HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Best JV Boys Team In The Province?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hoopies

PostSubject: Best JV Boys Team In The Province?   Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:58 pm

Any thoughts on Junior Varsity boys basketball teams this year?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballforlife99

PostSubject: Re: Best JV Boys Team In The Province?   Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:18 pm

I think that CCH has the most skill and is the top team in the league followed by the Cardston Cougars.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: Best JV Boys Team In The Province?   Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:12 pm

Well if CCHS has the most skill they have not used it as they have not beat Cardston yet!!!
I love how one CCHS jv player asks the question and then another answers it to bring attention to themselves!!!
Go play ball boys!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
treyfactor

PostSubject: Re: Best JV Boys Team In The Province?   Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:07 am

how many of cchs jv players float and play on the sr team as well and are getting major minutes? I don't think anyone does on Cardstons. I would think if you were that good to get major minutes on the sr team why would you play on the jv team... win at all costs?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: Best JV Boys Team In The Province?   Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:52 am

Just a note Edmonton does not allow JV to play up for more than 2 games, if they do they stay on the sr team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
treyfactor

PostSubject: Re: Best JV Boys Team In The Province?   Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:39 pm

Well if you look on CCH roster there is at least 5 floaters and 2 of them are 6th/7th men on the sr team.......
Win at all costs...
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Best JV Boys Team In The Province?   Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:50 pm

JV is hard to compare across the province. Tournaments are generally regional and because its more developmental based and used to support and feed the varsity squads, many programs use jv games to get more minutes for grade 11 players from varsity. From game to game and tournament to tournament you could have completely different players competing from the same team. I have seen quite a few games in Calgary and the south zone and I try to keep track of players in this age group but to make a provincial comparison is difficult.

In the South, Cardston is by far the deepest team. Justin Folsum leads a very solid group and the program is run very well. A good example of football cross-over and the importance of athleticism. Catholic Central is probably the next closest team and the Pasquotti kid controls the entire game for them. The light is always green. They have a couple athletic wing players but it drops off after that. Crescent Heights and McCoy could also be considered but they use so many senior players that its hard to really get a read on them from game to game.

In Calgary, St. Mary's has to be considered one of, if not the favorite. The Genesis guard is so much more athletic and quick than everyone else in grade 10 but I understand that he turns 18 this year which says a lot. McNally is also up there and Nick and Tony lead a very quick, skilled group but they're also a little undersized. Tony could be the best grade 10 player in the province but his age also helps. Bishop Grandin and BOB are also in the mix and those programs should stay strong at the varsity level next year with these guys moving up.

From south central zone Cochrane has to be the heavy favorite. I know they have a couple dominant provincial players in centre Jacob Molton and guard Chace Neilsen. Canmore could be next and have a big athletic 6'7" centre and guard Max Gillis who is strong and shoots the ball well. The foothills league is fairly even and no one really stands out.

I don't know anything about central. I haven't seen any teams play and I don't how they compare.

In Edmonton, Bev Facey is the team to beat in the Metro Premier League. Connor Rawson and Jack Romaniuk do everything. HA and Strathcona are both really deep and are by themselves in the public in what should be a real battle.

I don't know about any teams north of edmonton.
Back to top Go down
2 Fresh

PostSubject: Ages of JV players   Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:34 pm

Is that a true comment about the Genesis player and is how old is Tony. I hear people throw this stuff out all the time is there really any truth to. In Grade 10 should kids typically be born in 1995 or later

CYDC wrote:
JV is hard to compare across the province. Tournaments are generally regional and because its more developmental based and used to support and feed the varsity squads, many programs use jv games to get more minutes for grade 11 players from varsity. From game to game and tournament to tournament you could have completely different players competing from the same team. I have seen quite a few games in Calgary and the south zone and I try to keep track of players in this age group but to make a provincial comparison is difficult.

In the South, Cardston is by far the deepest team. Justin Folsum leads a very solid group and the program is run very well. A good example of football cross-over and the importance of athleticism. Catholic Central is probably the next closest team and the Pasquotti kid controls the entire game for them. The light is always green. They have a couple athletic wing players but it drops off after that. Crescent Heights and McCoy could also be considered but they use so many senior players that its hard to really get a read on them from game to game.

In Calgary, St. Mary's has to be considered one of, if not the favorite. The Genesis guard is so much more athletic and quick than everyone else in grade 10 but I understand that he turns 18 this year which says a lot. McNally is also up there and Nick and Tony lead a very quick, skilled group but they're also a little undersized. Tony could be the best grade 10 player in the province but his age also helps. Bishop Grandin and BOB are also in the mix and those programs should stay strong at the varsity level next year with these guys moving up.

From south central zone Cochrane has to be the heavy favorite. I know they have a couple dominant provincial players in centre Jacob Molton and guard Chace Neilsen. Canmore could be next and have a big athletic 6'7" centre and guard Max Gillis who is strong and shoots the ball well. The foothills league is fairly even and no one really stands out.

I don't know anything about central. I haven't seen any teams play and I don't how they compare.

In Edmonton, Bev Facey is the team to beat in the Metro Premier League. Connor Rawson and Jack Romaniuk do everything. HA and Strathcona are both really deep and are by themselves in the public in what should be a real battle.

I don't know about any teams north of edmonton.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Best JV Boys Team In The Province?   Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:25 am

For high school it technically doesn't matter as all you have to be is under 19 as of September 1st of the school year. Every player is eligible for three consecutive years after registering in grade 10. Tony is a completely legitimate U17. I can't say that for sure about genesis players. And it does make a big difference. Take Jordan from that same Genesis team and have him play JV for western. I think he'd do pretty good. Westwind SD is full of examples as their school cut off is Sept 1. Jimmy has played 3 years of high school varsity for Raymond and turns 19 this September. He is a year older than western's Nebojsa Kuljic who plays for UofC right now. Put Nebojsa back at western for this year and NEXT year and it would be the same as Jimmy playing high school this year.
Back to top Go down
ruralhoops

PostSubject: Re: Best JV Boys Team In The Province?   Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:29 pm

Good call on South Central. Cochrane JVs won zones.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Best JV Boys Team In The Province?   Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:53 pm

That doesn't surprise me. Who did they play in the SC zone finals? Cardston beat down Catholic Central 97-62 in a completely dominant performance in the south zone finals. St Mary's lost to BG in the finals for Calgary. Strathcona takes Edmonton public over HA and PK handles Bev Facey by 2 in the metro JV finals.
Back to top Go down
ruralhoops

PostSubject: Re: Best JV Boys Team In The Province?   Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:09 am

Cochrane JV won over Canmore by 16.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best JV Boys Team In The Province?   Today at 7:19 pm

Back to top Go down

Best JV Boys Team In The Province?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1