HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Sectionals Results???

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Mark Jaxxson

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals Results???   Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:00 am

Also i do believe #4 hip checked a Sugarloaf player right out in the middle of the floor and the refs ddint even give him a flagarant or anything pretty dirty to me
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lebronrocks

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals Results???   Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:41 am

with all this referee chat , I have a rules question for yas. Somethin I saw in a game this year.
A kid commits an unsportsmanlike foul (hits someone hard on a fast break). Later in the game he is called for an second unsportmanlike foul. He is out of the game. Two unspartsmanlike and your gone. Right?
The question asked was , according nbiaa rules if your kicked out of a game , you automatically are suspended from the next one.
Is that a correct reading on the rule?
like in a sectional final , if a kid commits two unsportmanlike fouls , he could not play at harbour station ?
Just wondering ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach12

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals Results???   Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:42 am

Just so everybody knows...one of the officials was from the Fredericton area (Oromocto) and the other official was from Woodstock
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dug Sea

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals Results???   Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:56 am

lebronrocks wrote:
with all this referee chat , I have a rules question for yas. Somethin I saw in a game this year.
A kid commits an unsportsmanlike foul (hits someone hard on a fast break). Later in the game he is called for an second unsportmanlike foul. He is out of the game. Two unspartsmanlike and your gone. Right?
The question asked was , according nbiaa rules if your kicked out of a game , you automatically are suspended from the next one.
Is that a correct reading on the rule?
like in a sectional final , if a kid commits two unsportmanlike fouls , he could not play at harbour station ?
Just wondering ?

No he can play in play at harbour Station. You only need to say you have an exhibition game scheduled with Carleton North prior to the game at Harbour Station. Ask Woodstock for the proper procedure to follow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals Results???   Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:04 pm

The kid could not play at Habour Station if he got kicked out of the last game of sectionals.

You can not schedule an exhibition after a suspension. If this exhibition was already scheduled before the infraction occurred it would work. But who has exhibition games scheduled for just a few days before you are hoping to go to Harbour.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Maripac30

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals Results???   Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:29 pm

baller24 wrote:
The kid could not play at Habour Station if he got kicked out of the last game of sectionals.

You can not schedule an exhibition after a suspension. If this exhibition was already scheduled before the infraction occurred it would work. But who has exhibition games scheduled for just a few days before you are hoping to go to Harbour.

Sorry Baller24 but not only can it happen, it did. 2 years ago Woodstock beat Dalhousie in the Sectional final,(one of the best games I ever saw). During the game a player from Woodstock (forget his name) two handed Robbie Daley (God knows what Robbie did to him I didn't see) from behind after the whistle and was ejected from the game.
He should have been unable to play the next game at the AC. Woodstock had a phantom game during the week vs Carlton North and he was able to play at the AC.
I say Phantom as it was rumoured that they only played on paper and the game never took place, but others swear that they did actually play.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals Results???   Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:00 pm

After the incident mentioned the NBIAA policy was changed and now includes phrasing that says if they are removed from a playoff game they must miiss the next playoff game. This essentially eliminates the issue being discussed.
(see OR.11.1)

In other news:
I do have some concerns with the rule being applied in terms of 2 unsportsmanlikes = ejection + missing next game. Only because of recent changes in the grounds for unsportsmanlike. If a kid is rude, violent, etc and they get ejected I'm all for this rule.

The reality is now that a kid could reach in for the ball trying to catch a kid on a fast break and if they call a foul it is unsportsmanlike (assuming clear path and not in the act of shooting) and then in the last 2 minutes they get tangled up denying an inbounds play and get called for holding/blocking before the ball is inbounded. This is two unsportsmanlikes and an ejection by rule. Having this kid get ejected let alone sit another game seems ridiculous.

To restate I'm ok with ejection and automatic suspension for excessive force, violence, or any variety of unsportsmanlike behaviours that could result in technicals/unsportsmanlikes. We have a team rule that if a kid gets a tech they must sit a full game from the point of the infraction, so disciplining poor behaivour in high school kids is not my beef. I'm just concerned with a kid getting punished excessively for inadvertant things.

Probably a scenario that wouldn't ever happen, but never say never right . . .

Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals Results???   Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:07 pm

And nobody put up a fuss about this Woodstock player being able to play at the AC?

Nothing surprises me though, when banners are involved. Good for Woodstock for having the balls to bend the rules to allow this to happen, but shame on the NBIAA for allowing it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
student

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals Results???   Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:59 pm

the shame is that only one side of the incident gets hashed out here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals Results???   Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:15 pm

Lets here the other side then.

From what I have heard Woodstock did what they needed to (all within the rules) to put their best team on the court for a title game.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stripes

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals Results???   Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:41 pm

CoachDJR wrote:
After the incident mentioned the NBIAA policy was changed and now includes phrasing that says if they are removed from a playoff game they must miiss the next playoff game. This essentially eliminates the issue being discussed.
(see OR.11.1)

In other news:
I do have some concerns with the rule being applied in terms of 2 unsportsmanlikes = ejection + missing next game. Only because of recent changes in the grounds for unsportsmanlike. If a kid is rude, violent, etc and they get ejected I'm all for this rule.

The reality is now that a kid could reach in for the ball trying to catch a kid on a fast break and if they call a foul it is unsportsmanlike (assuming clear path and not in the act of shooting) and then in the last 2 minutes they get tangled up denying an inbounds play and get called for holding/blocking before the ball is inbounded. This is two unsportsmanlikes and an ejection by rule. Having this kid get ejected let alone sit another game seems ridiculous.

I think FIBA really screwed up when they made those fouls unsportsmanlike. They should have done like the NBA where a clear path foul has a more severe penalty (2 FTs and the ball) but the player who commits clear path foul is charged with a regular foul. In theory, an NBA player could commit 5 clear path fouls in one game and still be eligible to play. There is nothing dirty or unsportsmanlike about a clear path foul or an out of bounds foul (in the last 2 minutes of the game).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketballnb

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals Results???   Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:22 pm

b-ballplaya23 wrote:
basketballnb wrote:
We talkin bout practice wrote:
Devon Park over Surgarloaf
yeah not hard to win with your own refs...dirty game, not fair what so ever!!! should be replayed with proper refs whom are not for a CERTAIN team!!!!

I was there, and the game was called quite well actually. Dirty? I do believe Sugarloaf had 1 unsportsmanlike foul, and should have had another one when their big ripped a DP Player's head off.

Overall, the game was called evenly. Both teams put up a good fight, and it was the best game I've personally watched in over 3 years.

I was also there, and i don't think it was called quite well!!!sugarloaf didn't have a chance,the refs were forever blowing the whistle towards them for stupidness.Maybe you should watch that game over again!

The nbia has rules that the refs are to be" outta town "don't they?Don"t you think theses rules should be followed??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HS11-13

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals Results???   Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:05 pm

basketballnb wrote:
b-ballplaya23 wrote:
basketballnb wrote:
yeah not hard to win with your own refs...dirty game, not fair what so ever!!! should be replayed with proper refs whom are not for a CERTAIN team!!!!

I was there, and the game was called quite well actually. Dirty? I do believe Sugarloaf had 1 unsportsmanlike foul, and should have had another one when their big ripped a DP Player's head off.

Overall, the game was called evenly. Both teams put up a good fight, and it was the best game I've personally watched in over 3 years.

I was also there, and i don't think it was called quite well!!!sugarloaf didn't have a chance,the refs were forever blowing the whistle towards them for stupidness.Maybe you should watch that game over again!

The nbia has rules that the refs are to be" outta town "don't they?Don"t you think theses rules should be followed??
the refs were out of town refs from fredricton and woodstock. the refs in harvey were both from fredricton which is the refs that ref in harvey all year but you dont seen mcadam on here crying about the refs. sugarloaf lost far and square so get over it devon park came to win that game and thats what they did. sugarloaf can have fun in aa next year when it goes back to three divisons
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Maripac30

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals Results???   Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:32 am

HS11-13 wrote:
basketballnb wrote:
b-ballplaya23 wrote:
basketballnb wrote:

the refs were out of town refs from fredricton and woodstock. the refs in harvey were both from fredricton which is the refs that ref in harvey all year but you dont seen mcadam on here crying about the refs. sugarloaf lost far and square so get over it devon park came to win that game and thats what they did. sugarloaf can have fun in aa next year when it goes back to three divisons
Wasn't at the Sugarloaf/DP game so will make no comment on that but this discussion does bring up a pet peeve of mine. Correct me if I'm wrong but the NBIAA rule is that the refs for the Sectionals need to be brought in from another area so as to avoid home town issues. This sounds good in theory but in reality doesn't necessarily work. Since the teams are from out of town as well ,sometimes you get the situation that happened at Sugarloaf where the refs are from the same area as the visiting team and still brings up the same issues
And then of course there is the double standard. Places like Bathurst and Campbellton had to bring in refs from other areas(with the added expense) but the Fredericton area was allowed to use Fredericton area refs.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
celtic

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals Results???   Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:03 am

You guys need to give this a rest. DP matched up to Sugarloaf better than anyone else in the province. Everyone knew it was going to be a close game. Sugarloaf should have enough sense to know that southwest refs call a tighter game than Northern ones. They got beat!!....if those 2 teams played 10 games...the outcome could easily be 5 wins for each team....DP figured them out this game....same some dignity for Sugarloaf and stop beating a dead horse!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
student

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals Results???   Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:30 am

dignaty is not reel common here
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ForceHimLeft

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals Results???   Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:17 pm

student wrote:
dignaty is not reel common here

Neither is spelling or grammar.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HS11-13

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals Results???   Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:20 pm

Maripac30 wrote:
HS11-13 wrote:
basketballnb wrote:
b-ballplaya23 wrote:
basketballnb wrote:

Wasn't at the Sugarloaf/DP game so will make no comment on that but this discussion does bring up a pet peeve of mine. Correct me if I'm wrong but the NBIAA rule is that the refs for the Sectionals need to be brought in from another area so as to avoid home town issues. This sounds good in theory but in reality doesn't necessarily work. Since the teams are from out of town as well ,sometimes you get the situation that happened at Sugarloaf where the refs are from the same area as the visiting team and still brings up the same issues
And then of course there is the double standard. Places like Bathurst and Campbellton had to bring in refs from other areas(with the added expense) but the Fredericton area was allowed to use Fredericton area refs.

I think in sectionals there should be 4 refs one from each divison the teams are coming from.
ex: you have a sectional in sugarloaf the games are
McAdam vs Southern Vic, one ref is from st. stephen which is where mcadam's refs come from and the other from woodstock which i believe is sv refs
Sugarloaf vs Harvey, the same here with one ref from the north and the other from fredricton
then the two teams that win there ref, refs the sectional final with the other teams ref.
I don't know if it would work but tell me what you think.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stripes

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals Results???   Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:50 pm

The problem with your suggestion is cost. Four zones means four officials using their own vehicles. This year, the Sectional that I was scheduled to referee had four officials from the same zone using one vehicle. When the bad weather hit, we had to make changes and two vehicles were used. The coach of the host team didn'tlike having to pay for two travels. Imagine if each sectional had four travels, plus accomodations, meals and game fees. It adds up. Over the last two weekends, I would guess that Bathurst High paid a alot of money in officials to host those two tournaments.

In a perfect world, you would always have neutral officials but we have small province so this becomes very difficult. The other consideration is when you have a crew of four officials and the best of the group is from the same area as one of the teams in the final. Do you use your top official or do you use a neutral official?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coachmac

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals Results???   Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:52 pm

Stripes wrote:
The problem with your suggestion is cost. Four zones means four officials using their own vehicles. This year, the Sectional that I was scheduled to referee had four officials from the same zone using one vehicle. When the bad weather hit, we had to make changes and two vehicles were used. The coach of the host team didn'tlike having to pay for two travels. Imagine if each sectional had four travels, plus accomodations, meals and game fees. It adds up. Over the last two weekends, I would guess that Bathurst High paid a alot of money in officials to host those two tournaments.

In a perfect world, you would always have neutral officials but we have small province so this becomes very difficult. The other consideration is when you have a crew of four officials and the best of the group is from the same area as one of the teams in the final. Do you use your top official or do you use a neutral official?

Personally, I think the term "neutral officials" is overrated. I have never felt a coach favoured a home team just because they were the home team, in any game I have been involved in. For some coaches, the best thing that can happen for them is to get away from the officials that know them. Also, I am not referring to anyone in particular when I made that statement.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.homesmoncton.com
basketballnb

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals Results???   Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:17 pm

Maripac30 wrote:
HS11-13 wrote:
basketballnb wrote:
b-ballplaya23 wrote:
basketballnb wrote:

This is exactly my point maripac30,but i guess the nbiaa rules are only set for northern teams,apparently Fredericton can do what they want and get away with it!

no comment for this one b-ballplaya23? you say fair and square? ha!!! whatever.....and the last time i checked this site was made for people to speak their minds...sooo don't ever tell me to get over it again...if you don't like what i have to say,don't reply!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketballnb

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals Results???   Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:23 pm

celtic wrote:
You guys need to give this a rest. DP matched up to Sugarloaf better than anyone else in the province. Everyone knew it was going to be a close game. Sugarloaf should have enough sense to know that southwest refs call a tighter game than Northern ones. They got beat!!....if those 2 teams played 10 games...the outcome could easily be 5 wins for each team....DP figured them out this game....same some dignity for Sugarloaf and stop beating a dead horse!!

Don't you worry about Sugarloaf,they have lost of dignity!!!

You say they got beat,i say they were cheated!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
driver59

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals Results???   Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:19 am

basketballnb wrote:
celtic wrote:

Don't you worry about Sugarloaf,they have lost of dignity!!!

You say they got beat,i say they were cheated!!
I never seen the game so i cant coment on whether or not they got cheated but i have seen games where i thought teams were cheated and i have talked to the referee's after the games and what i have found is that when a referee makes a bad call the ones i have talked to said they try to ake it up , i have seen this and called referee's on this and they admitted itand from the point of the spectator in the stands both calls look suspect i have told referee's before if its a foul and you see it call it on both ends of the floor if its not dont if you make a mistake DONT try to fix it, but like i said at the first i didnt see the Sugarloaf game so i cant say if they were cheated all im doing is sharing my experiences
Back to top Go down
View user profile
halfhobbit

PostSubject: The game is still available on ustream   Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:53 am

Sugarloaf vs DPCS

Every one can view and make their own opinion on the reffing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
student

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals Results???   Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:32 am

if you are not playing tomorrow then you should be working for next yr. done crying over last week
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals Results???   Today at 4:57 pm

Back to top Go down

Sectionals Results???
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next