HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

who takes it this year
Burnaby South
11%
 11% [ 4 ]
RC PALMER
32%
 32% [ 12 ]
MOUAT
11%
 11% [ 4 ]
KELOWNA
13%
 13% [ 5 ]
OTHERS
33%
 33% [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 38

AuthorMessage
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:55 pm

Pooch wrote:
My last post on this issue.
The Vancouver schools refuse to allow the independents into their league. Okay, but this means that even if the top two teams in the province are in that league, that one won't get in.
The BC body feels that if that second team is clearly one that might qualify for the BC's through their zone, that they should be given some route to attempt to qualify in a playoff situation. It appears fundamentally unfair to them that this second team has no chance to be in a playoff while all other teams do.
I like the fact that it is not coaches who took this decision. There is obviously a great deal of bias against the independents in the Vancouver area. The BC body does not like to see kids suffer for that.
I am not a fan of St. Georges but I agree with the BC body.
I think it is sad when a good team full of hard-working, basketball-loving kids don't get the opportunity to pursue their dream while others less competent do.
I like some of the proposals put forward in the last couple of posts, and hope there is progress in that direction.

Again Pooch... if there are two top teams in the OK... one will not go to the BCs. So why would St. George's get a 2nd chance when the OK team does not? How is that fair?

Lyle Dhur
Sportvictoria
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
Pooch

PostSubject: Re: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:18 pm

All other teams have a shot at their zone tournament.
Saints were not going to have that opportunity.
It is not a second chance. The qualifying takes place in qualifying tournaments. They were to have no chance to get into the one for their zone.
Yes, they could have beaten VC and gotten in, but then VC at #4 ranking would have had no shot...and the BC body thinks that top teams should have at least the opportunity to be in the playoffs to get to the BC's.
I agree.
Glad Kits made it in the end. They deserve to be there, but Saints deserved at least a shot.

Out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lefon Jang

PostSubject: Re: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:58 pm

I see what Pooch is getting at. Let’s break this down and look at the Lower Mainland Zone Tournament, its participants and their respective rankings in relation to that of St. George’s:

Palmer ( #1)
South (#2)
VC (#3)
Tupper (#7)
St. George’s (#10) – not in the zone tournament
Kitsilano (HM)
Byrne Creek (NR)
Van Tech (NR)
Point Grey (NR)
David Thompson (NR)
Steveston-London (NR)
Churchill (NR)
New West (NR)

As can be seen, St. George’s is ranked higher than 8 of the 12 teams in the LM zone. So the question is why aren’t St. George’s in the zone playoff if they’re ranked fifth in their respective zone? Instead, the LM zone has eliminated them by only allowing one team from their two-team league to participate. We have to look at the bigger picture here. Regardless of what league they’re playing in, if a team is ranked high in their respective zone, they should be included in their zone playoff. This applies to other districts such as Richmond and New West as well, not just the Independent.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachb

PostSubject: Re: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:13 pm

Looking at several of the posts who favour some sort of a committee selecting teams based on rankings, this would present some real problems if anyone would stop and think about just for a moment. The current system is based on the number of schools in a district and hence number of berths. So far the only ones crying "FOUL" about this seem to be the privates. As has been pointed out in the past some very good public school teams have not made it out of their district, but really in those years do you think that the team that ultimately won the Provincials was not the best? While the system is considered to be flawed by some, I think over the years the best teams have won. Considering this year, the best teams are there and good luck to them all, I think we should see some great basketball coming up and best of luck to all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lefon Jang

PostSubject: Re: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:18 pm

There’s no one else crying FOUL except for the privates you said. Well, it takes energy to cry FOUL; the minute you open your mouth they’re people waiting to shut you up. An individual voice in this close-knit community will never be heard. It’ll never be louder than the collective few that cannot accept change or perhaps too protective of their territory. This is not about winning the Provincial; it’s about having a fair chance to compete.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
johnwall2

PostSubject: Re: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:35 pm

Lefon Jang wrote:
There’s no one else crying FOUL except for the privates you said. Well, it takes energy to cry FOUL; the minute you open your mouth they’re people waiting to shut you up. An individual voice in this close-knit community will never be heard. It’ll never be louder than the collective few that cannot accept change or perhaps too protective of their territory. This is not about winning the Provincial; it’s about having a fair chance to compete.

is it fair they are allowed to recruit and public schools cant? hmmm weird....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:44 pm

johnwall2 wrote:
Lefon Jang wrote:

is it fair they are allowed to recruit and public schools cant? hmmm weird....

Not true.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DesiBaller

PostSubject: Re: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:57 pm

Don't be surprised if Tamanawis surprises someone in the first round saw there game against PM this year and they are a dominant team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spidey

PostSubject: Re: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:03 pm

lol as in princess margaret or as in pitt meadows
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DesiBaller

PostSubject: Re: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:21 pm

Princess Margaret yeah obviously PM isn;t that great but even again Sequam when they use there bigs there a great team, whos the new coach btw for Tamanawis?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballertohoop

PostSubject: Let it go St George - Its over.   Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:54 am

Lefon Jang wrote:
There’s no one else crying FOUL except for the privates you said. Well, it takes energy to cry FOUL; the minute you open your mouth they’re people waiting to shut you up. An individual voice in this close-knit community will never be heard. It’ll never be louder than the collective few that cannot accept change or perhaps too protective of their territory. This is not about winning the Pro
vincial; it’s about having a fair chance to compete.

Seems St George were given several chances to get into BC and blew them all. but your right about having a "fair" chance. The second chance they were given was certainly not fair - not to other teams who had been knocked out, not to Kitsilano - who had earned the right for 5th birth and were forced to play two more games, and risked the chance of losing that birth. The winning teams have moved onto the BC - may the best team win.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spidey

PostSubject: Re: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:56 am

LOL pm is horrible so that shouldnt count tammy hasn't beaten a top team yet so they probably wont get passed there second game vs south the best team they've beaten is seaquam and they couldn't even beat enver when they were on a roll
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stocktonsshorts

PostSubject: Re: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:47 pm

Looking forward to an outstanding week of basketball out at the LEC. Should be some upsets and some great matchups along the way. Stay tuned for my daily picks, 23 for 26 at the valley tournament but this will be way harder as I have not seen many of these teams play. We'll see how it goes.... March Madness baby!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spidey

PostSubject: Re: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:00 pm

List of games for tuesday ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:28 pm

et21 wrote:
List of games for tuesday ?

www.sportvictoria.com for the tree and the draw/grid.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
spidey

PostSubject: Re: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:49 pm

tamanawis VS baker
Pitt meadows VS Caledonia
Gleneagle VS Prince George
kitsilano VS Fleetwood Park

Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopster

PostSubject: Re: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:20 am

Tuesday
Tamanawis VS Mt Baker
Pitt meadows VS Caledonia
Gleneagle VS Prince George
Kitsilano VS Fleetwood Park This one will be the only close game on Tues

Wednesday

Heritage Woods VS Argyle Have not seen Argyle play this season. Lots of preseason hype!
Palmer VS Tamanwis Is Tamanwis finally going to play to their potential?
Fox VS Tupper The game of the night!
Pitt VS Dover Seedings should be reversed, so Pitt winning is no upset!

VC VS Grove I stand corrected, this will be the other game of the night.
KSS VS Gleneagle Is KSS finally healthy?
South VS Oak Bay South 6th seed they will play with a chip on their shoulder.
Moaut VS Kits Kits will have to play well against Moaut as they have found their A game recently

Palmer looks like they have the easier road to the finals as they are the only team in their pool
that is a top 4 team.
The bottom half of the draw will feature quality games all of the way!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spidey

PostSubject: Re: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:28 am

Wednesday
Heritage Woods VS Argyle close at the start then heritages size kicks in
Palmer VS Tamanwis tamanawis is slow and doesnt run back palmer wins by 20+
Fox VS Tupper Fox full roster takes it i can see it being close
Pitt VS Dover no comments
VC VS Grove close game should be a good one
KSS VS Gleneagle KSS size and guard play beats em
South VS Oak Bay South by 20
Moaut VS Kits mouat size and athleticism will out work kits ( depending on if kits gets past fleetwood)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vancity55555

PostSubject: Re: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:13 am

DesiBaller wrote:
Princess Margaret yeah obviously PM isn;t that great but even again Sequam when they use there bigs there a great team, whos the new coach btw for Tamanawis?

New coach is Surinder Grewal. He's the co coach of athelite along with aman heran. I dont know why aman left tamanawis though he's a really good coach.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spidey

PostSubject: Re: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:24 am

He left to pursue the athelite company and make it bigger and he wasnt a very good coach in high school
Back to top Go down
View user profile
johnwall2

PostSubject: Re: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:20 pm

Would be interesting if Kelowina won and the 'A', 'AA', and 'AAA' champions were all from the Okanogan!
Can't wait should be some great games!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spidey

PostSubject: Re: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:46 pm

If the owls are healthy and play good they can take AAA i can see it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
And 1

PostSubject: Re: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:54 pm

With this being such a competitive Provincial tournament i would have thought there would be more team in the poll

Terry Fox should have also been part of the poll
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spidey

PostSubject: Re: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:34 pm

And 1 wrote:
With this being such a competitive Provincial tournament i would have thought there would be more team in the poll

Terry Fox should have also been part of the poll
I took the team that one there region and who have been the favorites all year i personally like terry fox but since mouat beat them by 20 .. id say that there the best valley team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BallIsLifeDelta

PostSubject: Re: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:55 am

Going to be an exciting provincials, I have Burnaby South taking it there probably the least liked team in the Provincials but it would be nice to see a team like that take it...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS    Today at 7:33 am

Back to top Go down

2011 TRIPLE A BOYS PROVINCIALS
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next