HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

who takes it this year
Burnaby South
11%
 11% [ 4 ]
RC PALMER
32%
 32% [ 12 ]
MOUAT
11%
 11% [ 4 ]
KELOWNA
13%
 13% [ 5 ]
OTHERS
33%
 33% [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 38

AuthorMessage
spidey

PostSubject: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:47 pm

put down your thoughts , all stars , mvps , possible finals , upsets
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballer12

PostSubject: Re: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:03 pm

et21 wrote:
put down your thoughts , all stars , mvps , possible finals , upsets

FINAL FOUR

Palmer vs Fox

Kelowna vs South

Should be a good finish to the season
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spidey

PostSubject: Re: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:06 pm

yehh thats probably who its gonna be but mouat is hot right now and they are makin teams look bad Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
valleyball

PostSubject: Re: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:49 pm

does anyone know the game times and location of the st georges challenge games vs kits
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Tonight   Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:14 pm

valleyball wrote:
does anyone know the game times and location of the st georges challenge games vs kits

I think this is correct "Monday March 7th at 7:30pm at Killarney Secondary School. If Lower Mainland #5 loses that game then a second game will take place at 7:30pm on Tuesday March 8th at a location yet to be determined".

I did hear that the second game, if necessary, is also at Killarney. Should be a fun atmosphere.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hoops-9

PostSubject: Re: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:11 pm

So, if St. Georges wins the first game, do they get to go directly to the BCs? Or do they have to win two straight to go? And if St. Georges wins the first and Kits the second, does Kits get to go?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:42 pm

Hoops-9 wrote:
So, if St. Georges wins the first game, do they get to go directly to the BCs? Or do they have to win two straight to go? And if St. Georges wins the first and Kits the second, does Kits get to go?

Saints must win both games to advance. Kits gets advances if they win either game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spidey

PostSubject: Re: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:35 pm

anyone know if the saints won today ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CharlesII

PostSubject: Re: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:21 am

Saints has beaten Kits on Monday Night, 53-52. Wish both teams luck for their Tuesday clash, should be a very close game as it was today.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Saints/Kits   Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:36 pm

It was a really entertaining game between Kits and St. George's last night. Kits dominated the first half and were hitting contested shots. They had some swagger to their game and were not shy of taunting. The swagger seemed to break-down as the game wore on and Saints defensive pressure finally changed the momentum. It was the first time I had seen Kits play. They seemed to have the better individual players, but that was not enough..... St. George's is a young team (one grade 12 and one grade 10) that seems to have gained confidence through the past 3 games and now have momentum behind them. It should be worth the admission tonight. If you like basketball, you cannot miss this one....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopster

PostSubject: Re: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:45 pm

I do not get why St. George's gets a second chance at the Provincials. Last year Mt. Boucherie was ranked 6-8 th most of the season and did not get a second chance when they were eliminated by South Kam. It appears that St. Georges is being favored in this situation. BC boys HS basketball needs to look at what the Girls do and have a half berth that is shared or wildcard tournaments.
Would it not be fair to all to have ranked teams invited to a wildcard tournament this week end to battle for that last spot??? Why does St. Georges get a second chance and no other teams? There are teams better than St. Georges that are going to be watching the Provincials from the stands.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bball_6319

PostSubject: Re: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:02 pm

hoopster wrote:
I do not get why St. George's gets a second chance at the Provincials. Last year Mt. Boucherie was ranked 6-8 th most of the season and did not get a second chance when they were eliminated by South Kam. It appears that St. Georges is being favored in this situation. BC boys HS basketball needs to look at what the Girls do and have a half berth that is shared or wildcard tournaments.
Would it not be fair to all to have ranked teams invited to a wildcard tournament this week end to battle for that last spot??? Why does St. Georges get a second chance and no other teams? There are teams better than St. Georges that are going to be watching the Provincials from the stands.

Actually, I am trying to figure out the same thing - it does seem a bit unfair to teams that got eliminated in their league tournaments. I haven't been able to find a concrete explanation as to why this happened. I think that if an explanation was offered, then the speculation and innuendo might subside a bit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopnharm

PostSubject: Re: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:02 pm

If you have money and lawyers, you can do anything
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:52 pm

hoopnharm wrote:

That's what OJ thought...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
spidey

PostSubject: Re: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:42 pm

Well georges is out and so kits keeps there spot . Thoughts on first days winners?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
asiseeit

PostSubject: David vs Goliath......private vs public...rich vs middle class, call what you want, it was fitting that St george didn't get in. Good that there were no injuries on the Kits side on these 2 St Geirge games heading to the provincials.   Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:45 pm

Sportvictoria wrote:
hoopnharm wrote:

That's what OJ thought...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pooch

PostSubject: Re: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:00 am

I don't know what is so hard to figure out re the St. Georges issue as compared to Boucherie and others.
The others all got into the qualifying tournament which their zone hosted. St. Georges was not given that opportunity until the BC body intervened. Now they have had it and failed to qualify. Fair enough.
No one has ever been given a second chance and neither were Saints.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:17 am

Pooch wrote:
I don't know what is so hard to figure out re the St. Georges issue as compared to Boucherie and others.
The others all got into the qualifying tournament which their zone hosted. St. Georges was not given that opportunity until the BC body intervened. Now they have had it and failed to qualify. Fair enough.

Pooch,

How can you say they were not given the opportunity? If they had beaten Vancouver College they were into the Lower Mainland tourney. They lost to VC and thus were done.

The rules were that they has to win their 2-team league. They didn't do that.

Lyle Dhur
Sportvictoria
Back to top Go down
spidey

PostSubject: Re: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:23 am

Sportvictoria wrote:
Pooch wrote:

Pooch,

How can you say they were not given the opportunity? If they had beaten Vancouver College they were into the Lower Mainland tourney. They lost to VC and thus were done.

The rules were that they has to win their 2-team league. They didn't do that.

Lyle Dhur
Sportvictoria

Exactly what i was going to say cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CharlesII

PostSubject: Re: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:52 am

Pooch, how is it fair that Saints gets another opportunity to make provincials and not anybody else who failed to qualify ? They lost their chance when they were beaten by Vancouver College. However, I do give them a lot of credit in beating them the second time but that doesn't mean anything when the score differential clearly favors VC.

What I do want to point out is that, they seriously have to change the number of births allowed from the Independents. If you think about next year, VC and Saints are going to have great teams who both deserve to go to provincials. The Saints team this year were a game away from provincials and that's with ten grade 11s, one grade 10, and a grade 12. VC will also be strong with great grade 11s. The bottom line is, they should both be able to go.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bball_6319

PostSubject: Re: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:17 am

Why not allocate berths the way they do in the NCAA? League tournament winners get an automatic entry into the provincial tournament, which would guarantee regional representation, then allocate the rest of the available berths based on a team's ranking overall, taking into account wins and losses, strength of schedule, etc? This way, you wouldn't have any teams left out in the cold because they were "behind" another strong team in a league with limited berths.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pooch

PostSubject: Re: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:03 am

My last post on this issue.
The Vancouver schools refuse to allow the independents into their league. Okay, but this means that even if the top two teams in the province are in that league, that one won't get in.
The BC body feels that if that second team is clearly one that might qualify for the BC's through their zone, that they should be given some route to attempt to qualify in a playoff situation. It appears fundamentally unfair to them that this second team has no chance to be in a playoff while all other teams do.
I like the fact that it is not coaches who took this decision. There is obviously a great deal of bias against the independents in the Vancouver area. The BC body does not like to see kids suffer for that.
I am not a fan of St. Georges but I agree with the BC body.
I think it is sad when a good team full of hard-working, basketball-loving kids don't get the opportunity to pursue their dream while others less competent do.
I like some of the proposals put forward in the last couple of posts, and hope there is progress in that direction.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopster

PostSubject: Re: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:23 am

Pooch wrote:
My last post on this issue.
The BC body does not like to see kids suffer for that.
I am not a fan of St. Georges but I agree with the BC body.
I think it is sad when a good team full of hard-working, basketball-loving kids don't get the opportunity to pursue their dream while others less competent do.
I like some of the proposals put forward in the last couple of posts, and hope there is progress in that direction.

I agree with setting up a wildcard tournament for the teams that just miss the playoffs and have one or two berths for these teams.
This is a provincial tournament that means each region has the right to send a representative, there will aleways be "less competent teams" in any Provincial tournament. There are a few teams that did not perform when it counted, St. Georges was one of these teams. It also happened to teams better than St. Georges this season and to many teams in past years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:34 pm

I like Lyle's suggestion of making the AAA provincial tournament a 24-team event, with 20 (or so) representatives from regional and zone playoffs and four berths (or more) available to high ranking teams. It is better to enable a play-in/wildcard tournament, but given the cost and time involved in traveling for many teams, it may make sense to have an independent ranking committee oversee the selection (as is done for the NCAA). There are surely variations around this theme that help provide an opportunity to compete for the best teams from all the regions.

Good luck to all the teams who are competing this year! It seems to be a year of evenly matched teams, with almost any one capable of winning it all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:52 pm

bball_6319 wrote:
Why not allocate berths the way they do in the NCAA? League tournament winners get an automatic entry into the provincial tournament, which would guarantee regional representation, then allocate the rest of the available berths based on a team's ranking overall, taking into account wins and losses, strength of schedule, etc? This way, you wouldn't have any teams left out in the cold because they were "behind" another strong team in a league with limited berths.

POLITICS... straight and simple. With basketball being such a tight-knit community it would be an absolute nightmare to get a group that is impartial to do the job.

Also - now you're making decisions subjective based on strength of schedule and getting coaches to send in scores in the first place is another nightmare. Some coaches also only report win and not the losses. It also is not fair as the cost of travel would be very tough on teams in outlying areas and would highly favour teams in the Greater Vancouver/Fraser Valley area.

Lyle Dhur
Sportvictoria

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Today at 5:15 am

Back to top Go down

2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next