HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

new tiering proposal

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
coachb

PostSubject: Re: new tiering proposal   Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:00 pm

Volleyball you make some excellent points in comparing community sports programs to the current situation in high school basketball.
Some, from the points you made about creating a club system, would be concerned that if there were only a few club teams even less players would be able to play. On the surface this would be true, but this is does not happen in the mature community programs. In hockey and soccer as 2 examples everyone who registers in time gets to play. The programs are structured to develop players at all levels and then have a top tier. All of these programs have a developed infrastructure which would not exist for basketball. The sport at this time is most developed in the school system with the majority of those schools being public schools.
There-in is where you have a fundamental issue to consider, the public schools mandate is for public education as an inclusive entity not specifically for sports development. Yet within the school system sports have many benefits not the least of which is helping students to be part of a community. So what do you propose? A club system that would go through major pain in starting up? The least part of that start up would be facilities and money. Or perhaps we leave it in the high schools and, allow, as it would seem you suggest, students the chance to transfer between schools that may have a better program?
Your points raise many issues but don't seem to clearly point in a direction.
One thing seems clear from all the posts I have seen, something needs to change, perhaps the current proposals are not the best, however if nothing changes then problems continue to fester. I would rather see a change and then a review process in place. Then perhaps further improvements will be possible in the future. Standing still should not be an option.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
valleyball

PostSubject: Re: new tiering proposal   Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:31 pm

As a parent I wasn't intending to participate in this debate. After all, one would assume a governing body such as Basketball BC and its stakeholders would undergoe a process to "research and address" the root of the problems within High School Basketball.

I think there is alot of positive things in this sport but the objective should be take the development of the game to the next level, so that we develop more provincial/national players and more athletes receive scholarships for their dedication.

At the very least, if the current high school system stays in tact, and more conditions are set towards limiting player transfer, then we are basically taking an emotional approach to a problem and not actually understanding the magnitude of the situation.

Presently, an uneven playing field exists in high school basketball, and the following occur

1) All basketball coaches must be certified by Basketball BC and at junior/senior, you must pass some sort of accredition demonstrating knowledge of the game and ability to coach/develop players. After all, though volunteers they are the main contributors to a player's development.
2) Schools should not be automatically placed at the highest level of competition (based on numbers only) such as triple A, without a fully committed basketball program.
3) Any small school be permitted to play at the highest if they can demonstrate such.
4) Players who live in areas, where there is NO recognized triple A program (as identified by basketball bc) be permitted to transfer to the next two closest triple a programs.
It would allow these players to develop better, a more transparent process and provide their original school an opportunity to either play at a lower level (which they are competitive at or raise their standards )
5) Some large schools may not want to invest in creating a basketball program, so let it be, and why let the kids in their catchment suffer?
6) Regional Programming and training be introduced by Basketball BC to supplement the current high school programs, so that kids who want to stay at the single/double a for academic or other reasons can still NOT fall behind and be noticed.

What these solutions will do is allow more competitive basketball and raise the standards of development. There is some sort of accountability, and flexibility if we are going to try and resolve a student athlete's decision to transfer. Not every big school earns the right to compete at the highest level, without adhering to some standards (off season training, open gyms, morning training, travel, experienced/respected coaches)

Most players I have known just want to be in a basketball culture.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball

PostSubject: Re: new tiering proposal   Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:36 pm

Personally i think this new rule is ridiculous. The fact that a team is not allowed to play in the big leagues just because of there school size is absurd. You cant just crush kids dreams like this because coaches arent happy they arent winning, trying to kick out successful programs so they have a better chance. Coaches please do not vote for this rule just let the kids play
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachb

PostSubject: Re: new tiering proposal   Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:01 am

Ball - The end goal of the motion if I understand it correctly is to pattern the championships on the US model where there exists the various levels for a championship. In the US quite often the best players and school programs are not in the Quad A championship, rather the approach is to place equal worth or value on each levels champiuonship. As a result you provide a greater opportunity for players to gain exposure. In a real sense we are not very progressive in this Province and diminish those players in anything less than a triple A championship. There have been many players from single A and up who have gone onto play in college and university ball and too often we fail to recognize the great players who perhaps were not able to relocate to play for a triple A team. By striving to place equal worth on all levels of the championships it would seem to me that progres would be made.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachb

PostSubject: Re: new tiering proposal   Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:22 am

Volleyball - Just to correct one flaw Basketball BC has nothing to do with high school basketball so some of your intended points are not even valid to the case at hand. However we do have a coaching accreditation program in Canada which has several levels. Some of the theory units are the same for multi sport accreditation. Basketball BC does help in offering some of these courses other units are available through local colleges.
As a parent of 5 children that have gone through a mixture of both public and private schools I will say that when choosing a school my first concern was always education and this should be primary for all parents. In discussions I have had with coaches over the years for the most part they recognize that in a system with out the regular transfer of players between schools some years will be better than others just the odds if you will. But many of these, in some cases very dedicated coaches, they have not seen that happen due to the inordinate number of players attending schools out of the catchment area. You would actual perpetuate this by what you propose. In the case of teachers they have things such as seniority and such to consider so to shift schools is not at times even an option.
Looking at the heat that has been generated in the debate I could not even imagine who would be able to determine if a school would be able to play down.
If there exists an uneven playing field it is due to transfers and different rules that apply to schools which are supposed to be an abuse of the current rules.
By the way your point 6 already exists.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
karnsharda12

PostSubject: Re: new tiering proposal   Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:04 am

I believe the new proposal is great it is time for a change in my opinion and the 4 tiers would be great for the development of basketball at the high school level but i would allow teams to move to the top tier if they felt they wanted to challenge at the highest tier and also i would have a mini tournament of champions first round would be A vs AAAA and AA vs AAA winners playoff for bragging rights as being the top team in the province would make for great fun
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ceelow75

PostSubject: Re: new tiering proposal   Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:06 am

The tournament of champions sounds like a good idea. I think they have that in New Jersey with the public school league and catholic school league champions compete against each other
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegediknight

PostSubject: Re: new tiering proposal   Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:56 am

Many of the posts above have been extremely critical of an association that has worked tirelessly for decades to bring excellent basketball to the province of BC. The people that run high school basketball in the province have provided an incredible experience for players, coaches, parents, and the public, developing student-athletes through the sport of basketball and providing top-notch sporting entertainment; this is true at all levels A, AA and AAA.

Our current system works. It is not perfect and yes some improvements can be made, but it works.

We don't need a club system outside to develop players. The coaching in high schools in this province is phenomonal, and all are volunteers. These are extremely dedicated individuals that sacrifice their own time with their families to develop student athletes. This is a system based on passion.

In truth, the size of the school has little bearing on success. It is about the program. The reason that you often see the same schools competing at the A, AA, and AAA provincial championships has much more to do with passionate coaches that develop their schools athletes and much less to do with the size of the school. The reason these schools are there is because they put in the time and energy. Those people that are involved in producing a consistently high level program, year in and year out should be the ones that are rewarded with berths to the provincial championships.

There will of course always be those special groups out of "hoosier" style schools when everything comes together and they qualify...and this is wonderful! It will put their program on the map and will provide an opportunity for that school to develop a program.

The development of four tiers will indeed give the opportunity for more schools to attend provincial championships (64 up from the current 50). But will it water down the level of competition in the tournaments? Maybe, maybe not? How many great basketball programs have never made the championships? One thing is clear, it will cost money, time and many more volunteers. Is there money to run a fourth tournament? Can 16 more schools in the province afford to travel to the provincials? Who will run this extra tournament and do they have any idea of the manpower and dedication involved?

In addition, by creating a AAAA tier, you are automatically creating some significant geographical problems. First, there will be zones that lack a AAAA option. So who "gets" those berths at the provincial championships? Secondly, the new AAA and new AA tiers will create geographical difficulties for league play as well as for zone tournaments. (Read the document: look at the schools in your zone...think about the repercussions to your league, and zone tournaments).

The motion to disallow schools to move to a higher tier is fundamentally against what the BCHSBBA first set out to do. And that is : the opportunity for the best teams to challenge each other for the top prize. I am not discrediting either of the A or AA tiers with this comment. There is incredible parity in both these tiers and the level of coaching and commitment, tournaments offered and dedication from athletes is as high as the AAA leagues. However, I think that most would agree that the level of basketball at the top-end of the AAA league is superior. Look who gets all the media attention.

The third motion is a red herring. There are transfer rules now. Student-athletes are drawn to schools for a variety of reasons and parents and students should have the choice to be educated at an institution that fits their individual needs. If a student transfers after the first day of grade 10 they must sit out a year. These rules should be enforced. Punishing students who transfer by not allowing them to play at all (no exhibition or practice for one year) is too severe and why should the player be punished if they choose to make a change? Yes there should be rules; what we have now is working. By the way has anyone thought of the transferring that would go on after the creation of a league with four tiers and no movement between tiers? Guess where the best athletes will go?

Finally, this is too late in the process for schools and coaches to be hearing of this for the first time. The AGM meeting is next Saturday morning. Due process has not been done to ensure that all parties were informed of these motions. This vote should at the very least be postponed.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pooch

PostSubject: Re: new tiering proposal   Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:07 am

Thank you for the excellent, well thought out post.
Let's hope calm minds prevail at the AGM.
We have a wonderful high school basketball scene in B.C. and any major changes need cool minds and rational thought.
I completely agree that kids deserve a chance for a level playing field from their side, too. Programs and coaches are not equal. They range from fabulous to not so good and kids who love this game deserve the right to play in as good a program as the kid down the road. I see nothing wrong with a kid who is passionate about basketball choosing his school on the basis of the basketball program. There are good academic teachers in every school so this does not mean academics suffer when a kid does that. If someone is pursuing those kids, then there are rules against that and they should be enforced. I think that happens rarely and the "R" word is used too much. Good programs attract...whether for piano or basketball...and that is a great thing. Committed kids are of course aware of who has a good reputation and a few make the choice to move. Most kids prefer to stay in their natural school and committed coaches trying to build a program will soon find that they are losing no one. Kids do not need to be trapped at the school which offers them little of what they hope for.
Anyway, thanks Mr. gediknight...great post.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Clubs too   Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:49 am

Thanks for your last post thegediknight. I think you are correct on all your points, except that we do need a strong club system to provide off-season training and high quality competition outside the school system.
Mark Scott
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bostonstrangler

PostSubject: Re: new tiering proposal   Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:07 pm

I agree - great post by thegediknight. Creating a 4th tier would have a significant impact on the landscape of high school basketball including:

• logistical nightmares (travel/expense etc) for many teams/regions

• watered down leagues and provincial championships (making earning a provincial berth less meaningful - you should have to beat some tough teams to get there, it is good that not EVERYONE gets to go)

• damaging the ability to actually coordinate and run an effective provincial championships - the AA's would be a great example of this. It is a very well run tourney that needs hundreds of volunteers which they get from the families of the host schools. Right now they have 3 host schools to help but this change would mean at least one and possibly two less schools that would stay AA and they simply would not have the manpower to make this great event happen.

I am sure there are other implications but these are the ones that jump out at me initially. Perhaps just as disturbing is the thought that until a few days ago, most coaches/AD's in the province had no idea that these changes were being proposed. Something has to be done about the system of getting information out and making the voting process more inclusive. Saying "people need to go to the meeting if they actually care about the sport" seems a little unfair when it is hosted at the same time and in the same place every year - it seems to me that by doing this only the same voices will be heard and the decisions will be made by a small group that would not represent the best interests of basketball across the province - it would be very difficult for this group to have a clear idea of how other regions would be impacted or feel about proposed changes. The system for creating change needs to be improved. I think that technology could play a major role in bringing more coaches/AD's together to share information, ideas and ultimately affect positive change in the best interest of the kids.

Finally, as I read the proposed motions for the AGM, it seems to me that they are knee jerk reactions to the understandable frustration felt by coaches who feel recruiting has become too large an issue in highschool basketball. I agree that the current system is not ideal but I urge those in favor of some of these motions to carefully consider the implications these will have on high school kids. High school sports should be about giving kids opportunities to play sports, not restricting them. My impression is that there is a very small handful of students who "transfer" for basketball each year. The proposed motions might prevent this small group from changing schools, but it would also ruin the high school careers of the many more who transfer for legitimate reasons (moving, academic, social concerns etc). I worry that some coaches have lost sight of why they hopefully got into coaching in the first place - to give back to the game and to give kids the opportunity to play such a great team sport. "Owning" kids is an absurd notion. They are not commodities. Kids choose schools for a variety of reasons and the coaching or experience that they will get playing their favorite support seems like it should be something they consider. We should be finding ways to give kids more opportunities to play as opposed to finding more ways to restrict them. Having coaches or schools approach high school students to convince them to go to their school does smell wrong to me - I know it happens, and it would be nice to find a way to prevent this from occurring but the benefit has to outweigh the cost. I would rather allow a student to transfer for basketball then prevent others from playing simply because they had to change schools.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zoons

PostSubject: Re: new tiering proposal   Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:08 am

You just contradict yourself bostonstrangler.

"watered down leagues and provincial championships (making earning a provincial berth less meaningful - you should have to beat some tough teams to get there, it is good that not EVERYONE gets to go)"

Then go on to say:

"We should be finding ways to give kids more opportunities to play as opposed to finding more ways to restrict them."

Isn't that what a another tier would be? Another opportunity for teams to continue playing in the post season. To play for a provinicial championship. People complain now that not all the best teams in the provinice are even at the provincial championships. Right now, as it is, only the best teams from different regions in the province are there, not the best teams in province. Look at the AAA division this year...St. Georges is one of the best teams in the AAA tier and not at the provinicals. I'm sure they are better than a bunch of teams in there...Mt. Baker???? auytomatic berth??? Come on. I'm sure that can be said for all tiers. A good AA team or A team that is better than a team in another region but is from a very tough region and can't get out. Why not add another tier, give more teams a chance to keep playing. Sounds like adding another tier is "finding ways to give kids more opportunities to play as opposed to finding more ways to restrict them".

As for the logistics...that is always going to be an issue. It is an issue now. Our provinice is HUGE. Everyone has to travel at some point. Face it, if you live away from alot of schools you are going to have to travel. It's a logistical nightmare now. At least the playing field of 4 tiers would be worth it. Better opportunity to get to provincials!
As for the various provinical tournaments, it ridiculous that they are not all at the same venue, with the same press coverage, with the same organization committee. I never saw one article, writeup or coverage in any newspaper, tv station for the AA or A provinicial championship. I know that both are well run and have exceptional teams and are great events but lets unite these things. its long overdue. How about having a committee that organizes ALL the provinicial championships. Instead of separate groups. The press would have a field day. Sponsors would be all over that. BC's own March Madness for all high school basketball. Let's make some changes and start moving forward instead of standing still.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
TightD

PostSubject: Re: new tiering proposal   Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:44 am

"watered down leagues and provincial championships (making earning a provincial berth less meaningful - you should have to beat some tough teams to get there, it is good that not EVERYONE gets to go)"

Excellent point...just as i was appalled when they started handing out participation ribbons at elementary sports days. Hey...everybody gets the same prize whether you came first or tenth. Wonder what the motivation will be for the lazy coaches who don't spend the time on their programs will be? Kids treated as nothing more than property yet if you want to transfer to another school for a "great" academic program their is nothing standing in your way...what a joke.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bostonstrangler

PostSubject: Re: new tiering proposal   Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:42 am

Zoons - I don't think I am contradicting myself. Being given an opportunity to play and earning a post season berth are two different things. In addition, traveling for league play and traveling for playoffs or provincials are also quite different. Having all the tiers play at the same venue and same time is an interesting idea - I admit there is some appeal though I would have some concerns about the non AAA or AAAA tournaments being marginalized and it would be one hell of a job to organize and run. Nonetheless, even if someone felt they could pull this off and run a great tournament for all participants, creating a 4th tier is not a prerequisite.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Vote   Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:47 pm

Does anyone know the result of the meeting and various motions presented at the AGM today?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: new tiering proposal   Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:24 pm

Mark Scott wrote:

Does anyone know the result of the meeting and various motions presented at the AGM today?

Mark,

I was not at the AGM as I was down on the floor doing a podcast - but this is what I know from people I have talked to.

The 24-second shot/8-second backcourt apparently passed 30-28 - that now MAY have to go to a mail vote where 66.7 % would be needed to vote in favour of it for it to pass.

The 4-tier proposal passed nearly unanimous - only 2 voted against it. Haney and some team from the OK. It now has to go to a mail vote and has to pass 66.7%.

Yes to playing up - Lower tiers are allowed to move up to higher tiers.

Yes to the "tightening" up of transfer rules - from what I understand it is when you enter a school that you can graduate from; then you are committed to it. So if you, as a grade 7 go to a secondary that is 8-12 then you are committed to that school (going elsewhere would require you to sit out). If as a middle school grade 8 enter a 9-12 then you are committed as a grade 9 to that school until you graduate. If you go to a middle school that is up to grade 9 then your secondary school you go to for grade 10 would be where you are committed to. This I think has to go to BC School Sports for approval – it also might be adopted for all sports.

Lyle Dhur
Sportvictoria
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
ceelow75

PostSubject: Re: new tiering proposal   Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:28 pm

[quote="Sportvictoria"]
Mark Scott wrote:

The 24-second shot/8-second backcourt apparently passed 30-28 - that now MAY have to go to a mail vote where 66.7 % would be needed to vote in favour of it for it to pass.

a

I was at that meeting. I believe that it only needed a majority so no mail vote required. The only ones that required a mail in vote were about the tiering and transfer rules
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller1000

PostSubject: Re: new tiering proposal   Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:58 pm

Sportvictoria wrote:
Mark Scott wrote:

Mark,

I was not at the AGM as I was down on the floor doing a podcast - but this is what I know from people I have talked to.

The 4-tier proposal passed nearly unanimous - only 2 voted against it. Haney and some team from the OK. It now has to go to a mail vote and has to pass 66.7%.

Yes to playing up - Lower tiers are allowed to move up to higher tiers.

Yes to the "tightening" up of transfer rules - from what I understand it is when you enter a school that you can graduate from; then you are committed to it. So if you, as a grade 7 go to a secondary that is 8-12 then you are committed to that school (going elsewhere would require you to sit out). If as a middle school grade 8 enter a 9-12 then you are committed as a grade 9 to that school until you graduate. If you go to a middle school that is up to grade 9 then your secondary school you go to for grade 10 would be where you are committed to. This I think has to go to BC School Sports for approval – it also might be adopted for all sports.

Lyle Dhur
Sportvictoria

How many coaches were at the meeting representing how many schools?

I believe it was a very small number out of those that will be ultimately able to vote.

The transfer rule tightening is contrary to current BC School Sports rules. It would require a change to those rules, which are in fact, the rules that all school sports are supposed to operate by.

Since I don't hear anyone, but a very vocal group of Lower Mainland basketball coaches complaining, I wonder what appetite there will be at BC School Sports, to redraft their competitive rules because one small group has an axe to grind.

If they do change the rules, I think they open a logistical can of worms and will set themselves up for no end of legal challenges.

I am familiar with some kids that transferred and their situations. It would be morally and ethically wrong to penalize them by taking away sports participation at a critical stage of their development. There are those that will argue that they could "play" where they are, but that is unrealistic if there is no coaching or an uncommitted team or school.

This is a small group making a mountain out of a mole hill and a solution for a problem that has not really been proven or defined IMO.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: new tiering proposal   Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:50 pm

Thanks for the update Lyle. I heard there was going to be a motion to exclude independents from competing next year. Not sure if it made it to the floor, or if it was hearsay.

Were there motions that were voted down?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: new tiering proposal   Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:05 am

baller1000 wrote:

How many coaches were at the meeting representing how many schools?

I believe it was a very small number out of those that will be ultimately able to vote.

The transfer rule tightening is contrary to current BC School Sports rules. It would require a change to those rules, which are in fact, the rules that all school sports are supposed to operate by.

Since I don't hear anyone, but a very vocal group of Lower Mainland basketball coaches complaining, I wonder what appetite there will be at BC School Sports, to redraft their competitive rules because one small group has an axe to grind.

If they do change the rules, I think they open a logistical can of worms and will set themselves up for no end of legal challenges.

I am familiar with some kids that transferred and their situations. It would be morally and ethically wrong to penalize them by taking away sports participation at a critical stage of their development. There are those that will argue that they could "play" where they are, but that is unrealistic if there is no coaching or an uncommitted team or school.

This is a small group making a mountain out of a mole hill and a solution for a problem that has not really been proven or defined IMO.

Well the one vote I had a number for was 30-28 - so that tells me at least 58 for the number of schools; as votes are issued at 1 per school - not one per coach. That is about one-fifth of the schools out there.

As I mentioned earlier - the transfer rule will now go to BC School Sports and may be adopted for all sports.

It's not a small group that support the tightening of the transfer rule - that has a lot of support from what I can tell when talking with a good cross-section of coaches over the past two weeks.

Participating in extracurricular activities is a privilege and not a right... so good luck on the legal challenges.

Lyle Dhur
Sportvictoria
Back to top Go down
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: new tiering proposal   Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:07 am

Mark Scott wrote:

Thanks for the update Lyle. I heard there was going to be a motion to exclude independents from competing next year. Not sure if it made it to the floor, or if it was hearsay.

Were there motions that were voted down?

That rumour comes up every year in advance of the AGM - but I don't know too many, if any, coaches that think that way. There certianly is not a lot of support for it.

Back to top Go down
oldbulldog

PostSubject: Re: new tiering proposal   Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:10 pm

This year's AGM was packed and additional chairs had to be brought in to accommodate everyone. I believe they announced 100 + schools registered to vote at the AGM (there were a total of 274 schools registered with BCBBBA this year). There were coaches from the Lower Mainland, Independents, Fraser Valley, Island and Interior. Representatives from AA and A level schools also spoke on many of the resolutions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: new tiering proposal   Today at 9:59 pm

Back to top Go down

new tiering proposal
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2