HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Jr Ball thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
old guy

PostSubject: jr ball thread   Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:38 am

I also agree with Ballaz top five. One word of caution though. There are a couple of teams out there that are improving as the season progresses, but St Petes isn't one of them. They look exactly the same as at the first of the year. They have one excellent player on their first line, one hot dog with some "interresting (idiotic) moves" a couple of pretty good followers with some skills, but that's it. If anyone on the first line gets hurt, they are toast. They have no depth whatsoever and are not developing any of their bench, or improving even marginally. They might be in for a shock if they meet one of those teams that are improving, even with their first line playing the whole game. And even if they make it to the finals, what about next year? With absolutely no development and all of their grade 10s moving on to the senior team (if they have one) they will definitly be in a world of hurt.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDi

PostSubject: Re: Jr Ball thread   Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:30 pm

Quote :
1. St. Petes
2-5 St. Matts, Louis Riel, SRB, SH (order still to be determined)
6. Lisgar
7. Hillcrest
8. St. Joes
9. Ridgemont
10. Woodroffe/Merivale

St.Joes had a huge win against SRB, by 10 points and they have also already defeated Hillcrest before. To have them in the eighth spot just does not make
much sense. I have yet too see Lisgar play but i agree with the rest of the list.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballplayer

PostSubject: Re: Jr Ball thread   Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:58 pm

1. St. Petes-one game loss but was bit of a fluke, no offense to the other team.
2. St. Matts- beat louis riel, sacred heart, sir robert borden, so they get number two spot until one of these teams knocks them off.
3.Louis Riel-gave both of the teams above the best game
4. Sacred Heart\ SRB- don't know if they've played yet so i wont give them a definite spot.
5.Hillcrest-Athletic, but not fundamental
6.St. Joes-good all around team, not much height.
7.Lisgar??
8.Ridgemont??
9.Woodroffe???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
J.D_13

PostSubject: Re: Jr Ball thread   Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:14 pm

i think st.matts is a great team and willl shock some teams in the playoffs but st.petes on the other hand is a very good squad and they are very talented especially the first 5 and louis riel is another great team with the best front court with raph and christian all 3 of the teams have a chance at the city championship i think all 3 can beat eachother
st.joes and srb actually gave st.matts some trouble in the ashbury tournament so i think those are some pretty good teams srb has a big man thats very strong downlow and gets deep post position also i dont think sacred heart is that good i only saw one player stand out so i dont know why they are ranked so high ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hmm

PostSubject: Re: Jr Ball thread   Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:18 pm

J.D_13 wrote:
........ i dont think sacred heart is that good i only saw one player stand out so i dont know why they are ranked so high ?

It is simple.
They r the only team with 6-0 record now. We'll finish 8-0. LOL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
J.D_13

PostSubject: Re: Jr Ball thread   Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:57 pm

but there not very good....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Jr Ball thread   Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:30 am

SH plays SRB on Monday which should decide first place for the division. I would be careful in suggesting that either team has this game on lock. SRB has the better interior game and SH has the better perimeter game. If SH is hitting their shots, they have a good shot at winning the game. If not, SRB has a huge advantage. It is going to be a great game either way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballplayer

PostSubject: Re: Jr Ball thread   Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:42 pm

hmm wrote:
J.D_13 wrote:
........ i dont think sacred heart is that good i only saw one player stand out so i dont know why they are ranked so high ?

It is simple.
They r the only team with 6-0 record now. We'll finish 8-0. LOL

In season games they have a succesful record but they can't move up the list as they lost to each one above them...the only changes that could be made for SH is to get the definite spot of number 4 if they beat SRB
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachJ

PostSubject: Re: Jr Ball thread   Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:52 pm

SH has only played St. Matts in the finals at Ashbury and controlled most of that game even though they did lose at the end. The team ran out of steam as they were missing some key players and had a short bench. Other than that team they haven't faced the other top teams. SRB will have a problem with SH as they have been having a lot of trouble with some of the weaker teams in the division ( 4 point win over HT) and the loss to St. Joes. The outside players are the better players but the inside guys can play some pretty good defense. SH hasn't been pushed a hell of a lot yet this year. The game with SRB should be a good one but the playoffs will be where SH may shine a lot more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Jr Ball thread   Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:18 pm

I believe that SRB was missing two starters for the two games you mention. One of them was probably their best defender and the other was their power forward who takes alot of pressure off their centre and gets rebounds and much needed points in the paint. These are not meant to be excuses as you play with the players that show up, but it was a reality that likely won't happen in the playoffs for SRB.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aceforever

PostSubject: Re: Jr Ball thread   Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:41 am

well people will get their answer with respect to SRB vs SH on Monday as the 2 clash in the first day back from exams. Should be a good one and decide the #1 seed in the Far West.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
old guy

PostSubject: jr ball thread   Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:30 pm

My son watched the St Pete Loouis Riel game. LR won 50 - 35. As I said ST Pete is not improving. LR has a great team, very stroneg under the net and disciplined. St Pete depends on Daniel too much. The remainder of their starting linup just trys to get him the ball. They are pretty weak without him. They do have one very skilled big man who doesn't play, I suspect because he is in grade 9 student, or maybe he is a trouble maker and is benched a lot, I don't know, but from what I see from the 2 or 3 minutes he does play, he is pretty damn good and a wasted asset. I think St Pete will come in at least fourth in the city after LR, Sacred Heart and St Matt .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hmm

PostSubject: Re: Jr Ball thread   Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:53 pm

J.D_13 wrote:
but there not very good....

Do u still have any questions about SH junior bball after last Monday huge victory over SRB.

Please define "but not very good"

SH will be the ONLY team with 8-0 record over season. If this is not very good I would belive in santa
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aceforever

PostSubject: Re: Jr Ball thread   Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:38 am

SH have 2 top players and with one being a pg and the other being a lights out 3 point shooter they can certainly beat anyone in the city on any given day.

What makes that win so big is that they get to avoid St Joe in what should be the semi finals of the west. Despite St Joes record, they have had some tight losses and some big time wins in league play and tourney.

I would expect 3 of the 4 West semis to be SH, SRB and Joe with EOM having a pretty strong shot at the 4th spot. Just like last year, the FW seems to be the class out West.

In the east, certainly seems like a LR vs St Pete final. I don't think that St Matt's can make up enough to take either out and noone else seems really of their level or am I missing out on someone?

St Matt will get LR in a semi and have no height to handle the bigs of the Red machine and although Lisgar and Hill have done well, I don't think either can stop Daniel.

The question is, can the St Pete coaching staff fix what went wrong in their last meeting with LR?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheBall Guru

PostSubject: Playoffs   Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:47 pm

Any Underdogs?
Glebe looks like a team that might pull off an upset their hot and have played well against good competition such as Sh which they lost by 4 points
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AaronBrooks

PostSubject: Re: Jr Ball thread   Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:03 pm

What are da playoff formats ???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aceforever

PostSubject: Re: Jr Ball thread   Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:45 pm

top 2 n east and west get a by and then 3 plays 6, 4 vs 5 to get us to quarters.

It'll be interesting to see the tie breakers work cause in the Far west there are 4 teams tied for 4th to 7th. I'm pretty sure that points against is the first tie breaker but I may be wrong. If I calculated it all right I think that St Joe will miss the playoffs which seems insane since I thought that they were top 3 team in the West just a couple of weeks ago.

One interesting thing to follow is that LR lost to St Matts and they are headed for a semi final match up out there. An upset could really shake things up as more and more talk has been that LR were the team to beat and both St Matts and St Pete's had weaknesses that some could expose.

Certainly should be interesting, it all gets started up next Tuesday
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AaronBrooks

PostSubject: Re: Jr Ball thread   Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:30 pm

Aceforever wrote:

It'll be interesting to see the tie breakers work cause in the Far west there are 4 teams tied for 4th to 7th. I'm pretty sure that points against is the first tie breaker but I may be wrong. If I calculated it all right I think that St Joe will miss the playoffs which seems insane since I thought that they were top 3 team in the West just a couple of weeks ago.

4th,5th and 6th in the far west make it through the playoffs right ? If its points against, South Carleton has 431 pts, so why is St Joes the team eliminated, unless its not top 6
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aceforever

PostSubject: Re: Jr Ball thread   Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:53 pm

I believe that they use pts against to break the tie till they have 2 left in which case the last 2 are st joe and SC and SC won their match to make it in.

I may be totally off though. They may have to do a play in game or something, really not sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Jr Ball thread   Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:34 pm

We never eliminate teams on tiebreaker rules. If the top six make it and there are two teams tied for that last playoff spot, they will have a play in game for the right to be in the playoffs regardless of how they did against each other or plus/minus etc. Now if there are three teams tied for two final spots, the tie breaker rules will be in effect to figure out who gets fifth and then the remaining two teams will play each other to see who gets the final spot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aceforever

PostSubject: Re: Jr Ball thread   Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:15 am

right, forgot about that. Should be a Joe vs SC for the last spot then I think.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aceforever

PostSubject: Re: Jr Ball thread   Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:33 pm

so the schedule is out and as suspected, SC and St Joe have to play each other for the 6th spot in the playoffs.

The winner plays glebe for the right to play SRB in the quarters. Brookfield plays HT with the winner getting Wood.

St FX plays Des with winner getting SH

franco and bell have a play in to get to the prelim vs EOM and the winner playing Mer.

looks likely that we'll have

SRB vs HT in one semi
SH vs EOM in the other

teh far west seems like the class again this season as it was last season when the semi finals was all FW teams.

In the east

SG plays St Matt
Ridge vs LBP
GL vs De La Salle
CB vs Mac

I don't see anythign other then a
LR vs St Matt semi and a
St Pete vs Lisgar semi

thoughts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachjazz

PostSubject: Re: Jr Ball thread   Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:13 pm

watch out for Deslaurier and merival , they might make some noise this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aceforever

PostSubject: Re: Jr Ball thread   Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:09 pm

agreed on Mer, haven't seen Desl so can't comment. Mer has a nice pg and a real post presence so they certainly can but EOM is no slouch and feel that they may have too much for Mer but not sure if they ever met this year
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller29

PostSubject: Re: Jr Ball thread   Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:34 am

Again how did colonel by make tier 1 when they lost all there games and why did make playoffs when they didn't even win 1 game? And last in there standings
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jr Ball thread   Today at 4:50 pm

Back to top Go down

Jr Ball thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next