HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Just two things:

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
driver59

PostSubject: Re: Just two things:   Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:25 pm

i dont think that there were any kids who didnt play or that there were any schools that didnt field a team because they get beat by bigger schools , i mean really not very likely
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: Just two things:   Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:51 pm

I know of a handfull, and I am sure there are more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Just two things:   Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:24 pm

baller24 wrote:
The tier system that Paul Roy put forward made a lot of sense to me. It would have kept leagues together and therefore reduced travel.

Then come playoffs you go to your tier. More light at the end of the tunnel for a lot of schools.

No system is gonna be perfect, but we need to get away from scools of a population of 600 tyring to compete with schools of 1500+.

I like the idea of tiers but not the way proposed by CNHS/NBIAA last year. Both suggestions either by choice/no option had smaller schools dropping down the the lower tier. With these proposals this year's AA tier 1 final would have been Sugarloaf over SVHS by 50 and Dp vs Harvey in the tier 2 final. This doesn't solve the problem of allowing weaker programs a place to compete it just splits up the top teams into two different playoffs.

If you go with two tiers it has to allow teams that aren't as good regardless of size to compete with each other and better teams to compete regardless of size (relative i guess to the two divisions). ie. IF sugarloaf is larger but Harvey, McAdam and DP can compete with them then they should play tier 1. If Simonds, Hampton, ODY, CNHS boys are no able to compete with the top tier 1 teams they should be able to compete in tier two without a top 8 team (Sussex/Woodstock) dropping down to AAA tier two and thumping everyone down their just because they are a smaller AAA school.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
We talkin bout practice

PostSubject: Re: Just two things:   Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:50 pm

I believe there will never be a caste system that works if you divide schools by population. To many other variables, such as multiple sports, good coaching/programs, and so on as we see in other posts. Its not as easy as saying this school is bigger so they should play big schools or this school is small so they should play small schools otherwise we will be hurting their feelings. Every school has diffrent circumstances, and diffrent priorities as far as sporting goes. Its just fine the way it is. We talk about how certain teams are getting thumped, but no matter the system there will be blow outs, but i think teams will elevate to competition and will become better players for playing against the better competition.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
driver59

PostSubject: Re: Just two things:   Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:18 pm

we are only talking about one school sport here, and until New Brunswick has all there schools training and practising using the same program with good coaches and i mean good coaches ones that know what they are doing as well as there players all working hard year round to improve , there is no way that there will ever be a level field of play . The only way to get better is to work at it HARD as hard or harder as the guy or girl your trying to beat its that plain and that simple .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Just two things:   Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:05 am

driver59 wrote:
we are only talking about one school sport here, and until New Brunswick has all there schools training and practising using the same program with good coaches and i mean good coaches ones that know what they are doing as well as there players all working hard year round to improve , there is no way that there will ever be a level field of play . The only way to get better is to work at it HARD as hard or harder as the guy or girl your trying to beat its that plain and that simple .

I agree from a personal philosophical level with what you are saying. You want to win, get better, train better, coach better, play better. The issue is that not all schools hold this attitude for all sports, some schools are very passionate about the development of their basketball programs while others are that way about their soccer or volleyball programs etc. The reality is that they often run these other programs as something for their kids to do or a chance to play and want their kids to have a positive experience without being put in danger or humiliated. Schools have very different view points on what NBIAA sports should be about, the representative they send to make decisions are very often not sport savy people. Combine that with the factor of meetings being run and controlled by the most passionte/powerful and the non sports savy people going along to get along and you end up in a mess.

Harvey/McAdam can compete with or beat almost every larger AA school in basketball, but when they go up against the ESA's/Fundy's in soccer/volleyball its not competitive, while ESA's soccer/volleyball programs could compete with anyone ay any level in those sports. Conversely because of the communities background and loss of athletes to other communities St. Andrews can't compete in with top AA in anything except soccer/cross country. Even in AAA Woodstock High has enough coaching and basketball players to be a competitive AAA basketball program. Their soccer and volleyball programs are almost non existant though and to put a team in just to get drilled and have nothing to look forward to isnt' much insentive to pay for travel or costs of running a teams that less and less people are going to want to play on. So how do they grow that program in that culture?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
driver59

PostSubject: Re: Just two things:   Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:37 am

CoachDJR wrote:
driver59 wrote:

I agree from a personal philosophical level with what you are saying. You want to win, get better, train better, coach better, play better. The issue is that not all schools hold this attitude for all sports, some schools are very passionate about the development of their basketball programs while others are that way about their soccer or volleyball programs etc. The reality is that they often run these other programs as something for their kids to do or a chance to play and want their kids to have a positive experience without being put in danger or humiliated. Schools have very different view points on what NBIAA sports should be about, the representative they send to make decisions are very often not sport savy people. Combine that with the factor of meetings being run and controlled by the most passionte/powerful and the non sports savy people going along to get along and you end up in a mess.

Harvey/McAdam can compete with or beat almost every larger AA school in basketball, but when they go up against the ESA's/Fundy's in soccer/volleyball its not competitive, while ESA's soccer/volleyball programs could compete with anyone ay any level in those sports. Conversely because of the communities background and loss of athletes to other communities St. Andrews can't compete in with top AA in anything except soccer/cross country. Even in AAA Woodstock High has enough coaching and basketball players to be a competitive AAA basketball program. Their soccer and volleyball programs are almost non existant though and to put a team in just to get drilled and have nothing to look forward to isnt' much insentive to pay for travel or costs of running a teams that less and less people are going to want to play on. So how do they grow that program in that culture?
It seems that the thing to do would be to have a big tournament with all the schools in every sport to determine what division you will be in , then play that season in that division , it will require more travel and more cost for sure but it will insure that your in with other teams at your own level, and if the coach or players deside to sandbag to get in to a lower level they will be out for 2 years thats right 2 years from all sports that would put a stop to even thinking about it. If we are going to try to level the playing field its going to cost more money and more time , and we could offset that alittle by the teams that have to travel from one end of the province to the other they could play there games in a neautreul gym or rink or what ever. Now lets pick that idea apart and come up with a better onewhy dont we all work on that instead of letting the NBIAA deside we are the ones who pay , our kids are the ones who play, lets deside what we are willing to do for our kids and go from there if we are not willing to travel alot and pay the cost then that school should not register in the NBIAA competitive leaguesort of like house league. Ok have at it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just two things:   Today at 4:39 am

Back to top Go down

Just two things:
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2