HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Hooplife Fab 20 Grade 10 players

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Hooplife Fab 20 Grade 10 players    Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:22 am

Alban Shala (Burnett)
Andrew Mccaskill (McMath)
Chase Ruttenberg (Sentiel)
David Ahmad (Enver Creek)
Deklan Chung (St Georges)
Elijah Hillis-Gold (South Kamloops)
Jamie Madawan (Palmer)
Joel Lutz (Brookswood)
Jordan Rich (Pitt)
Luka Petkovic (Handsworth)
Luka Zaherijevic (Kitsilano)
Mark Yorath (SMUS)
Matt Hampton (Oak Bay)
Paul Getz (Walnut Grove)
Pavan Lehal (Lord Tweeds)
Peter Spanghel (WRCA)
Sam Ykema (WRCA)
Sebastian Marshall (Pitt)
Trevor Casey (Maple ridge)
Vartan Tanelini (WRCA)

Alt:
Gogy Kumanan (VC)
Justin Ze (Kitsilano)

Back to top Go down
bruce

PostSubject: Re: Hooplife Fab 20 Grade 10 players    Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:40 am

Solid List but gogy as an alt ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Hooplife Fab 20 Grade 10 players    Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:13 am

coach b wrote:
Solid List but gogy as an alt ?

I like Gogy but to have him included, I have to eliminate one out of three- Elijah Hillis-Gold, Mark Yorath, Deklan Chung.
Back to top Go down
bruce

PostSubject: Re: Hooplife Fab 20 Grade 10 players    Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:46 pm

You would remove one of them instead of Alban , Andrew , Pavan ? I think this list may be better then drives to be honest ..
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Hooplife Fab 20 Grade 10 players    Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:52 pm

coach b wrote:
You would remove one of them instead of Alban , Andrew , Pavan ? I think this list may be better then drives to be honest ..

Good suggestion. May be, I will send Alban to Alt and bring up gogy. Drive's selection is more of business oriented. It is not a rocket science. For eg, the only Grade 10 who got all star in the AAA could not merit selection in there.

Any suggestions on grade 9/8 level?
Back to top Go down
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Hooplife Fab 20 Grade 10 players    Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:50 pm

Hello Edward, What evidence do you have that Drive's selections are business-oriented? I wouldn't be so quick to make a negative judgment about Drive's selection process. Basketball BC surely runs in to the same issues when it selects players for its teams and there is no business motivation there. Coaches have different views....they see different players. I am not saying that it cannot be a factor, but that there are more important ones.

In fact, the striking aspect of your list is how similar it is to Drive's. But that is not surprising since your list came up for the same grades as Drive's lists shortly after they had already taken the initiative with the idea and posted their results for a real series of games.

Did you make suggestions to them? I made some suggestions on the grade 8 list for the teams I had seen play on the island (since they had not) and they were open-minded about including them (and did). I know they talked to coaches on the island - no Drive business there. I suspect that they even excluded some potentially deserving Drive players to ensure it was a fair selection.

Remember, we are all trying to support a sport we enjoy. People need to stop denigrating Drive and start concentrating on their own efforts to improve the game. There is nothing to stop you or anyone else from taking the initiative to run their own games and provide a better product.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Hooplife Fab 20 Grade 10 players    Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:59 pm

Mark Scott wrote:

Hello Edward, What evidence do you have that Drive's selections are business-oriented? I wouldn't be so quick to make a negative judgment about Drive's selection process. Basketball BC surely runs in to the same issues when it selects players for its teams and there is no business motivation there. Coaches have different views....they see different players. I am not saying that it cannot be a factor, but that there are more important ones.

In fact, the striking aspect of your list is how similar it is to Drive's. But that is not surprising since your list came up for the same grades as Drive's lists shortly after they had already taken the initiative with the idea and posted their results for a real series of games.

Did you make suggestions to them? I made some suggestions on the grade 8 list for the teams I had seen play on the island (since they had not) and they were open-minded about including them (and did). I know they talked to coaches on the island - no Drive business there. I suspect that they even excluded some potentially deserving Drive players to ensure it was a fair selection.

Remember, we are all trying to support a sport we enjoy. People need to stop denigrating Drive and start concentrating on their own efforts to improve the game. There is nothing to stop you or anyone else from taking the initiative to run their own games and provide a better product.

Hello Mark, To prove my point, I have to discuss every individual players strength and weakness here. I dont want to do that, doing which affect mental fabric of the players concerned. I hope you agree with me on this. One most glaring example of how Drive chose to turn blind eye to players performance in excluding Paul getz, who is a grade 10 and chosen as all star in the just finished AAA at langley. He is the only one grade 10 chosen for that award. Look at grade 9 selection and your son, ethan can school atleast 4 or 5 of the players.

You asked me whether I made suggestion to Drive. Since your son plays there and you are in close touch with them, perhaps they asked you and you know the process of selection. Have they approached any LM school coaches or asked anyone's opinion? Yes, I made negative judgement but drive's process didnt help me to form opinion otherwise.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hooplife Fab 20 Grade 10 players    Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:20 pm

Hello Mark, You got more exposure on grade 8 level than me and not sure how much have you seen junior ball this past season to understand where I'm coming from. Drive is doing great job at the grassroot level and there is no second thought about it. However in this selection, most deserving non-drive players got the raw deal.
Back to top Go down
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Hooplife Fab 20 Grade 10 players    Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:48 pm

Hi Edward,
I really don't have much of an opinion about grade 10s since I have seen so few players to make a judgment. I did give my views on grade 8s (and they didn't take many of them....) and the grade 9s look good to me.

One thing to be sure of though is that an all-star team is only one perspective. There are always kids who deserve to be there who do not make it and there is no way to ensure a level playing field. It is not like a tournament where there is a winner and a loser. At the lower grades it is even harder since they often do not play widely.

Being an all-star in a tournament doesn't guarantee the player deserves to be an all-star for another competition. In my experience, all-stars are often chosen to reward strong play on a particular team (maybe on a weak one) or to reward a player for an especially good tournament. All-stars are often sprinkled around liberally to ensure all teams get a representative rather than rewarding the best players.

The Drive coaches see a lot of players in the lower mainland and valley, but they do not know much about kids from other areas. If you make the case directly to them, even now, they may well add a player as an alternate as not all players can make the game.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Hooplife Fab 20 Grade 10 players    Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:00 pm

Mark Scott wrote:

I did give my views on grade 8s (and they didn't take many of them....) and the grade 9s look good to me.

If this is the fate of the recommendation of the person who is close to Drive organization, I dont know what to make out of it. Yet you want me to recommend. No thanks. Grade 9 is certainly not right in my opinion and I strongly feel my list is more better.

Mark Scott wrote:

All-stars are often sprinkled around liberally to ensure all teams get a representative rather than rewarding the best players.

I wish they have made this criteria known to all which would have saved all our bickering.

Back to top Go down
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Hooplife Fab 20 Grade 10 players    Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:13 pm

Edward, I think I was not clear enough... I did not mean Drive sprinkled around their selections. I meant that often tournaments sprinkle around their tournament selections, so a tournament all-star doesn't always provide much information except in a general sense.

I think it is good that they do not simply take recommendations from people they know. They seek out other advice and opinions. Anyway, glad you are advocating for players you like.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Hooplife Fab 20 Grade 10 players    Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:25 pm

Mark Scott wrote:

Edward, I think I was not clear enough... I did not mean Drive sprinkled around their selections. I meant that often tournaments sprinkle around their tournament selections, so a tournament all-star doesn't always provide much information except in a general sense.

I think it is good that they do not simply take recommendations from people they know. They seek out other advice and opinions. Anyway, glad you are advocating for players you like.

Mark, I respect your opinion and you always emphatically defended Drive elsewhere in the forum. But I sincerely think that I have the right to believe that like Caesar's wife, the All-star selection process should be above suspicion and it is for this reason that I am prepared to dislike Drive's modus-operendi.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
coach fabio

PostSubject: Re: Hooplife Fab 20 Grade 10 players    Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:59 am

Dewitt Workie (SMUS) ?
Tom Campbell (Kits) ?
Montell Lindgren (Duchess Park) ?
Gurkirat Kular (Enver Creek) ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BBfun

PostSubject: Re: Hooplife Fab 20 Grade 10 players    Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:31 am

Sebastien Marshall ? Isn't Luis from Pitt better ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sim

PostSubject: Re: Hooplife Fab 20 Grade 10 players    Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:20 am

I commend the club teams for taking the initiative to providing an alternative to Basketball BC. No organization will ever have it fully correct. The problem with selecting 24 players is...you have a lot of disagreements on players 20-40. It's tough to please everybody.

I'll comment on Edward's list:

Agree with WRCA Big 3...very deserving. Best trio in the province.

Agree with Pavan was Surrey MVP and he dropped 39 on WRCA in the Valley Final 4 against WRCA.

Disagree about the Pitt junior players...very unimpressed in their 2 biggest games of the year(Mouat-Valley Final 4 & then in 3rd place Valley game for the last provincial spot agains Tweedsmuir).

I can't comment on the guys who played up at Senior...except for Jamie. He's a great talent.

I think Trevor Casey is on Fox, not Mouat.

Side note, there was a kid on the Fox junior team. He had some sort of physical ailment with his legs or hips. I've never seen a kid with so much heart. Does anybody know his name??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Hooplife Fab 20 Grade 10 players    Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:10 pm

I agree Edward. This is not a good place to discuss player's weaknesses, at least not in a highly critical way. They are only kids... I guess we will have to part ways on the Drive issue. I will enjoy watching the games anyway. I wonder if there will be enough room in the gym.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Hooplife Fab 20 Grade 10 players    Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:40 pm

Mark Scott wrote:

I agree Edward. This is not a good place to discuss player's weaknesses, at least not in a highly critical way. They are only kids... I guess we will have to part ways on the Drive issue. I will enjoy watching the games anyway. I wonder if there will be enough room in the gym.

Mark, The beauty of Basketball is ever-thrilling whoever is on the floor- be it elementary or HS or College or pros. Once the ball goes up, all the controversy surrounding selection wanes and game on the hand matters most. Have fun.

We agree to disagree on this statment. With great power comes great responsibility and my stand is their due deligence is not straight up and you are not agreeing with me. That is fine. Only thing that bothered me with your argument is your steadfast support to grade 10/9 selctions in spite of your admittance to have seen little of junior ball. Irregardless it is pleasure to hear your side. Let us move on with our own respective conviction.

Last edited by edward on Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Hooplife Fab 20 Grade 10 players    Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:50 pm

I support their process, which seemed fair (as can be) to me. I do not know the grade 10s well at all other than by reputation. The grade 9s I do know certainly are the best I have seen, but it is a limited group. Some of the kids I have never heard of and that includes grade 8 where I have seen a lot of kids. Hopefully the process becomes more transparent over time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach fabio

PostSubject: Re: Hooplife Fab 20 Grade 10 players    Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:58 pm

BBfun wrote:
Sebastien Marshall ? Isn't Luis from Pitt better ?

Luis from pitt is not better than sebastian.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BBfun

PostSubject: Re: Hooplife Fab 20 Grade 10 players    Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:49 pm

Sim wrote:
I commend the club teams for taking the initiative to providing an alternative to Basketball BC. No organization will ever have it fully correct. The problem with selecting 24 players is...you have a lot of disagreements on players 20-40. It's tough to please everybody.

I'll comment on Edward's list:

Agree with WRCA Big 3...very deserving. Best trio in the province.

Agree with Pavan was Surrey MVP and he dropped 39 on WRCA in the Valley Final 4 against WRCA.

Disagree about the Pitt junior players...very unimpressed in their 2 biggest games of the year(Mouat-Valley Final 4 & then in 3rd place Valley game for the last provincial spot agains Tweedsmuir).

I can't comment on the guys who played up at Senior...except for Jamie. He's a great talent.

I think Trevor Casey is on Fox, not Mouat.

Side note, there was a kid on the Fox junior team. He had some sort of physical ailment with his legs or hips. I've never seen a kid with so much heart. Does anybody know his name??

His name is Cam Nicol. He has a problem with his Achilles Tendon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BBfun

PostSubject: Re: Hooplife Fab 20 Grade 10 players    Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:54 pm

What about Paul Getz, he was a AAA Provincial 3rd team all-star. He had an excellent tourney. I think he is one of the most talented and underrated players.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coachm

PostSubject: Burnaby Players?   Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Come on, Burnaby is a weak league but does contain solid players that deserve to be here.

Dejan Posavljak(Burnaby South)
Jonathan Lau(Moscrop)
Gino Pagbilao(Burnaby South)
Bafeh Sheriff(Burnaby Mountain)

All Great Players.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shake&Bake

PostSubject: Re: Hooplife Fab 20 Grade 10 players    Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:16 pm

Coachm wrote:
Come on, Burnaby is a weak league but does contain solid players that deserve to be here.

Dejan Posavljak(Burnaby South)
Jonathan Lau(Moscrop)
Gino Pagbilao(Burnaby South)
Bafeh Sheriff(Burnaby Mountain)

All Great Players.

The South guys might be good because they did come 6th in provincials. But do you really think these guys are on the same level as the top players in BC? I can't say I've seen them play but I doubt they deserve to be mentioned. If you're going to talk about Burnaby, what about David and Glen of Byrne?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hooplife Fab 20 Grade 10 players    Today at 3:14 am

Back to top Go down

Hooplife Fab 20 Grade 10 players
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1