HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Vanocuver Junior Boys City Championships

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
coach fabio

PostSubject: Vanocuver Junior Boys City Championships   Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:16 pm

It is that time of year again! The cities are right around the corner!

Here is the draw:
all games played at churchill.

1. 3:30 Sir Charles Tupper vs Point Grey
2. 5:00 Churchill vs David Thompson
3. 6:30 Kitsilano vs Brittania
4. 8:00 Lord Byng vs Killarny

Loser of 1 plays loser of 2 (3:30)
loser of 3 plays loser of 4 (5:00)
winner of 1 plays winner of 2 (6:30)
winner of 3 plays winner of 4(8:00)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach E

PostSubject: Re: Vanocuver Junior Boys City Championships   Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:53 am

Any predictions on whos going to finish 1st/2nd, 3rd/4th, 5th/6th, 7th/8th?

First- Kitsilano
Second- Churchill
Third- Byng (or Tupper)
Fourth- David Thompson
Fifth- Tupper (or Byng)
Sixth- Point Grey
Seventh- Britannia
Eigth- Killarney
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach fabio

PostSubject: Re: Vanocuver Junior Boys City Championships   Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:07 pm

My prediction is:

1. Kitsilano
2. Churchill(or tupper)
3. Tupper (or Churchill)
4. Byng
5. David Thompson
6. Point Grey
7. Killarny
8. Brittania

* The reason that I give tupper a chance of upsetting churchill is they just played eachother at the David thompson tournament and tupper may have good game plan ready for churchill if they meet in the semis. Based on what I know it was a close game between tupp and churchill, so I wouldn't be shocked if tupper meets Kits in the finals. But only time will tell! Good luck to all teams!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cj35

PostSubject: Re: Vanocuver Junior Boys City Championships   Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:32 pm

I think the way the draw is set up there is only a top 6. The semi finalists = top 4 and winner of the consolation = 5th

Also I think coach Dykstra from Churchill is a bit too seasoned to show everything they have to all the east side teams at the DT tournament. I wouldn't overestimate Tupper nor underestimate Churchill based on that tournament.

A better question is if Tupper has been able to compete with a top 20 team in BC this year. If so, then perhaps it might be a game...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach E

PostSubject: Re: Vanocuver Junior Boys City Championships   Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:30 pm

Tupper barely beat St.Patricks and St Pats never had their whole team there either. Killarney almost beat Churchill aswell in the first round so then I don't think that Tupper is too different from Killarney at all. Britannia is just not that good compared to other East teams. DT is playing Churchill today in the finals and seems to be the best team on the east for reaching the finals. Should be a good game!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach fabio

PostSubject: Re: Vanocuver Junior Boys City Championships   Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:43 pm

Havent seen tupper play that much that is why I am uncertain, I don't think making it to the finals of there own tournament proves DT to be the best in the east because they had an easy draw, that being said I have seen them play once or twice and they are quite a off and on team (in my opinion) so if they on are there game it could be an interesting final tonight and an even more interesting cities next week! Good Luck!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach E

PostSubject: Re: Vanocuver Junior Boys City Championships   Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:31 pm

^Well said. They never had an easy draw though. Having Britannia in the first round of your own tournament is not really considered an "easy" game. By the way does anybody know about the all star game?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketball77

PostSubject: Re: Vanocuver Junior Boys City Championships   Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:17 pm

Tupper barely beat St. Pats yet came within 2 in the 4th quarter against Churchill? Seems pretty weird to me. Anyone know any information on Tupper this year? Any notable players or anything special about this team? From what i heard they don't have size and no players in club (unless someone can prove me wrong). Can they compete with other provincial teams? Just curious..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopnharm

PostSubject: Re: Vanocuver Junior Boys City Championships   Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:32 pm

Tupper has solid guard play. No real standouts. Not much size, but the team as a whole is quick.

There isn't a whole lot separating any of the East playoff teams.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller87

PostSubject: Re: Vanocuver Junior Boys City Championships   Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:12 am

basketball77 wrote:
Tupper barely beat St. Pats yet came within 2 in the 4th quarter against Churchill? Seems pretty weird to me. Anyone know any information on Tupper this year? Any notable players or anything special about this team? From what i heard they don't have size and no players in club (unless someone can prove me wrong). Can they compete with other provincial teams? Just curious..

They do have a few players playing club. Tallest player is I think by the name of yashu or something. He too can be very off and on at times. The guard is very solid, not sure of name. They arent the biggest team, but work very well as a team. Not sure Ive seen/heard about them playing other top ranked teams... any well else know about who tupper has played.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach E

PostSubject: Re: Vanocuver Junior Boys City Championships   Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:51 am

Tupper is not even close to being ranked. They lose to teams like Killarney, DT, Brit, and some teams at nsit. They barely beat St Pats. They are just well disciplined and coached.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aznballer

PostSubject: Re: Vanocuver Junior Boys City Championships   Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:22 am

Tt says on the site tupper only lost twice, i believe it was to killarney and Brit. I don't know why everyone is saying d.t is good they only got one player and they aren't great fundamentally. I thought Tupper wasn't in the Nsit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach E

PostSubject: Re: Vanocuver Junior Boys City Championships   Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:46 am

Tupper was in the nsit, dt does only have one player #7, they just try to get him open and let him iso with his man which is usually a big man who he can beat easily off the dribble but against tupper he couldn't do anything becuase Tupper played zone. They are inconsistent and aren't well coached. Tupper in my opinion is a little better. They are well coached but dont have any notable players. If your playing Tupper you cant really do too much because they are just too quick. DT all you have to do is stop kanwar and their nothing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach fabio

PostSubject: Re: Vanocuver Junior Boys City Championships   Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:43 pm

It's the first round and we have already had one upset!

Point Grey( west 4) beat Tupper( east 1) by 9!

other scores are:

Kits over brittania by 26
Churchill over David Thompson by atleast 20

Byng and Killary are in action right now and it looked as if byng was going to run away with it.

If byng can pull out the win over killarny then we will have an all west final four!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cj35

PostSubject: Re: Vanocuver Junior Boys City Championships   Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:11 am

Results from the Semi Final Round

Churchill beats PG in one semi final

Kits beats Byng in the other semi final.

Both in convincing fashion.

Kits vs Churchill in the Vancouver City Championships

Kits looks tough to beat and is a favourite to win the city championship even though it's going to be in Churchill's gym.

The loser faces VC for a provincial berth.

I predict:

1. Kits
2. Churchill
3. Lord Byng
4. Point Grey

Kits and VC for provincial berths.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach E

PostSubject: Re: Vanocuver Junior Boys City Championships   Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:02 am

Feb 23rd Results

Wasn't here to watch but this is just what I hear from sources

Game 1 - DT - Tupper
DT takes it from the start. Highlights were #7 Kanwar on DT got around 40 points and on Tupper it was #31 (not sure what his name is) scoring around 15 points. DT manhandled Tupper from what I heard by around 30 points.

Game 2 - Killarney - Britannia
Very exciting game especially in the last few minutes. Brit was down 11 in the last 2 minutes and made it a one point game with 20 seconds left. Noma Obaseki on Brit drove to the hoop and got fouled. Unfortanately missed both free throws. Killarney gets fouled and misses both free throws. Brit calls a time out and their coach draws up an isolation play for #7 Henry Pham on Brit. With 5 seconds left Pham decides to do a step back 3 pointer and misses. Great effort from the Bruins but just came up short!

Game 3 - Churchill - Point Grey
Was Churchill up by a few baskets from the start and continued to pull away near towards the end. Churchill seemed as if they had a lot of depth coming off the bench and was making a lot of subsitutions. Point grey was a 5 man game most of the game. Point Grey didn't seem to talented, mostly just great shooters and good defence couldn't really handle the ball though. From what seemed to be a blowout for Churchill turned out to be not that bad at all with Point Grey only losing by 10-20. PG showed great heart!

Game 4 - Kitsilano - Byng
Similar to the PG-Churchill game it was really predictable what was going to happen. Kits from the start and finishing the game with the win by quite a lot. Leading scorers were Tom Campbell and Abu Kamat both with around 15 points.

Tomorrow is going to be

Game 1 at 3:30 - DT vs Killarney (4th/6th place game and going to decide which team is the best East Van team)
Game 2 at 5:00 - Byng vs Point Grey (3rd/5th place game)
Game 3 at 6:30 - Churchill vs Kitsilano (Championship game and will be a very very close game. Kitsilano is favoured to win after never losing a game to Churchill ever since Grade 8. Churchill might take it this yeah in my opinion because of the home court)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cj35

PostSubject: Re: Vanocuver Junior Boys City Championships   Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:14 am

Actually Coach E, according to the draw, the winner of the consolation round is the 5th place team.

The winner of the PG / Byng game is 3rd and the loser 4th.

Although none of those really matter....for all intents and purposes there is no provincial berth or city championship at stake.

Not sure what kind of team would celebrate a 3rd 4th or 5th place finish.

Good luck to Kits and Churchill!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bruce

PostSubject: Re: Vanocuver Junior Boys City Championships   Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:24 pm

Mindy minhas well deserved tournament MVP and will be interesting to see if kits can squeeze a way into the bcs next week !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach fabio

PostSubject: Re: Vanocuver Junior Boys City Championships   Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:00 pm

Churchill 52 Kitsilano 49

Churchill came out fired up and ready to play with their home croud behind them, as they jumped out to a
7-0 lead. At the start it seemed as if kits was playing to much one on one ball and just looking for the refs to make the call, which they weren't. At the end of the half Churchill was up by 9. Churchill widend the lead to 11 in third but Kits came battling back taking a 4 point lead, as they were on fire from 3 point land. From that point on it was a back and fourth battle with churchill being up by 2 with 9 seconds left. Kits will claim they were fouled on their shot to tie the game but at the end of the day it wasn't called and with 0.3 seconds remaining and mindy at the foul line everyone in the gym knew that there was a new city champion!(mindy made one of the free throws to make it a 3 point game). Kits had no timeouts left had a baseball throw from the opposite end of the court was no good the game was over and Churchill were the champions!

In my opinion the crowd was the differnce in the game. Apart from the players parents the crowd was filled with churchill fans, taunting the Kits players throughout the game showing their school spirit. Whenever Kits was at the fouline you would he chants of "choke choke choke" and that is exactly what Kits did they went a horrific 2-15 from the line!(approximently) That was the difference in the game.

All in all I tip my hat to Churchill, great win and good luck in victoria!

Monday night Kits vs VC for a provincial berth my sources are telling me that the game will be played at either Prince of Wales or Chuchill at 5:30 but the time and location have not been decided on yet. Should be a good one!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lefon Jang

PostSubject: Kits vs VC   Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:05 am

With a little less than two minutes left and the game was tied at 48, VC put in two bench players that each has an average of no more than 5 minutes of playing time in the regular season. Their inexperience really showed. I don’t understand why they would sit out their key players at such a crucial junction of the game; simply poor strategy coming down the stretch. What were they thinking?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sim

PostSubject: Re: Vanocuver Junior Boys City Championships   Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:18 am

Was anybody else at the game?? Did the players foul out for the substitutions to occur??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vanocuver Junior Boys City Championships   Today at 4:37 am

Back to top Go down

Vanocuver Junior Boys City Championships
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1