HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

2011 Vancouver Senior Boys Basketball City Champs - Sir Charles Tupper

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
ballertohoop

PostSubject: Re: 2011 Vancouver Senior Boys Basketball City Champs - Sir Charles Tupper   Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:13 pm

TextBook wrote:
Trey wrote:

I think you failed to mention that credit for Kits should have gone to David Burton who shot an inspiring game hitting one shot after another. He is a junior and plays at college level and will be an interesting one to watch. Credit also has to go to the Kits big man Kirby Johnston who despite being 5 inches shorter than the giant 7 footer for Tupper - effectively and totally shut Cam down for most of the game with sheer determination and constant pressure. Unfortunately for Kits, the game ended in the same way that many of their other games end - with selfish play - Burton was not the only one open on the floor ready to take the shot, Johnston was open and right under, Malashuga was ready to shoot a three - time was wasted with one player deciding he would be the one to win the game. Kits needs to work on their teamwork if they are going to even place in top ten in LM. Disappointing finish to a great game.

The game was far from disappointing for 75% of the fans last night. Johnson played hard but had a tough time keeping up with the pace as the game went on. Smythe had around 20 pts so I am not sure that you can describe that as being shut down. Burton was great and showed leadership even though 21 for Kits made some very athletic plays a pass at the end would have sealed the deal. Late in the game Tupper outrebounded Kits and seemed to have more energy but Kits showed they are much better than their ranking and will be a tough team to face at LM's.

Correction on Trey's statement: David Burton is actually a grade 11, and not a junior as he posted above ! Just letting you guys know in case you guys were wondering and what not.

And a brief argument can be made about Smythe being shut down. Yes, he had that game-changing dunk and around 5-6 blocks, but how many times can you recall him being pushed out from the paint ? I can recall multiple times where Kirby using sheer strength pushed Cam from where he wanted to ultimately, outside of the paint and at times even fumbled the ball because of Kirby's defense. As a coach, you definitely want your 7 footer in the paint. Who wouldn't ?[/quote]

That is very true. In fact, Smythe only scored 4 point while Johnston was on him - which backs up my earlier comment that he was shut down by Johnston (and Paulius while they alternated - Johnston on Warren, Paulius on Smythe) I thought the teamwork between the two here was at its best. Buy Burton shone for me - great jump shot on that kid. So he is year 11 - interesting to watch him progress next year - will be interesting if the team can get better dynamics than they are said to have had this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trey

PostSubject: Re: 2011 Vancouver Senior Boys Basketball City Champs - Sir Charles Tupper   Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:01 pm

Johnston had 4 pts. Who shut down who? Doesn't matter, what a game. Anyone got a copy of the video or the game stats?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballertohoop

PostSubject: Re: 2011 Vancouver Senior Boys Basketball City Champs - Sir Charles Tupper   Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:22 pm

Trey wrote:
Johnston had 4 pts. Who shut down who? Doesn't matter, what a game. Anyone got a copy of the video or the game stats?

I am guessing Johnston's whole position in the game was to stop Smythes 7foot from scoring - which he did. I doubt that scoring would have been on Johnston's mind - it was all about defense and getting Smythe out of the way so the shooters could score. Both big men played well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketball77

PostSubject: Re: 2011 Vancouver Senior Boys Basketball City Champs - Sir Charles Tupper   Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:15 am

Another correction: Daniel Kim did not make first-team all stars, it was his teammate Darryl Agbunag.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LethalBillMunny

PostSubject: Re: 2011 Vancouver Senior Boys Basketball City Champs - Sir Charles Tupper   Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:36 am

basketball77 wrote:
Another correction: Daniel Kim did not make first-team all stars, it was his teammate Darryl Agbunag.

Indeed.... give credit where credit is due, absolutely. Just looking at the LM draw tonight, seems as though if Kits beats New West, which they should, they'll play Tupper again in round 2, is this right? Have a look at this:

http://www.bcboysbasketball.com/media/leagues/2192/graphics/2011LM%20Draw.pdf

Another classic, not to be missed, likely this Thursday at Tupper!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketball77

PostSubject: Re: 2011 Vancouver Senior Boys Basketball City Champs - Sir Charles Tupper   Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:01 am

LethalBillMunny wrote:
basketball77 wrote:

Indeed.... give credit where credit is due, absolutely. Just looking at the LM draw tonight, seems as though if Kits beats New West, which they should, they'll play Tupper again in round 2, is this right? Have a look at this:

http://www.bcboysbasketball.com/media/leagues/2192/graphics/2011LM%20Draw.pdf

Another classic, not to be missed, likely this Thursday at Tupper!

Wow! Anyone know how the top 4 seeds were chosen? Was it by rankings?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LethalBillMunny

PostSubject: Re: 2011 Vancouver Senior Boys Basketball City Champs - Sir Charles Tupper   Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:08 am

In my experience, the rankings are coordinated according to the league conveners' decisions. Ordinarily, what happens is they ask for coaches to submit every result from each tournament, exhibition match, and regular season match to produce a more or less, "true" record. When the records have all been compiled, decisions are made as to the difficulty of the tournament draws, calibre of teams involved, championships earned, perhaps other factors such as MVP honours, or all-star selections, I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure they have a small panel to decide on this, once the records have been amalgamated. This is my experience based on a limited understanding of having spoken to a convener regarding this process not long ago, but it was for another level of BC hoops, not Senior.... so if anyone has more specific information, or can confirm this process then feel free to correct me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
yescoach

PostSubject: Re: 2011 Vancouver Senior Boys Basketball City Champs - Sir Charles Tupper   Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:19 am

I may be stating the obvious here, but obvious may not be that obvious. Top 4 seeds are the teams that won their respective zones. From there on, I believe that their overall performance throughout the year in addition to the rankings and the games they've played against each other (i.e: Palmer has played BBY South a few times throughout the season).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spectator

PostSubject: Unfortunately for Kits, the game ended in the same way that many of their other games end - with selfish play    Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:26 pm

The game and it's success, as you will well know, is made up of hundreds of split second decisions. To intimate that Paulius Makulavicius had selfish motivation to get the "game winner" is absurd. He made a decision based on his surroundings on what he should do. If he gets the basket he is a hero, if he misses you call him a zero. If you knew the team stats you would quickly see that he leads his team and quite possibly the league in assists
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballertohoop

PostSubject: Paulius Makulavicius   Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:14 pm

Spectator wrote:
The game and it's success, as you will well know, is made up of hundreds of split second decisions. To intimate that Paulius Makulavicius had selfish motivation to get the "game winner" is absurd. He made a decision based on his surroundings on what he should do. If he gets the basket he is a hero, if he misses you call him a zero. If you knew the team stats you would quickly see that he leads his team and quite possibly the league in assists

That is very admirable as you, as his father, to give him that compliment. But the fact is that is far from the case.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spectator

PostSubject: Re: 2011 Vancouver Senior Boys Basketball City Champs - Sir Charles Tupper   Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:55 pm

Dear Mr. ballertohoop...very easy to sit in the bleachers and never have to make a judgement call, but to timidly use a ficticious name and criticize those playing their hearts out...Roselvet said “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.”
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballertohoop

PostSubject: Paulius Makulavicius   Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:19 pm

Spectator - that was beautifully written and actually could of and should of been used as a prelude to the fantastic final on Saturday - would have been the perfect piece. It describes warriors, heros, goliaths both big and small who fought so valiantly on that court at Langley.

However.....

After speaking with many coaches who overhead the locker room fracus after the Fleetwood game - in which your son refused to shake the winning teams hands, in which your son tried to fight his own team mates during the game, in which your son was seen abusing his own team mates and screaming and swearing at his own team mates - and not in an inspiring and positive way - during the game - and then went on the throw a major tantrum in the locker room afterwards - AGAINST his own team mates - which was overheard by all outside - I do not think that this beautiful and inspiring quote describes your son at all. Quite the opposite actually.

Your son is neither Valiant nor Great and does not belong in the great arena of warriors and heros. Perhaps in his defeat and failure, he will learn to be more humble and realize that basketball is a team game that needs to be played with respect. Your son is well known by most coaches and umpires and it is not for any skill he may have in the game. Teach him some humility and perhaps he may salvage any college career that he may one day have - as I believe the offers are not pouring in as expected.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LBZ

PostSubject: Re: 2011 Vancouver Senior Boys Basketball City Champs - Sir Charles Tupper   Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:39 pm

ballertohoop... you know what I always hated? I always hated and still hate haters. people like you piss me off. Jelousy is why haters hate.

now, i'm a player of the kitsilano blue demons senior team. i played all year with paulius and got to know him very well. we are not only teamates, but also friends. youre right, paulius yells at us. lots of the time he yells at me for not catching one of his many passes or not finishing under the hoop sometimes and he is totally right to do so. after that i dont miss anything again.

Paulius is a very compedetive and passionate player. he is probably the most passionate in BC. the same way i like chocolate more than others, and you like something more than others, paul likes winning more than others. he has a european mentality that all americans also have and that is to play hard every game, somethng that our team wasnt doing. that is why he was frustrated and i was too. that is waht he was telling us in the locker room. and some us agreed with him. the ones who didnt care disagreed. it was also his last highschool tournament, the provincials, and we lost first round to a bad team and lots of us were embarrassed.

paul is a very talented player and he averages at least 5 assists a game to me. he is not selfish. hes sees the open man and sees the open lane. what would you choose.

lastly, for the gamewinning miss against tupper, i cant believe you would say something like that. you know that in teh NBA, NCAA, CIS, highschool bball, it happens everytime. he missed, so what. everyone misses.

you just have to stop talking s**t about others and worry about yourself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballertohoop

PostSubject: Paulius Makulavicius   Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:23 pm

Son, first of all - Fleetwood are not a bad team. They played exceptionally well and deserved to win on the day. Watching Paulius and several team members fighting, shoving each other and swearing and cussing at each other is NOT passion to win, it is bad sportsmanship. Just like refusing to shake the winning teams hand and choosing to sit at the end of the court crying instead.

Just because members of your team did not agree with Paulius's method of abuse and belittling them while they play, does not mean that they do not care about winning or losing the game. They obviously have a lot more integrity and respect than he does. I guess it is just like screaming at your coach to F...off halfway through a game - of which Paul is now famous for - while that coach is trying to give you direction. Don't make the mistake of passing that of as passion son, it is nothing but bad sportsmanship and bad attitude - point blank.

Dont try and pass of the "European mentality" for those bad manners - that is utter rubbish and it is definitely NOT something that is accepted nor tolerated in USA basketball - or any other basketball program. I believe Malushaga and Vidick on that team are also European yet both play as utter gentlemen. There is never a circumstance, EVER, where it is acceptable to abuse your coach, your team or the other team while on a court. EVER. European, Indian, Malaysian, USA or English - No Excuse.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballertohoop

PostSubject: tupper vs kitsilano   Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:25 pm

Regarding that last shot at the Tupper game Luca the Bazooka, did you not see the dozen or so Tweets from reporters at the game - funny, they all commented with the same opinion as I did.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spectator

PostSubject: Re: 2011 Vancouver Senior Boys Basketball City Champs - Sir Charles Tupper   Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:38 pm

Everyone's elses comments are invalid and uninformed, except yours including a team mate...and, his coach?
“He’s a very passionate kid and he wears his heart on his sleeve,” Coutts said of Makulavicius who sat, his head in his hands, at the baseline where he’d attempted the winning shot. “Bottom line is he wanted an opportunity to get to the final and play in the final. That was one of his goals and one of our goals as a team this year and he was very disappointed. He plays with a lot of pride, a lot of passion.”

Read more: http://www.vancourier.com/PHOTO+GALLERY+Surrey+school+edges+Kitsilano+high+school+basketball+provincials/4444907/story.html#ixzz1HGhyMNb5
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballertohoop

PostSubject: Re: 2011 Vancouver Senior Boys Basketball City Champs - Sir Charles Tupper   Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:52 pm

He may play with a lot of passion, but I don't see any pride in his game. Pride and respect come hand in hand.

Isn't it true that he was benched through the entire next game because of his bad behavior after the Fleetwood game? Funny that.

The point here is Spectator, that these are boys becoming men - there should be a code of honor when taking that court - someone commented earlier that it was a priveledge and not a right to play basketball to represent your school - and I agree. There should be a code that coaches are teaching these young men - like Gourley or Eberhardt - can you possibly imagine one of their players telling them to F off during a game and be left on the court - or the team????? I can't. These coaches are looked up to as gods by all the kids in their programs and many in other programs. Coutts failed in his coaching of this particular team this year and let a talented team fall apart at the seams with inhouse bickering and egos running out of control. That is a well known fact in the basktball world of Lower Mainland. It is a shame and very disappointing for all of the boys who had hoped to do well at Provincials that they were not given any leadership. I believe that the boys even dedicated the game to a junior coach who was greatly respected by writing his name on their legs.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spectator

PostSubject: Re: 2011 Vancouver Senior Boys Basketball City Champs - Sir Charles Tupper   Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:38 pm

The game after Fleetwood was with Prince George. I guess you werent there, as he played almost the full 40 minutes? How did you come up with he was benched? He scored 14 points. THIS IS THE POINT, kind sir,... you see and hear only what you want to see and hear, and you take little bits here and little bits there to justify or give credit to a deep predujice perhaps you had in high school towards someone or perhaps your desire to be a God, who knows. It is fun/entertaining for you to tear somebody down, someone a little bit different than most, someone passionate and full of the love of the game. Paulius has more passion and pride in his little finger than I have in my entire body. Does he make mistakes, of course he does, to err is to be human. I guess I am finished with these discussions now, I will let your entertainment "jollies" move on to someone else. I am sure you will find somebody deserving.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballertohoop

PostSubject: Re: 2011 Vancouver Senior Boys Basketball City Champs - Sir Charles Tupper   Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:58 pm

If you cannot remember what game it was that he was benched for most of the second and all of the third and fourth - ask the coach who benched him - it was for his unacceptable behavior the day before both on court and in the locker room. I am not sure who the team was that they played as I watched so many last week but it was in the back court after the Fleetwood game.

I think it is great you have so much admiration for your son and that he has such a love and passion for the game. My point is that you need more than that - you need teamwork, humility and discipline and I dont believe he has any of those. However, I think with a firm coach he could develop those qualities and become a great player by doing it.

I am not attacking your son as a person, I simply stated here that I did not like what I saw in his play - and since have been replying to posts. It is not about tearing someone down, it is simply about a player that I didn't enjoy watching. I am old school and a big believer in respect for your team and it irks me when I see a person that doesn't respect others around him. so yes, maybe it is a deep seeded prejudice, against disrespect. And I don't believe in God and am quite happy with who I am.

Perhaps, if you as his father, pointed out that he has to learn the most important fundamental of basketball - teamwork and RESPECT - alongside the praise you so lavishly bestow on him, he would learn the lesson a lot faster.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bball_6319

PostSubject: Re: 2011 Vancouver Senior Boys Basketball City Champs - Sir Charles Tupper   Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:39 pm

Code:

min fgm-a 3gm-a ftm-a or-t a pf to st pts
21 P MAKULAVICIUS 18 2-6 1-1 1-1 1-5 3 4 1 1 8
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trey

PostSubject: Re: 2011 Vancouver Senior Boys Basketball City Champs - Sir Charles Tupper   Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:45 pm

I hope this back and forth has ended. I have been coming to this forum for a couple of years now and am seeing more and more negativity directed at indivudual players. I am not suggesting that we can't comment on the performance of players, teams and coaches but it should be done in a respectful manner. It was a great season and only one team wins the whole thing so I encourage you to look back at the positives of the year and don't dwell on the negatives so much, it defeats the whole purpose of competition. From what I saw Kits had a great year and after being forced to take part in an unprecedented play in against Saints it was clear that they were well deserving of making Provincials and I encourage all players and parents from that team to be proud of that. Best of luck to all next year.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2011 Vancouver Senior Boys Basketball City Champs - Sir Charles Tupper   Today at 4:47 pm

Back to top Go down

2011 Vancouver Senior Boys Basketball City Champs - Sir Charles Tupper
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2