HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Sectionals Results???

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
BlindAsABat

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals Results???   Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:39 pm

halfhobbit wrote:
Sugarloaf vs DPCS

Every one can view and make their own opinion on the reffing.

Saw the game, calls made and missed on both sides. In my opinion, the calls did not favour one side or the other. Sugarloaf just fell victim to a hot second half by DPCS's #10. #6 for Sugarloaf kept them in the game with his 3's, but they went cold in the 3rd quarter and then just fell short in the 4th. Both teams have great kids on them and I saw genuine admiration for each other after the game. Yes, they played hard during the game, but once the game was over, they were friends again. Shouldn't the "fans" follow their example?

Last edited by BlindAsABat on Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Once a Warrior...

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals Results???   Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:46 pm

halfhobbit wrote:
Sugarloaf vs DPCS

Every one can view and make their own opinion on the reffing.

Just finished watching the entire game and took some notes....the way I saw it the refs did not determine the outcome of this game.
All teams in AA knew that the Bruins shoot alot of 3's and have had great success the last couple of years with that style. Some nights they have been downright scary ecspecially at home. In this game they took 12 attempts in the 2nd quarter alone and made ZERO, 10 out 40 for the entire game. They usually shoot about 40% which is fantastic. The talk all year has been if Sugarloaf has an off game from behind the arc they could be beat.....thats the way I saw it. If you live by the sword you will die by the sword!!

Devon Park pressures the ball better than any other team in AA and they did just that... all game long....my hats off to them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
princess

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals Results???   Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:18 pm

celtic wrote:
You guys need to give this a rest. DP matched up to Sugarloaf better than anyone else in the province. Everyone knew it was going to be a close game. Sugarloaf should have enough sense to know that southwest refs call a tighter game than Northern ones. They got beat!!....if those 2 teams played 10 games...the outcome could easily be 5 wins for each team....DP figured them out this game....same some dignity for Sugarloaf and stop beating a dead horse!!

I highly doubt that if they played 10 times devon park would win 5 of the games. they played 5 and sugarloaf won 4 by huge margins. But in the semi final game devon park played an excellent game, best i seen them all year and worst i have seen sshs play ever, they shot the 3 horribly and didnt take care of the ball. Personally i think sugarloaf is a much better team but in that game devon park came to play and was the better team on that day. Goodluck to devon park i say they defeat Harvey by 10 at HS.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals Results???   Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:40 pm

Things the webcast shows:
- Officials let the kids play for the most part, don't think you can say they called enough to impact the outcome.
- SSHS couldn't keep track of DP's best player in the 3rd quarter.
-SSHS shot the ball poorly by their standards.
- DP did a great job of making someone other then Pat M. beat them.
- I thought both teams turned the ball over more then they would like.
- Obviously not SSHS best game, but defensively DP as a team was great.
- Dp made shots and took advantage of SSHS breakdowns, SSHS turned the ball right back over as often as they capitalized on the opportunities they were given.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
believer

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals Results???   Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:24 pm

Mark Jaxxson wrote:
Also i do believe #4 hip checked a Sugarloaf player right out in the middle of the floor and the refs ddint even give him a flagarant or anything pretty dirty to me

this would not surprise me. when they played belleisle in sectionals one of the belleisle players had a breakaway and he caught up to him and wrapped his arms around him (intentionally fouling him) there were two ways this could have been called unsporstmanlike: 1st of, intentional fouls of these kinds are supposed to be called unsportsmanlike, if im not mistaken. second of all it is a clear path foul. when a player has a clear path to the bucket and the defender comes from behind and fouls him it is supposed to be deemed an unsportsmanlike foul. pretty questionable reffing i'd say.

on another note, one of the assistant coaches of DP (at least he was at their bench in sectionals) is a ref also and i am pretty sure i have seen him ref some of their games. this doesnt seem very fair.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BlindAsABat

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals Results???   Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:08 am

All 3 coaches at DPCS are refs and I can assure you that the assigner in Fredericton would never have/allow them ref their own team
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stripes

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals Results???   Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:43 am

believer wrote:
Mark Jaxxson wrote:
Also i do believe #4 hip checked a Sugarloaf player right out in the middle of the floor and the refs ddint even give him a flagarant or anything pretty dirty to me

this would not surprise me. when they played belleisle in sectionals one of the belleisle players had a breakaway and he caught up to him and wrapped his arms around him (intentionally fouling him) there were two ways this could have been called unsporstmanlike: 1st of, intentional fouls of these kinds are supposed to be called unsportsmanlike, if im not mistaken. second of all it is a clear path foul. when a player has a clear path to the bucket and the defender comes from behind and fouls him it is supposed to be deemed an unsportsmanlike foul. pretty questionable reffing i'd say.

on another note, one of the assistant coaches of DP (at least he was at their bench in sectionals) is a ref also and i am pretty sure i have seen him ref some of their games. this doesnt seem very fair.

Regarding the "clear path foul" rule, it only applies until the offensive player begins his act of shooting. Having not seen the play you described, maybe it was not ruled unsportsmanlike because the act of shooting had begun. Again, if he wrapped his arms around, maybe it should have been unsportsmanlike anyway. (HTBT)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals Results???   Today at 5:14 am

Back to top Go down

Sectionals Results???
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4