HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

4a provincials 2011 predictions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
unregistered user

PostSubject: Re: 4a provincials 2011 predictions   Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:43 am

Here is the link. Not sure if they will be broadcasting from all of the gyms or just Ross Shep.

http://provincials.asaa.ca/page.cfm?p=1247
Back to top Go down
View user profile
treyfactor

PostSubject: Re: 4a provincials 2011 predictions   Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:55 pm

Cowtown-- thanks for the derogatory name calling. Appreciated it. I think the draw definately favors Raymond because the heavy teams are the bottom side of the draw. 2 tough Calgary match ups and 2 heavy Edmonton Favorites. Raymond has JP on their side. Their is plenty of opportunity for upsets in this tourney!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bballjunkie

PostSubject: Final Four   Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:02 pm

NikeHoop...it will be difficult for Grandin and Western to be in the final four when they will/should meet in the quarterfinals. I think the bottom half of the draw is a crapshoot. Grandin, Western, and Ainlay are so close that it all depends on who is playing well that day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: 4a provincials 2011 predictions   Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:33 pm

PK eliminates LCI, Tyler Wise goes off for 40+, go Blues!! Other results. Lacombe over STFX by 14, Raymond is currently winning by 30+ JP leads McNally by15 at half.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nikehoop

PostSubject: Re: 4a provincials 2011 predictions   Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:01 pm

There ya go. Not sure how many of you saw my thread noting two players from notre dame in red deer. They gave grandin a run for there money they just didnt have the horses. They have 3 solid players and drops off dramatically after them. Good for them for giving it there all.
After watching grandin play there last 3 games they're is too much hype around lj hegwood and not enough on there best overall player. Matt Johnson the kid may look funny but his game is top notch.
Also can someone please tell me how number 21 on grandin Austin I believe his name is was rated top 5 guard in the city. That was something I heard last year watched him play he wouldn't be top 5 on the junior boys team.....

War western getting revenge on those ghosts.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: 4a provincials 2011 predictions   Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:23 pm

The mighty south is 1 for 3 with only Raymond getting a win and Edmonton is 4 for 5, go North.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nikehoop

PostSubject: Re: 4a provincials 2011 predictions   Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:16 pm

Western beats grandin. The coaching of grandin wa horrible down the stretch. They come out of two time outs when it was close and instead of drawing up some plays to get quality shots they are unorganized and turn it over. Why is 21 and 23 in thee game when u have an awsome pg in 13 sitting on the bench. Why disnt 24 even touch the ball in the final quarter. Horrible
Back to top Go down
View user profile
treyfactor

PostSubject: Re: 4a provincials 2011 predictions   Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:01 pm

Semi-Final Action
1 Raymond vs 5 Jasper Place
2 Harry Ainley vs 6 Western

Well it looks like we are down to it and these games should be intense. Shep ALMOST knocked off Ainley and Western and Grandin had a classic Calgary gun fight! The games tonight will definately show us what is left in ecveryones tank. My predictions for tonight will be for a Raymond victory coupled with an Ainley defeat of Western to set up a Classic Provincal Football Rematch of Ainley vs Raymond. Ainleys hometown crowd will help propel them in the semis along with their methodical ball movement with great defense to wear down Western. Western has got to push the ball and shoot the lights out to take down the Titans. Crowfoot is a great guard and should be able to run the offense at a faster pace to push the titans.
In the RHS vs JP game; look for more fast break and lights out shooting. The guards for RHS are impressive and show how quickness makes up for size, but they also have great posts that are tough to stop in transition. JP will hang around til the 3rd qtr but then RHS and its scoring power will pull away when the game counts in the end.

Lets cheer on all these teams

Last edited by treyfactor on Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
treyfactor

PostSubject: Re: 4a provincials 2011 predictions   Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:01 pm

BTW.... why is consolation considered 5th and the loser 6th? Yet the qtr final losers are considered 7-10?
If you lose your first game you are in bottom 8.......
if you win your first game you are top 8.......
The consolation winner should be 9th; does that make sense?
Unless you play a complicated crossover network of games.

I am just saying that a qtr final loser like Grandin will now be playing for 7/8th but they are much stronger than the consolation winners side who is given 5/6. Makes no sense.... in fact the consolation champ might have lost to the quater final loser in the first round.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
runninred

PostSubject: Re: 4a provincials 2011 predictions   Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:40 pm

treyfactor wrote:
Semi-Final Action
1 Raymond vs 5 Jasper Place
2 Harry Ainley vs 6 Western

Well it looks like we are down to it and these games should be intense. Shep ALMOST knocked off Ainley and Western and Grandin had a classic Calgary gun fight! The games tonight will definately show us what is left in ecveryones tank. My predictions for tonight will be for a Raymond victory coupled with an Ainley defeat of Western to set up a Classic Provincal Football Rematch of Ainley vs Raymond. Ainleys hometown crowd will help propel them in the semis along with their methodical ball movement with great defense to wear down Western. Western has got to push the ball and shoot the lights out to take down the Titans. Crowfoot is a great guard and should be able to run the offense at a faster pace to push the titans.
In the RHS vs JP game; look for more fast break and lights out shooting. The guards for RHS are impressive and show how quickness makes up for size, but they also have great posts that are tough to stop in transition. JP will hang around til the 3rd qtr but then RHS and its scoring power will pull away when the game counts in the end.

Lets cheer on all these teams

jp kept it close tell the final 30 seconds, lost rebounds and missed free throws killed them in the end. it was one heck of a fight to the end. I was really impressed with how different ralph's game was compared to last year when they lost to grandin it was a lot more team oriented game compared to the me first game he played last year in that game. chandler campbell lead the comeback in the 2nd quarter when jp was down by about 19 he hit 3 3's, jessie smith helped the comeback to with smart drives and great shots. Jon was amazing tonight, i don't know his #'s, he always seemed to have a hand in on every rebound, made most of his free throws and kept the rebels alive during their slow start. ryan bowie was a real surprise tonight with some nice shots and great defense.

all in all great game by both teams but in the end raymond proved why they are ranked #1
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BBALL 10

PostSubject: Re: 4a provincials 2011 predictions   Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:24 am

BEST GAME EVER WITNESSED

EVER

AINLEY vs WESTERN. Will go down in history forever. Enough said.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
canuck

PostSubject: so right...?   Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:49 am

bballspirit wrote:
The mighty south is 1 for 3 with only Raymond getting a win and Edmonton is 4 for 5, go North.

Despite a great effort from Ainley, Western pulled out the win in double overtime (without Ammon!).

Congrats to North for getting several teams into the top half of the bracket, but like treyfactor pointed out, they won't finish in the top 8 (but they should). Too bad they didn't get a team into the gold medal game.

Can anyone confirm if #21 from Western was playing with 5 fouls?! There was some controversy - he's the guy that kept them in it (along with #5's 3 pointers!) and hit the game winning free throw!

Great semifinal game.

Should be a great battle tomorrow - Crowfoot vs Ralph will also be a fun match up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nikehoop

PostSubject: Re: 4a provincials 2011 predictions   Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:52 am

122-121 must of been a dandy!!!! What do you mean without crowfoot did he foul out??

Yea, the 2 top shooters that i have seen in a long long time will be in the spotlight tomorrow. Will e great to watch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
treyfactor

PostSubject: Re: 4a provincials 2011 predictions   Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:04 pm

It was a great battle; should have gone to triple OT when The BRUTAL ref from Lethbridge(who was equally bad in the zone final there last weekend); decides to make a call that should have been a no call in the last .3 seconds. The kids all gave everything they had and noone needs to hang there heads. Was it past your bedtime ref and you wanted to get the game overwith? I know you don't get overtime pay for overtime but there were lots of things you guys didn't call the whole game and then .3 seconds left you make a call like that come on Shame on you!
Congrats to Western and Ainley you both deserve to be fighting it out a little longer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
treyfactor

PostSubject: Re: 4a provincials 2011 predictions   Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:40 pm

BTW as to my other complaint...... Cardston and LCI will be playing for Consolation( or should I say 5/6 and they finish higher than shep or Paul kane who beat them in the 1st round...
$100 for a family of 6 to get into provincials..... Pretty expensive for High school sports... no family passes........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: 4a provincials 2011 predictions   Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:52 pm

A foul on a lay-up has to be called no matter the time on the clock. $100.00 for that type of entertainment I think is a bargain. Great game fantastic clutch shooting. Western forced to play that 1-3-1- zone which HA was hitting shots against and grabbing offensive rebounds in order to protect players from fouls. Thought it was over when Crowfoot fouled out but Minnifree comes in and makes 3 clutch 3's.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
treyfactor

PostSubject: Re: 4a provincials 2011 predictions   Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:05 pm

Layup.. that was a rebound and the kid jacked the shot to get it off before the clock expired... did it truly show the better team-- that is a bail out compared to the no calls underneath. Yes Minifee saved the day; great on him to step up and hit those clutch threes. Great for Ian too; nice for the fam!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
unregistered user

PostSubject: Re: 4a provincials 2011 predictions   Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:07 pm

treyfactor wrote:
It was a great battle; should have gone to triple OT when The BRUTAL ref from Lethbridge(who was equally bad in the zone final there last weekend); decides to make a call that should have been a no call in the last .3 seconds. The kids all gave everything they had and noone needs to hang there heads. Was it past your bedtime ref and you wanted to get the game overwith? I know you don't get overtime pay for overtime but there were lots of things you guys didn't call the whole game and then .3 seconds left you make a call like that come on Shame on you!
Congrats to Western and Ainley you both deserve to be fighting it out a little longer

I agree. Absolutely horrible call. Hopefully that call will eliminate him from working the final.

Should be a great final.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SlowPoke

PostSubject: Consolation 5th - 6th   Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:11 pm

I seems every year somebody picks up on the 5th and 6th place on the consolation side. It comes up but the ASAA is just not willing to look at it and make an adjustment. It's one of the sadist things in High School basketball next to giving out basketball scholarships based upon community service, school marks and, Oh YA, you're on the basketball team too. Certainly the team that wins the Consolation has a record of 3W - 1L. The loser has a 2W - 2L record and all their wins together are only against first round losing teams. The teams that eventually gets 7th and 8th place have the exact same records only they had the misfortune of losing their second game on the right hand side of the brackets. The winning side. It boggles the mind to think that by losing the first game, you have better chance at a higher placing in the tournament standings. Honestly, what is the incentive of the 7th and 8th seeds to even try and win the first game. Throw it and you now have an excellent chance at coming 5th or 6th. 6th place??? 2W - 2L record and you get 6th place??? You lose to a higher seed, beat two lesser teams and then coast during the Consolation final because the worst you can do is 6th.

Check out Spruce Grove for example. They get and easy win in first round but then have to slug it out against three teams ranked in the top ten of the province. Cardston kind of had a similar ride but by virtue of losing the first game, should not come in ahead of SG.

I propose the following. The bracket made up of the losers of the second round on the winning side of the Draw, give up one place to the Consolation side. 7th place. The winner of this bracket should come in 5th and the loser comes in 6th. 7th place is given up and the other two teams from this side of the draw can only get 8th and 9th. The loser of the Consolation gets no better than 10th. Becoming the 7th place Consolation winner is still better than 9th and the losing team doesn't get rewarded with 6th place any more. I'm just getting sick of our school association trying to make losing teams and players feel better about them selves at the expense of better teams and players.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
treyfactor

PostSubject: Re: 4a provincials 2011 predictions   Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:35 pm

Thank you for getting my point of the consolation being 5/6th-- that is the champs of the bottom 8. It really doesnt matter to the kids all that much once they are eliminated but you cant tell me Cardston or LCI were better than Grandin!!!
so just to prove my point With this 3/6 teams were from the South!! Pretty good for everyone not giving them credit this year!!!!
Way to go south !!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
treyfactor

PostSubject: Re: 4a provincials 2011 predictions   Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:59 pm

Congrats Comets on a hard fought battle. Western shot the lights out again with Crowfoot and Minnefee Keeping the Redmen close with bomb after bomb. Redmen took the lead 51-50 in 3rd qtr after being down 11 in the first half. Game was well played Congrats to everyone. This game proved that Raymond was a TEAM!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 4a provincials 2011 predictions   Today at 3:22 pm

Back to top Go down

4a provincials 2011 predictions
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2