HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

4a provincials 2011 predictions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
canuck

PostSubject: 4a provincials 2011 predictions   Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:56 pm

Mens:

Edmonton - no real surprises there, minor shuffle of the top 3.
South - only one team there, Raymond is so far out front, the only question was who would be the best of the rest (congrats Cardston).
South Central - some strong 3A teams but no real 4A strength this season.
North West - Grand Prairie - tourney close to home so they get their auto-bid (as usual, the arguments for play-in games for zones that aren't ranked make sense)
North East - Lloydminister/Westwood - haven't heard if one of them is coming.

The excitement this weekend was in Calgary. Western has earned a lot of attention this year but those Ghosts played the best city tournament and took the title. Father Lacombe has some talent but couldn't keep up - I'm not sure they could have even if #9 would have been on. I've been hearing rumblings about the 'Caspers' crew (ghost joke) but I saw them in the final and wow! If they play like that, I'm not sure the #1 seeded comets will be able to compete with the inside game. Frankly, that is the match-up I'd pay to see.

Womens side - this is the second time I've seen those wiley Coyotes from Centennial and it is the same story there. They didn't look like they were even trying as they blew past the talented Churchill team. I saw them play at another tournament in Calgary and they absolutely dominated every game they played. It looked like the Ainley of last season when they had the twin Plouffe's!

Here is the link to this year's provincials (the draws have not been populated yet but some of the team rosters are there):

http://76.12.105.174/page.cfm?s=116

Play ball!

I still pick Raymond to win the mens side but give Grandin the nod as the team that can beat them.

I pick Centennial to take the ladies side.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ominous

PostSubject: Re: 4a provincials 2011 predictions   Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:55 am

Who ended being the top seeds from Edmonton? When do the final seedings come out?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: 4a provincials 2011 predictions   Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:47 pm

Does anyone know why there are 17 team rosters listed on the Shep website for provincials, with Henry Wisewood suddenly showing up. How did they qualify?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NuthinButNet

PostSubject: Re: 4a provincials 2011 predictions   Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:21 pm

The Schedule is set:

4a Boys

1.Raymond
16.Westwood

8.Paul Kane
9.L.C.I

4.Father Lacombe
13. St. FX

5. Jasper Place
12.Bishop McNally

2. Harry Ainlay
15.Grand Prairie

7.Cardston
10.Ross Sheppard

3.Bishop Grandin
14.Notre Dame

6.Western Canada
11. Foothills

4A Girls

1.O'Leary
16.Westwood

8.EP Scarlett
9.Raymond

4.Spruce Grove
13.Hunting Hills

5.Western Canada
12.Ross Sheppard

2.Centennial
15.Grand Prairie

7Catholic Central
10. Harry Ainlay

3. Churchill
14.Foothills

6.Jasper Place
11. Cardston

Predictions??? Upsets? Champions? Looks to be an awesome Provincials this year!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: 4a provincials 2011 predictions   Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:41 pm

Wisewood has been removed from the roster page, not quite sure what was going on there earlier but they have straightened it out. I do not see any upsets in the first round except for Shep playing in their own gym knocking off Cardston. Top seeds will hold.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bballadvocate

PostSubject: Re: 4a provincials 2011 predictions   Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:57 pm

How does western get a 6 seed. Interesting! Who is Westwood?? Never hears of them, hopefully Raymond takes it easy on them. grandin western is the 2nd round. That will be awsome. Lacombe looks to have landed a nice 4 seed staying away from a lot of the bigger teams. If they get hot I think they could give Raymond fits. Mangok vs Jimmy would be a nice treat. Good luck to all The teams!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rebelsbasketbal

PostSubject: Re: 4a provincials 2011 predictions   Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:06 pm

Top Bracket :
Raymond vs Jasper Place in the semis

Bottom Bracket
Ainlay vs Western in the semis.

Finals.

JP vs Ainlay.

As for the girls...
O'leary vs Spruce Grove in the semis for the top bracket

Centennial vs Jasper Place in the semis for the bottom bracket.

Finals
O'leary vs Jasper Place.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 4a provincials 2011 predictions   Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:49 am

Quarter finals
Raymond vs L.C.I
Father Lacombe vs Jasper Place
Harry Ainlay vs Ross Sheppard
Bishop Grandin vs Western Canada

Semi finals
Raymond vs Jasper Place
Harry Ainlay vs Bishop Grandin

Finals
Raymond vs Bishop Grandin

Champions
Bishop Grandin in the big upset!
Back to top Go down
unregistered user

PostSubject: Re: 4a provincials 2011 predictions   Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:18 am

Quarter finals
Raymond vs L.C.I
Father Lacombe vs Jasper Place
Harry Ainlay vs Cardston
Bishop Grandin vs Western Canada

Semi finals
Raymond vs Jasper Place
Cardston vs Bishop Grandin

Finals
Raymond vs Bishop Grandin

Champions
Raymond wins a close one
Back to top Go down
View user profile
treyfactor

PostSubject: Re: 4a provincials 2011 predictions   Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:09 pm

Here is the site to give you all the low down during the Tourney.
I would say look out for Shep hosting; they could be the team that a lot of people count out.......
Home court advantage is huge
http://76.12.105.174/page.cfm?s=116
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kraull

PostSubject: Re: 4a provincials 2011 predictions   Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:21 pm

Home court is huge. So don't forget about all the Edmonton based teams being able to bring ALL their supporters.
Figure JP vs Raymond and a close one
Shep Vs Ainley will be interesting with the winner going against either top team from Calgary - Bishop Grandin or Western.

That bottom bracket is completely up for grabs!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
runninred

PostSubject: Re: 4a provincials 2011 predictions   Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:48 pm

does anybody know which games are going to be streamed online?

it looks like an amazing tournament this year, looks like there could be an edmonton team in the finals for both guys and girls this year
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cow-town

PostSubject: Re: 4a provincials 2011 predictions   Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:15 pm

For the boys the only team in the past two years that seems to be able to stop the Raymond train is Grandin and for that reason I'm hoping for a Raymond-Grandin final. Not that I'm cheering for either team but it'd be a great final game. Grandin handily beat Raymond in their own gym in last year's tournament, and I know Grandin had a huge problem with the reffing when Raymond beat Grandin in the Cardston tournament this year. Does anyone know the status of the Crowfoot kid, as his ability to play will be a huge factor in the Grandin-Western show down.
For the girls I'm going to bet on Churchill and Western running into eachother in the finals. I last saw Centennial's coach when he was running the boys program at that school but not much seems to have changed since then, according to the city finals game. Maybe he gets a lot of crap from Centennial parents or maybe he's just a really nice guy but he plays with an 11 girl bench with many of them getting close to even time, and this deep into the season the old line change isn't going to bring home a provinicial banner.
All and all I think Calgary could possibly bring home two banners which would be nice to see.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
treyfactor

PostSubject: Re: 4a provincials 2011 predictions   Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:32 pm

not cheering for either team but you mentioned "a blow out" in Raymonds own Gym last year and Grandin getting "reffed" In Cardston.... we see your loyalties but I think Grandin has to focus on the task at hand because they have a tough road to go on the bottom side of that draw. Grandin is going to have their hands full with Western and then a real tough matchup if they get by them into the semis; I truely think this is a great tourney and who knows maybe well see a few upsets.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
el tigre

PostSubject: Re: 4a provincials 2011 predictions   Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:20 pm

Sorry, I can't keep my mouth shut on this one, and I will admit that I am a south fan. Grandin having a problem with the reffing in Cardston??? which means you are referring to the game that had 3 Raymond starters and 1 other player foul out to Grandins 1 or 2 that fouled out once they started to foul at the end of the game? haha, sorry I'll shut up now.

That being said, I believe Grandin is the team to beat on the bottom half of the draw and I hope its a Raymond vs Grandin final. Should be a fun weekend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 4a provincials 2011 predictions   Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:15 pm

This is a very interesting bracket, especially the bottom which will be a crapshoot between western bg and ainly to see who will make it to the finals, in the top I think Raymond will come out as expected but look for jp to give them a run for their money.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 4a provincials 2011 predictions   Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:52 am

There is more to that game in Cardston than just the total number of fouls. If the officials call every touch foul over the full length of the court is works to Raymond's favour. If they let them play on the ball defense the way FIBA should be officiated, the more physical guard play should work in BG's favour. How many times the ball was taken to the hoop is a closer determining factor in the total number of fouls in that game. Fouls don't have to be even for the game to be well officiated just like a big gap in total fouls called doesn't mean it wasn't.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 4a provincials 2011 predictions   Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:55 am

And yes I'm connected to Grandin but I'm from the south.
Back to top Go down
el tigre

PostSubject: Re: 4a provincials 2011 predictions   Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:39 pm

Exactly my point then. Based on your assessment, Raymond got screwed by the refs and still beat them by 9 or whatever it was.
I'm just being an as$, I know everyone is entitled to their opinion. I think the biggest factor for all teams going to tournaments is that there is no denying games are called differently in edmonton, calgary, and the south. When a south team goes to calgary, they always feel like the refs screwed them over, same when calgary comes here. You are used to one style of play and it gets called differently, so you must overcome that. Provincials is fine because refs are sent from each region.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 4a provincials 2011 predictions   Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:27 pm

Nobody got screwed. It just didn't work out in our favour. Every game is called different and that doesn't mean they are not called fair. The best teams will adjust and be able to play a different style. It just makes it tougher.
Back to top Go down
cow-town

PostSubject: Re: 4a provincials 2011 predictions   Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:06 pm

Treyfactor I never said Raymond was "blown out" in last years game so don't put quotation marks where they don't belong. I said they were "beat handily" and there is a huge difference between the two. Raymond was down by 10-15 points almost the entire game and Grandin forced the game to be played Grandin's way which was really uncommon to see with Raymond. Raymond's coach always does an incredible job of forcing other teams to play their style.
And yes genius I cheer for Calgary, hence the name cow-town. However, I really like to watch the Ralph kid play so my bias for Grandin pretty much goes out the window if these two teams match up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bballadvocate

PostSubject: Re: 4a provincials 2011 predictions   Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:09 pm

Raymond
Lci. Raymond
Lacombe
Raymond
Jp
Lacombe. Western- champs

Shep
Ainlay. Ainlay. Western
Western
Western.
Grandin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NuthinButNet

PostSubject: Re: 4a provincials 2011 predictions   Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:08 am

Bballadvocate..... I am so confused? if you want to make predictions, you have to make it so everyone else can understand them. Cause to me it looks like your writing some sort of Poem?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nikehoop

PostSubject: Re: 4a provincials 2011 predictions   Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:19 am

sorry.....

my final four is

raymond
lacombe

western
grandin

final
wetsren
raaymond

western champs
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NuthinButNet

PostSubject: Re: 4a provincials 2011 predictions   Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:09 am

Is there a way to watch these games online?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 4a provincials 2011 predictions   Today at 6:11 pm

Back to top Go down

4a provincials 2011 predictions
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next