HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

This Years Girls Class

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
AA Fan

PostSubject: This Years Girls Class   Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:29 pm

How does this years girls class stack up and where are they going ??
I have heard,
Picard -St.Fx ( Don't have to worry about the guard position for 4 years)
Belding - Acadia ( Great shooter and good work ethic)
Goodine, Vass and Anderson STU ( Joining an already strong team, Look Out)
Gillis ?
Wilson and McHatten ??
Leblanc ?
Donahue ?
Pretty strong looking group . Maybe the best in a few years ?????
Back to top Go down
View user profile
obcnamtaf

PostSubject: Re: This Years Girls Class   Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:21 pm

probably the deepest group to come out of NB in many years

Also , rumour has it
Gillis - Dal
Donahue - PEI
Wilson , McHatton - Mt A
LeBlanc - still uncommiyyed but would be a very good ACAA player . Could help someone...Heard Holland College is interested
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ForceHimLeft

PostSubject: Re: This Years Girls Class   Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:38 am

Really glad UNB goes after the top tier talent in NB..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lebronrocks

PostSubject: Re: This Years Girls Class   Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:46 am

ForceHimLeft wrote:

Interesting point. Is it UNB is not interested in these NB kids or is it , these kids are not interested in UNB?
If you look at UNB roster it is virtually all NB kids (except for the one alberta player)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ForceHimLeft

PostSubject: Re: This Years Girls Class   Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:26 am

lebronrocks wrote:
ForceHimLeft wrote:

Interesting point. Is it UNB is not interested in these NB kids or is it , these kids are not interested in UNB?
If you look at UNB roster it is virtually all NB kids (except for the one alberta player)
Honestly it's a little bit of both. On the mens side its like they don't look into local talent at all. The UNB mens program must expect plays in NB to attend UNB. I could only imagine if they courted Anthony Sears to attend, it's not like Acadia is in that much better of a situation than UNB is.

As far this years top tier talent, they let Brad States slip through the cracks, they do need a point guard so perhaps Matt Daley may be on their list of players to talk to. As much as I dislike Richie Wilkins, the kid knows how to ball, he should also be looked into. UNB is graduating 3 for sure, possibly 4 players. A lot of holes to be filled with 3 of those being starters.

The only real incentive for players to come to UNB who live in New Brunswick is that it is close to home, the program doesn't exactly catch the eye of high tier out of province players (excluding our Womens program), we get the leftover 2nd and 3rd options from random high schools in Ontario. Coach Bakers mentality isn't exactly a "players coach" warm, cuddly, welcoming feeling. If only the players attending UNB knew what the next 4- 5 years of their playing career will be like under his command.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
student

PostSubject: Re: This Years Girls Class   Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:19 pm

thought this was for girls?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lebronrocks

PostSubject: Re: This Years Girls Class   Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:37 pm

I am not sure I get your point FHL. Both UNB teams , Men and women are top heavy with NB kids. Quioron,Deroche,Wilson,Wright,Irvine , the Anderson kid a few yrs ago , Kierstead, King ...etc. All of whom were top NB recruits when they came out of High school. The girls side , Corbys , Fowler, Sharpe, Russell...etc
Yeah he didn't get Sears or States , or Gillis or Pickard on the girls side but still it seems that some of the top NB talent ends up at UNB year after year ? I am betting Wilkens , Esson and lafleur are on the radar. Daley is most likely too small for the CIS and will probably join his brother at Holland College.
Some of those RHS and WHS girls are probably be talked to by Speedy as well. There is competition out there for these players. Can UNB compete with other AUS schools in attracting players? Is that an issue?
Curious to hear some details about what you mean by "players coach"?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Baller001

PostSubject: Re: This Years Girls Class   Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:07 am

I am betting Wilkens , Esson and lafleur are on the radar. Daley is most likely too small for the CIS and will probably join his brother at Holland College.

[/quote]

As of right now I heard that Daley is being strongly recruited by Baker and will play at UNB.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
student

PostSubject: Re: This Years Girls Class   Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:59 pm

again this is girls. funny your need to post this twice
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lebronrocks

PostSubject: Re: This Years Girls Class   Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:47 pm

student wrote:
again this is girls. funny your need to post this twice

Thinking the same thing...but overall observation is that UNB women seem to be well stocked with NB talent (as do the men ) They cannot get all the top recruits but they get a lot of em.....so not seeing the" UNB not recruiting NB players argument " ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: This Years Girls Class   Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:54 pm

UNB has a lot of good NB players all over its roster. Some things to consider:

- Its tougher to recruit hard when you are focused on winning now. Unlike some of these other schools who were not really in CIS hunt and have been looking to upgrade all along, UNB has been a serious CIS contender all year and Coach Speedy is worried about the here and now.

- Coach Speedy is graduating some players this year who will obiviously need to be replaced in the short and long term but none of them are at positions that this group is heavy with when you look at Coach Speedy's system. HE needs particular types of players at each position.

- His best scorer not graduating is a freshman who the team will probably be built around so he will need experienced skilled players to come back and be as strong next year and could be taking a look at ACAA up grades rather then high school players this year.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: This Years Girls Class   Today at 3:20 pm

Back to top Go down

This Years Girls Class
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1