HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

For a couple laughs and cheers to a fantastic season !

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bruce

PostSubject: For a couple laughs and cheers to a fantastic season !   Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:52 am

First things first cheers too all for what could go down as the most exciting year of junior boys basketball ever . The passion and love for basketball with this years squads is unparallelled in my mind too that of recent memory and this goes from the top down . Coaches the dedication you have to your craft and the time you have spent transforming these teams to provincial caliber preformers is remarkable . Players there will never be a more exciting class then that of yours . I pray that come time for the AAA BC's in 2 years your spirit has not yet faded , as it was you that made this season such a rollar coaster ride to watch . Cheers and nothing but the best in the coming years .

Here are the first EVER rankings each coach has done as well as the final result . Who could ever have predicted any of this to unfold . For my amusmant and hopefully a few others lets see how times have changed since Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:30 pm .

Back to top Go down
View user profile
bruce

PostSubject: Re: For a couple laughs and cheers to a fantastic season !   Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:54 am

Karn ( McMath/Drive coach) First ever rankings Oct 20th . How times have changed .

1) Van College
Led by point guard Gogy Kumanan this team is both very big and very deep new transfer Milos Lazik provides solid back court help as well as the paint is controlled by provincial red player Bicky Sandhu and returning from a season long injury last season is Paul Lambizkis add in new transfer 6'6 forward from south delta and you have a deep and talented forward line up. Christian Mair coming off a strong summer with the provincial red squad adds to the back court fire power

Strengths: Size, chemistry

Weakness: Outside Shooting

2) Kitsilano

Last years Grade 9 Provincial champs are back to try and repeat. Unfortunately they must do it this season without the help of big men and grade 9 MVP Luka Zaharijevic. Without the big men controlling the middle this is a very guard oriented team. Led by Tom Campbell and Mark van Elk team still shows great chemistry and great outside shooting. Returning from a season long injury last year is Stefan Sojic who provides more depth and a steady shooting stroke to an already potent lineup.

Strengths: Shooting

Weakness: Size

3) Oak Bay

This years could be surprise team if oak bays big three decide to play Junior basketball this season they could be a force. Led by Athletic guard Matt Hampton who already possess a year of junior basketball under his belt could be this years breakout Junior. With help from smooth shooting Liam Horne and 6'7 big man Graham Pendergast this provincial red combo could help this team challenge for the provincial title come March.

Strengths: Athleticism

Weakness: Depth

4) Saints

Last seasons runner up are going to need to work very hard this upcoming season to build on last years success Provincial Blue point guard Deklan Chung is moving up to play on the senior squad and both wing guards from last year have transferred back to the states. This year squad will be led by ultra versatile guard Tylon Barker transfer from Pt Grey. Rumour is new transfer from France 6'3 guard will team up in the back court with Tylon and try to avenge last years loss in the finals

Strengths: Size

Weakness: Chemistry

5) McMath

Last seasons 5th place finishers burst onto the scene last season and are looking to improve on last years finish. Led by guards Andrew Mccaskill and Rajiv Dhaliwal look for the smooth shooting combo to put up some big numbers. The wildcats play a heavy schedule and will need to rely on their depth and there strong post play inside led by Matt Perry and Garth Anderson. You can follow the wildcats season and box scores on wildcatbasketball.ca all season long

Strengths: Defence, Chemistry

Weakness: Rebounding

6) Walnut Grove

This season for grove depends solely on who is playing senior and who is playing Junior. They have strong Junior players in big men Brad Hoffman and David Nickmans and with grade 9 stand out Jaydon Cohee moving up they could be a team to watch out for. If the Juniors move up onto the senior squad you could see walnut having a tough season with a group of underclassmen.

Strengths: Well coached, Shooting

Weakness: Depending on players teams depth could be an issue, Experience

7) Burnett

My sleeper team our cross town rivals are loaded at the guard spots. Led by guards Alban Shala and Brandon Beevis this kids can flat out run and gun all night long. With strong help from Justin Wong this team can beat anyone in the province on any given night. Team does lack the size to compete against some of the big boys but look for them to really fly this upcoming and make games really interesting.

Strengths: Shooting, Guard play

Weakness: Size, Rebounding

8 Churchill

Kitsilano's cross town rival are looking to explode on the scene this season Led by grade 9 Mindy Minhas and Big man Nathan Holz this team has some serious size and depth. Team has new transfer in Matt Warich and 3D basketball stand out shooting guard Sasha this could be the vancouver Squad that is representing Van come March

Strength: Size, Shooting

Weakness: Depth

9) WRCA

This Years valley challengers will have to go through White rock as well this team will be a very hard nose defensive team led by Post presence Peter Spanghel and forward Vartan Tanielian. There star player Tyus Allen is playing Senior ball this season as well as they lost level headed guard in Nathan to Lynden Christian Academy in the States. This could be a team on the rise but past the starting 5 the bench is a little thin.

Strength: Hard Working

Weakness: Guard Play

10) SMUS

This years squad also depends heavily on who is playing Junior or Senior team is loaded at the guard spot and could challenge Oak bay for the Island Championship if all the stars stay down. Going to be a very hard working defensive team with a great outside stroke with all there players they can roll about 9-10 deep having that kind of depth is a coaches dream look for them as an outside contender.

Strength Defence, Shooting

Weakness: Roster depending on who's playing, Rebounding

Last 5 in order

11) Enver Creek
12) Pitt Meadows
13) STM
14) Killarney
15) KLO
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bruce

PostSubject: Re: For a couple laughs and cheers to a fantastic season !   Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:00 am

Howies rankings from december . From all the criticism he took majority of the teams he ranked qualified just some major errors with placement (walnut grove) .

1. Walnut Grove

2. SMUS

3. Vancouver College

4. Kitsilano

5. WRCA

6. WJ Mouat

7. Sir Winston Churchill

8. Kelowna

9. Pitt Meadows

10. Yale

11. Lord Tweedsmuir

12. Burnaby South

13. Duchess Park

14. LV Rogers

15. JN Burnett

HM. St. Georges, Carson Graham, KLO, Enver Creek, Westsyde
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bruce

PostSubject: Re: For a couple laughs and cheers to a fantastic season !   Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:02 am

Coach fabios rankings from late december .

1. Vancouver College
2. Kitsilano
3. Wj Mouat
4. Churchill
5. WRCA
6. Burnett
7. SMUS
8. McMath
9. Walut Grove
10. Enver Creek
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bruce

PostSubject: Re: For a couple laughs and cheers to a fantastic season !   Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:04 am

First look at the so called official rankings .

BC Junior Boy's
Rankings
by Ian Hyde-Lay
(St. Michaels)

Pre-Season
"JR" Poll # 1
November 25, 2010

Current/Team/Previous

1. Vancouver College (-)
2. Kitsilano (-)
3. Walnut Grove (Langley) (-)
4. St. Michaels (Victoria) (-)
5. Pitt Meadows (-)
6. St. Georges (Vancouver) (-)
7. White Rock Christian (-)
8. Yale (Abbotsford) (-)
9. Enver Creek (Surrey) (-)
10. W.J. Mouat (Abbotsford) (-)
11. Lambrick Park (Victoria) (-)
12. Charles Best (Coquitlam) (-)
13. Duchess Park (Prince George) (-)
14. KLO (Kelowna) (-)
15. LV Rogers (Nelson) (-)

Honourable mention
HM Brentwood College (Mill Bay) (-)
HM Pinetree (Coquitlam) (-)
HM McMath (Richmond) (-)
HM JN Burnett (Richmond) (-)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bruce

PostSubject: Re: For a couple laughs and cheers to a fantastic season !   Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:08 am

Heres how it all end up . Any final words on this year and thoughts on the future . Hope to see everyone back in full force next season !

16th Place – LV Rogers

15th Place - Kelowna

14th Place - Dover Bay

13th Place – Duchess Park

12th Place – Skeena

11th Place - Claremont

10th Place - Sir Winston Churchill

9th Place – Lord Tweedsmuir

8th Place – Penticton

7th Place – Ballenas

6th Place – Burnaby South

5th Place – Kitsilano

4th Place - McMath

3rd Place - WJ Mouat

2nd Place - SMUS

1st Place – WRCA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bball guy

PostSubject: Re: For a couple laughs and cheers to a fantastic season !   Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:05 pm

At the beginning of the year, I predicted a VC / Kits Provincial final. I do think the quality of ball at the junior level this year (including teams like VC and Pitt who were strong but just were victims of a poor provincial invitation system at jr. level). Hats off to smu as they also flew under the radar all season and showed how strong they were this past weekend.

Congratulations to wrca. I knew they would be good but did not think they had all the pieces to win a championship as we don't see them as often. I was wrong. I saw them play this weekend and they win because I think they have the best starting five in the province and they really play well as a team. No team can focus too much attention on any one of there players, as they will find the open man who is good enough to score. Move the ball very quickly on offence, play hard defence usually limiting teams to 1 shot.

I thought the final wrca - smu game was something I've never seen in jr ball before in terms of crowd (over 1000 people). It reminded me of VC-St.Georges senior games, as well as some memorable loud crowds at the AGRODOME. I think both Junior teams handled the situation well and it was clear they were pumped. I think the refereeing was poor (for both teams), but wrca managed to win it even though tyus (fouled out), peter and sam were in foul trouble early. Great comeback by wrca as I think they were down by 7 at halftime. You could see the determination in their eyes during the 2nd half, they were not going to lose. Mark from smu is a fantastic point guard, distributing the ball very well , scoring when he needed to. SMU is not a big team, but they were clearly well coached and found enough holes in the defence to get some easy looks. Congrats to sam from wrca as mvp.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach fabio

PostSubject: Re: For a couple laughs and cheers to a fantastic season !   Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:56 pm

Congrats to all teams should be an interesting senior season next year, who do you folks think will have strong senior teams next year?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
True bball

PostSubject: Re: For a couple laughs and cheers to a fantastic season !   Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:47 pm

Vc, Pitt, kits, Enver creek, WRCA, bby south, st. Georges, Tupper, oak bay, and Mouat should all be strong next year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach fabio

PostSubject: Re: For a couple laughs and cheers to a fantastic season !   Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:48 pm

I agree with you on most of those teams but I don't think tupper will have a strong team because their juniors were not strong and mouat won't be that good if corey and tristian play junior. I don't know much about oak bay but their juniors weren't that good.

I see the top senior teams next year being: VC, Kits, WRCA, Enver Creek, SMUS(only if they move from aa to aaa)and Palmer and Byrn Creek won't be bad. But their are always some suprise teams.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Balla69

PostSubject: Re: For a couple laughs and cheers to a fantastic season !   Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:48 pm

coach fabio wrote:
I agree with you on most of those teams but I don't think tupper will have a strong team because their juniors were not strong and mouat won't be that good if corey and tristian play junior. I don't know much about oak bay but their juniors weren't that good.

I see the top senior teams next year being: VC, Kits, WRCA, Enver Creek, SMUS(only if they move from aa to aaa)and Palmer and Byrn Creek won't be bad. But their are always some suprise teams.

Mouat will have a very strong team with Cam Friesen and Palmer will not be ranked because their juniors are horrible. Their best player will be Jamie Madewan with no supporting cast, they will not make it out of the lower mainlands.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Re: For a couple laughs and cheers to a fantastic season !   Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:37 pm

I've heard Palmer may be going AA after this year, as their school is the size of AA.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Re: For a couple laughs and cheers to a fantastic season !   Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:39 pm

coach fabio wrote:

I'd say SMUS will still be a top senior team no matter what classification they play in. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BBaller

PostSubject: Re: For a couple laughs and cheers to a fantastic season !   Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:46 pm

coach fabio wrote:

South and Kelowna would probably be able to beat every team on that list.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
r-macbball

PostSubject: Re: For a couple laughs and cheers to a fantastic season !   Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:52 pm

Palmer's grade 10 is still a pretty solid team, they did beat Carson (NS#1) at the VandD's. They're probably more suitable to play at the AA level the next few years cause from what i heard enrollment there is down.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nas

PostSubject: Re: For a couple laughs and cheers to a fantastic season !   Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:05 pm

Palmer should play at AA after this year. I've heard they have the smallest enrollment out of any Richmond school. 600 maybe? Not too sure. And if jas gill could average 30 11 and 8 for south okanagan in AA two years then Jamie madewan should have his way with the division in grade 12. And the 10s did place a respectable 3rd at v and ds without jamie
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: For a couple laughs and cheers to a fantastic season !   Today at 10:59 pm

Back to top Go down

For a couple laughs and cheers to a fantastic season !
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1