school feeds, for the purpose
of participating in interschool sport, whether or not the student-athlete
eventually attends the school.
B1.1.3 Without limiting the generality of B1.1.2, the following are deemed to be
instances of recruiting:
a) permitting a student-athlete who is not enrolled at a given school or
whose current school does not feed into the school to participate in
(i) team practices, workouts, camps, competition, meetings, travel,
or other team activities, or
(ii) open gyms, workouts, or similar activities intended for studentathletes
enrolled at the school, without the prior agreement of the
student-athlete’s current school.
b) offering financial inducements or incentives of any kind, including,
without restricting the foregoing, inducements or incentives
concerning fees, accommodation or transportation, to a studentathlete
who is not enrolled at a given school or whose current school
does not feed into the school, in connection with a transfer by the
student-athlete to the school for the purpose of participating in
interschool sport.
c) encouraging a parent or legal guardian of a student-athlete who is
not enrolled at a given school or whose current school does not feed
into the school, to transfer the student-athlete to the school for the
purpose of participating in interschool sport.
d) inviting student-athletes who are not enrolled at a given school or
whose school does not feed into the school, or the parents or legal
guardians of such student-athletes, to attend an information session,
open house, fundraising meeting, or similar event of which the primary
purpose is the promotion of the school’s interschool athletic team(s) or
program(s).
B1.1.4 Where a coach is approached by a student-athlete who is not enrolled
at the coach’s school or at a school feeding into the coach’s school with
inquiries concerning the school’s sports teams or programs, the coach is
strongly advised to direct the student-athlete to the school administration.
B1.2 PROCEDURE FOR COMPLAINTS REGARDING RECRUITING
B1.2.1 Nothing in these Competitive Rules and Regulations prevents parties
from attempting at any time to resolve complaints regarding recruiting
through informal means, whether with or without the assistance of a
mediator.
BCSS may maintain a roster of persons available to act as mediators
for the purpose of assisting parties informally to resolve complaints

A member coach who is a member of a professional association and who
believes a fellow member of that association has committed a recruiting
violation is encouraged to consider his or her obligations to the fellow
member, if any, under the rules of that association.
In all cases, BCSS encourages the informal resolution of recruiting
concerns through direct communication.
B1.2.2 A complaint regarding recruiting may:
(a) be filed only by an administrator (“the complainant”) of a member
school; and
(b) be filed against one or more coaches, administrators, athletic
directors, or athletic coordinators (“the respondent(s)”) of a member
school.
B1.2.3 Subject to B1.2.4, a complaint regarding recruiting shall not be
considered unless it is received by BCSS within four (4) months of the
event giving rise to the complaint.
B1.2.4 A complaint received after the time provided in B1.2.3 must contain a
detailed explanation of the reasons why the complaint was not submitted
within that time and may only be considered if, in the sole discretion
of the Executive Director, it would be in the interests of BCSS for the
complaint to be considered.
B1.2.5 Before submitting a complaint to BCSS, the complainant must deliver
the complaint to his or her administrative counterpart at the school of the
respondent(s).
B1.2.6 In submitting a complaint to BCSS, the complainant must certify in
writing that he or she has contacted his or her counterpart, naming the
counterpart, and that:
(a) the parties have been unable to resolve the complaint; or,
(b) in the complainant’s opinion, the complaint is sufficiently serious to
warrant a hearing by BCSS.
B1.2.7 A complaint delivered or submitted under these Competitive Rules and
Regulations must be submitted to the Executive Director and must:
(a) be in the form approved by BCSS;
(b) name the respondent(s);
(c) where a deemed instance of recruiting is alleged, cite the specific
deeming section under B1.1.3;
(d) contain particulars of the date(s), location(s), and individual(s)
involved in the event(s) giving rise to the complaint;
(e) contain particulars of the alleged statement(s) or action(s) of the
respondent(s); and,
(f) contain a written statement with as much detail as reasonably
possible by each person whose evidence the complainant wishes
BCSS to consider in connection with the complaint.
B1.2.8 Upon receipt of a complaint, the Executive Director shall review the
complaint for compliance with these Competitive Rules and Regulations.
The Executive Director may make inquiries of the complainant and may
request that the complainant submit additional information.
B1.2.9 The Executive Director may at any time dismiss a complaint where he or
she is of the opinion that:
(a) the complaint does not fall within the jurisdiction of BCSS;
(b) the complaint does not contain sufficient information that, if true,
would substantiate the complaint;
(c) the complainant failed to respond to the Executive Director’s inquiries
or requests under B1.2.8; or,
(d) the complaint is frivolous, vexatious or made in bad faith.

B1.2.10 Unless the Executive Director dismisses a complaint under B1.2.9,
he or she shall deliver the complaint to the respondent(s) and to the
administrator at the respondent(s)’s school referred to in B1.2.6, together
with a statement of the respondent(s)’s obligations under B1.2.11.
B1.2.11 Within fifteen (15) school days of receipt of the complaint from the
Executive Director, the respondent(s) shall submit a response to the
Executive Director containing the following:
(a) a statement either that the respondent(s) accepts or denies the
complaint in whole or in part; and,
(b) where the respondent(s) denies the complaint or any part of it, a
written statement with as much detail as reasonably possible by each
person whose evidence the respondent(s) wishes BCSS to consider
in connection with the complaint.
B1.2.12 The Executive Director may make inquiries of the respondent(s) and may
request that the respondent(s) submit additional information.
B1.2.13 The respondent(s) may request from the Executive Director an extension
of the time allowed for a response under B1.2.11.
B1.2.14 Where the respondent(s) fails to provide a response within the time
provided under B1.2.11 or B1.2.13, the complaint may proceed under
B1.2.20 on the basis that the complaint has been proven.
B1.2.15 Upon receipt of a response from the respondent(s) or upon the expiry
of the time provided for a response, the Executive Director shall deliver
a copy of the response, if any, to the complainant and shall appoint a
Hearing Panel comprised of three (3) members of the BCSS Disciplinary
Committee. If it is not possible to appoint three (3) members from the
Disciplinary Committee, the Executive Director may appoint members
from the BCSS Board of Directors.
B1.2.16 The Hearing Panel may request written submissions from the parties at
any time.
B1.2.17 The Hearing Panel shall conduct a hearing into the complaint. A hearing
may take the form of one or more of the following in the sole discretion of
the Hearing Panel:
(a) a hearing in writing consisting of a consideration of the written
complaint and response and written submissions, if any;
(b) a teleconference;
(c) an oral hearing.
B1.2.18 The Hearing Panel may make such rulings and give such directions as it
considers appropriate in dealing with a complaint.
B1.2.19 Following the hearing, the Hearing Panel will issue a ruling to the parties
determining whether the complaint has been proven or not.
B1.2.20 If the Hearing Panel determines that the complaint has been proven:
(a) the ruling shall be in writing and shall contain a brief summary of the
reasons for the Hearing Panel’s conclusions;
(b) the Hearing Panel shall request and set a schedule for the exchange
and submission of written submissions on the appropriate sanction;
(c) having regard to the subject matter of the proven complaint, the
interests of BCSS and its participants, the written submissions, if
any, of the parties, and the prior BCSS disciplinary record of the
respondent(s), if any, the Hearing Panel shall either impose no
sanction or impose one or more of the following sanctions on the
respondent(s) in its sole discretion:
(i) a letter of reprimand;
(ii) a probationary period;
(iii) a suspension of the respondent(s)’s coaching privileges for a
duration and on such terms and conditions as may be determinedby the Hearing Panel; and,(d) subject to the results of an appeal under B1.2.21, if the Hearing
Panel acts under B1.2.20(c)(i) to (iii), there shall be a fine against the
respondent(s)’s school calculated as follows and payable within thirty
(30) school days of a written demand being made by the Executive
Director:
- $1,000.00 if no recruiting fine against school in past five (5) years
- $2,000.00 if one (1) recruiting fine against school in past five (5)
years
- $3,000.00 if more than one (1) recruiting fine against school in past
five (5) years.
B1.2.21 Where a Hearing Panel acts under B1.2.20(c)(i) to (iii), the respondent(s)
may, within fourteen (14) school days of receipt of the ruling of the
Hearing Panel by the respondent(s)’s school, appeal in writing to the
BCSS President, who may in his or her sole discretion and with or
without a hearing and with or without giving reasons dismiss the appeal,
reduce the sanction under B1.2.20(c), or reverse the Hearing Panel’s
ruling, in whole or in part, under B1.2.20(a).
B1.2.22 Where the Executive Director is unable to act under this section, his or
her powers and duties may be exercised by a substitute appointed by the
President.
B1.2.23 Where the President is unable to act under this section, his or her powers
and duties may be exercised by a substitute appointed by the Executive
Director.
B1.2.24 The decisions of the Executive Director (or substitute), the Hearing Panel
and the President (or substitute) are final and binding on the parties and
shall not be questioned or reviewed in any court or tribunal, and no order
shall be made or process entered or proceeding taken in any court or
tribunal whether by way of injunction, declaration, prohibition or otherwise
to question, review, prohibit or restrain the proceedings.
It is the intention of BCSS and its members that, to the extent permitted
by law, all matters concerning its Competitive Rules and Regulations be
private matters not subject to any form of adjudication by any court or
tribunal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach Mat

PostSubject: fines$$$   Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:41 pm

The SBMC eagles will pay those fines no problem and keep on keeping on...lol The complaint is only instances that can be proven and its a damn long list. Its been going on for years and everybody knows it. The dude was calling Africa for a kid one year.
I hope they get the death penalty, no sports for 2 years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachb

PostSubject: Re: Big trouble for Burnaby South   Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:54 pm

So face facts there are several high school coaches or associates around the lower mainland that run club teams/leagues at early levels. From Surrey, Pitt Meadows, Port Coquitlam, Burnaby etc. Is it recruiting when these young players chose to switch catchment areas to play with their "new buddies" from these high school programs? Too much it seems some coaches want their "cake" but get really offended when others seem to be getting more. Here the coach from one school who has been very vocal about players being able to chose even when they are past grade 10 cries foul one another. Several coaches have been trying to change this through various proposals but have been defeated.
Look around something needs to change.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballinismyhobby

PostSubject: Re: Big trouble for Burnaby South   Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:10 am

Theres no way Burnaby South gets affected by this it never happeneds they should though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pistolpete

PostSubject: Re: Big trouble for Burnaby South   Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:27 pm

hahaha! thats hilarious!

wayne best of all ppl complaining about recruiting!!!

"hello pot, meet kettle" Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
outlawpete

PostSubject: Re: Big trouble for Burnaby South   Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:20 am

Who drives Manroop to school everyday, can ya hear me?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nextgreatcoach

PostSubject: Re: Big trouble for Burnaby South   Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:41 am

Last edited by nextgreatcoach on Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kit Kat

PostSubject: Re: Big trouble for Burnaby South   Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:16 am

nextgreatcoach wrote:
outlawpete wrote:
Who drives Manroop to school everyday, can ya hear me?

His brother who else....

His brother Jason?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nextgreatcoach

PostSubject: Re: Big trouble for Burnaby South   Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:29 am

Last edited by nextgreatcoach on Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JLivingston

PostSubject: Re: Big trouble for Burnaby South   Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:05 pm

whatever said and done, it is becoming invasion into his privacy and not nice to talk about mode of transportation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nextgreatcoach

PostSubject: Re: Big trouble for Burnaby South   Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:58 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
eagleball

PostSubject: Re: Big trouble for Burnaby South   Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:35 pm

Everybody cheats so what's wrong with it? The byrne coach cheated? Everybody keeps saying this which is a joke i guess if you cheat all you have to do is deny it or point the finger at somebosy else and everything is all good. Go rebels
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kit Kat

PostSubject: Re: Big trouble for Burnaby South   Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:29 am

JLivingston wrote:
whatever said and done, it is becoming invasion into his privacy and not nice to talk about mode of transportation.

interschool sport.

It appears that mode of transportation is in fact an issue that is being looked into. One of many for the "Rebels".

And no, not everyone cheats. There are coaches out there who do believe in fair play.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachb

PostSubject: Re: Big trouble for Burnaby South   Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:04 am

interschool sport.

Yet the above does not apply to private schools that waive tuition for athletes? Seems like different sets of rules apply.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller1000

PostSubject: Re: Big trouble for Burnaby South   Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:31 am

coachb wrote:

Yet the above does not apply to private schools that waive tuition for athletes? Seems like different sets of rules apply.

Unlike the above comment by coachb, this discussion topic is about an actual complaint made by an actual coach against a specifically named school concerning specifically named players.

If a private school or schools is actually doing what is suggested, it would be a lot easier to prove than the complaint against South. Yet, despite the insinuation of coachb, there is no complaint.

coachb, stop beating a dead horse and ignoring facts. If you have some specific information about a specific school, put it forward. Otherwise, keep your allegations, which try to cast all private schools under a cloud, to yourself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Big trouble for Burnaby South   Today at 3:15 pm

Back to top Go down

Big trouble for Burnaby South
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next