HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast
 
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
okanaganbball



Posts : 428
Join date : 2010-02-22
Location : The Okanagan

PostSubject: Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings   Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:51 am

The story here.

LANGLEY -- It's time to once again gaze into Howie's crystal ball.

Where will the best teams in B.C. senior boys Triple A basketball finish one year from today?

With the 66nd annual B.C. high school championships now in the books, our annual Pre-Preseason Top 10 rankings lean very heavily to an excellent season by the Kelowna Owls, who in 2012 could become the first true up-country winner since Prince George's Duchess Park Condors in 1980.

"Hopefully our big two have learned what it takes and will get everyone ready for what it's all about," said Kelowna head coach Harry Parmar of point guard Mitchell Goodwin and post Braxton Bunce, both members of the Class of 2012.

The Owls were ranked in the top four of The Province's Big 10 rankings all season, but lost to Vancouver College in Thursday's quarterfinal round.

Kelowna's senior varsity rotation next season is expected to rely heavily on at least four members of the Owls' 2010-11 junior team which carried the top seed into the recent B.C. JV championships, including Bunce's brother, 6-foot-5 Darrion. As well, Parmar may decide to bring in current Grade 9 Buzz Truss, a 6-foot-3 off-guard who is talented enough to start at the senior level.

THE PROVINCE'S PRE-PRESEASON TOP 10

1. Kelowna Owls -- Point guard Mitchell Goodwin and 7-footer Braxton Bunce both back, joined by rising Grade 11 forward Darrion Bunce and rising Grade 10 guard Buzz Truss.

2. Vancouver College Fighting Irish -- Junior program always feeding great talent, and its set to join three special seniors in Isaiah Solomon, Cole Penman and Erickson Evangelista.

3. Burnaby South Rebels -- Clutch guard Manroop Clair and big man Nick Irvine now seasoned vets for a team that knows how to play with a No. 1 ranking. Juniors finished sixth in B.C. Depth a concern.

4. Pitt Meadows Marauders -- Juniors were one of the Fraser Valley's elite teams all season and they join returning core led by versatile Trevor Severinski, guard Mitsu Iwai and guard Matt Blackaby.

5. W.J. Mouat Hawks (Abbotsford) -- Plenty of height coming from a junior team that was third at the provincials, and it joins senior core led by guard Cam Friesen and forward Jesse Coy.

6. White Rock Christian Academy Warriors (Surrey) -- Core of Grade11's got great prep for their senior seasons while junior team won the B.C. championship.

7. Kitsilano Blue Demons (Vancouver) -- Big man Luka Zaharijevic, swingman David Burton and Vancouver College transfer guard Kyle Holden make up team's core. Juniors finished fifth in B.C.

8. Terry Fox Ravens (Port Coquitlam) -- Six players who saw heavy rotation minutes are back for Final Four team, led by versatile 6-foot-5 swingman Ryan Sclater. Guard play a question.

9. St. George's Saints (Vancouver) -- Virtually the entire team returns from a rapidly-improving group that fell one win shy of qualifying for the B.C. championship tournament.

10. tie -- Walnut Grove Gators (Langley) -- Its Grade 8-12 program is healthier ever, and current Grade 10 forward Paul Getz set to blossom along with guard Sean Monsanto.

10. -- Sir Charles Tupper Tigers (Vancouver) -- Seven-footer Cameron Smythe and top-flight guard Daniel Kim two of the top holdovers.

Honourable mention -- North Delta Huskies, Claremont Spartans (Victoria), Sir Winston Churchill Bulldogs (Vancouver), Oak Bay Bays (Victoria), Argyle Pipers (North Vancouver), Tamanawis Wildcats (Surrey), Byrne Creek Bulldogs (Burnaby), Enver Creek Cougars (Surrey), Steveston-London Sharks (Richmond)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle.J



Posts : 16
Join date : 2011-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings   Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:45 am

Kelowna and White Rock will dominate next year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CharlesII



Posts : 74
Join date : 2010-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings   Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:28 am

Look for the Churchill Bulldogs to make their way to the top 10 at some points in the season, a great core of grade 10s coming up, with already a solid group of grade 11's
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Baller106



Posts : 28
Join date : 2010-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings   Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:49 pm

This is how i see it...

1. Kelowna
2. Burnaby South
3. Vancouver College
4. White Rock Christian
5. St. Georges
6. Kitsilano
7. Pitt
8. Tamanawis
9. Terry Fox
10. tie- Walnut Grove
10. tie- W.J Mouat

Honorable Mention- Byrne Creek, Sir Charles Tupper, Delta, Claremont, Sir Winston Churchill, Heritage Woods, Argyle, Point Grey, New Westminster
Back to top Go down
View user profile
okanaganbball



Posts : 428
Join date : 2010-02-22
Location : The Okanagan

PostSubject: Re: Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings   Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:06 pm

The rankings look pretty good. I think South Kamloops will actually be back in the rankings next year, bottom of the rankings but still in. They had 2 grade 10 guards who played senior this year, one who is a provincial teamer, and a grade 11 6'8" SF on the senior team in Spencer Jaroszuk. Their juniors were also solid in the Okanagan, with 2 grade 10's moving up who will help them out a bit. I know they lose Wagner, but I actually think they'll be better next year as their guard play this year was weak because it was 2 grade 10's running the backcourt without any experience of senior AAA ball.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach fabio



Posts : 235
Join date : 2010-12-03
Location : vancouver

PostSubject: Re: Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings   Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:42 pm

I don't see burnaby south being top five team next year, yes manroop is a great player but he can't carry the whole team.

I see it like this:

1. Vancouver College
2. Kelowna
3. WRCA
4. Kitsilano
5. Wj Mouat
6. Burnaby South
7. Pitt Meadows
8. Saint Georges
9. Enver Creek
10. Byrne Creek
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trey



Posts : 89
Join date : 2010-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings   Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:28 pm

Anyone know what Howie's crystal ball predictions from last year looked like? As fun as it is to speculate so much can change but I just hope that next will be as exciting and talent laden as this year was. The rankings look pretty fair to me but Kelowna was so disappointing last weekend they will have to be better prepared next year to justify their #1 ranking. The teams that enter the big Tournamnets like the Legal Beagle, Pitt Air Show, Kelowna Invitational, Emerald and the like will have a leg up because it all comes down to how you play one day of one weekend and you have to peak at the right time and the more big tournaments you get into the better off you'll be come mid March. The teams with the best coaching will find their way to the big dance somehow and with Palmer likely going to AA you wonder if there is a chance that the LM's will be getting 5 berths to Provincials or 4 like they did in 2010. What if a good team like Byrne Creek, Kits, VC, Saints, Burnaby South or Tupper finish high in the rankings and don't make Provincials, will they get a play in?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shake&Bake



Posts : 13
Join date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings   Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:44 pm

coach fabio wrote:
I don't see burnaby south being top five team next year, yes manroop is a great player but he can't carry the whole team.

I see it like this:

1. Vancouver College
2. Kelowna
3. WRCA
4. Kitsilano
5. Wj Mouat
6. Burnaby South
7. Pitt Meadows
8. Saint Georges
9. Enver Creek
10. Byrne Creek

Don't underestimate South, they will have Manroop and Nick who are just as good as Mitch and Braxton, not to mention George and Quentin who have played on drive elite and provincial teams. Expect them to be one of the best teams this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
okanaganbball



Posts : 428
Join date : 2010-02-22
Location : The Okanagan

PostSubject: Re: Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings   Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:57 am

Shake&Bake wrote:
coach fabio wrote:
I don't see burnaby south being top five team next year, yes manroop is a great player but he can't carry the whole team.

I see it like this:

1. Vancouver College
2. Kelowna
3. WRCA
4. Kitsilano
5. Wj Mouat
6. Burnaby South
7. Pitt Meadows
8. Saint Georges
9. Enver Creek
10. Byrne Creek

Don't underestimate South, they will have Manroop and Nick who are just as good as Mitch and Braxton, not to mention George and Quentin who have played on drive elite and provincial teams. Expect them to be one of the best teams this year.

While I don't agree that Manroop and Nick are just as good as Mitch and Braxton, I do think he should underestimate South. They're definitely not just Manroop, Nick's a player for sure. Grade 11 on the U17 Provincial Team for instance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hoops-9



Posts : 30
Join date : 2010-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings   Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:44 am

Wow, you guys don't think Mouat will be a top team? They return two of their best players in Jesse Coy and Cam Friesen, and their junior team was really good and had plenty of size.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Determination



Posts : 28
Join date : 2011-03-22

PostSubject: Valley   Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:55 am

I agree. Mouat will be a top team in the fraser valleys. If their big grade 10 post decides to play up, if Cam Friesen can recover completely from his injury, the starting 5 would be very strong with Jesse Coy being a very strong offensive threat. Solid team.

But I believe they face stiff competition with Pitt Meadows. Returning 4/5 starters, Blackaby, Severinski, Hopson and Iwai. They will definately be a top 3 team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach fabio



Posts : 235
Join date : 2010-12-03
Location : vancouver

PostSubject: Re: Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings   Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:08 pm

I don't think Kelowna will be able to hold that #1 ranking, if you look at there junior squad they really have nothing to coming up to support the seniors. The juniors finished 15th in their provincials losing there first three games to sub par teams.

But if Mitch Goodwin and Braxston Bunce can be leaders on the team and help the other players to improve they could be a serious contender. That being said I don't believe Kelowna will win it all. But anything can happen!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Baller106



Posts : 28
Join date : 2010-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings   Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:56 pm

I don't think mouat will be a top a top 5 team next year because they lose just about all of their height. Their juniors did finish high in junior provincials but you can't expect a team with good juniors the previous year to make them a top 5 team. And their juniors were mostly gr. 9...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
okanaganbball



Posts : 428
Join date : 2010-02-22
Location : The Okanagan

PostSubject: Re: Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings   Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:57 am

coach fabio wrote:
I don't think Kelowna will be able to hold that #1 ranking, if you look at there junior squad they really have nothing to coming up to support the seniors. The juniors finished 15th in their provincials losing there first three games to sub par teams.

But if Mitch Goodwin and Braxston Bunce can be leaders on the team and help the other players to improve they could be a serious contender. That being said I don't believe Kelowna will win it all. But anything can happen!

The Kelowna juniors had some bad games when it counted most; however, throughout the year they had some very good scores against top flight competition that put them at that #1 ranking. I wouldn't count them out because of a bad few games at Provincials.

I expect Kelowna to be a top 3-5 team all year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach fabio



Posts : 235
Join date : 2010-12-03
Location : vancouver

PostSubject: Re: Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings   Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:25 pm

I don't recall Kelowna beating many top teams, it was actually a big mystery why Kelowna got the number 1 seed at the junior provincials, then 1st round they lost to balleanas (who lost to both mcmath and kits by 35 in their later games)


the notable teams that i know the kelowna juniors beat were Vc by 1(VC also beat them by 30), and Burnaby south.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bird1



Posts : 23
Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings   Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:18 pm

Here is what I think.

Based on number of grade 11 players who played major role and heavy minutes for their team at BC Tourney and gained VERY VALUABLE EXPERIENCE playing at LEC in a hostile environment. In my view, the experience goes long way and cannot be duplicated any other way then playing at high level tournament.

"RC PALMER" ............Most of their starters were playing at 3rd BC Tourney (AA + AAA Combined)


1. Vancouver College (3 gr 11s played major role in their drive to final)
2. Pitt Meadows ( 5 gr 11s)
3. Tamanawis (5 gr 11s)
4. Burnaby South (2 gr 11s)
5. Kelowna ( 2 gr 11s)
6. Terry Fox (2 gr 11s)
7. Mouat ( 1 grade 11)
8. Kitslano (1 grade 11)

9. St Georges
10. White Rock
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach fabio



Posts : 235
Join date : 2010-12-03
Location : vancouver

PostSubject: Re: Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings   Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:41 pm

Terry fox also had one grade 10 play a major role in trevor casey.

Kitsilano also had grade 10 luka z play a big role.

I also saw teams like bby south, kits, pitt meadows dress 2/3 grade 10s for the experiance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopster



Posts : 60
Join date : 2010-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings   Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:50 pm

okanaganbball wrote:
Shake&Bake wrote:
coach fabio wrote:
I don't see burnaby south being top five team next year, yes manroop is a great player but he can't carry the whole team.

I see it like this:

1. Vancouver College
2. Kelowna
3. WRCA
4. Kitsilano
5. Wj Mouat
6. Burnaby South
7. Pitt Meadows
8. Saint Georges
9. Enver Creek
10. Byrne Creek

Don't underestimate South, they will have Manroop and Nick who are just as good as Mitch and Braxton, not to mention George and Quentin who have played on drive elite and provincial teams. Expect them to be one of the best teams this year.

While I don't agree that Manroop and Nick are just as good as Mitch and Braxton, I do think he should underestimate South. They're definitely not just Manroop, Nick's a player for sure. Grade 11 on the U17 Provincial Team for instance.

I think next year will be similar to this year. 2-3 teams will share the top rankings with 3-4 more that could win on a given night. VC 11's have gained experience and confidence and will anchor a solid team. Isaih is solid at both ends of the floor. KSS needs their next year grade 11's to step up, but they have the 2 top players in BC. Unfortunately Goodwin was the only Owl that showed up at Provincials. I would put South at 3rd and swtch Kits with St. Georges. ST. G's were competitive this year and almost all 11's. Mot sure why Kits is so high.Moaut and Pitt both need pieces to be contenders, very good players, but no stand outs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopnharm



Posts : 30
Join date : 2011-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings   Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:38 pm

I'll take Kits over Saints. Kits have an extremely good junior team coming up. Even if a kid doesn't get much playing time in grade 11, they could still have a big impact in their senior year, and I expect this out of Holden, Vidic and Perron. They should have a skilled team with a lot of brute size, and hopefully a lot better chemistry than they had this season.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballer12



Posts : 29
Join date : 2011-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings   Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:26 am

coach fabio wrote:
Terry fox also had one grade 10 play a major role in trevor casey.

Kitsilano also had grade 10 luka z play a big role.

I also saw teams like bby south, kits, pitt meadows dress 2/3 grade 10s for the experiance.

Fox should be between # 7 & 10 at this point . Fox was much deeper than most people know as Macdonald and Hines took up alot of playing time ( which was well deserved ) Alex Nesterenko will probably play the point very solid defender that would have got way more playing time anywhere else. 6'3" Tanner Moss should be a 20 point guy at either the 2 or 3 spot.Trevor Casey 6'4" , Tyrell Rattich 6'4" and Ryan Slater 6'6" who is one of the top athletic big guys out there should give alot of size and toughness under the hoop . They should have a great rotation from about 4 or 5 more guys that come off the bench. With the coaching Fox gets i wouldnt count them out
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopster



Posts : 60
Join date : 2010-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings   Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:42 am

coach fabio wrote:
I don't recall Kelowna beating many top teams, it was actually a big mystery why Kelowna got the number 1 seed at the junior provincials, then 1st round they lost to balleanas (who lost to both mcmath and kits by 35 in their later games)


the notable teams that i know the kelowna juniors beat were Vc by 1(VC also beat them by 30), and Burnaby south.

I think you are correct, KSS juniors lost handily to VC at the Emerald tournie finals, but won over VC in Kelowna later. Obviously KSS was lucky but this got them the #1 ranking going into Provincials. They should have been seede 6-9 th probably. Adversely they played horribly at the Provincials and ended up playing below their potential.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball



Posts : 18
Join date : 2011-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings   Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:05 am

KSS juniors lost to VC by 30, and then beat Vc by a few after VC had played 3 games that day and a 5 hour bus trip, beating VC didnt really mean anything this year
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketball77



Posts : 13
Join date : 2011-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings   Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:10 am

Bird1 wrote:
Here is what I think.

Based on number of grade 11 players who played major role and heavy minutes for their team at BC Tourney and gained VERY VALUABLE EXPERIENCE playing at LEC in a hostile environment. In my view, the experience goes long way and cannot be duplicated any other way then playing at high level tournament.

"RC PALMER" ............Most of their starters were playing at 3rd BC Tourney (AA + AAA Combined)


1. Vancouver College (3 gr 11s played major role in their drive to final)
2. Pitt Meadows ( 5 gr 11s)
3. Tamanawis (5 gr 11s)
4. Burnaby South (2 gr 11s)
5. Kelowna ( 2 gr 11s)
6. Terry Fox (2 gr 11s)
7. Mouat ( 1 grade 11)
8. Kitslano (1 grade 11)

9. St Georges
10. White Rock

Don't forget Tupper with 2 gr.11 starters, Cam Smythe and Daniel Kim.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BALLBCVAN



Posts : 2
Join date : 2011-03-25

PostSubject: north shore   Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:26 am

will the north shore league next year have more than just four teams? this year all they had were 4 teams

carson G
handsworth
argyle
west van

and who will represent the north shore in next years BC's?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachR



Posts : 7
Join date : 2011-03-27
Age : 40
Location : New West

PostSubject: Fraser Valley   Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:46 am

Tammanawis looks to be a strong team next year as their grade 11 starters seem to be very talented and ready to make a run. Fox will be a contender again as their grade 11 forward had a great year and they have a strong supporting cast. However, the team to watch out for is WJ Mouat. The juniours had a very succesfull season and they are the defending champions. Jessy Coy and a returning Cam Friesen will be dominant players but look out for a strong bench, they pack a real strong punch with some of their bigger boys coming off the pine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings   Today at 7:27 pm

Back to top Go down
 
Howie's Crystal Ball - next year's AAA rankings
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» How to get crystal ball collection.
» Cathedral of Vanity Crystal related question
» Happy New Year everyone.
» Limited time offer tickets for New Year eve party for NYC group discount available
» The Hottest 41 Year Old Right Now

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
HoopLife Forums :: High School :: British Columbia :: BC Seniors-
Jump to: